Side-Kick

Default Re: Killer Instinct

Microsoft is going to learn the hard way like Sony had to

Donut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #52
Havok83
Side-Kick

well this is a new trend as Dead or Alive and Tekken, but just announced free to play versions. It'll be interesting what the pricing will be as I would hope they wouldnt charge $5 a fighter which seems to be the standard rate for DLC of this genre. 1 character is pathetic. Tekken at least gives you 8. Not exactly the best way for a long dead franchise to make its triumphant return

Last edited by Havok83; 06-11-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #53
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I looked up how Dead or Alive does it.

Quote:
Core Fighters includes four playable characters: Ryu Hayabusa, Hayate, Kasumi, and Ayane. Opponents span the same roster as the full version, and all stages are included. Tutorial and training modes make the F2P version as well, but the story mode does not. In terms of in-game purchases, additional characters cost $4, while the story mode is $15.
No idea how Tekken handles it.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #54
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Wonder how much it would cost to buy all the good characters and other stuff. No way I'd pay more than the price of a normal full game. But I do reallly like the look of this game and I wasn't really expecting to. If I could get all my other fighting games free and just pay to use my favourite character I'd probably be ok with that. I love using them all but in the end pretty much stick to one or 2 characters.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #55
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

I honestly don't hate that model. I mean I look at injustice and there's a good 14 or so characters I NEVER touch, so if I could of saved money by just purchasing the ones I would use, I would of done that.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #56
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

My main aim is to try to learn one main character from all the fighting games (used to be quite good with all in Tekken & Street Fighter but not amazing at any particular one) and get better with them every time a new games comes out. Although that strategy goes out the window when the story writes out one of the main characters for a particular game.

As long as all the other cool characters are available to fight against I'd be fine with this method. Although I do like keeping the boxes for fighting games.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #57
Nathan

I wish freaking Marvel Heroes would do that. The characters cost from least popular to most $6, $9, $12 and $20. And not just characters. Alternate outfits cost just as much as playable characters.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #58
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
I honestly don't hate that model. I mean I look at injustice and there's a good 14 or so characters I NEVER touch, so if I could of saved money by just purchasing the ones I would use, I would of done that.
Its not bad in theory but alot of times I don't know which characters I like or am best with until I've played through with them all. I think this also has potential to hurt the online multiplayer as you'll probably run into a higher percentage of the same characters being used more so than traditionally

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #59
Slushy
The Man

Riptor, TJ Combo, and Fulgore were my favorite characters. They had better be in this!

Re: The face of Killer Instinct

I consider that to be either Orchid or Fulgore.

Quote:
Is this a sequel or a reboot or a remake or what? It's called Killer Instinct BLANK and I want to know. Sabrewulf doesn't seem to have his cyborg arms either
I think its a reboot (considering Sabrewulf has his normal arms back) which is understandable. After defeating Gargos, there wasn't any way to progress the storyline.

Twitter: SlushyWWE

Last edited by Slushy; 06-11-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Slushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #60
Soapy
It's happening again...

There was a storyline?

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #61
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
There was a storyline?
Lol, thats my reaction to EVERY fighting game.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #62
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Yes, the Ultratech company was the main catalyst. Orchid was a main character because she was supposed to be investigating them. Jago just got sucked in.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #63
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
Lol, thats my reaction to EVERY fighting game.
Haha, I actually like it when they try though as they usually have a lot of badass characters. Some of the Tekkens had good campaign-type modes, Soul Calibur also. Street Fighter's have been unbelievably bad despite the fact it has decent animated movies based on it. But I thought Mortal Kombat's was supposed to be quite good? How was Injustice's btw?

Old 06-12-2013, 01:30 AM   #64
Doc Ock
1951-2014

I wish we could pluck this from Microsoft's hands and Banjo!

Old 06-12-2013, 01:48 AM   #65
Punisher_MAX
Ol' Painless

i used to be so good with Cinder...

and the story for KI was actually not that bad.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #66
WolfCypher
A NEW CHALLENGER

Its funny. A new, good looking Killer Instinct actually gave me interest in the XB1 (some systems I will break down and buy just for one single game...I rebought a PSP for the promise of Final Fantasy type 0, which never came out in the US...I bought an Xbox just for Ninja Gaiden...but the constant delays made me sell it before it ever came out...).

Even with my distatse for XBoxes (I had both the XB & 360 and sold them after both systems disappointed me), even after all the bad press and dumb restrictions, seing that trailer made me, for a second, consider finding a way to get an XB1...

Then, of course, Microsoft reveals that the game itself, while free, will have NO CONTENT and you have to pay for everyone and everything in the game, and just like that, I snap back to my senses and go exploring videos of the next two SSBs...

I liked TMNT...way more than GotG. There. It's been said.
WolfCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #67
WolfCypher
A NEW CHALLENGER

So, I went out of state, back to my home city, for holiday, and guess what my mom found in her new house given to her by my uncle (R.I.P.)? The very thing I'm bringing back to Colorado with me.

The box itself had been open, but the guide inside, the CD it comes with, and all the instruction booklets were sealed and unopened, and the SNES and controller and game look untouched. It comes with everything it says it includes.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #68
Nathan

Bloody freaking sweet.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #69
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCypher View Post
So, I went out of state, back to my home city, for holiday, and guess what my mom found in her new house given to her by my uncle (R.I.P.)? The very thing I'm bringing back to Colorado with me.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

The box itself had been open, but the guide inside, the CD it comes with, and all the instruction booklets were sealed and unopened, and the SNES and controller and game look untouched. It comes with everything it says it includes.
Oh my lord! I'm coming over!

WOW! Awesome find Wolf! Very jealous!

Old 06-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #70
The Hill
Frat House Member

This model would be ideal if this was say Street Figher or Tekken, series that come out with some regularity. You know Ryu, Chun Li, Kazuya and Nina are all going to function more or less the same way from game to game with few tweeks between games. KI on the other hand has been dormant for well over 10 years, and to my knowledge, none of the deveopment staff have worked on the older games, meaning Cinder, who was a beast before may not be so much this time around. Brings me to another question about the developers. Have they had any experience doing any fighting games? Fighting games tend to be tricky to develop, and it's rare to see a good first attempt at a figting game.

On a side note, I get the feeling if this game does not see massive success, it my go the way of Alan Wake or worse. Afterall this not the type of game M$ tends to push.

"Shepard you're missing it! It's Goddamn GLORIOUS! I'm clawing out bodies out here!" Grunt Mass Effect 2
The Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #71
WolfCypher
A NEW CHALLENGER

I kinda don't want to open the guide or CD, but...I'm pretty much obligated to play the system. Maybe I'll have enough control to leave the rest sealed.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #72
WolfCypher
A NEW CHALLENGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hill View Post
This model would be ideal if this was say Street Figher or Tekken, series that come out with some regularity. You know Ryu, Chun Li, Kazuya and Nina are all going to function more or less the same way from game to game with few tweeks between games. KI on the other hand has been dormant for well over 10 years, and to my knowledge, none of the deveopment staff have worked on the older games, meaning Cinder, who was a beast before may not be so much this time around. Brings me to another question about the developers. Have they had any experience doing any fighting games? Fighting games tend to be tricky to develop, and it's rare to see a good first attempt at a figting game.

On a side note, I get the feeling if this game does not see massive success, it my go the way of Alan Wake or worse. Afterall this not the type of game M$ tends to push.
If KI doesn't do well, it'll be because either the game sucked, or their method of handling its release (the game is free...but the characters, modes, and BG music's gonna cost ya) will put people off. So then M$ will discontinue the franchise and put the blame on us.

"We tried to give you KI but you didn't want it!"

No, we wnated it, you just executed it poorly. The blame won't fall on us, but see if M$ sees it that way.

IF the game fails, of course.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #73
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hill View Post

It's being developed by Double Helix. To my knowledge, they've never worked on a Fighting Game before. Here's a list of games they've developed.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #74
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
It's being developed by Double Helix. To my knowledge, they've never worked on a Fighting Game before. Here's a list of games they've developed.
Oh lol.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #75
The Hill
Frat House Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
Oh lol.
It's a 90% chance it's gonna suck, but really do hope I am wrong on this.

"Shepard you're missing it! It's Goddamn GLORIOUS! I'm clawing out bodies out here!" Grunt Mass Effect 2
The Hill is offline   Reply With Quote