I hope this game delivers.

Midnyte_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #78
Havok83
Side-Kick

Default Re: Killer Instinct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
It's being developed by Double Helix. To my knowledge, they've never worked on a Fighting Game before. Here's a list of games they've developed.
WTH? Rare isn't making it? (I guess not that it matters as they are a shell of their former self). I wonder if any of the original team will be aorund

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #79
WolfCypher
A NEW CHALLENGER

Huh. That is weird. Microsoft wants a new Killer Instinct. Microsoft owns Rare. Rare MADE Killer Instinct. Microsoft wants a KI and they own Rare and Rare made the old KI...

So they have someone else make a new Killer In--yeah that is weird. When you type it out loud, it does sound weird.

I liked TMNT...way more than GotG. There. It's been said.
WolfCypher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #80
zenith16
Side-Kick

it's possible all the original people from Rare aren't there any more. MS may own the studio yeah, but those people could have left over the years or retired.

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #81
Spade
Cool and Chiseled

Most of the people who made Rare what it was are gone. This Eurogamer article by Simon Parkin gives a good look at what it's become. Notice that they're only focused on Kinect? It's going to be like that for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't be surprised if their only involvement is through the copyright.

Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #82
Figs
Banned User

I know it's just one gameplay video, but it looks like they drastically altered the fighting style in this KI game.

That and I'm a bit disappointed that the characters look a bit cartoony.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #83
Havok83
Side-Kick

MS should just license this IP out to NRS and let those guys create a crossover with Mortal Kombat. I think that would sell more for the X1 than this game they are going to put out

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #84
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCypher View Post
Huh. That is weird. Microsoft wants a new Killer Instinct. Microsoft owns Rare. Rare MADE Killer Instinct. Microsoft wants a KI and they own Rare and Rare made the old KI...

So they have someone else make a new Killer In--yeah that is weird. When you type it out loud, it does sound weird.
The good people at Rare left long ago and are splintered everywhere. The company Free Radical was largely made of former Rare employees(I believe what is left is now Crytek UK). Rare's best days ended with the Xbox. A good example of the shadow Rare has become is the crappy Banjo Nuts & Bolts instead of Banjo-Threeie, Perfect Dark Zero not fully being what was promised, and the fact they mainly make Kinect games now. Microsoft has destroyed them IMO.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #85
BATZARRO WWD
Campeador Boricua

This F2P model...it's interesting. I'm not fully against it...in other franchises. However from KI I resent it. It's like they want people to like F2P, so they're kind of easing them in with a franchise that has a lot of expectations to it.

Their argument is that most people who play fighting games tend to stick to a few characters. However, what they don't seem to understand is that this is because of two lines of thinking. "I've gotten really good with this character" and "this character has a great advantage over all the others".

The former comes from experimentation. Most casual players will generall stick with a Ryu type character that's mostly balanced while learning the ropes, and by the end they'll only pick the Ryu type because that's the one they learnt to use. In this game, those people will pick Jago, get good with him, buy nothing.

The later are either a smaller minority if fight game aficionados, or people who went online and looked that Magneto, Sentinel and Storm are broken. In MVC2 like 90 percent of teams I met included either those, or Cable. So I guess if MVC2 where in this model the average player would spend 15 dollars on the game. HOWEVER... KI is not a 3character tag team game. As soon as it develops that one character is irreparably broken, then most people will only be willing to buy that one. I guess Double Helix COULD nerf the offending character. Hey theorically they could make a character ridiculously powerful, then as he peaks in buyage nerf him, driving up sales for other characters!

BATZARRO WWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #86
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

You know, it sounds good in theory. If you happen to like the unlocked character you pay nothing, or you spend a couple dollars to unlock your favorite character. When I play a fighting game, I also focus mostly on one or two characters, to get really good with. But when I play with friends, we often just mess around by hitting random, and fight with characters we are absolutely terrible with. Those matches are often the most fun. So I'd rather be able to pay $60, and get access to all 20+ playable characters, just to be able to goof off if I want. Or wait a couple months, to get the exact same content for half the price.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #87
zenith16
Side-Kick

Killer Instinct Revival Idea Came From Microsoft, Says Double Helix. June 13, 2013 . 4:30pm

“It took a while for the opportunity to arrive,” David Verfaillie, Design Director at Double Helix, shared with me.

source:Siliconera

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #88
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Microsoft and Double Helix explain how Double Helix got the job and how the free to play business model works.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #89
The Hill
Frat House Member

Well, they got a KI veteran to help with this game. It is a small step in the right direction, but then again, Tao Feng had John Tobias on the development team and we never heard from that game again. Bringing it to EVO should be interesting. It tells me they are serious about doing this game justice.

"Shepard you're missing it! It's Goddamn GLORIOUS! I'm clawing out bodies out here!" Grunt Mass Effect 2
The Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #90
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Some neat pics from DH's site on Jago:

Old 06-16-2013, 04:49 AM   #91
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Fighting game Pros Justin Wong and Alex Valle give their approval of KI 3 w/first impression play:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Midnyte_Sun; 06-16-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #92
Doc Ock
1951-2014

I could see myself getting a One years down the line just for this game. But only Banjo-Threeie would guarantee a instant purchase!

Last edited by Doc Ock; 06-16-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Doc Ock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:16 AM   #93
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

I've finally got a lot of reading and video input on the XBox One and it seems like they are aiming in the right direction, not only with KI (hiring Beanland to approve of the music, hiring real fighting gamers to test the mechanics, Ken Lobb overseeing the project, and sending development updates to Rare), but also with creating all in one entertainment system.

There was a game analyst who worked for Microsoft and Sony that said the price will most likely drop in less than a year after release. They also said that Cable providers might provide subsidies for these consoles because of the high bandwidth requirements that will force consumers to have faster internet. It will be some retail relationship like AOL used to have with PC's to get a contract in.

If Killer Instinct is back, it is only going to be a matter of time for Banjo Three-ie.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #94
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
The good people at Rare left long ago and are splintered everywhere. The company Free Radical was largely made of former Rare employees(I believe what is left is now Crytek UK). Rare's best days ended with the Xbox. A good example of the shadow Rare has become is the crappy Banjo Nuts & Bolts instead of Banjo-Threeie, Perfect Dark Zero not fully being what was promised, and the fact they mainly make Kinect games now. Microsoft has destroyed them IMO.
Haha no. They were done way before Microsoft bought them. Their best days were Snes. They had a few good games for the n64 and Star Fox was average at best on the Gamecube. I don't see the big deal that they're not making this one. Just because they're name is Rare doesn't mean they know how to make a fighting game. Double Helix knows what they're doing and this looks great. Love the free to play idea they're rocking with this

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #95
The Hill
Frat House Member

Still some small details that still bother me with this game, but from interviews and some articles I've read, the game it's self may turn out better than i originaly thought.

"Shepard you're missing it! It's Goddamn GLORIOUS! I'm clawing out bodies out here!" Grunt Mass Effect 2
The Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #96
Tron Bonne
There's Evil Here. Within

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Haha no. They were done way before Microsoft bought them. Their best days were Snes. They had a few good games for the n64 and Star Fox was average at best on the Gamecube. I don't see the big deal that they're not making this one. Just because they're name is Rare doesn't mean they know how to make a fighting game. Double Helix knows what they're doing and this looks great. Love the free to play idea they're rocking with this
Uh, some of their best work, bar none, was on the N64. They did some good stuff during the SNES/Genesis era (the DK games, most notably), but their golden years are looked at as their N64 output.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #97
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
Uh, some of their best work, bar none, was on the N64. They did some good stuff during the SNES/Genesis era (the DK games, most notably), but their golden years are looked at as their N64 output.
Yeah Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, and Donkey Kong 64 are some of my favorites of all time. Jet Force Gemini, Diddy Kong Racing, Goldenye, Killer Instinct Gold, and Conker's Bad Fur Day are fun as well. Never played Mickey's Speedway USA and Blast Corps.

Rare was definitely at their best on the N64. I even liked Starfox Adventures on the Gamecube.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #98
jacobed
Banned User

Perfect Dark, Goldeneye and Jet Force were great. DK got very tiresome, Banjo as well. I did love Conker but it came way too late.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #99
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

I think they also made RC racing game on NES which was fantastic. Although Double Helix is making it, I've seen Rare's logo thrown in some advertisements.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #100
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

This is looking pretty good. Although it's just another good beat'em up to me. I love pretty much all of the main beat'em ups but wouldn't buy a console for one (would have in the past). This game seems to have a lot of fans though. I never played the original and didn't even really know too much about it until recently.