The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #651
Sebastos
Bebop User

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Torres was the invisible man today...

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Sebastos; 11-03-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #652
kit1982
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttotheusher View Post
Moving the thread back to football, Piers Morgans twitter has inspired me. I want everyone to name the ultimate 6-a-side team for there personal team, i.e Leeds, Liverpool, Arsenal, United. To make it simpler, it has to be Premier League onwards, no old classics like George Best... Go!

Nigel Martyn - completely biased but I thought he should've been Englands number 1 from 98 onwards, he kept us up single handedly in 97, a regular in the PFA team of the year in a time of some highly rated keepers in the PL. LEGEND!

Rio Ferdinand - up until his cringeworthy statement I've always been a massive admirer, barely ever gave away a foul, never booked. Whenever I think of our best CB's my heart says Radebe, but my head says Rio.

Gary Mcallister - class, look what he did at Liverpool as an old midfielder past his prime?

Lee Bowyer - again another bloke who was sorely overlooked back in the day

Harry K****l - absolute merc who stuck two fingers up to the club when he left..... but boy could he play, some amazing goals and all the talent in the world. Just unfortunate he got so many injuries.

Mark Viduka - Alan Smith ws the posterboy but big Mark was the talent, he may have made Paddy Kenny look slim and Berbatov a workhorse, but I've never seen close control or finishing like his in a Leeds shirt. Big game player aswell.

Honourable mentions:

Tony Yeboah
JFH (he's ours wobbly! )
Lucas Radebe
Jermaine Beckford
Sir Rodney Wallace
Carlton Palmer

Last edited by kit1982; 11-03-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #653
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastos View Post
Agreed. Why RDM left him on to take off Moses is a mystery to me.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #654
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey-dude View Post
Its interesting to note the immediate defensive act by 2 united fans in this thread though despite not even a slight implication that United were the ones behind the bribing
It's no more interesting than the fact that you brought it up on a day when Manchester United benefited from 1 questionable decision & an offside goal being ruled onside & Liverpool losing out from an onside goal being ruled offside with Everton benefiting.. Liverpool's 2 biggest rivals.. strange that.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #655
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit1982 View Post
Nigel Martyn - completely biased but I thought he should've been Englands number 1 from 98 onwards, he kept us up single handedly in 97, a regular in the PFA team of the year in a time of some highly rated keepers in the PL. LEGEND!

Rio Ferdinand - up until his cringeworthy statement I've always been a massive admirer, barely ever gave away a foul, never booked. Whenever I think of our best CB's my heart says Radebe, but my head says Rio.

Gary Mcallister - class, look what he did at Liverpool as an old midfielder past his prime?

Harry K****l - absolute merc who stuck two fingers up to the club when he left..... but boy could he play, some amazing goals and all the talent in the world. Just unfortunate he got so many injuries.

Mark Viduka - Alan Smith ws the posterboy but big Mark was the talent, he may have made Paddy Kenny look slim and Berbatov a workhorse, but I've never seen close control or finishing like his in a Leeds shirt. Big game player aswell.

Honourable mentions:

Tony Yeboah
JFH (he's ours wobbly! )
Lucas Radebe
Jermaine Beckford
Sir Rodney Wallace
Carlton Palmer
Love Garry Macca (and his baldy head)

Kewell was great for you, never did it for us, always thought he would put his injuries behind him and do something special but bar a couple of decent games he completely fizzled out, if I didnt have his name on the back of my 04/05 kit I'd forget he played for us, let alone in 2 champions league finals! speaking of Harry, how did you feel about Kewell when he joined Galatasary btw kit? It shocked me that he signed for them

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 11-04-2012, 07:03 AM   #656
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
It's no more interesting than the fact that you brought it up on a day when Manchester United benefited from 1 questionable decision & an offside goal being ruled onside & Liverpool losing out from an onside goal being ruled offside with Everton benefiting.. Liverpool's 2 biggest rivals.. strange that.
It's not odd that i bought it up on a weekend where there were three huge wrong decisions by officials that were match deciders at all - although it's more convenient for your argument to ignore the Arteta call I suppose

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 11-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #657
The Englishman
Marching On Together

Quote:

Kewell was great for you, never did it for us, always thought he would put his injuries behind him and do something special but bar a couple of decent games he completely fizzled out, if I didnt have his name on the back of my 04/05 kit I'd forget he played for us, let alone in 2 champions league finals! speaking of Harry, how did you feel about Kewell when he joined Galatasary btw kit? It shocked me that he signed for them
I feel like he stabbed me in the back. Was awesome for us though...

"For England James?" "No......For me"

"The things i do for England."
Old 11-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #658
The Englishman
Marching On Together

Quote:

Honourable mentions:

Tony Yeboah
JFH (he's ours wobbly! )
Lucas Radebe
Jermaine Beckford
Sir Rodney Wallace
Carlton Palmer
Haha Carlton Palmer?

"For England James?" "No......For me"

"The things i do for England."
Old 11-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #659
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

So QPR have to sack Mark Hughes right? I mean, if you can't beat Reading with that payroll.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 11-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #660
Sebastos
Bebop User

Well they're no longer last, baby steps.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #661
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

same old story - this literally is summing up our season - completely control a game - dont score - let opposition score

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 11-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #662
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

What do you think you guys need Spidey? Another striker?

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 11-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #663
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

yeah a striker quite badly - Luis can play on the left like he did at Ajax then

Fantastic goal from Suarez today

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 11-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #664
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Someone brought it up before but I do find it ironic that Andy Carrol was shipped out for not fitting into this system and for the last God knows how long it's been cross after cross into the box.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #665
kit1982
Side-Kick

Quote:

No pun intended it felt like a stab in the back as he also took the number 19 shirt which he was wearing for us on that night in 2000. Sadly it didn't really suprise me, he made no secret of the fact that the day he left Elland Road he never gave us a second thought. The whole saga of him leaving and announcing on Aussie TV he was signing for you, just left a sour taste in the mouth. We were in the **** and with Peter Reid in chrge. If he'd just come out and said "the clubs in trouble, I want to challenge for trophies I'm going to Liverpool" I don't think anyone would've complained, you lot were winning trophies left right nd centre then. But to do what he did, take £3 million from his own transfer fee and then stick 2 fingers up to the fans? Unforgivable, it's a shame because the blokes taboo at Elland Road when really he's one of our best youth products.
I'll always remember seeing the open top bus going through Liverpool with the CL trophy, judas was right at the front holding the cup aloft like he'd won the ****ing thing on his own! How long did he play 20 minutes?

Last edited by kit1982; 11-04-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #666
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Good game between Liverpool and Newcastle, I thought Liverpool had a lot of possession in the first half but Newcastle did look a threat on the break and scored a great goal, what a strike from Cabaye even though Liverpool may question the ease in which Ban Arfa got that cross in.

Second half was dominated by Liverpool who showed a lot more cutting edge and Newcastle barely got into the half at all. Suarez may well be a horrid little goblin but he's a hell of a player and scored a wonderful goal today, the technique and composure was world class. I also think in Sterling, Allen and Suso Liverpool have 3 young talents who can be big players for at least another decade at the club.

Coloccini let himself and his team down with the red card. I am sure Suarez is frustrating to play against with his ability on the ball, terrier like workrate and the fact he's always looking to get you in trouble, but there's no excuse for deliberately trying to cripple him, if your beef is that strong be a man and confront him post-match, you don't try to injure a fellow player, it's cowardly.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 11-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #667
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Petrol View Post
Yeah, the whole atmosphere seemed more friendly and respectful today rather than the frosted and heated ones of the past. It was nice to see, and I'd like to see more of it. I think he just asked him for his shirt and he gave it to him, that's all I can make of it there.
Yep, there was some unpleasent Saville related chanting from a minority of both supporters apparently, but the teams and the majority of fans were great. I feel a bit sorry for Santos, he's been hung out to dry for his performance and then bollocked for the shirt swapping thing.

Quote:
I don't know what the truth is, but it obviously won't be in the realms of the other Footie Manager teams resources, and if we identify a decent target, it's quite likely they'd gazump us just for the sake of it to prevent us from strengthening when they have no need for them whatsoever.

The future looks rather glum for us from here on out for the foreseeable future.
That's the problem isn't it? We have a similar issue but admittedly Fergie is willing to spend a bit more, but unless players are adamant at wanting to come to our clubs, we cannot outbid the true financial giants for the very best.

This is the first season I genuinely fear for your top 4 spot mate, hopefully in January you get a couple of players in, but I wonder why the team seems so deflated, they were playing well even if the results weren't coming, but the last couple of league games I think you've barely registered a shot on target and heads look down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
I don't think that's been confirmed, but Mickel was apparently furious when he went in and even more furious when he left, so I'd think it was him or maybe Newton. I seriously doubt RDM or the executive guy would have been the one.
I was thinking the same unless Goulay is more violent than he looks lol. In truth it doesn't seem like something Mikel would say either as he seems quite a placcid sort of guy.

Quote:
For the clubs sake I certainly hope they have something, but if so they are not allowed to share that while the police are involved.

It's for that reason I'm getting a little annoyed with other managers and ex-referees like Graham '3 cards' Poll (of all people) sticking their oar in so publicly, basically inferring Clattenberg is innocent and Chelsea are a disgrace for going after him. They were not there so they don't know what happened. None of us do atm.

And RDM and the club cannot say sod-all about this to defend themselves while the investigation is ongoing (RDM's frustration at not being able to say anything at yesterdays press conference was more than apparent) but everyone else and their uncle can opine all they like, with most clearly prejudging the case in Clattenberg's favour (pretty much a reverse of the Terry case in fact).

Personally I think they should all stay out of it until the facts of the matter are revealed. If we have been out of order, they can take all the shots at us that are deserved as I would be ashamed of the club myself for doing it.

If we have not though, then I would hope those who have been the most outspoken this week would have the courtesy to apologise.
I can understand your frustration, I think many who perhaps know Clattenburg have spoken up since he too can't say anything and he's carrying the stigma of racism right now. The general feeling in football seems to be disbelief as he has no history of racist remarks and it just seem incredulous that he could be so stupid.

I personally hope the FA sort things out quick, the last thing the game needs is this dragging on for months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastos View Post
Falcao in January will spell the end for Torres.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 11-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #668
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

My United 5-a-side team:

Peter Schmeichel - Arguably the best keeper ever so this is an easy choice.

Rio - In his prime the perfect mix of reading the game, speed, tackling accuracy and distribution.

Roy Keane - The steel in the treble, big engine and would help out defensively.

Ryan Giggs - The best left winger of his generation and a consistent performer for United.

Cristiano Ronaldo - Simply one of the best players ever, amazing scoring record and the total package as an attacker.

Ruud Van Nistelrooy - A great striker who came along for us at the wrong time for him medals-wise. A classic box striker so ideal for 5-a-side.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #669
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

Quote:
No pun intended it felt like a stab in the back as he also took the number 19 shirt which he was wearing for us on that night in 2000. Sadly it didn't really suprise me, he made no secret of the fact that the day he left Elland Road he never gave us a second thought. The whole saga of him leaving and announcing on Aussie TV he was signing for you, just left a sour taste in the mouth. We were in the **** and with Peter Reid in chrge. If he'd just come out and said "the clubs in trouble, I want to challenge for trophies I'm going to Liverpool" I don't think anyone would've complained, you lot were winning trophies left right nd centre then. But to do what he did, take £3 million from his own transfer fee and then stick 2 fingers up to the fans? Unforgivable, it's a shame because the blokes taboo at Elland Road when really he's one of our best youth products.
I'll always remember seeing the open top bus going through Liverpool with the CL trophy, judas was right at the front holding the cup aloft like he'd won the ****ing thing on his own! How long did he play 20 minutes?
yeah think it was 20 mins before he went off injured (ran back on pretty fast when we won it) I do remember rumours that he wasnt injured and just said he was to protect his image as it looked like it was going to be embarrassing (no idea if there is any truth to that) I also remember a rumour that he had in his contract he had to start in any cup final if he was fit (think that cropped up in the 2007 champions league final as noone could understand how he got picked to start as he had been out injured) - a shame because when he was inury free and working hard he was pure class, that rarely happened in his anfield career though

on a similar point to the last remark in your post it pisses me off a bit when I look at photos of Gerrard lifting the trophy that night and lots of fringe players pushed their way to the front for the big moment leaving people like Hyypia, Alonso, Garcia nowhere to be seen

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 11-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #670
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
"I was not here when Cristiano Ronaldo played at Manchester United, but the way everyone talks about him till now shows what he meant to this team. Yesterday just before the match in the dressing room everyone was talking about him and about his first goal he scored on this day for Manchester United and how after that he never stopped. These lads still talk about him a lot of times and everything about him is so different not only his football but also his personality that I get to hear from everyone here. He's a hero at united still. A Hero they can never forget. I wish I got a chance to play alongside him back then"

-Alexander BŁttner
I thought this was interesting, for as cocky as he was in his competitive zone, off the field I've heard many good things said about him and it's clear what impression he left on the players he was with day in day out.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #671
Van Petrol
A Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
I thought this was interesting, for as cocky as he was in his competitive zone, off the field I've heard many good things said about him and it's clear what impression he left on the players he was with day in day out.
If by any chance United managed to bring him back then everyone may as well throw the towel in. A potential Rooney-Ronaldo-Van Persie combo would be too much for anyone.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #672
Van Petrol
A Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Yep, there was some unpleasent Saville related chanting from a minority of both supporters apparently, but the teams and the majority of fans were great. I feel a bit sorry for Santos, he's been hung out to dry for his performance and then bollocked for the shirt swapping thing.
Oh was there? I didn't pick up on any of it. Yeah, he has gotten a rough ride, but I can't deny he really has been a weak link in our side. As for the shirt swapping thing, it really doesn't bother me, but I can see how it can appear to be a bit demoralising and uninspiring for some who feel we need to be waking up and trying to come back and win the game. These days I've learnt to start taking all our negative results as on the chin as you can and they never seem to bother me, nor do I have any lingering sickness in the stomach feelings as the result of said results. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing, as it seems as though I feel this club is all but done under the current direction and will it is taking and showing.

Quote:
That's the problem isn't it? We have a similar issue but admittedly Fergie is willing to spend a bit more, but unless players are adamant at wanting to come to our clubs, we cannot outbid the true financial giants for the very best.
Nothing will change, at most it will be an 'under the radar' or 'lack of interest by other club's' player that is very good to decent, but not world class, and we really do need a few of those. The emerging presence of FM teams, is making this already frustrating dilemma and scenario even more so.

Quote:
This is the first season I genuinely fear for your top 4 spot mate, hopefully in January you get a couple of players in, but I wonder why the team seems so deflated, they were playing well even if the results weren't coming, but the last couple of league games I think you've barely registered a shot on target and heads look down.
The warning signs have been there for years, but with no intent to heed the warnings and act accordingly. If we don't get it, it's the fault of those with the power to make changes and decisions, but I feel they will inevitably try to shift the blame to the fanbase for a lack of support whilst also justifying their high salaries and bonuses. It sickening to know that we are the ones lining their pockets, creating their profit, and are expected to have no voice, but just accept what they give us, and when they fail, we're the ones to blame for it.

For the first time in nearly twenty years as an Arsenal supporter, I am beginning to become truly disillusioned with the club, and am getting to the stage where I couldn't care one way or the other what they do to it. We keep hearing that in the long run we'll be better off, but the distance to the moment becomes longer and longer after every successive season, with the powers that being moving the goalposts further and further away.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #673
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
It's not odd that i bought it up on a weekend where there were three huge wrong decisions by officials that were match deciders at all - although it's more convenient for your argument to ignore the Arteta call I suppose
I only watched the Everton/Liverpool, Chelsea/Manchester United games last weekend so ironically, I've no idea even what it was given that all that has been talked about in the media is the Chelsea/Manchester United/Racism "stories".

I'm not gonna talk about it anymore, you made a remark as to why I responded to your comment about corruption & I've told you why. You asked why I made it about Manchester United & the answer is simple. In the original post I responded to you were talking talking about Torres's questionable 2nd yellow, then said underneath about referees being on payrolls.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #674
bapi
Side-Kick

Wow, we were so pathetic against WHU. And today Mancini said Dortmund have more CL experience than City. And all his s**** about money. Ridiculous. Wonder what he thinks about Duncan Castles' article (writes for The National, owned by Mubadala) - City sources said Sheikh Mansour wants european success too and is ready to make hars decisions so Mancini is under pressure and some even think he's a dead man walking.

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 11-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #675
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

I think Mancini is gone by the end of the season regardless of the outcomes. I think City realize that to be able to keep up with the rising wages and played demands they need to do well in the Champions League.

Closed Thread