Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #726
newwaveboy87
automatic systematic

Default Re: The Sentinels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Jason.

What? You know you can always text me if you're bored.

As I go deep into the funnel of love

Tumblr

Liz Lemon is my spirit animal
Old 08-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #727
newwaveboy87
automatic systematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Bastion would be a good villain, but we already have Trask as the main villain and I think the Sentinels should only appear in DOFP, like after this one, I would like to see another villain like Mr. Sinister and Apocalypse.
For the love of God, NO TO APOCALYPSE.

He's just the lamest, most annoying villain. Well, Arcade and Mojo are much worse. But Apocalypse is just so annoying with the grand diva boasting and inability to actually do anything.

Oooh, he mind-controlled some X-Men and made them turn bad. Again. For the 100th time. That's cool. I guess.

Yes to Mr. Sinister. I thought First Class would have been a little better if the Hellfire Club had just been Mr. Sinister.

Tumblr

Old 08-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #728
Rockteur
X-Men Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newwaveboy87 View Post

He's just the lamest, most annoying villain. Well, Arcade and Mojo are much worse. But Apocalypse is just so annoying with the grand diva boasting and inability to actually do anything.

Oooh, he mind-controlled some X-Men and made them turn bad. Again. For the 100th time. That's cool. I guess.

Yes to Mr. Sinister. I thought First Class would have been a little better if the Hellfire Club had just been Mr. Sinister.
Apocalype is a boaster lol

Old 08-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #729
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Mr sinister will most likely be for cyclops and jeans FC origin, or at least that would be the wise approach

Old 08-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #730
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:

Yea I don't need an Age of Apocalypse movie.

I'll understand if they do it, since it's such a huge arc in the comics, but A-Poc has never been my favorite villain.

I agree with you though... Mr. Sinister getting some sort of involvement in the series would be welcome. As a matter of fact, I think Mr. Sinister would be a great villain for a potential 3rd First Class movie that involved the introductions of Cyclops and Jean Grey.

If they do do it, then Mr. Sinister should be X-Men: First Class 3, while Age of Apocalypse would be X-Men 5 with the main trilogy cast, taking place after the events of X-Men: Days Of Future Past.

Another possible post X-Men: Days Of Future Past sequel idea could be Onslaught. I don't know all the details of the Onslaught saga, but from my understanding of what it entails, it could be a good way to continue on without needing the involvement of Patrick Steward or Ian McKellen if their ages become hindering to future productions.

*X-Men: Days Of Future Past I am counting as X-Men: First Class 2, as well as X-Men 4, since it is in essence filling both of those roles.

Last edited by Nell2ThaIzzay; 08-11-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #731
newwaveboy87
automatic systematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockteur View Post
Apocalype is a boaster lol
He's been around since the days of ancient Egypt, when he was like the ONLY mutant around. And in-between then and now he couldn't manage to overpower humanity and take everyone as his slaves....?

Dude. You're lame.

I always crack up at him and his ridiculous voice in the 90s cartoon. I just remember how horrifically acted this one line was: "Because I told him too!" And I practically wet myself laughing from how bad it is.

So I've never gotten the obsession with making him try to appear more deadly and threatening in video games, cartoons and comics. He's boring, but X-Men Evolution actually managed to make him interesting.

Tumblr

Old 08-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #732
newwaveboy87
automatic systematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Another possible post X-Men: Days Of Future Past sequel idea could be Onslaught. I don't know all the details of the Onslaught saga, but from my understanding of what it entails, it could be a good way to continue on without needing the involvement of Patrick Steward or Ian McKellen if their ages become hindering to future productions.
*shudder*

No. And let's just move on.

I know there's other cool storylines to use for sequel ideas, but we are running out of actual threatening and cool villains from the comics. We have Sinister, maybe Cassandra Nova, the Friends of Humanity could make an interesting minor addition, and, uh, well...umm...

Tumblr

Old 08-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #733
NanaT
X-Men United!

Well there's Purifiers, U-Men, the Sisterhood, (I'd actually like to see this one perhaps led by Mystique instead of the Red Queen.) Omega Red, Predator X, Shadow King, Danger. And there are a lot of other X-men stories that don't necessarily focus on villains but just on the X-Men team dynamics.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
Old 08-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #734
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

The main ones I would like to see are Mr. Sinister and the Friends of Humanity.

If we ever did get Apocalypse or Onslaught, I wouldn't shed a tear or anything, and I probably wouldn't even feel a tinge of disappointment or apprehensiveness, but at the same time, if we never got either of these characters on film, I wouldn't feel any sense of loss either.

But I do believe that Mr. Sinister and Friends of Humanity belong in the First Class time period, while Apocalypse or Onslaught belong in post-Days Of Future Past time period. With the events of X-Men: The Last Stand, and now especially the post-apocalyptic future of X-Men: Days Of Future Past, I don't really see what villains they could go with to continue on with the main trilogy cast if not someone like Apocalypse or Onslaught, unless they got REAL froggy and went Shi'ar, which I want to see even less than A-Poc or Onslaught.

On the other hand, I think that Mr. Sinister would be a fitting villain for a First Class movie that introduces Cyclops and Jean Grey (and I think any First Class 3 -should- introduce these characters and have a post X-Men Origins: Wolverine / pre X-Men team), and I also think that Friends of Humanity would be a good villain to lead into X-Men, showcasing humanities developing hatred of mutantkind, setting the stage for the events of X-Men.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #735
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
*shudder*

No. And let's just move on.

I know there's other cool storylines to use for sequel ideas, but we are running out of actual threatening and cool villains from the comics. We have Sinister, maybe Cassandra Nova, the Friends of Humanity could make an interesting minor addition, and, uh, well...umm...
That's the wrong approach, I think. For a movie, the story concept should come first and then find a villain who fits it.

If they decided to do a story that showcases Storm's background, then Shadow King or Apocalypse could factor into it. The idea of the first superpowered mutant is an interesting one, and if they could develop a compelling idea around that, it would work.

Arcade would work best as someone hired to capture the X-Men for some other bigger villain.

Shi'ar and Starjammers could eventually be used. I liked the story involving Moses Magnum. Sinister is great, of course, and ties in nicely to Jean and Cyclops. If they used the Savage Land, it could involve Garrok.

Singer does tend to come up with smart ideas so he would a way to use these other villains. Like I said, a compelling story idea is the first stop.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #736
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
Well there's Purifiers, U-Men, the Sisterhood, (I'd actually like to see this one perhaps led by Mystique instead of the Red Queen.) Omega Red, Predator X, Shadow King, Danger. And there are a lot of other X-men stories that don't necessarily focus on villains but just on the X-Men team dynamics.
I don't think a lot of these are worthwhile to build a film around.

The heavy hitters like Omega Red and Shadow King - well, I think Shadow King, while a good villain, might be a little too out there for the grounded film universe (I know the series has embraced the more fantasy elements in recent movies, but we still haven't touched on anything like the Astral Plane yet), and Omega Red I think is more of a small scale villain or someone that should be in a Wolverine movie. And something like just showing the X-Men team dynamics, and the confrontations they face within themselves - well something like that might work in an ongoing comic or TV show, but nobody wants to go to a big budget X-Men film only to see the personal drama of a bunch of superheroes.

Shadow King and the Astral Plane could definitely be an interesting dynamic however, if done right. I also think that for anyone wanting to bring Cyclops and Jean back, the Astral Plane is a much better way of doing that than Days Of Future Past. Like I've said before, Days Of Future Past isn't to retcon things and undo events of previous stories. However, it could easily be explained that, with Jean being a telepath, all the people she "destroyed" as Phoenix were simply sent to the Astral Plane. There have already been stories involving travel between the "real" world and the Astral Plane, and bringing people back from the Astral Plane who were imprisoned there.

Hell, just writing that, I would infinitely prefer Singer ignoring the end credits scene from X-Men: The Last Stand and using the Astral Plane to explain why Xavier is back, than the "braindead twin brother" angle.

And writing all of this, an X-Men 5 that involves the Astral Plane doesn't sound all that bad actually.

Again, as long as it's well done.

I also wouldn't mind Genosha, but we're already getting our Sentinels storyline. I saw the Savage Land mentioned, and while a small part of me wouldn't mind seeing that, a larger part of me thinks it would be absurdly cheesy to have an X-Men: Jurassic Park movie. I kinda feel like intergalactic star battles, and dinosaurs, are the line when it comes to X-Men movies. I hope we don't ever see the Savage Land, Shi'Ar, Starjammers, or anything of the sort on film. Keep that with the comics, cartoons, and video games.

Last edited by Nell2ThaIzzay; 08-11-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #737
newwaveboy87
automatic systematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
Shadow King! YES! Danger - YES!
Omega Red belongs in the next solo Wolverine film.

I totally forgot about the rest of those. Good call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
But I do believe that Mr. Sinister and Friends of Humanity belong in the First Class time period
Bingo. I think throwing the HFC in XFC was a bit of a lost opportunity. I spent a lot of that movie thinking about how it would've made more sense and been much better if the main villain role had been occupied by Sinister.

And the FOH would make for a great minor sub-plot. I'm honestly surprised given how hard Singer rode the "X-Men as gay metaphor" agenda in his films that they NEVER popped up. Even in a quick cameo.
Quote:
On the other hand, I think that Mr. Sinister would be a fitting villain for a First Class movie that introduces Cyclops and Jean Grey (and I think any First Class 3 -should- introduce these characters and have a post X-Men Origins: Wolverine / pre X-Men team), and I also think that Friends of Humanity would be a good villain to lead into X-Men, showcasing humanities developing hatred of mutantkind, setting the stage for the events of X-Men.
It doesn't matter if the timelines lineup in these films. XOW and XTLS don't synch up. XFC doesn't sink up with the trilogy at all. We're told that Cyclops, Jean and Storm are some of Xaiver's first students in X-Men. Yet in XFC, Storm is a quick cameo and everyone else is nowhere to be found. But they included the other Angel and Darwin.

Back on topic, I am actually pretty glad that the Sentinels are finally being brought into the franchise. Even if I did wish that they had given them a revamped look. Namely made them smaller.

So far the pictures make them look like the toys they're going to sell based on the movie. But I'm holding off on final judgment until some footage of them in action comes along.

Tumblr

Old 08-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #738
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Omega Red and the other Russian mutants (Soviet Super Soldiers / Winter Guard) would be great.

A revived Hellfire Club with Selene and some of the other members.

The stories don't always have to thematic, either. In other words it doesn't always have to be focused on the mutation/discrimination angle. Shi'ar has nothing to do with that, and neither did Dark Phoenix.

They should get on and do Savage Land and the mutates before Marvel Studios does Inhumans lol. Two stories about hidden worlds of artificially-evolved people might be a bit much (even though I'd love to see an Inhumans movie).

Old 08-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #739
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I think throwing the HFC in XFC was a bit of a lost opportunity. I spent a lot of that movie thinking about how it would've made more sense and been much better if the main villain role had been occupied by Sinister.
The Hellfire Club could easily be revived if necessary. Plus, there's plenty of other members. And they'd be angry at Magneto and the X-Men for what happened with Shaw. He could be their leader at the time, or just the leader of one faction of the organisation. Expanding the Hellfire Club in this way would be easy since it was left vague enough in First Class to do so.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #740
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I think X-Men: Children of the Atom would be a good title for a FC3 with Mr. Sinister and young Cyclops and Jean. They could bring back Emma Frost too. I thought it would be cool to have her try to recruit young Jean before Xavier similar to her first appearance in the comic with Kitty. Emma could be working for Sinister and have a redemption arc.

Last edited by Great Mind(s); 08-11-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #741
newwaveboy87
automatic systematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
That's the wrong approach, I think. For a movie, the story concept should come first and then find a villain who fits it.

If they decided to do a story that showcases Storm's background, then Shadow King or Apocalypse could factor into it. The idea of the first superpowered mutant is an interesting one, and if they could develop a compelling idea around that, it would work.

Arcade would work best as someone hired to capture the X-Men for some other bigger villain.

Shi'ar and Starjammers could eventually be used. I liked the story involving Moses Magnum. Sinister is great, of course, and ties in nicely to Jean and Cyclops. If they used the Savage Land, it could involve Garrok.

Singer does tend to come up with smart ideas so he would a way to use these other villains. Like I said, a compelling story idea is the first stop.
I agree. But we're running out of cool villains to use in the stories.

Sauron, Garrok, Arcade, Moses Magnum, Mojo - none of them are interesting.

Superhero films are like Bond movies - they're only as good as their bad guy. A good bad guy makes or breaks a film adaptation. That's why the first film out tends to use one of their biggest and best rogues. Joker in Batman 89, Magneto & the Brotherhood in X-Men, Green Goblin in Spider-Man -- all their most dynamic and well-known villains.

Of course, having a great villain doesn't mean it will turn out well. Dark Phoenix in XTLS anyone? A good story idea needs to come first, yes, of course. But Singer proved that he could take Lex Luthor and a story that sounded decent in the broad strokes and return something terrible.

The other problem is bloat. The X-Men franchise is getting a little too bloated. The next one should probably scale back and stop stuffing in characters just for the sake of it.

We're never going to get a movie detailing Storm's background. Singer clearly never understood or cared about her or Cyclops much...

Tumblr

Old 08-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #742
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Omega Red belo

And the FOH would make for a great minor sub-plot. I'm honestly surprised given how hard Singer rode the "X-Men as gay metaphor" agenda in his films that they NEVER popped up. Even in a quick cameo.

It doesn't matter if the timelines lineup in these films. XOW and XTLS don't synch up. XFC doesn't sink up with the trilogy at all. We're told that Cyclops, Jean and Storm are some of Xaiver's first students in X-Men. Yet in XFC, Storm is a quick cameo and everyone else is nowhere to be found. But they included the other Angel and Darwin
Them cameos will most likely be retconned, it was probably done because Vaugh, but singer will probably do it different

Old 08-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #743
newwaveboy87
automatic systematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
I think X-Men: Children of the Atom would be a good title for a FC3 with Mr. Sinister and young Cyclops and Jean.
It's a great title for one of their movies. Why hasn't this been used!?
Or The Uncanny X-Men.
Quote:
The Hellfire Club could easily be revived if necessary. Plus, there's plenty of other members. And they'd be angry at Magneto and the X-Men for what happened with Shaw. He could be their leader at the time, or just the leader of one faction of the organisation. Expanding the Hellfire Club in this way would be easy since it was left vague enough in First Class to do so.
True, they were pretty thinly sketched in that film. And that could be an interesting idea for a sequel.
Quote:
They should get on and do Savage Land and the mutates before Marvel Studios does Inhumans lol. Two stories about hidden worlds of artificially-evolved people might be a bit much (even though I'd love to see an Inhumans movie).
Mutates? Yes. Savage Land? **** no.
Do something with the Morlocks and their massacre! Let's just pretend that vaguely connected version in XTLS just didn't happen.

Tumblr

Old 08-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #744
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Yeah children of the atom would make a great FC title

Old 08-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #745
newwaveboy87
automatic systematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
Them cameos will most likely be retconned, it was probably done because Vaugh, but singer will probably do it different
Like how Vaughn just ignored Emma Frost appearing in XO:W? I'm down with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
They could bring back Emma Frost too. I thought it would be cool to have her try to recruit young Jean before Xavier similar to her first appearance in the comic with Kitty. Emma could be working for Sinister and have a redemption arc.
As long as they recast January Jones

Her Hellions storyline, or even New Mutants/Gen-X would be a welcome addition.

Tumblr

Old 08-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #746
xrs13
Cold as ice

I kinda disagree, I mean some of the worst villains can be written into being the best. Take shaw for example. In the comics I find him kinda simple. Yeah as part of the Hellfire club he was awesome but on his own meh. In FC I really liked how they linked him to magneto. I guess what I am getting at is the Idea that you can take a not so great villain and write him into being a better one. My thoughts on who should be next are definitely sinister and apoc and then maybe even selene.

Also... I want the school to blow up. Just because in every cartoon it does and I feel I need the D: factor in the cinema haha

Old 08-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #747
newwaveboy87
automatic systematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrs13 View Post
I kinda disagree, I mean some of the worst villains can be written into being the best. Take shaw for example. In the comics I find him kinda simple. Yeah as part of the Hellfire club he was awesome but on his own meh. In FC I really liked how they linked him to magneto. I guess what I am getting at is the Idea that you can take a not so great villain and write him into being a better one. My thoughts on who should be next are definitely sinister and apoc and then maybe even selene.

Also... I want the school to blow up. Just because in every cartoon it does and I feel I need the D: factor in the cinema haha
But Shaw was responsible for bringing the crazy out of Jean Grey and unleashing the Dark Phoenix on us in the comics! Doing Dark Phoenix without the HFC was a mistake.

Then again, most of XTLS was a mistake.

So.... Sentinels, yeah?

Tumblr

Old 08-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #748
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Omega Red belongs in the next solo Wolverine film.

I totally forgot about the rest of those. Good call.

Bingo. I think throwing the HFC in XFC was a bit of a lost opportunity. I spent a lot of that movie thinking about how it would've made more sense and been much better if the main villain role had been occupied by Sinister.

It doesn't matter if the timelines lineup in these films. XOW and XTLS don't synch up. XFC doesn't sink up with the trilogy at all. We're told that Cyclops, Jean and Storm are some of Xaiver's first students in X-Men. Yet in XFC, Storm is a quick cameo and everyone else is nowhere to be found. But they included the other Angel and Darwin.

Back on topic, I am actually pretty glad that the Sentinels are finally being brought into the franchise. Even if I did wish that they had given them a revamped look. Namely made them smaller.

So far the pictures make them look like the toys they're going to sell based on the movie. But I'm holding off on final judgment until some footage of them in action comes along.
I don't think the Hellfire Club was a wasted opportunity at all. I think the Hellfire Club was a great choice to have as a villain for an X-Men film, and I believe that X-Men: First Class was great timing to do that.

As for your comments on the timeline:

I don't see how X-Men Origins: Wolverine and X-Men: The Last Stand don't sync up.

They don't particularly reference each other, because on the timeline they are so far apart from one another, but I don't see how they don't sync up.

X-Men: First Class absolutely does sync up with the rest of the trilogy. Xavier said that those people were -some- of his first students, not that they were his first students. Introducing them as his next line of X-Men would absolutely sync up. Especially when Xavier would have tons of students AFTER Cyclops, Jean, and Storm all came to the school, such as Iceman, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, Siryn, Jubilee, Artie, Jones, Colossus, just to name a few. We also have Beast as a member of the first class, who was established in X-Men: The Last Stand to have been a former team member who left and is now coming back. That syncs up. Also, keep in mind, the school doesn't actually open until the end of X-Men: First Class, and at that point, Xavier's only remaining students are Havok, Banshee, and Beast. The school isn't even officially open at that point, and considering that X-Men: Days Of Future Past shows Xavier as an emotional wreck 10 years after the fact, it could be very possible that the school never even opened at THAT point. So... it could be assumed that the events of X-Men: Days Of Future Past get Xavier back on track to open the school, and with Banshee known to be gone (as he's not even in the film), and Havok seemingly leaving during the events of the film, and Beast leaving at some point as established by X-Men: The Last Stand, Xavier would need to recruit a new X-Men team, and his "first students" in Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, etc. The opening shots of the movie, and Magneto's entire story arc tie into Magneto's sub plot in the first X-Men. Outside of a dialogue inconsistency with Xavier saying he was 17 when he and Magneto met, the story arc of X-Men: First Class matches up perfectly with Xavier's description of their history.

The timeline isn't crisp and tight, for certain, but at the same time, I think it's fanboys who study these films WAY too much who are the ones looking at making sure everything lines up perfectly with specific dates and ages. The timeline problems in the X-Men series are no worse than the timeline problems and continuity contradictions of the Star Wars movies.

As far as the Sentinels go, I think they look great and I couldn't have expected them to look better than they do. I think this is an unfortunate case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't". I think making Sentinels smaller would be a horrible choice. And I'm sure there are many others that think the same way. But make them big and purple - I.E. comic book accurate - and now the criticism of looking like toys comes in. So basically, Singer stays comic book accurate, he's accused of being too comic booky and making something that looks like a toy. He strays from comic book accurate, and he'd be accused of needlessly changing Sentinels and making them less menacing.

I applaud Singer for this one.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #749
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Oh - a First Class or future X-men sequel with Emma heading her own school of Hellions would be awesome!

Old 08-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #750
xrs13
Cold as ice

Quote:
But Shaw was responsible for bringing the crazy out of Jean Grey and unleashing the Dark Phoenix on us in the comics! Doing Dark Phoenix without the HFC was a mistake.

Then again, most of XTLS was a mistake.

So.... Sentinels, yeah?
Oh god yeah the HFC should have been the jean grey route to all evil but TLS was before FC so they at least gave us the HFC in one film.

As for sentinels, I hope we see a lot, and I hope they are menacing haha

Closed Thread