The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 01-17-2014, 02:13 AM   #1
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Question Most difficult superhero(es) to make a movie of

So was just thinking of what superhero solo character or team would be the hardest to adapt for the big screen.

For me it's Deadpool.

He uses lots of pop culture references (in some cases they'd need permission) and constantly jokes.

Humour is hard enough, but making it work for one whose constantly spouting off verbal jokes would be damn near impossible. It would have to have at least a 70/30 ratio for good jokes.

Then there's his usage of ultraviolence and adult themes

And finally he wear the mask all the time, that'd never happen on-screen and under the mask he's horrifically disfigured, again not something that's be likely shown as face-value of an actor is a priority for studios.

What character or team do you think would be the most hard to adapt?

Professor Xavier: I feel a great swell of pity for the poor fool who comes to that school... looking for trouble.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:39 AM   #2
def28
Side-Kick

Default Re: Most difficult superhero(es) to make a movie of

The Deadpool script nails it.

Seen bout just everything nowadays. So far Ghost Rider I think is the hardest to adapt.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:48 AM   #3
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Dude ! First off, I must congratulate you on some superb threads.
Sometimes I fear we'll run out of stuff to talk about, or just go round
and round in circles re-inventing old arguments and discussion.

Thanks for keeping it fresh !

Second, I thought Ryan Reynolds was a pretty good Deadpool (well in the first part of the Wolverine movie, he was a lot more fun than anything else in that film).

Tell you who has been shafted by the films, Cyclops. He's one of the most important and Iconic Xmen, and the most interesting - I haven't been an X-fan since the 80's really ( IMO Byrne's Xmen was the absolute pinnacle of X-greatness). Anyway, recently read the graphic novel with Cyke in prison, one of the best comics I've read in ages. It makes Wolverine look like a bigger douche bag (than usual, and I have to support Wolvie, as I'm from Canada). Marsden did the best he could with the role, but really Cyclops needs to be one of the main characters as opposed to playing back-seat to Wolverine. But that's IMO.

Okay, hardest superhero to make a movie of......

to be honest, I reckon it's hard to make a good superhero film, period.
They seem to be very hit and miss, for every really amazing film, there's a really average, forgettable one, and one that really sucks.

Starting with famous DC characters....

Based on the last film, a good Green Lantern looks really hard to bring to life.. Those light constructs come off as very cartoonish on the big screen, almost silly. Since GL is going to rely on CGI it's going to have to be a lot less goofy than that.

The Flash would not be easy. Sure the technology exists to make the effects work, but would it translate well to the big screen ?

I'm very keen to see how Gal Gadot comes off as WW, because history's shown that female super-heroes are even harder to do well on-screen.

Having said all that, Justice League is going to be a tall order indeed.

On to Marvel......

Have to say Marvel has done a great job with some very unlikely characters
(e.g. Nightcrawler, the best thing in X2, what a shame they can't get Alan Cumming back).

Why they don't do a Hulk, like the Peter David version, I don't know, that might work ?

Doctor Strange might be a tough ask, although given the general public's acceptance of Harry Potter and magical stuff, and the technology to make all of the effects, it certainly could be done. Really, I think Dr. Strange would need to be cast just right, in order to succeed.

Not being American, I wouldn't mind seeing some national superheroes from other English speaking nations appear on film, specifically Captain Britain and Guardian (Canada). To be honest, what makes these films
so difficult, is financial viability. Even if everyone in Canada went to see a movie that featured Guardian (an Alpha flight film) it probably wouldn't pay for what it would cost to make it. Captain Britain ? Probably the same issue.

Still these are interesting characters with lots of history. But probably too hard an ask.

Interestingly, Superhero team films seem at least as successful as solo outings. Possibly because only a few superheroes are really capable of sustaining a solo film (the big guys, like Superman, Batman, Spider-Man although Marvel's been hugely successful with Thor and Iron Man)

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:16 AM   #4
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
So was just thinking of what superhero solo character or team would be the hardest to adapt for the big screen.

For me it's Deadpool.

He uses lots of pop culture references (in some cases they'd need permission) and constantly jokes.

Humour is hard enough, but making it work for one whose constantly spouting off verbal jokes would be damn near impossible. It would have to have at least a 70/30 ratio for good jokes.

Then there's his usage of ultraviolence and adult themes

And finally he wear the mask all the time, that'd never happen on-screen and under the mask he's horrifically disfigured, again not something that's be likely shown as face-value of an actor is a priority for studios.

What character or team do you think would be the most hard to adapt?
Deadpool isn't hard to do IMO. All you need is this guy directing it and it would be a hit:

Sadly, Tarantino isn't one for Comic Book Movies.

To answer your question: Wonder Woman, Enough Said.

WILL HAPPILY DEBUNK ANY HATER AND SEND THEM PACKING! :P
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:13 AM   #5
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Most of the things I said about deadpool could be done but wouldn't be done.

A studio would see no benefit in a character horribly disfigured and wearing a mask all the time. They wouldn't get the FaceTime of the actor.

And it would have to be R to do the ultravilence..

Even if they cut out the latter I don't see them doing the former, what with no superhero keeping their mask on for long.

Professor Xavier: I feel a great swell of pity for the poor fool who comes to that school... looking for trouble.

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 01-18-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman.

Such a huge VFX budget is required to do these characters justice.

FeedOnATreeFrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Superman. No, really. He's the oldest and most iconic, other than Batman. Unfortunately, this means he's major plot elements tend to be the most archaic, with all kinds of dubious logic to them. . . but are also *well known*, and thus can't really be excluded. Number one example: the secret ID protected by nothing.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 PM   #8
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Aquaman. There's a reason the underwater level always sucks.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:44 AM   #9
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Rayman Origins underwater levels and GTA V underwater rock!!!!!

Though Namor and Aquaman would be hard, they'd have to live and talk underwater without cities or bubbles. Outside of Animation I don't think that's ever been done

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 01-18-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I think an Aquaman movie ( or Namor movie for that matter ) has to wait for James Cameron to finish inventing the tools to do Avatar 2: The Most Unnecessary Sequel Ever, Now Underwater.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #11
Spider-Aziz
Like a Charm

That's a hard question, I don't know who could be the hardest to make a movie around
Guardians of the Galaxy probably took a lot of effort, they are the hardest I can think of now
Second to them are Aquaman, and Sub-Mariner

Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:18 AM   #12
Airwings
Waves of air

Aquaman
Hawkman
The Phantom
Mandrake
Popeye

These are the hardest to pull off in live action and make them look cool.

Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:30 AM   #13
jonathancrane
Side-Kick

Ghost Rider
Green Lantern
Howard the Duck
Deadpool

jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #14
A Necessary Evil
Peter Parker: Spider-Man

Hulk. He needs to be a tragic hero, with seriousness and depth (Like Ang). Unfortunately, the GA thinks he's all "HULK AM STRONGEST ONE THERE IS! HULK SMASH!" When there is waywayway more to him than that.

Missing you, Heath
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #15
shiva666
art designer

Under the sea, because to begin with you need to rethink the whole concept. bubble cities make no sense, it's like digging a pool to build a house in it then you need scuba gear to go in...

One concept no costume designer seems to grasp: HYDROdynamics.

This is not even about making a movie work it is about making a more believable underwater society, comics, video-games, movies, cartoons, whatever.

shiva666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #16
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Yeah... I don't think anyone really wants that. A world of extreme pressure darkness? I can think about how to make such a thing work, but it's a totally different world, a different universe, than what we're used to. You'd have to be a science buff AND a science fiction buff to even think about it, on top of being able to tell a good human story. And then to figure out the effects as something totally different.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:13 AM   #17
shiva666
art designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Yeah... I don't think anyone really wants that. A world of extreme pressure darkness? I can think about how to make such a thing work, but it's a totally different world, a different universe, than what we're used to. You'd have to be a science buff AND a science fiction buff to even think about it, on top of being able to tell a good human story. And then to figure out the effects as something totally different.
I want that, You just need a couple of deep exploration, divers and swimmers as consultants. I rather have different & weird than same old sauce. The oceans give a lot more possibilities than deep and dark, just like space as become a lot more then empty and cold.

shiva666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #18
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I'm sure the oceans give a lot more possibilities, but unless you're an expert, you have zero idea what those are. For space, we all know that space isn't just empty and cold, it's got other planets which have pretty much limitless possibilities. For underwater, if I come up with a setting that involves these dome cities, and my expert shoots that down... you've taken away my setting, so now I have no story. So just having experts isn't enough, unless those experts are creative enough to offer me solutions to what an intelligent society looks like (emphasis on looks like) at the bottom of the ocean and the setting they're giving me actually works with my intended direction. That means they're not talking about what's there, they're talking about what could be there. It takes a creative expert to create the type of story you're talking about. Either that or a very good relationship between creator and expert, where the creator feels comfortable rattling off idea after idea that can't work until he happens upon one that isn't completely ridiculous, and does this for every aspect of the setting. This is basically what Cameron did with Avatar, trial and error and he found creative experts.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #19
mace1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Aquaman
Hawkman
The Phantom
Mandrake
Popeye

There is a Popeye and Phantom movie.

mace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #20
-Arya-
Superman/Batman - 2016

Martian Manhunter.

-Arya- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #21
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

I think people hated them. Though I really enjoy The Phantom. It gives off a Raider/Rocketeer vibe that I like

Old 03-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #22
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing

The Flaming Carrot

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #23
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

Guardians of the Galaxy...

FILMRAPS.BLOGSPOT.COM
M-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #24
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

I don't think GotG is difficult. A Space Racoon with a machine gun? That sells itself.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 03-03-2014 at 07:24 PM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:19 AM   #25
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Aquaman
Hawkman
The Phantom
Mandrake
Popeye

I think Aquaman's suit is pretty cool, it won't be a problem.

Hawkman...see pictures of the Birdman suit, from the Michael Keaton movie with the same name. That suit is awesome.

The Phantom. I agree, even though I'm a fan of the character. I don't think the one from 1996 looks stupid, but compared to all the other movie suits, it looks "weird".

Mandrake would work best in a movie set during the 30's or 40's.

Popeye should be animated. Haven't watched the live action version yet.

Goshdarn Batman is offline   Reply With Quote