The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #451
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
I've always liked how paternal and weathered Ross' Superman design looks. What's most jarring for me though is that while the face and body are uber realistic, the costume is very simple, maintaining fidelity to the classic to a fault, leaving him looking like an old man wearing Superman pajamas. It would do Ross well to spice up the costume with a little bit more detail, personal tweaks, in order to offset the visual gap.
But that's what's so great about his style imo. The way the suits look home-made and retro'esque. That's makes it look strangely real, yet not very plausible. Hard to explain, but I think it makes that world very mature and golden age-like.

I'd love to see Tim Burton handle a mature and modern/contemporary CBM with that old-school style.

(Terribly sorry for the big size)

Just imagine...

Last edited by Rust; 11-28-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #452
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
I've always liked how paternal and weathered Ross' Superman design looks. What's most jarring for me though is that while the face and body are uber realistic, the costume is very simple, maintaining fidelity to the classic to a fault, leaving him looking like an old man wearing Superman pajamas. It would do Ross well to spice up the costume with a little bit more detail, personal tweaks, in order to offset the visual gap.
There’s something about the more conventional comic book art that somehow defines itself as “normal” or “natural.” When I see Superman in this form, I hardly ever think of real-world comparisons (of a grown man in a leotard, for instance). I just perceive an idealized image of the famous hero.

But for me, Ross’s style breaks that spell - his “realism,” actually and ironically, seems to make the subject less plausible.

It’s for this reason (I maintain) that movies and TV shouldn’t try to scrupulously copy the (impossible) leotard “fabric” of the comics. Translate (as MOS has done) rather than imitate.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #453
UaalaDan
Banned User

That's because his work is still a painting and not a movie. It would look ridiculous on a real movie.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #454
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

In real life!

Old 11-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #455
superman2090
Side-Kick

The wax figure proves the point that leotard looks a little silly in real life. I never thought I would say that.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #456
Krumm
Beer Snob

Wow, looks like there were some edits here. A guy can't step away for a few hours.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #457
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermanJLA!~ View Post
In real life!
I think it looks great. "Iconic" is really the best word.

I know Snyder gets the iconography of Superman, but I really hope the execs and producers do, too, rather than solely aiming for "edgy," "modern," and "fresh."

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 11-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #458
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
But that's what's so great about his style imo. The way the suits look home-made and retro'esque. That's makes it look strangely real, yet not very plausible. Hard to explain, but I think it makes that world very mature and golden age-like.

I'd love to see Tim Burton handle a mature and modern/contemporary CBM with that old-school style.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Just imagine...
One thing I found interesting about Justice is that it looked like Braithwaite made the characters look more muscular than Ross when doing the art by himself. So, they didn't always have the smooth spandex look that's expected. I thought Superman's face looked better too.

I still thought it was impossible to see such definition (including veins) until I saw this guy cosplay as Superman...

http://ampcosplay.tumblr.com/tagged/superman

I still think it's interesting Snyder chose to have some veins in the MOS suit instead of just only "drawing" where the muscles are.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 11-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #459
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
In real life!
The sculpture is awesome I just don't like the look of Alex Ross' Superman...looks like an overweight old man. I do like the costume and think it would like fine in live action...but I'm glad we have the costume we got

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 11-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #460
UaalaDan
Banned User

Sorry but these type of material are so cheap and old now...Can't imagine how someone would want something like that in a serious movie.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #461
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

Quote:

Just imagine...
I get what you're saying. For me though, not every hero's costume should look homemade. For example, Ross's Flash. He looks like he's wearing a cheap Halloween costume instead of a specially made, state of the art, friction proof body suit. I get that Ross wants to be 100 percent faithful to the classic suits and I think that's great, but in my mind he doesn't have to paint every single seam, wrinkle, and spandex texture he observes on his models.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #462
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by UaalaDan View Post
Sorry but these type of material are so cheap and old now...Can't imagine how someone would want something like that in a serious movie.
The material is basic, but the style is anything but old. It's timeless.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 11-29-2012, 02:50 AM   #463
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

I guess it's more from an artistic point of view, rather than pracitcal and realistic.

I really like the Ross'esque look of the Bat-suit in Batman Dead End - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j7d3lIAkes

Old 11-29-2012, 06:08 AM   #464
kal-el1990
Side-Kick

If this action figure prototype is anything to go by then
He will be wearing some armour in the movie!

Old 11-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #465
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Right, because we all remember Batman's golden acid-proof suit and jetpack in the 89 movie.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #466
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:

But seriously, Ross is the bomb. At some point I wanna see Burton doing KC with Ross as designer and consultant.
Oh yeah, I'd certainly watch that movie - presumably with Keaton returning as Bats?

Quote:
In real life!
God, that reminds me of some close-up photos of that statue that someone posted on these boards some time ago. Seriously, they were ****ing scary.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #467
xmangambit
I come fom the net...

Default Superman's suit?

So we know he has the suit.

But where does it go when in Clark Mode. How do you think they are going to explain this for the modern age?

The one thing worrying me is this:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...30at005152.png

That was taken from the new 52 series #7

Now, my problem is if they go the route of having it morph out of his skin, it means the suit is inside him, does that mean the suit is making him the man of steel? If someone rips the suit out of him does he just become normal?

I know it's a stretch but where does it go after? Where does the cape go? DOes he always go to the Fortress to pick up the cape in times of need?

In the Comic-con trailer there were shots of a necklace around his throat and a Ring, are these trinkets going to power his suit to him or make it appear?

I really don't like the idea of a transforming, venom-type suit that appears when needed it kinda makes him augmented like Ironman, he is SUPERMAN and shouldn't need the suit.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #468
TheWatcher
Dapper

Default Re: Superman's suit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmangambit View Post

But where does it go when in Clark Mode. How do you think they are going to explain this for the modern age?

Now, my problem is if they go the route of having it morph out of his skin, it means the suit is inside him, does that mean the suit is making him the man of steel? If someone rips the suit out of him does he just become normal?

I know it's a stretch but where does it go after? Where does the cape go? DOes he always go to the Fortress to pick up the cape in times of need?

In the Comic-con trailer there were shots of a necklace around his throat and a Ring, are these trinkets going to power his suit to him or make it appear?

I really don't like the idea of a transforming, venom-type suit that appears when needed it kinda makes him augmented like Ironman, he is SUPERMAN and shouldn't need the suit.
The suit doesn't give him the powers. It's the earths yellow sun.

It's just a nano suit.

-Christian Bale
Old 11-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #469
TheWatcher
Dapper

Keaton is too old.

Someone in his late 30's-early 40's. Jon Hamm?

Of course if it was connected to the upcoming DCMU, then Fassbender.

-Christian Bale
Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #470
xmangambit
I come fom the net...

Ok Nano suit. That does actually sound awesome!

But where does it reside when not in use? In the the necklace? Or ring?

Old 11-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #471
TheWatcher
Dapper

The skin tight Superman shirt under his business suit.

They did this so he would still be able to do the rip.

-Christian Bale
Old 11-30-2012, 12:11 AM   #472
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ok Nano suit. That does actually sound awesome!

But where does it reside when not in use? In the the necklace? Or ring?
How about he wears the damn suit under his clothes like he has since the beginning? Or maybe keeps it stored someplace secure and out of reach in a gym bag or something? (which DOES have precedent in the comics)

"But what about the boots?"
Maybe he wears a dress shoe size bigger or so to compensate. It's not as if he's wearing combat boots. Yeah his feet might look a little big... but then again who says Superman can't have smallish feet? The diesel physique makes his hands and feet look small anyway. Or maybe having the appearance of larger feet would help to emphasize the lanky and awkward Clark Kent disguise. How about... who gives a crap? (#IMAGINATION!)

"But what if his work clothes tear revealing his suit or he wants to wear short sleeves?"
Superman can walk on the sun, spends his free time in the Arctic, died, came back to life, and has fought every kind of weirdo/super-powered-alien-a-hole in the universe. I'm pretty sure the man can handle issues in both body temperature and clothing malfunction.

"Where does he put his cape?"
Folds it up? Stores it someplace secure? Do people really need an answer for everything? Yeah Superman can fly and stop bullets but can't handle finding a place for a cape...

Bottom line... to me, a magical Kryptonian nano suit requires more suspension of belief then any explanation one can conjure to account for how Superman manages life wearing his suit under his suit. It's a superfluous dues ex machina idea that just further removes Superman from being more relatable. It's real simple, just don't depict Superman fumbling around putting his cape on or taking his pants off or whatever. You wouldn't depict Superman taking a dump either. On the other hand...

Last edited by StarvingArtist; 11-30-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:35 AM   #473
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:

I sure hope not, but it would kinda fit with the scaly chainmaily look of the suit. As it was formed by the smaller bits. But I dont think it'll be nearly that "magical" an explanation.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #474
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
Keaton is too old.

Someone in his late 30's-early 40's. Jon Hamm?

Of course if it was connected to the upcoming DCMU, then Fassbender.
Keaton too old? 'Kingdom Come' Batman was in his late 50's/early 60's, easily.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #475
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:

Screams of Extremis.