The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #776
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest
 
Llama_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,250
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Batman started wearing bullet resistant fabrics in 1940.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFE View Post
In Nolan I'm Impressed...but In Batman I Trust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
BATBOARD FACTS: There is no middle ground between the Batman portrayals and costumes of Christian Bale and Adam West. There is no middle ground between beligerent haters and blind Nolan fanboys.
*\S/T*
Llama_Shepherd is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #777
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,401
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi716 View Post
I think Mike22's manip (along with many others) perfectly demonstrates that the classic suit can, if done correctly, look awesome and cool in live action.

Check out some of the BTS features on the Superman Returns DVD/Blu-Ray, when they were designing the costume. There are some mock suits designed that absolutely nailed it. Sadly, they ended up going with something more subdued.
Such a shame. I hated the red color on SR's suit. It almost looked Maroon. Anyway, i really am happy with this MOS suit. It's fresh but it's still familiar and overall faithful to the comics. It's a suit that looks like it came from another planet, which i really like.

ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #778
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday
 
Rust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denmark and out there...
Posts: 4,635
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Dont think I've ever seen the rejected suits for SR. Why's that?

__________________
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new"
Rust is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #779
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO
 
spidermanJLA!~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swingin' around NYC
Posts: 1,188
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Could you guys post some? I have the PLAY/ SCENE SELECTION/ SETUP version of Superman Returns.

__________________
Spider-man, favorite hero.
JLA, one of my favorite teams.
spidermanJLA!~ is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #780
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest
 
Llama_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,250
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Me either. If someone could post some screencaps or find a link on youtube to the feature, I'd appreciate that.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFE View Post
In Nolan I'm Impressed...but In Batman I Trust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
BATBOARD FACTS: There is no middle ground between the Batman portrayals and costumes of Christian Bale and Adam West. There is no middle ground between beligerent haters and blind Nolan fanboys.
*\S/T*
Llama_Shepherd is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #781
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,701
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

pls.

__________________
SUPERMAN RETURNS COMIC STRIPS
The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #782
McLarenMP4
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland.
Posts: 90
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Ok I've ripped the scene from the dvd and uploaded to youtube.
I still don't understand why the went with the smaller S as the last suit with the larger S was just about perfect.
Not sure if it will stay up for long as it's a copyrighted dvd but I put a disclaimer in so hopefully it will be ok.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnQhEk6EZsg

McLarenMP4 is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #783
Super Kal
Side-Kick
 
Super Kal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: a northern state :(
Posts: 47,656
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

the biggest problem that i heard from the clip- "a lot of gray, brown, and beige..." she said he's the red, blue, and yellow in the movie, but Bryan Singer completely destroyed that concept with the cyan color filter, and the overuse of an orange/blue tint to the film...

for the final suit that they used in the film, the blue by default, in natural light, was very light, grayish and desaturated, while the red by default, in natural light, was dark, muddy, and had a brown tone to it. both of these choices in color hindered the color flow of the suit. some of the designs before the tweaks looked great (referring to when Superman is walking through the corridor and the light is directed downward onto his frame)... just so many problems color wise..

this is what i hope MOS changed in their movie.

__________________
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and His commandments are not burdensome.
Super Kal is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #784
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,976
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLarenMP4 View Post
Ok I've ripped the scene from the dvd and uploaded to youtube.
I still don't understand why the went with the smaller S as the last suit with the larger S was just about perfect.
Not sure if it will stay up for long as it's a copyrighted dvd but I put a disclaimer in so hopefully it will be ok.
Thanks so much. I love how when the costume designer is talking about the impossibility of pleasing everyone, the first thing she mentions is the size of the S. She pleased almost no one with that choice.

DKDetective is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 01:31 AM   #785
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,701
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

ya. The red color looks right (blue too bright though) and the \S/ shield looks bigger during the production. On the other hand, the MOS blue is too dark. Though the suit won’t break the movie… so does the red briefs.

__________________
SUPERMAN RETURNS COMIC STRIPS
The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #786
storyteller
Side-Kick
 
storyteller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,638
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

When Brandon is lifting his arms at the end I think you can see why the went with an S with a huge bulge in the middle. You see much more of the symbol when he's coming at you. In the comics the artists can cheat. Real life harder to do. Again still images and manips work for that one moment. But do those changes carry over when Superman goes in the sunlight or goes into shadow. How does it look when you get up close vs far away.

I think the SR costume probably knew the size of the S wasn't the most desirable thing. But she ain't the director. Singer had final decision.

And she was surely right, can't please everyone. When someone says that the blue is too dark. Well what hue of blue is Supermans suit? Some artists like to use that baby blue while others use a much darker blue. Hell some artists take it near black. From there those artists who use the baby blue may use a nice gradation to a darker blue or black. And you know what, your not going to get that in real life. Artists can cheat so much and that makes adaptation difficult.

The Classic suit worked in the 70's/80's. Now it's too high red/blue and cheap looking. It looks like a joke, Reeve looks like a cosplayer right now.Though in the movie you might notice how a lot of Superman's scenes in the first film take place at night or in a room with controlled lighting.

__________________
------------------------------------------

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #787
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,701
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

No, he doesn’t. however I do think the MOS suit looks like a grayish blue diver’s suit with an \S/ and red cape.

__________________
SUPERMAN RETURNS COMIC STRIPS
The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 02:18 AM   #788
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin
 
Bruce_Begins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,440
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

For SR, the costume designers made a mistake by taking body molds of Routh when he was not finished putting on muscle, he was still training.

The problem was that Singer should have waited for some time before taking the body mold and making his muscle suit, later on when Routh did train he got bigger and the SR suit kept tearing up. And he was told to stop that for a while.

The scene with Lex Luthor on the new krypton Island was the first scene that was shot i the movie (correct me if I am wrong) and you can see that he looks a bit bigger there than in other scenes in the movie.

The muscle suit was not right, and the rubber like glued on "S" shield was made smaller as a bigger shield hindered Routh's movements especially when he was required to lift his hands up.

The obvious solution was to have a "S" shield printed on the Suit so that it could have been larger.

A suit made of materials like Captain America would be something like -

Here's a rough manip I did -



Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 01-11-2013 at 02:26 AM.
Bruce_Begins is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 02:23 AM   #789
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin
 
Bruce_Begins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,440
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Louise Mingenbach could have done a better job, her design did not favor Routh's body type, he had a long torso which was accentuated by the costume design.

Lowering the neck line and increasing the shield size was needed, a different cape attachment would have resulted in a better color distribution, the briefs should have been a tad higher on the waist.

And the suit colors were wrong too, instead of brown Red, a darker shade of red would have looked good, the suit had "royal blue color" which was not right either, it suppressed the diamond shaped "texture" which would have added some shades to highlight muscle tone.

The Cape made up of heavier material prevented the cape from waving in the wind, and the muscle suit was not good either. *sigh*

Bruce_Begins is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 02:30 AM   #790
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick
 
StarvingArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,599
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Louise Mingenbach could have done a better job, her design did not favor Routh's body type, he had a long torso which was accentuated by the costume design.

Lowering the neck line and increasing the shield size was needed, a different cape attachment would have resulted in a better color distribution, the briefs should have been a tad higher on the waist.

And the suit colors were wrong too, instead of brown Red, a darker shade of red would have looked good, the suit had "royal blue color" which was not right either, it suppressed the diamond shaped "texture" which would have added some shades to highlight muscle tone.

The Cape made up of heavier material prevented the cape from waving in the wind, and the muscle suit was not good either. *sigh*
Just goes to show that it's the proportion of elements that make a good Superman suit, not just the elements themselves.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Batman is Batman because of his bat motif's. Take them away and he's just Manman.
StarvingArtist is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 02:38 AM   #791
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin
 
Bruce_Begins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,440
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
Just goes to show that it's the proportion of elements that make a good Superman suit, not just the elements themselves.
Yup.

And, the muscle suit, suit materials, colors, and the design are important elements too.

Bruce_Begins is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 02:50 AM   #792
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick
 
StarvingArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,599
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Yup.

And, the muscle suit, suit materials, colors, and the design are important elements too.
Of course, agreed. Though I think all of those elements, especially the design, are more the concept designer's responsibility, not necessarily the costume designer. The costumer designer takes the concept the director chooses and executes it. I don't think they're responsible for things like hair and makeup, which are also important. The concept designer is in charge of crafting the entire look and feel of the character. I think Singer just went with an underwhelming design.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Batman is Batman because of his bat motif's. Take them away and he's just Manman.

Last edited by StarvingArtist; 01-11-2013 at 03:01 AM.
StarvingArtist is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 02:55 AM   #793
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,701
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
For SR, the costume designers made a mistake by taking body molds of Routh when he was not finished putting on muscle, he was still training.

The problem was that Singer should have waited for some time before taking the body mold and making his muscle suit, later on when Routh did train he got bigger and the SR suit kept tearing up. And he was told to stop that for a while.

The scene with Lex Luthor on the new krypton Island was the first scene that was shot i the movie (correct me if I am wrong) and you can see that he looks a bit bigger there than in other scenes in the movie.

The muscle suit was not right, and the rubber like glued on "S" shield was made smaller as a bigger shield hindered Routh's movements especially when he was required to lift his hands up.

The obvious solution was to have a "S" shield printed on the Suit so that it could have been larger.

A suit made of materials like Captain America would be something like -

Here's a rough manip I did -
No. that scene was among the last scenes to be shot if not mistaken. Then, they added another millions-dollar scene later because it wasnít action-packed.

__________________
SUPERMAN RETURNS COMIC STRIPS
The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #794
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,701
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Louise Mingenbach could have done a better job, her design did not favor Routh's body type, he had a long torso which was accentuated by the costume design.

Lowering the neck line and increasing the shield size was needed, a different cape attachment would have resulted in a better color distribution, the briefs should have been a tad higher on the waist.

And the suit colors were wrong too, instead of brown Red, a darker shade of red would have looked good, the suit had "royal blue color" which was not right either, it suppressed the diamond shaped "texture" which would have added some shades to highlight muscle tone.

The Cape made up of heavier material prevented the cape from waving in the wind, and the muscle suit was not good either. *sigh*
We all see the problems and know exactly how to fix them. Funny, they just donít / didnít. and thatís matter all. Anyway, the SR suit doesnít really look bad on screen.

__________________
SUPERMAN RETURNS COMIC STRIPS
The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 AM   #795
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick
 
StarvingArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,599
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
We all see the problems and know exactly how to fix them. Funny, they just donít / didnít. and thatís matter all. Anyway, the SR suit doesnít really look bad on screen.
You're right, it looks terrible

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Batman is Batman because of his bat motif's. Take them away and he's just Manman.
StarvingArtist is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 06:35 AM   #796
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO
 
spidermanJLA!~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swingin' around NYC
Posts: 1,188
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

I found this in an old thread. I like it, personally.

__________________
Spider-man, favorite hero.
JLA, one of my favorite teams.
spidermanJLA!~ is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #797
Super Kal
Side-Kick
 
Super Kal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: a northern state :(
Posts: 47,656
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

even though i like the new magazine pic, i like this one better:


Uploaded with ImageShack.us

__________________
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and His commandments are not burdensome.
Super Kal is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #798
Krumm
Beer Snob
 
Krumm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,745
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Did you boost the saturation overall or just on the suit?

Krumm is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #799
Super Kal
Side-Kick
 
Super Kal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: a northern state :(
Posts: 47,656
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Did you boost the saturation overall or just on the suit?
it was more selective color, a color filter, and desaturating the colors a little to look a little more realistic with the lighting dynamic around it

__________________
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and His commandments are not burdensome.
Super Kal is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #800
Krumm
Beer Snob
 
Krumm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,745
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
it was more selective color, a color filter, and desaturating the colors a little to look a little more realistic with the lighting dynamic around it
Gotcha. I was just wondering if it was an enhancement of the suit's natural colors but it's not.

Nice job

Krumm is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.