The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #926
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
They seemed to continue with the rubber muscle sculpting like the Batman movies, still am curious how they were going to fix the issue with Cage's receding hairline, we can't have a balding Supes now can we?
I heard he refused to wear a hair piece

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 01-31-2013, 12:02 AM   #927
The Guard
Side-Kick

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

He was supposed to have a long-haired wig at some point.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 01-31-2013, 12:04 AM   #928
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

I just... ugh. Good Lord. And I really like Nic Cage! But this would have been awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
Actually I posted it on the 28th....both of these guys are a little slow!
Ha! Apparently so am I but tell no one

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 01-31-2013, 12:08 AM   #929
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
As it is, the suits we typically get these days in comics don't seem so far off from rubber at that, they're just not molded muscles anymore. They avoid spandex or plain cloth, it's always some new space age material.
To be fair there is a fair amount of "muscle molding" in the MOS suit it's evident by the looks unless we actually believe henry cavil's vein definition is able to find their way through that thick rubber.

I'm sure there is padding there, the difference is that Cavill can actually back up his suits look though. Since he obviously got in great shape for the role. Here's hoping he doesn't "shrink" back down for the potential sequel as hemsworth and evans did in the avengers.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:18 AM   #930
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
I just... ugh. Good Lord. And I really like Nic Cage! But this would have been awful.

Ha! Apparently so am I but tell no one
Tell no one what??? ;-)

Old 01-31-2013, 03:26 AM   #931
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulk24 View Post
here's a little gem one of my fx buddies gave me and yes it's real

Look great. Except the head n briefs size. Why without belt loops?

Old 01-31-2013, 03:35 AM   #932
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

It's so hilarious to look at.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:22 AM   #933
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

I can't believe photos of the test fitting actually exist. I'm not sure he's wearing the full costume, because the trunks area doesnt make any sense. Given the crazy creative direction Burton was going for, the suit really doesn't look that bad. Cavil's suit definitely has some subtle sculpted definition.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:23 AM   #934
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
To be fair there is a fair amount of "muscle molding" in the MOS suit it's evident by the looks unless we actually believe henry cavil's vein definition is able to find their way through that thick rubber.

I'm sure there is padding there, the difference is that Cavill can actually back up his suits look though. Since he obviously got in great shape for the role. Here's hoping he doesn't "shrink" back down for the potential sequel as hemsworth and evans did in the avengers.
Yeah but my point is the muscles aren't part of the suit itself but rather padding underneath.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:45 AM   #935
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
Yeah but my point is the muscles aren't part of the suit itself but rather padding underneath.
Pretty sure some of it is part of the suit itself.

Likely a combo of elements: Cavill's physique combined with padding underneath in key areas, then accentuated by sculpted highlights in the ab, arm, and leg areas in the main outer suit. As opposed to Cage's which seems to be full-on sculpted muscles like Keaton's batsuit.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:00 AM   #936
nouan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
I can't believe photos of the test fitting actually exist. I'm not sure he's wearing the full costume, because the trunks area doesnt make any sense. Given the crazy creative direction Burton was going for, the suit really doesn't look that bad.
What people imo dont seem to realize is that Burton's take on Superman would not have been such a huge travesty. Superman would have worn his classic costume in the beginning, in this case with sculpted muscles of course. And then he would have gone thru some phazes and end up with a suit without the red briefs. Perhaps somewhat similar to the Man of steel costume.
Superman Lives would have depicted Superman's feeling of isolation, being an alien (although haven't read Strick's script yet). Which is a little bit what we are also possibly getting in Man of steel.
I think major reason why people think Superman Lives as ridicilous is because of the Kevin Smith script, which was then re-written by Wesley Strickt. And even if there was a fight between superman and polar bears and giant spiders, the bears and spider wouldn't have actually looked like their earth counterparts. They would have looked like some monsters Superman fights in the comics on daily basis. So I don't see what is so funny about that. As a pitch, yes it's ridicilous, but on screen it would have looked impressive I believe.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:06 AM   #937
elgaz
Side-Kick

I don't think suit above looks as horrible as it could have, but it's hard to fully visualise the image with Nichola Cage's long face and receding hairline totally detracting from the overall Superman look. The suit might have worked, but only if they had put a more Superman-ly actor in it. Cage is a huge Superman fan and kudos to him for knowing the character inside out, but he looks nothing like how Superman should be.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:08 AM   #938
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Yeah, I don't think the suit looks particularly bad. I was expecting something far more unfaithful and I'm used to the rubber muscles style.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #939
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Man it still takes some getting used to seeing the new MOS suit in a lot of shots where it looks like there's absolutely nothing to break up the big blue section of his suit; I sincerely pray that if/when we see Henry as Superman again that they do something about that mid region.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 AM   #940
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Maybe if someone could manip a Supermanly type face on it?

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 AM   #941
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Man it still takes some getting used to seeing the new MOS suit in a lot of shots where it looks like there's absolutely nothing to break up the big blue section of his suit;
There's a huge red cape behind the entire thing...

This "The blue needs to be broken up" argument doesn't really hold water anymore. People are just noticing the lack of the briefs they've seen on Superman forever.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 01-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #942
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

C'mon guys. That suit is 100 times better than the Routh costume. It's at least a lot more faithful that the purple test suit and take Nic's head away and it looks like Superman.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #943
Zorex
No T, No Shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
There's a huge red cape behind the entire thing...

This "The blue needs to be broken up" argument doesn't really hold water anymore. People are just noticing the lack of the briefs they've seen on Superman forever.
I agree. I think, for a lot of people, it's the it-doesn't-feel-right-only-because-it's-new mentality.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #944
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorex View Post
I agree. I think, for a lot of people, it's the it-doesn't-feel-right-only-because-it's-new mentality.
Well... it's really a design-thing first and foremost. It's gotta make sense in the end. They came up with a decent and interesting alternative to be sure, but it's not as good a composite solution as the classic, and it really wasnt necessary either.

Was it a legal-thing that the trunks went?

Old 01-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #945
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

This damn argument will never end...the design breaks up the blue. Oh my...grrrr!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:12 PM   #946
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

I was a lot like the naysayers. I'm a trunks apologist and a comic book purist, but when I saw this, I gained an affection for CAVILL's suit.

LOOK damn it!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #947
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
..."The blue needs to be broken up" argument doesn't really hold water anymore. People are just noticing the lack of the briefs they've seen on Superman forever.
I don’t think it ever did. Not many complaints that mens’ business suits lack a splash of red contrast at the pelvis to “break up” the monochrome.

As you say, it’s what people are used to. And if they don’t like the change, fair enough. But a design/fashion principle isn’t being violated.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #948
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATS N' HORNETS View Post
I was a lot like the naysayers. I'm a trunks apologist and a comic book purist, but when I saw this, I gained an affection for CAVILL's suit.

LOOK damn it!

I'm with you BATS N' HORNETS.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:41 PM   #949
Super Kal
Side-Kick

personally, i still prefer a design that includes the trunks...

Old 01-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #950
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
personally, i still prefer a design that includes the trunks...

that is even better. Love it!