The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 03-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
CountOrlok
Side-Kick

Default The Shadow (1994)

I rewatched this the other night and I think this is a badass, underrated movie imo.

The Shadow actually predates both Superman and Batman, and started out in radio dramas (Orson Welles actually narrated some of those). Since then there have been comic books and all other kinds of media.

I think this may be the first 'dark superhero' but I'm not sure.

The 1994 film is pretty cool, especially the opening few scenes. Reminds me of Batman Begins how it was set up.

Anyone else a fan of The Shadow?

CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Default Re: The Shadow (1994)

Batman was based on Shadow and Zorro.

The movie is fairly entertaining, more then other movies based on other old comic book characters like Dick Tracy and The Phantom.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
CountOrlok
Side-Kick

I liked the Dick Tracy movie as well. Classic 1930's pulp stuff.

Forgot to mention that a remake is in the works of The Shadow.

CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

I'm a fan of The Shadow character first. The 1994 movie, while not "perfect", is still a fun heroic film. More fun than "Dick Tracy". Alec Baldwin's interpretation of Lamont Cranston is what I wish Michael Keaton could have given us more as Bruce Wayne in "Batman". The direction of Russell Mulcahy(of "Highlander" fame) is good, but David Koepp's script probably needed more in terms of pushing for a more grim sense of tone. Think the element of danger in Sam Raimi's "Darkman". All in all, if you enjoyed Tim Burton's Batman films, you should definitely give "The Shadow" a chance.

I do hope that a much more "definitive" film version of The Shadow will lurk in the near future!

rogue trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing

Yeah, I definitely like Baldwin's Shadow better than Beatty's Dick Tracy. To me, the movie's only major flaw is just that they go a little overboard with the supernatural and fantastical stuff in it. I love the atmosphere that they created but I wanted it to feel a little more old-time gangster and a little less ancient Chinese epic. Still a fun movie though. Shame it didn't do well because I would have definitely watched the sequel(s).

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
ThePhantasm
BADASS!

Good film, I quite like the atmosphere of it. I wish it had gotten a sequel. I liked that the origin was short and sweet and didn't require a whole film to tell.

Wonder Gal | Cav-El | Batfleck | #TrustSnyder
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing

I've never read the Shadow comics or listened to the old radio show, but the movie was the first incarnation of the character to have super powers, right? I wonder if a new film (or TV series a la Mad Men, which might be the best way to go with this) will feature a Shadow who is just a normal guy.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
3dman27
super-hero wannabe

the shadow has always had hypnotic powers described as "the power to cloud mens minds"

Old 03-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #9
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Mr. Vigilante-10 Years

I have and always will love this film, I can't wait to get the new ShoutFactory blu-ray, I know the plot is a little weak but overall one of my favorite films of the 90's and the example I had always given to prove that Baldwin would've made a GREAT Bruce Wayne and Batman.

I still to this day get chills in the beginning scene on the bridge, the one thing the film got right is it truly had the tone and feel of The Shadow himself down.

- BEN AFFLECK IS BATMAN-#TrustBatfleck -
SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:45 AM   #10
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dman27 View Post
the shadow has always had hypnotic powers described as "the power to cloud mens minds"
Oh, okay. Is it actually a superpower though or is he just really good at hypnosis?

Old 03-09-2014, 01:53 AM   #11
ThePhantasm
BADASS!

Its more like a long-forgotten mystical art that he learns. There's no scientific explanation for how it works. He can cloud men's minds, most frequently used to make himself invisible (except for his Shadow).

Wonder Gal | Cav-El | Batfleck | #TrustSnyder
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:46 AM   #12
Spider-Aziz
Greatest Hulk Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
I have and always will love this film
Ditto
Quote:
the example I had always given to prove that Baldwin would've made a GREAT Bruce Wayne and Batman.
Although I agree to this, I'm glad we got Michael Keaton as Batman instead
Alec Baldwin has Christian Bale's Batman voice done right

Spider-Aziz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #13
BLACKVULCAN
Token Black Superfriend

Man me too! i love this flick and have always felt it didnt get it's due
other than the over the top performances like Tim curry and the dude who played Genghis khan and that whole stupid %^&* with the bomb(those scenes reminded me of the old adam west batman show where he was trying to get rid of the time bomb) this flick was cool!
it also had some dark ass crap going on as Baldwin before he becomes the shadow was the opium drug lord!
I always dug this flick and Baldwin did a great job better than Billy Zane's Phantom!

Old 03-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #14
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing

To be fair, the guy who works at my local Starbucks could have done a better job than Billy Zane as the Phantom.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #15
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Billy Zane was great as The Phantom, in my opinion.

Anyway, I love The Shadow. I think his origin story in the 1994 movie is the most interesting one...the villain becomes the hero. I like stuff like that...

Goshdarn Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #16
Team Andino
The Paragon of Virtue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshdarn Batman View Post
Billy Zane was great as The Phantom, in my opinion.

Anyway, I love The Shadow. I think his origin story in the 1994 movie is the most interesting one...the villain becomes the hero. I like stuff like that...
He got pretty jacked as well which you really can't tell as well with his purple spandex on. None the less I'm sure with a better less campy script (doesn't have to be overly dark either) it might of been pretty good.

Team Andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #17
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

He didn't do enough parkour

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #18
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I enjoyed it but too bad it didn't take off at the box office. At this point you'd have to do a reboot, even though Baldwin has had a career comeback with the 30 Rock show.

Marvel might as well see if they can buy the character since they don't have Batman.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:52 AM   #19
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Andino View Post
None the less I'm sure with a better less campy script (doesn't have to be overly dark either) it might of been pretty good.
Yeah, the Phantom character shouldn't be this dark and gritty "my parents are deeeeaaad"-type, but I hope they make a better movie next time. The Phantom is one of my favorite heroes, and one of the first comics I read as a child.

The cool thing about The Phantom is that they can make movies set in the 1600's AND the far future. The first movie could do it like Sin City, tell two stories in one movie, about the first Phantom and the current one.

I would love to see something like that

Old 03-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #20
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, the Phantom character shouldn't be this dark and gritty "my parents are deeeeaaad"-type, but I hope they make a better movie next time. The Phantom is one of my favorite heroes, and one of the first comics I read as a child.
The 1996 film was done with a, I guess, with too much of an "innocent" tone. I enjoyed it alot, as I view at as "what if a 1940's crimefighter-serial would have been done with a bigger budget?". It can help if you look at it that way.

Quote:
The cool thing about The Phantom is that they can make movies set in the 1600's AND the far future. The first movie could do it like Sin City, tell two stories in one movie, about the first Phantom and the current one.

I would love to see something like that
This!

Old 03-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #21
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue trooper View Post
The 1996 film was done with a, I guess, with too much of an "innocent" tone. I enjoyed it alot, as I view at as "what if a 1940's crimefighter-serial would have been done with a bigger budget?". It can help if you look at it that way.
It's one of my favorite movies, actually I have probably watched it 80 000 times or something (okay, that's a lie. 30 times, perhaps?). One of the things I like about it is that The Phantom is the ultimate goodguy. Love the scene where he's running after the badguys, and a scared lady drops her purse. He stops and picks it up for her...what a gentleman

I wish I saw it in theatres...I honestly don't know why I didn't I loved The Phantom as a little boy.

Quote:
This!

Maybe a parallel story or something. They experience similar things, only in different times. I don't know...

Old 03-13-2014, 02:38 PM   #22
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing

As bad as I thought Zane was as The Phantom, I'll say this for him. Treat Williams was a BAZILLLLLLLLLION times worse as the villain. That might have been the campiest performance of all time.

"UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNBEEEEEELLLLLIIIIIIEEEEEEVVVVAAAAB BBLLLLLE!!!!

Old 03-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #23
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

He was supposed to be inZane

Old 03-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #24
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing

I just wonder what Williams was thinking when he played that part. He's usually a decent enough actor, particularly when he's playing a bad guy. I guess because it was a superhero movie, he felt he had to go as over-the-top cheesy as he could. He was as bad as Jigsaw and Loony Bin Jim in Punisher: Snore Zone. Maybe worse.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #25
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's one of my favorite movies, actually I have probably watched it 80 000 times or something (okay, that's a lie. 30 times, perhaps?). One of the things I like about it is that The Phantom is the ultimate goodguy. Love the scene where he's running after the badguys, and a scared lady drops her purse. He stops and picks it up for her...what a gentlemant:
I recall some reviewer on youtube comparing Zane's performance to that of Clayton Moore's Lone Ranger. I agree.

Quote:
I wish I saw it in theatres...I honestly don't know why I didn't I loved The Phantom as a little boy.
Yeah, I saw it in theatres, and also wished more people had

Quote:

Maybe a parallel story or something. They experience similar things, only in different times. I don't know...
It would definitely be a definitive approach.