The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #401
grout
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 599
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Yeah, Lena was hot as hell in the role, but her demise was everything Ma-Ma deserved, she was a despicable character who did and encouraged others to do despicable things.
Very well put... Mama almost reminds me of an evil version of the girl with the dragon tattoo.

Also I watched this in 3D at home for the 1st time. I saw it 2D in theaters, i actually enjoy this movie in 2D more..

Last I still think Dredd throwing Mamas right hand man over the rail is one of the coolest scences of last year.

grout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #402
James
Built from Lego
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Zealand/Canada
Posts: 4,115
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

I watched it last night in 2D because I'd seen it in 3D in theaters, enjoyed it much more this time around. My opinion hasn't really changed but visually it was much better in 2D, easier for me to focus on what was happening. A really cool action movie and Karl Urban is great as Dredd. I still would have preferred it took place in more than one location, I'm a sure a sequel could handle that, unlikely as a sequel is.

James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #403
Superman
The Man Of Steel (Is #1)
 
Superman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory
Posts: 22,557
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Watched Dredd the other night for the first time on PPV. I liked it alot. It was much better than that old Dredd movie.

__________________
Looking For Live Action Superhero Pics? Come Join My Yahoo Group!!!
Live Action Superhero Photo Album
Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #404
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 24,565
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
I did feel a bit sorry for her both times she was zoned out. Kind've a tragic character. But yeah, she was a *****.
Yeah she had a tragic background, and was somewhat sympathetic in parts, but overall she deserved what she got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grout View Post
Very well put... Mama almost reminds me of an evil version of the girl with the dragon tattoo.
Also I watched this in 3D at home for the 1st time. I saw it 2D in theaters, i actually enjoy this movie in 2D more..

Last I still think Dredd throwing Mamas right hand man over the rail is one of the coolest scences of last year.
Agree with the bolded parts, yeah as I said above she is a tragic character like Lisbeth, but Lisbeth chooses to be better than the people who have caused her harm in the past, were as Ma-Ma becomes exactly like the people she hates.

And yeah Dredd throwing that guy over the rail and then just walking off as if it was nothing is superb.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #405
Cagefighterkip
Mr. Golightly
 
Cagefighterkip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Pacific NW
Posts: 4,669
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Dredd was fantastic, damn shame it didn't earn enough for a sequel... with the Dark Judges </3

__________________
The only people who are confused about the LGBT-world, and hate it, are adults.

Children are not born conservative bigots. They're molded to become them by their elders. Let's leave the world a better place, people.

Love and let love. Live and let live. #NOH8
Cagefighterkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #406
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 19,378
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Maybe it'll do well enough on home video? I dunno, doesn't seem likely but here's hoping. I just watched it and was really surprised at how solid it was. Urban was completely badass and could teach Christian Bale a thing or two about how to do an effective growly voice.

__________________
Our life in this world...
to what shall I compare it?
It is like an echo
resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #407
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol
 
Midnyte_Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 5,195
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

This movie was fantastic. The one bad thing about it was the first trailer spoiled the ending. I saw him throwing Mama out the window and I knew this was the end. I even mentioned it to my friend and he didn't believe me until we finally saw it a few nights ago. There was also a lot of similarity to The Raid: Redemption, these two movies having so many similarities can't be a coincidence.

Midnyte_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #408
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 19,378
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Dredd was in development years before The Raid. Also, 'protagonists assault bad guy's henchman-filled lair' is fairly common as stories go. In Dredd's case, I felt the execution more than compensated for the less than completely original plot.

__________________
Our life in this world...
to what shall I compare it?
It is like an echo
resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #409
PWN3R
SHUSH!
 
PWN3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mr. Cluck's
Posts: 19,981
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

I've been promoting this film to my friends and family like I'm getting paid for it. I hope it has a rich life in its DVD/Blu Ray sales.

I want everyone involved to come back for the sequel.

__________________
^ all typoes are intentional


“What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness." - Don Draper

PWN3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #410
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick
 
THANOSRULES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,408
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Just saw this thing , I am a big Dredd Fan , and I have some thoughts on the movie.

-Let me start by saying I liked the movie..it was a solid action/sci-fi film and competently scripted and acted. I have not seen "The Raid" so I am not tainted by that aspect.

-I also feel the film was a tad "overrated" by some folks. It was good but not great..clearly the film has visible signs of a reduced budget in terms of it's scope.

- I disagree with some that this is a more true vision of the Judge Dredd comic. The film missed a sense of ridiculous-ness and over the top camp that i think is a big part of the comic.. especially the Bisley type stuff. I'm certainly not saying Stallone's film was either..but i think that film perhaps had a stronger sense of the comic's visuals than this film (excluding the horror of Dredd sans helm)

Specifically i did not like the look and feel of Mega city 1 (too plain) and seeing VW Vanagan's driving around, Dredd's cycle was mundane, and the costumes were more realistic and contemporary than what I feel is in the comics. There was a trace of lunacy in Dredd's foes but it was not as overt as most of the books. Little showing from things like mutants and the feel of the world was almost too realistic and contemporary.

..although i would certainly say this new film had a much tighter feel...and was acted much better. Urban's dredd was very well done, although i dont think he really delivered the dredd scowl as natural as what the real dredd should. To me the Dredd scowl is more a part of his natural facial structure than an overt forced expression.

-So in a sense i think the ultimate Dredd film is still out there...to be made. This is a good film but not great.

__________________
RICHARD RIDER MUST RETURN!

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!

Last edited by THANOSRULES; 01-12-2013 at 10:08 PM.
THANOSRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #411
bullets
bang bang
 
bullets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: in the abstract
Posts: 27,524
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

I missed the film in theaters but purchased the blu ray based on all the good reviews. I liked it a lot. Urban was perfect as Dredd and this film deserves a sequel.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #412
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol
 
Midnyte_Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 5,195
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Dredd was in development years before The Raid. Also, 'protagonists assault bad guy's henchman-filled lair' is fairly common as stories go. In Dredd's case, I felt the execution more than compensated for the less than completely original plot.
Its not the premise that is familiar, but the scenes:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:


1) A giant multi story building where the residents are held hostage by a ruthless drug lord.

2) Introduction of the drug lord involves three victims who are killed in a sadistic fashion.

3). Both involve corrupt law enforcement agents.

4). Both had a scene where the protagonist hid in a residential home to escape the criminals.

5) Both crime bosses used an intercom to give orders to the residents and criminals to kill the intruders.

Midnyte_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #413
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 19,378
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Doesn't change my point that Dredd was being written in 2006, announced in 2008 and began filming in November 2010.

The Raid started filming in March '11 and didn't even begin preproduction until a month after Dredd's cameras were rolling. So if one swiped from the other I'd say it was The Raid.

Regardless, it's apples and oranges as one is more of a martial arts film and one is a sci-fi actioner.

__________________
Our life in this world...
to what shall I compare it?
It is like an echo
resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #414
Drz
Real Hero
 
Drz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,905
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
-I also feel the film was a tad "overrated" by some folks. It was good but not great..clearly the film has visible signs of a reduced budget in terms of it's scope.
How is it that a film's scope was limited by it's budget? The movie looks good and they did their story well, how is this critism?

__________________
"I'm not always hooked on a feeling but when i am, i'm high on believing!"
Thoughts & Rambles
Drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #415
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol
 
Midnyte_Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 5,195
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Doesn't change my point that Dredd was being written in 2006, announced in 2008 and began filming in November 2010.

The Raid started filming in March '11 and didn't even begin preproduction until a month after Dredd's cameras were rolling. So if one swiped from the other I'd say it was The Raid.

Regardless, it's apples and oranges as one is more of a martial arts film and one is a sci-fi actioner.
I'm not really making the argument that one copied the other, but showing just how uncanny the scenes in the movie are to each other. There's gotta be some explanation.

Midnyte_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #416
Donut
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 14,728
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Apparently The Raid writers read the leaked Dredd script back in 2008 or so. Which is why its so similar

Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #417
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 19,378
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
How is it that a film's scope was limited by it's budget? The movie looks good and they did their story well, how is this critism?
I would guess he's talking about the presence of modernish cars, clothing and architecture rather than the production going all sci-fi extravaganza. Now whether it was an intentional choice or one made for them by lack of $$$, I don't know. I thought it worked well though and lent an air of authenticity to the film. Because I think a lot of science fiction movies go way overboard when they try to design futuristic apparel and other set dressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
Apparently The Raid writers read the leaked Dredd script back in 2008 or so. Which is why its so similar
Makes sense.

__________________
Our life in this world...
to what shall I compare it?
It is like an echo
resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #418
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 24,565
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Glad to see people enjoyed it, really hope it does well on the home sales, the movie really is an under-rated little gem, and for me it was the best re-boot last year.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #419
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...
 
Wesley Dodds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 6,409
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
Just saw this thing , I am a big Dredd Fan , and I have some thoughts on the movie.

-Let me start by saying I liked the movie..it was a solid action/sci-fi film and competently scripted and acted. I have not seen "The Raid" so I am not tainted by that aspect.

-I also feel the film was a tad "overrated" by some folks. It was good but not great..clearly the film has visible signs of a reduced budget in terms of it's scope.

- I disagree with some that this is a more true vision of the Judge Dredd comic. The film missed a sense of ridiculous-ness and over the top camp that i think is a big part of the comic.. especially the Bisley type stuff. I'm certainly not saying Stallone's film was either..but i think that film perhaps had a stronger sense of the comic's visuals than this film (excluding the horror of Dredd sans helm)

Specifically i did not like the look and feel of Mega city 1 (too plain) and seeing VW Vanagan's driving around, Dredd's cycle was mundane, and the costumes were more realistic and contemporary than what I feel is in the comics. There was a trace of lunacy in Dredd's foes but it was not as overt as most of the books. Little showing from things like mutants and the feel of the world was almost too realistic and contemporary.

..although i would certainly say this new film had a much tighter feel...and was acted much better. Urban's dredd was very well done, although i dont think he really delivered the dredd scowl as natural as what the real dredd should. To me the Dredd scowl is more a part of his natural facial structure than an overt forced expression.

-So in a sense i think the ultimate Dredd film is still out there...to be made. This is a good film but not great.

While the movie didn't have the more overt 'Paul Verhoeven' style of satire some of us expected, it certainly wasn't without it's moments.
Think about it, this is a film that ends with the main character shooting, drugging and throwing an unarmed woman out of a building.
And he's the hero.

As for the film's look, it's actually really faithful to how the stories appeared in the early days of 2000AD. Particularly the Judge outfits, which were spot on.
I think that's pretty appropriate for what was supposed to be the first film.

Glad you liked it, though.

Wesley Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #420
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 24,565
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

^Yep, it was as faithful enough for me, they can go into things like mutants, etc in other movies if we see them.

BTW In an interview on the web-site that shall not be named, the director Pete Travis thinks there will be a sequel, but he confirmed he wont be directing it if there is.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #421
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...
 
Wesley Dodds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 6,409
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
^Yep, it was as faithful enough for me, they can go into things like mutants, etc in other movies if we see them.

BTW In an interview on the web-site that shall not be named, the director Pete Travis thinks there will be a sequel, but he confirmed he wont be directing it if there is.
Well that's a shame. I thought the "John Carpenter does Die Hard" vibe Travis brought to proceedings was great.

Still, fingers crossed for that sequel.

Wesley Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #422
TheForgotten
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 285
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

I just wanna punch a wall right now. Dredd 3D sold out at Redbox, Fred Meyer, AND Costco. And at Costco they had the nerve to put out a few copies of the Stallone version because they literally had no Dredd. Now my Seahawks lost AND I can't find my 2nd favorite film of 2012.

TheForgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #423
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 24,565
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Dodds View Post
Well that's a shame. I thought the "John Carpenter does Die Hard" vibe Travis brought to proceedings was great.

Still, fingers crossed for that sequel.
To be honest I think that was all in the script, I remember an interview saying the script was like a cross between Die Hard, Mad Max and Escape From New York, I maybe mistaken, but that was in from the start as far as I remember.

Still Travis did a very good job, but either way I just would just take a sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForgotten View Post
I just wanna punch a wall right now. Dredd 3D sold out at Redbox, Fred Meyer, AND Costco. And at Costco they had the nerve to put out a few copies of the Stallone version because they literally had no Dredd. Now my Seahawks lost AND I can't find my 2nd favorite film of 2012.
Look on the bright side, this means the movie is selling very well, so more possibility for a sequel.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #424
TheForgotten
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 285
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Look on the bright side, this means the movie is selling very well, so more possibility for a sequel.


Where was this kinda support when the film was in theatres?!

TheForgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #425
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 19,378
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Takes a while for word of mouth to spread sometimes. Sucks though. I personally wouldn't have guessed the budget was as low as it was. It's a damn crime it couldn't make back a measly $45 mil.

__________________
Our life in this world...
to what shall I compare it?
It is like an echo
resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.