The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 01-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #501
Lamper

Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
According to Boxofficemojo the production budget was $50mil, and it's Worldwide gross was nearly $33mil ($13.4 mil in the US and 19.3 mil everywhere else), so they were on minus $17mil after the theatrical run.

Factor in the theatre and distributors cut (which is higher for the foreign markets too) and that gross goes down a lot so they have to make a good bit more than $17mil with DVD's/Blu-Rays etc to get into the black on this one.

My best guess (and I stress this is a pure guess as I have no idea just how much money they keep from everything) is they will need to sell something like a minimum of 2 million units of DVD & Blu-Rays to reach that target.
Its ww take is 36+ million. BoxOffice mojo is slow to update and has been all along with this movie.

There have been different reports on what is the final budget but 45m is the one iv heard the most

Lamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #502
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

I got the $45 million figure from Variety.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:50 AM   #503
nouan
Banned User

I just saw this movie. I liked it. Of course the production desing was very cheap, which almost painfully sad to see. Those Lawgiver motorcycles were really ugly. If only the production desing of the Stallone movie could have been merged to this. I liked the rough uniforms of the judges though.
Performance-wise this was solid piece of cinema. Karl Urban made Judge Dredd really intriguing. Because he is a human, yet behaves almost like Robocop. So it was interesting to see what he does and how does he interract with others. Does he show any signs of humane behaviour and stuff like that? And you could feel his steely cold stare behind that black visor, it was cool!
The plot was fairly simple one, so it's sad that we might not get another, perhaps more complex Judge Dredd story in the future. This was after all a good re-introduction to the world of Mega City One.

nouan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #504
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valaquen View Post
I am absolutely and utterly terrible at math, so if we say that each copy of Dredd sold for, say, $10 each, and sold 650,000 copies, then how much is that? What guesstimate for profit are we looking at? $60-65 mil?
Dredd is selling for $18-20 DVD, and $20-25 BD. Profit margin is a lot higher.

Let's just say that it's $20 per movie X 650,000 and it's already at 13million.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #505
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Cool. I hope we get a sequel now.
Judge Death, please.

Laugh now, laugh later.

gwynplaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #506
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dmg View Post
Dredd is selling for $18-20 DVD, and $20-25 BD. Profit margin is a lot higher.

Let's just say that it's $20 per movie X 650,000 and it's already at 13million.
After overheads, retail mark-ups & tax etc, $10 per unit in their pocket is probably closer the mark (so they may be at around $6.5mil net atm)

Old 01-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #507
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamper View Post
Its ww take is 36+ million. BoxOffice mojo is slow to update and has been all along with this movie.

There have been different reports on what is the final budget but 45m is the one iv heard the most
Ok, best case scenario then is minus $9mil gross. Factor in all the costs and other cuts for other parties involved the net loss would be higher.

So for discussions sake I'd guess the net loss would be maybe around minus $15mil.

With DVD/Blu-Ray sales they maybe getting $10 to $13 per unit net, so we are looking at them pushing 1.5 to 2 million units to get into the black. It's had a great start in that market though so it's not an infeasible target.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #508
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
After overheads, retail mark-ups & tax etc, $10 per unit in their pocket is probably closer the mark (so they may be at around $6.5mil net atm)
That I understand.

Maybe Valaquen can clarify, but it seemed like he/she was talking about store price, and that's what I was going by. I wasn't getting into real numbers because even from the money it's made, we don't really know how much the studio actually made.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #509
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

[QUOTE=nouan;25053593]
Quote:
Performance-wise this was solid piece of cinema. Karl Urban made Judge Dredd really intriguing. Because he is a human, yet behaves almost like Robocop. So it was interesting to see what he does and how does he interract with others. Does he show any signs of humane behaviour and stuff like that? And you could feel his steely cold stare behind that black visor, it was cool!
Actually, the ironic thing is Robocop has more humane qualities than Judge Dredd.

Quote:
The plot was fairly simple one, so it's sad that we might not get another, perhaps more complex Judge Dredd story in the future. This was after all a good re-introduction to the world of Mega City One.[/
QUOTE]

These solid home video sales just might have the capacity to say otherwise. One can hope.

rogue trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:11 AM   #510
nouan
Banned User

Ahah, true, Robocop is more human even though he is a cyborg! But I can't believe how little people were intrested on Dredd, he is such a cool character with so much potential for great stories.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #511
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouan View Post
I just saw this movie. I liked it. Of course the production desing was very cheap, which almost painfully sad to see. Those Lawgiver motorcycles were really ugly. If only the production desing of the Stallone movie could have been merged to this. I liked the rough uniforms of the judges though.
The plot was fairly simple one, so it's sad that we might not get another, perhaps more complex Judge Dredd story in the future. This was after all a good re-introduction to the world of Mega City One.
Dredd has had the occasional doubts, with his human nature coming into conflict with his 15 years of training and conditioning at the Academy (he showed empathy and compassion to one tragic citizen leading to him breaching regulations, which in turn had him being analysed by a shrink). They always wrote it well in that we never saw a dramatic (and uncharacteristic) change in his basic personality, it was handled with subtlety.

In the end though the law rules his mind and heart and he always got past the doubts, though they may be coming back to it soon as more recently his clone father Fargo whispered with his dying breath to Dredd that the Judges were never meant to take over permanently and they have killed America, and only Dredd and Rico (Fargo had been briefly brought out of suspended animation so he didn't know what happened to Rico) can fix it. Dredd dismissed it at the time but I figure they won't leave it at that.

They will also have to address his age sooner rather than too now: He is now in his 70's (unlike most other comic books they have aged him in real time relative to when the 2000AD began).

Old 01-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #512
nouan
Banned User

I am actually aware of Dredd's history (even though I made the mistake of calling his bike The Lawgiver, when in fact it's The Lawmaster. Awesome). Watching the movie I was like is he going to show human emotions now? Which he of course really didn't. But even that grumpy cat mouth of his when he was attentive to Andersson's gunshot wound was really kind of him.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #513
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Dredd fans have been going nuts after a preview of Dredd in a gay kiss

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-gay-kiss.html

Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #514
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

Haha! Right. This'll be someone impersonating Dredd or something. Wait and see...

Wesley Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #515
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Since the teaser was released online last month, regular readers have bombarded the writers with abusive messages and even threatened to burn the comic.
Yes, burning books is a completely rationale response. Way to perpetuate the stereotype, fanboys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Dodds View Post
Haha! Right. This'll be someone impersonating Dredd or something. Wait and see...
Probably. It'll just make the nerdrage over it seem that much stupider.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #516
James
Built from Lego

I read that story revolves around a fetish club where the fetish is Dredd. So it's obviously some club-goer dressed as Dredd. From the article on Comics Alliance:

A brutal act takes place, Taylor's father disappears and suddenly this kid is all alone in a world that seems to be firmly telling him to keep who he is hidden so no one gets hurt. Then he finds himself in a Dredd-themed underground gay club, where everyone dresses either as Dredd or as a perp, Dredd being the ultimate symbol of macho, leather-clad repression in this city. It's kind of a Village People deal turned up to 100 in a Mega-City One style. And then the real Dredd arrives.

Also, The Sun is a notorious piece of garbage and nothing you ever read from them should ever be taken without copious amounts of salt.

James is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #517
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Lol. Like they would ever do that with the real Dredd

I figure that caption is from the man being kissed too, not whoever it is dressed up as Dredd (safe to assume that guy already knows his own deal).

Seriously, they have gone to pains to stress Dredd doesn't allow himself to feel romantic inclinations to anyone, of any gender, as Judges are not allowed to (they are supposed to be celibate and he spurned De Marco's advances for example). But both Fargo (his clone father) and Rico (his clone brother) were straight so we can assume Dredd is too. He just takes a lot of cold showers or spends a few minutes longer in the toilet than is customary

Old 01-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #518
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I see Dredd as Asexual.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:30 AM   #519
TheGuy
Side-Kick

Saw this earlier today. Urban kicked ass, but Thirlby didn't sell Anderson for me.

TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:31 AM   #520
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Dredd fans have been going nuts after a preview of Dredd in a gay kiss

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-gay-kiss.html
Was going to clck on the link but then saw the source. I'll have to take your word for it, CM - I wont have anything to do with that particular paper.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #521
nouan
Banned User

Quote:
Lol. Like they would ever do that with the real Dredd

I figure that caption is from the man being kissed too, not whoever it is dressed up as Dredd (safe to assume that guy already knows his own deal).
This would be my guess too. The art looks terrible in that btw. I would also assume Dredd is asexual or like a buddhist monk when it comes to physical pleasures.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:54 AM   #522
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
Was going to clck on the link but then saw the source. I'll have to take your word for it, CM - I wont have anything to do with that particular paper.
Yeah I should of posted a BBC link instead. I'm no fan of the scum either.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #523
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #524
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
I see Dredd as Asexual.
I've preferred thinking of him as celibate (not the same thing). He can feel physical attraction to others, but simply denies himself any indulgence in that. Makes him that much more devoted to his beliefs that he forcibly denies himself such pleasures, rather than him not feeling capable of any of them in first place.

In an odd way this has reminded me of old story when the city was hit by an outbreak from a mutant super-flea, that caused itching so extreme citizens were literally killing themselves in desperate attempts to relieve the constant itching. A solution was figured out (the vile stench from some goo made in a factory repelled them) but at the end Dredd was asked how he never got the fleas as he was never seen scratching himself at all.

He replied that he'd had them all along as well, he just wasn't scratching.

That sums him up. Iron will preventing him from performing a reaction that is completely natural to anyone else.

And that's how I see his sexuality really. It has always been there (his father and brother both enjoyed affairs), but his iron will has always prevented him from indulging in it.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #525
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

I'm not going to lie, I just want to see Judge Death on the big screen. I don't really care about anything else.
OK, I lied, I really want to see Fear, Fire and Mortis as well.

Laugh now, laugh later.

gwynplaine is offline   Reply With Quote