The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 10-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #151
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWN3R View Post
Hooolllly ****t. I know nothing of Dredd outside of the comedy with Stallone. This movie was nuts. Nutso. Urban is the man, and the action was incredible. Seriously surprised by this.
I have a strong feeling that this type of reaction is one that will make the bluray/dvd a potential hit!

rogue trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #152
TX85
Rayner

I don't get why some people would ignore this film because of the Stallone version,Seeing the trailers/photos/reviews/previews on mags&websites or even the f'n theater posters should clearly tell you that it's not a sequel to the first one is not a comedy since the poster clearly gives a dar&gritty vibe.

Judgeing or ignoring a film cause of a version that came out over 10 years ago is beyond stupid!

Old 10-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #153
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisTX85 View Post
I don't get why some people would ignore this film because of the Stallone version,Seeing the trailers/photos/reviews/previews on mags&websites or even the f'n theater posters should clearly tell you that it's not a sequel to the first one is not a comedy since the poster clearly gives a dar&gritty vibe.

Judgeing or ignoring a film cause of a version that came out over 10 years ago is beyond stupid!
People's ignorance is quite something! Last month I was at a local comic convention. At an artists' table there were drawings of comic book characters displayed. One of them was of Judge Dredd, in a classic style reminiscent of Brian Bolland. I then see two guys nearing, and one of them says, in a dismissive way, "it doesn't even look like Stallone"!

Gotta love em'.

Now, still, I think that, from a commercial standpoint, Dredd had a very strong current going against it, aside from people's memory of the 1995 ghost. It had no "bankable" names, either in its actors or its makers(District 9 had Peter Jackson's name attached). Surely, DNA Films has to take these factors into account, and so I think they should really let the home video sales be the true verdict of whether to continue with a sequel or not.

Last edited by rogue trooper; 10-09-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #154
TX85
Rayner

Lol wow!

Old 10-09-2012, 04:42 AM   #155
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:

Not really, as an example if they remade the Inspecter Gadget movie (a movie I absolutely detested) I would be really reluctent to watch the new movie even if I heard good WOM and then I would definately avoid that movie if I saw little advertsing and a lacklustre trailer. However I would give the movie a chance on Blu ray if enough people told me to go see it.
I think most of the general audience think like this, I know I do.

spider-neil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:12 AM   #156
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:

I just dont get why people cant differentiate, they are so obviously totally different movies that just share some characters and the odd trait.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #157
SoulManX
The Inspector!

This happens to all works...when Batman 89 came out people thought it was going to be like the Adam West tv show, yes people are going to go off what they have seen before tis a shame that they do

SoulManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #158
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

There were also people who thought Batman Begins was a sequel to the Schumacher movies when that came out. And, there were other people who thought it was a prequel to Tim Burton's Batman.

Balthus Dire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #159
SoulManX
The Inspector!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthus dire View Post
there were also people who thought batman begins was a sequel to the schumacher movies when that came out. And, there were other people who thought it was a prequel to tim burton's batman.
yep!

SoulManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #160
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I just dont get why people cant differentiate, they are so obviously totally different movies that just share some characters and the odd trait.
You have to remember too that not everybody in the world reads comic books and are just familiar with them through movies/TV/games.

I mean people thought that it was Hellboy at the end of The Avengers and until Nolan's Batman films came out people thought that Joker killed Batman's parents.

Self-contained stories part of a larger story is where its at. Not this writing for the trade nonsense. If you're going to write for the trade, don't release it in individual issues. Just release the trade.
Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #161
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Its strange, the movie seems to be doing pretty well on weekdays but a lot worse on weekends, which is unfortunately when movies make most of their bank. It wouldnt surprise me to see it back in the top 10 come Monday regarding figures. In the US though I dont see this getting more than $15 million,which is a damn crime.
Yeah. I saw it on a Wednesday ... or was it a Thursday? But I went that day because I never go to movies on the weekend, too crowded. I like movies in the middle of the day in the middle of the week. Most likely a holdover from when my friends and I would skip school and go see a movie. Either way, the theater was me and like 4 other guys that day. I had the day off and had not much to do.

I love an empty theater when I'm watching a movie/

ChickenScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:36 AM   #162
skorponok
----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
It doesn't mean anything there is no such thing obviously. He's probably confused it with film funding . Either way according to mojo dredd has made $21 million ww.
No I didn't confuse it with film funding. Presales are when you "sell" the rights to screen a film in a territory before it is made or while it is still in production. It's essentially a fee the theater owners/studios will pay to exhibit a film, or own the rights to it in a particular country. This is why, usually with smaller films, you will notice they are carried by different studios in different countries.

It works much in the same way NETFLIX will pay a fee to carry the film, REDBOX will pay a fee, tv broadcasters will pay a rights fee, and so on and so forth.

There are tons of different ways films make their money outside of simple box office numbers and DVD sales. Those are usually the things published more because they get better headlines than something such as "CANADIAN TELEVISION PAYS 500k for the BROADCAST RIGHTS TO DREDD".

I actually know what I am talking about.

skorponok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:40 AM   #163
skorponok
----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by grout View Post
LOL, I have no clue why I crack up reading this.... What does it mean? how did it make money in pre-sales before it was shot?
Here is a link explaining this further.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118024155?refCatId=13

In short, the film ALREADY HAD its budget of 45 million secured.

THEN it was sold to various territories, RECOUPING a large percentage of the budget before a single frame had even shot.

I don't like using wikipedia as a source, but there is a breakdown here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_finance

Another method is product placement. Since I unfortunately haven't seen Dredd yet (which I'm kicking myself for), I'm not sure how much it exists within the film.

A GREAT example, if you study the film business, of this entire method is TOMB RAIDER: CRADLE OF LIFE. On paper, it flopped at the box office, but if you break down pre-sales, product placement, and various other incentive the film got, it only cost 8 MILLION DOLLARS, as opposed to the 100 million or so I believe is stated on paper. I've seen the actual breakdown for it, and it's pretty freakin' brilliant how they budgeted the film and what incentives they used.

Last edited by skorponok; 10-10-2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: more information
skorponok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:55 AM   #164
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^The thing is though, that movie hasnt a had a sequel, so that doesnt give me any hope that Dredd will, despite all that stuff, if a movie fails at the BO, it doesnt get a sequel, which is an unfortunate truth with Dredd.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 10-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #165
grout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorponok View Post
Here is a link explaining this further.

In short, the film ALREADY HAD its budget of 45 million secured.

THEN it was sold to various territories, RECOUPING a large percentage of the budget before a single frame had even shot.

I don't like using wikipedia as a source, but there is a breakdown here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_finance

Another method is product placement. Since I unfortunately haven't seen Dredd yet (which I'm kicking myself for), I'm not sure how much it exists within the film.

A GREAT example, if you study the film business, of this entire method is TOMB RAIDER: CRADLE OF LIFE. On paper, it flopped at the box office, but if you break down pre-sales, product placement, and various other incentive the film got, it only cost 8 MILLION DOLLARS, as opposed to the 100 million or so I believe is stated on paper. I've seen the actual breakdown for it, and it's pretty freakin' brilliant how they budgeted the film and what incentives they used.
Thats cool,,, I was laughing before because i really did not know if you were kidding or not... You never know sometimes in these places.

grout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #166
Valaquen
Alien Series Maestro

I dug out Necropolis and Young Death: Boyhood of a Superfiend. Would love to these these things on the screen, big or small

Valaquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #167
CaptainCraig
Side-Kick

I'm very late to this thread but glad I finally saw this film yesterday afternoon. Apologies in advance for any repeated thoughts.

Grade: A- / Excellent

I know very little of Judge Dredd and I'm a comic book geek. I've just never fully gotten into him. The stories I've read have always involved a crossover. The Batman/Dredd ones are the ones that stand out. Despite thinning out my monthly comic reading I may try the IDW Judge Dredd series hitting shelves in the coming weeks, due November.

I'm to understand that the original tone of the comic had a certain campiness to it and that's why the comic relief in the '95 Stallone version with Rob Schneider's character in tow as the sidekick was supposed to be accepted. I don't hate that film but I don't love it either.

So Karl Urban is doing this film in the starring role of Dredd and Lena Heady as the drug pushing lead foe has me curious. I was surprised that the RottenTomatoes meter had it at 77% and felt that the population who uses that meter as a guide would turn out to a respectable level---they didn't. Odd, they rushed to Taken 2 with 20% RT score.

I saw this yesterday afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed the film. People like to pretend as if The Raid is the first movie ever to utilized the concept done again in this film. Maybe the first one for the whole film, I'll grant that, but the final third of Punisher War Zone is this same premise. People on movie sites forget that, quality of the film is irrelevant--it does the building siege premise for 1/3 of the film.

I was surprised by how much this film made you care about and empathize with Judge Anderson's character imo. Also, despite Urban being nearly fully covered under the mask he conveyed with his available facial tone and body posture his shift in attitude towards her.

One could say the movie is actually about Judge Anderson and Olivia Thirlby who I've never really noticed before, in such films as No Strings Attached or Juno cause she was just the friend of the main lead, really shines in this role to my surprise.

As of my review, some 19 days after release the film has only managed to muster up $12.8m US domestic. It should've made that it's OW to be honest. It's WW total is $22.9m on a $50m budget. I predict this film will find a cult status on home video but it's too bad cause I think more films, in this world, with Urban and Thrilby as Dredd & Anderson would be great fun. Those involved said another film would've explored life outside the walls, in the Scorched Earth. I'd like to have seen that.

While you still can, GO--SEE-THIS MOVIE---NOW!!
I doubt DVD/BR sales will save this and allow for a sequel sadly.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #168
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCraig View Post
As of my review, some 19 days after release the film has only managed to muster up $12.8m US domestic. It should've made that it's OW to be honest. It's WW total is $22.9m on a $50m budget.
I just want to clarify that WW, it's actually at $28 million. It also has yet to open in Germany, Australia, and Hong Kong.

Last edited by rogue trooper; 10-10-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #169
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCraig View Post

I doubt DVD/BR sales will save this and allow for a sequel sadly.

I'm hopeful people will give it a chance on netflix

spider-neil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #170
The Englishman
Marching On Together

It's a shame all the people who went to see Taken 2 didn't want to go see a good movie instead...

"For England James?" "No......For me"

"The things i do for England."
The Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #171
PWN3R
SHUSH!

^ Sadly, Dredd had no chance due to its marketing. I'm using myself as an example, because I wouldn't fall under the category of "general audience," and even I hardly knew about this character. If someone like myself hardly knows who this character is, then the masses stuffing their faces with Taken 2 have no chance. And I'm not trying to belittle Dredd's following, it's just that it's very much a cult following to the furthest extent of the definition. Everyone is quick to throw around the term "cult following," but Judge Dredd actually earns it.

Most Americans just think of the YouTube clips with Stallone's "I AM THE LAW" looped over and over.

Anyway, caught this a second time. There's just a beauty to the film's methods. It's very much a no-nonsense action film of the past. It's a **** yeah feeling type of film. That last shot with Dredd walking towards the camera? **** yeah.

“What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness." - Don Draper

PWN3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #172
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

The thing with Taken is though its a sequel to a hit, a hit everyone loved, so no matter what the sequel was going to make money.

Dredd was in a different situation, but I would have enough time had passed between both Dredd movies for people to differentiate between the 2, unfortunately, that doesnt seem to be the case.

Damn shame, as there is so much more of this character and his universe to explore.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #173
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Yup, and we're most likely not going to see any of it now. I dont know whether to be angry or upset. Probably a little from column A and little from column B.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #174
grout
Side-Kick

Im still gonna go with my "equilibrium" view... it did much worse and I think even fewer heard about this movie when it came out in theater..
20 Mill Budget.....5 Mill box Office

Equilibrium had the same scenerio that Skorponok was talking about with Dredd in pre-sales.

It did well on DVD and got a cult following.. It got the director a go ahead to make another film (not a sequel to equilibrium).

Maybe its hopeful wishing,, but it could happen.

Last edited by grout; 10-11-2012 at 11:46 AM.
grout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #175
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Maybe. Personally, I think best case scenario is that we get a tv show out of it, although thinking about it that actually may not be the worst thing in the world.