The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #76
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

Default Re: The Resident Evil Thread - Part 3

Its a bit shocking to see a numbered Resident Evil game getting such low scores but the writing was on the wall about this game for a while; at times the demo felt like I was playing Resident Evil: The Movie: The Game.

I'm not sure what to make of this series at the moment.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #77
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

Clearly losing people like Hideki Kamiya and Shinji Mikami was not good for Capcom.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #78
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I think this is a misconception when it comes to the criticism. The problem isn't the direction of the series, but the execution. Apparently it is a bad action game that is more cutscenes and QTEs then actual gameplay.
its not a misconception on my part. The demo played well and the actual gameplay to be found in there was decent enough. Its the direction that I didnt like. It seemed like it would be fit for any other 3rd person shooter but as an RE game, it failed to impress. Based on the small bit I played, I would have figured it would average at least a 7 with critics with the RE fans being the most vocal about it. Unfortunately the final product seems to be worse than I expected. The demo had its flaws, but I guess when you magnify that times several hours, then they become less forgiving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benstamania View Post
I actually don't want Capcom to remake RE2. They'll totally butcher it.
My prediction? Next RE game developed by Ninja Theory. Capcom will get a western developer to reboot it bc they have little faith in their Japanese team. Watch it happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
I never trust reviewers nowadays. IGN gave Silent Hill Downpour 4.5 which was shocking.
Its wise not to trust just one review but when the overwelming majority are coming to the same conclusion, then theres a strong chance that what they are saying is true

Last edited by Havok83; 10-01-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #79
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

I just have zero faith in Capcom. Add what they're doing to RE to how they treat Megaman now and... Well... It's like they don't give a crap about the fans.

I don't want them to go belly up.... But I'd love it if RE6 didn't sell well to teach them a lesson.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #80
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

My prediction? Next RE game developed by Ninja Theory. Capcom will get a western developer to reboot it bc they have little faith in their Japanese team. Watch it happen
I can totally see that happening and at this point I totally approve.

Revelation 22:20
Old 10-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #81
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
I just have zero faith in Capcom. Add what they're doing to RE to how they treat Megaman now and... Well... It's like they don't give a crap about the fans.

I don't want them to go belly up.... But I'd love it if RE6 didn't sell well to teach them a lesson.
Capcom used to be one of my favorite game company. I remember loving the heck out of them growing up. Megaman, SF, Marvel fighters, Darkstalkers, RE, Star Gladiator, etc....those series helped define my childhood. Its a shame what they've become. It seems as if things really started to go downhill within the last 3 years bc they started off this gen fine

Old 10-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #82
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
Next RE game developed by Ninja Theory.
Gross.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #83
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

Quote:
Capcom used to be one of my favorite game company. I remember loving the heck out of them growing up. Megaman, SF, Marvel fighters, Darkstalkers, RE, Star Gladiator, etc....those series helped define my childhood. Its a shame what they've become. It seems as if things really started to go downhill within the last 3 years bc they started off this gen fine

Yup, Capcom used to be one of my top three developers. They don't even grace the top ten list now...Sad.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #84
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
Gross.
At this point it seriously couldn't be any worse than what Capcom themselves are doing. Hell, sell the franchise off to Visceral Games... Let them see if they can do classic RE.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #85
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Yup, Capcom used to be one of my top three developers. They don't even grace the top ten list now...Sad.
Same with Square for me on top of Capcom. They were once the greatest. But they are too afraid to continue to make games like they use to while just evolving it. They are trying to become like the west, and they are failing at that.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #86
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
Dude, Capcom was my absolute favorite game developer from their NES games all the way up to this gen with games like Dead Rising, Lost Planet, and Street Fighter IV. It really bums me out seeing them go so bad so quickly.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #87
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
The funny thing about Revelations is that Capcom said "Don't expect this style again!" They know the fan base love that style... But they themselves want nothing to do with it.

More or less "we'll make it how we want and you'll buy it and like it."
Funny that's how Yoichi Wada from Square acts as well. When someone asked if they could have a FFVII remake, or games like they use to make he was saying ya but only if you buy a ton of FFXIII-2. They don't seem to get if the fans don't want the crap they are giving....stop making it and go back to what is demanded.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #88
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
At this point it seriously couldn't be any worse than what Capcom themselves are doing. Hell, sell the franchise off to Visceral Games... Let them see if they can do classic RE.
I don't know if Visceral is the best way to go either. They soured me on their horror series in just a couple of years while it took Capcom 15+ years to do the same.

Truthfully I'm not a big fan of Japanese devs farming their stuff out to western devs in general. The Japanese have a unique game design sensibility that doesn't seem to be easily replicated.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #89
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Same with Square for me on top of Capcom. They were once the greatest. But they are too afraid to continue to make games like they use to while just evolving it. They are trying to become like the west, and they are failing at that.
SE's western games are better than their Japanese stuff. Without their western developers they'd be in worse shape than they are in

Old 10-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #90
Spade
Cool and Chiseled

The problem isn't that this is trying to be 4. 4 was a good game, though I had more fun with the others. There are objectively bad things in 6, like how the camera can't decide on what you should see and how messy the controls feel for a finished game.

As for the reception? The producer straight up said Capcom wanted 6 done "faster and cheaper" than the previous games, and put hundreds of people on this. If you've ever worked in a group, you can see why this is the result.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #91
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
e.

As for the reception? The producer straight up said Capcom wanted 6 done "faster and cheaper" than the previous games, and put hundreds of people on this. If you've ever worked in a group, you can see why this is the result.
And this is their strategy for their games going forward

Quote:
"We launch sales of popular series titles held by the Company approximately every 2.5 years. This is because the development of a single major title usually requires 3-4 years; in the event that there are few hits, it will be difficult to create a series title every year and earnings will be adversely impacted.

"For this reason, it is important either to maintain a large number of popular titles or shorten the sales cycle to ensure stable earnings. Among the multitude of major titles held by Capcom - such as Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Lost Planet, Dead Rising and many others - we will promote shortening of the sales cycle in pursuit of further earnings stabilisation and growth"

So we'll get more Capcom games each year, and there will be less time between sequels for its more popular titles.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/...strategy-ahead

Old 10-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #92
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

RE: Operation Raccoon City anyone? RE: The Mercenaries? Games nobody asked for. Well, at least I didn't.

It's sad comment on the state of this franchise. Sure I heard Revelations is ok but it's not on an optimal platform.

On a side note, I'm interested in how this new horror game by Mikami turns out:

http://tangogameworks.com/project/index_en.html

Old 10-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #93
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

Seeing all of this, I'm just happy that Ninja Theory is handling Devil May Cry. They're taking their time with the game and we can see that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
RE: Operation Raccoon City anyone? RE: The Mercenaries? Games nobody asked for. Well, at least I didn't.

It's sad comment on the state of this franchise. Sure I heard Revelations is ok but it's not on an optimal platform.

On a side note, I'm interested in how this new horror game by Mikami turns out:

http://tangogameworks.com/project/index_en.html
I'm really looking forward to this. Here's hoping it'll be a great game.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #94
Spade
Cool and Chiseled

Quote:
And this is their strategy for their games going forward
Yeah, I read their quarterly reports, where they first dropped that bomb. They've done this with Street Fighter and Mega Man in the past. It didn't work then, but it's supposed to work now. Also, they want to be "the leader in downloadable content" in ten years. It's all big talk.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #95
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

Quote:
I don't know if Visceral is the best way to go either. They soured me on their horror series in just a couple of years while it took Capcom 15+ years to do the same.

Truthfully I'm not a big fan of Japanese devs farming their stuff out to western devs in general. The Japanese have a unique game design sensibility that doesn't seem to be easily replicated.
I'm not a big fan of Japanese devs anymore...Period. The only worthwhile ones seem to be coming from Nintendo. The rest seem to be just falling by the wayside. I'll take pretty much any Western game over pretty much any Japanese game right now.

Kojima is the only Japanese developer I have true interest in anymore... And even he puts a LOT of Western themes in his games.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #96
zeptron
Side-Kick

Doesn't seem to be too good of a year for Capcom. Operation Raccoon City and Asura's Wrath were both poorly received. SFXT had mixed reviews and the DLC fiasco turned some people off. And now this?

I know IGN gave it a 7.9(which isn't bad), but they gave RE4 and RE5 at least a 9.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #97
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of Japanese devs anymore...Period. The only worthwhile ones seem to be coming from Nintendo. The rest seem to be just falling by the wayside. I'll take pretty much any Western game over pretty much any Japanese game right now.

Kojima is the only Japanese developer I have true interest in anymore... And even he puts a LOT of Western themes in his games.
Id have to agree. Sony's Japan Studio puts out some amazing games but that mainly seems to be in the downloadable and handheld space. They dont seem to have any clue what they are doing with the PS3 (the never ending saga of the non-release of The Last Guardian)

Old 10-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #98
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:

Whether they have been delivering or not is another matter entirely. I was just saying that Japan has a very different game design philosophy than other places, and letting western devs taking a crack at their franchises isn't preferable to me because most of them either don't get, don't know how, or don't care to follow Japanese game design conventions which I happen to generally like.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #99
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Whether they have been delivering or not is another matter entirely. I was just saying that Japan has a very different game design philosophy than other places, and letting western devs taking a crack at their franchises isn't preferable to me because most of them either don't get, don't know how, or don't care to follow Japanese game design conventions which I happen to generally like.
I get what you are saying but alot of Japanese developers dont seem to get their own franchises anymore. It tends to translate into outdated and uninspired gameplay and design. Alot of stuff they put out just doesnt work and the uniqueness about them that made them so special in the past, doesnt stand out and hold up well to what else is out there. The gaming industry has evolved and unfortunately alot of Japanese developers havent kept up. It seems like they are trying to play catch up and tripping over themselves as they do it. Of course this isnt the same for them all but I have to shake my head when I see series I once love go downhill bc those in charge dont seem to have a clue in how to maintain the quality and fun they once used to excel at

Old 10-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #100
Master Chief
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

I'm ambivalent about hearing that the co-op is more of that same uninspired BS. Oh well, I'm not surprised but it's great to see so much honest journalism.