Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #101
Jick09
Auxiliary Assistant

Default Re: The Resident Evil Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeptron View Post
Doesn't seem to be too good of a year for Capcom. Operation Raccoon City and Asura's Wrath were both poorly received. SFXT had mixed reviews and the DLC fiasco turned some people off. And now this?
At least Asura's Wrath and STxT were good among the critics. I blame the insuccess of the first on the final chapter having been cut to be sold as DLC and the second, well, perhaps people are being more cautious now with DLC and second versions coming.
Or maybe not.

ORC was poorly received on all accounts.

They really must stop being so obviously greedy and care more about quality. That's probably why they already lost good people who used to work for them, like Shinji Mikami and Keiji Inafune.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #102
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

I was a bit annoyed that I bought Asura's Wrath after Capcom announced the DLC ending. Didn't buy the DLC, but it was a bit too late for the actual game.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #103
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
I get what you are saying but alot of Japanese developers dont seem to get their own franchises anymore. It tends to translate into outdated and uninspired gameplay and design. Alot of stuff they put out just doesnt work and the uniqueness about them that made them so special in the past, doesnt stand out and hold up well to what else is out there. The gaming industry has evolved and unfortunately alot of Japanese developers havent kept up. It seems like they are trying to play catch up and tripping over themselves as they do it. Of course this isnt the same for them all but I have to shake my head when I see series I once love go downhill bc those in charge dont seem to have a clue in how to maintain the quality and fun they once used to excel at
Yeah, I would never deny that by and large they stumbled very badly this generation. Look at Final Fantasy. Now, I'm not going to call FFXIII ****, because it's not. However, I think it's a fair assessment to say that majority of game critics and fans alike simply thought it wasn't very good. What is Square's response to this? Make two (and a rumored third) direct sequels to it.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #104
Benstamania
Shot first.

You won't call 13 ****.... But I will.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #105
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
I get what you are saying but alot of Japanese developers dont seem to get their own franchises anymore. It tends to translate into outdated and uninspired gameplay and design. Alot of stuff they put out just doesnt work and the uniqueness about them that made them so special in the past, doesnt stand out and hold up well to what else is out there. The gaming industry has evolved and unfortunately alot of Japanese developers havent kept up. It seems like they are trying to play catch up and tripping over themselves as they do it. Of course this isnt the same for them all but I have to shake my head when I see series I once love go downhill bc those in charge dont seem to have a clue in how to maintain the quality and fun they once used to excel at
I disagree with some of this. It is not about them having outdated gameplay. It's about them trying to evolve into something they are not. It's like taking LOTR and by the third film making it a sci-fi comedy. They are failing because they are walking away from their core. All they need to do is go back to the gameplay that worked for them (Like SE and Capcom) and just make slight updates. True good gameplay never gets old. Nintendo still proves that with a lot of their core games. I wish these guys would stop trying to be like some of the Western developers (and even they are starting to fall...Bioware comes to mind, seeing the good Doctors leave prove more that one of my other favorite companies is done for) and just do their own thing.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #106
Jick09
Auxiliary Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro UK View Post
I was a bit annoyed that I bought Asura's Wrath after Capcom announced the DLC ending. Didn't buy the DLC, but it was a bit too late for the actual game.
For what is worth, the final chapter is really awesome and epic and the ending is great. The game would have been much better if that hadn't been cut.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #107
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
I disagree with some of this. It is not about them having outdated gameplay. It's about them trying to evolve into something they are not. It's like taking LOTR and by the third film making it a sci-fi comedy. They are failing because they are walking away from their core. All they need to do is go back to the gameplay that worked for them (Like SE and Capcom) and just make slight updates. True good gameplay never gets old. Nintendo still proves that with a lot of their core games. I wish these guys would stop trying to be like some of the Western developers (and even they are starting to fall...Bioware comes to mind, seeing the good Doctors leave prove more that one of my other favorite companies is done for) and just do their own thing.
Even Nintedo has evolved its gameplay and its franchises. Mario Galaxy doesnt play like the great old Mario games fron the NES and SNES, yet its amazing by taking something new and throwng a new, updated twist which is executed well and overall is fun. The levels and designs are inspired by the past in many ways yet still feel very fresh and modern. Theres a way to take what came before and have it evolve into something that is different yet familiar. Look at what they also did with Metroid which is an even more extreme example of this.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #108
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

<Off-topic>

FFXIII had some awesome music, a few decent characters, a cool battle system, a pretty nonsensical story and poorly developed antagonists, and a lot of linearity and lack of variety. I got all the achievements/trophies in it, it was an enjoyable challenge. It's far from the best of the series, to be sure... I never got to FFXIII-2 as it appeared to be sold in a piecemeal way that I don't respect paying $60+ for...but I may some day since it's cheaper now. Wish there was a GOTY (lol) edition that had everything.

</end off-topic>

Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 10-01-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #109
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Even Nintedo has evolved its gameplay and its franchises. Mario Galaxy doesnt play like the great old Mario games fron the NES and SNES, yet its amazing by taking something new and throwng a new, updated twist which is executed well and overall is fun. The levels and designs are inspired by the past in many ways yet still feel very fresh and modern. Theres a way to take what came before and have it evolve into something that is different yet familiar. Look at what they also did with Metroid which is an even more extreme example of this.
I'm not denying they updated and evolved some. But even Metroid Prime, it is still just Metroid in 3D. Yes new additions, but sorry the core of those gameplay are still the strongest aspect.

Square and Capcom have been doing the opposite. Just trying to go way off into something else. Some evolution is good, but most of these problems are not because of evolution or being "outdated", it's because they have just left their roots completely. It would be like Mario becoming a shooter. It just does not work.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #110
zenith16
Side-Kick

• GI Rating 8.75
    Resident Evil 6

by Tim Turi on Oct 01, 2012 at 10:00 AM

The sheer wealth of satisfying gameplay and insane set pieces has me hooked.
    ... More

and here's them playing it in

• Test Chamber – Resident Evil 6

test chamber on Oct 01, 2012 at 03:00 PM

Watch Jake, the melee dynamo, plow through dudes with his fists and comically slide down an icy mountain pass.
    ... More
source: GI

Next will be ROTR and X-Plays review when their up and ready.

Last edited by zenith16; 10-01-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #111
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benstamania View Post
I think most RE fans want that, yes. IMHO RE4 is where the series started to decline. It wasn't RE anymore.
Quote:
Give me a break lol. The series was at it's best before RE. Sorry RE became huge because of the originals, and have limped on since.

And I love when people say "progress". Changing to another genre does not equate progress. Too many people say that crap.
The series saw a big boost in its profile when 4 hit and with good reason. It is the one universally praised game in the series, called one of the great game of its generation.

The original games built themselves on being terrible to play. RE 4 kept the feel while improving the gameplay drastically by simply moving the camera and fixing the environment.

Progress is essential to game development. Just look at Mario.

Quote:
I'm not denying they updated and evolved some. But even Metroid Prime, it is still just Metroid in 3D. Yes new additions, but sorry the core of those gameplay are still the strongest aspect.

Square and Capcom have been doing the opposite. Just trying to go way off into something else. Some evolution is good, but most of these problems are not because of evolution or being "outdated", it's because they have just left their roots completely. It would be like Mario becoming a shooter. It just does not work.
Once Metroid entered the realm of 3D the game changed dramatically. Yes it has a similar feel, but how you play it is pure evolution. How you traverse the environment, how you shoot, etc.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 10-01-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #112
Benstamania
Shot first.

RE4 has horrible tank controls... Seriously... It's just "Over the Shoulder" tank controls. And what's wrong with Mario? NSMB2 is amazing...I'd play it over RE4-6 anyday.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #113
Soapy
It's happening again...

Resident Evil 4 has FANTASTIC tank controls. I wish more shooters had RE4's control scheme.

Anyway, the conspiracy theories that are forming about all the bad reviews are amazing.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #114
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benstamania View Post
RE4 has horrible tank controls... Seriously... It's just "Over the Shoulder" tank controls. And what's wrong with Mario? NSMB2 is amazing...I'd play it over RE4-6 anyday.
The tank controls became vastly improved when the aiming, the contact sensitive interaction with the environment, the melee attacks and the much improved camera as they catered to them. It also contains some of the great moments in gaming. The Doc, the cabin, the boat, the right hand fight, the El Gigante fight, etc.

And nothing is wrong with Mario. That is the point. NSMB is fun, and even that is an evolution and exist in conjunction with the main series of Mario games. It is the progression seen in the Mario 64 and Galaxies where the series potential is found. If the main series games didn't exist the prestige and acclaim for the series would not be where it is.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 10-01-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #115
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Okay, I'm even enjoying Chris's campaign so far. At the moment, this game might not be the return to the original format some fans were (perhaps naively) hoping for, but I still think its a lot better than 5. If you enjoyed 5, you'll enjoy this. If you enjoyed 4 even, I think you'll enjoy this. Leon's campaign is like a fun, interactive horror movie more than its a survival horror game but it's fun. Chris is less COD like everyone seemed to say and is more like 5 with much better mobility and controls. It's more like an interactive version if SWAT but with zombies etc.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #116
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

I cant not play a RE game. Ill be snagging a copy eventually.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #117
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Why did this one fail with critics?
I really enjoy RE5 in single person, against it being my least favorite RE game of the main series so far
RE6 will be bought after the eventual release of gold edition for the PS3

Old 10-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #118
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Why did this one fail with critics?
I really enjoy RE5 in single person, against it being my least favorite RE game of the main series so far
RE6 will be bought after the eventual release of gold edition for the PS3
it hasn't really failed with all of them it's mixed reviews so far. which means it not really all fail(yet) and not really the best in the series. And not every one of the reviewers is done reviewing yet.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:38 AM   #119
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
it hasn't really failed with all of them it's mixed reviews so far. which means it not really all fail(yet) and not really the best in the series. And not every one of the reviewers is done reviewing yet.
79% is fail compared to RE5's 90% on IGN

But man, gamespot hate this with passion

Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #120
zenith16
Side-Kick

IGN has done alot of terrible reviews over the past 6 years depending on the reviewer but at times there alot of games they reviewed harsher then they ever should have been and some just to show they can do so( I hope that person that did that isn't still there but what ever. at least it's not that same person all the time. games spot up and down and i was sure most people stopped listening to them after that issue with mass Effect 3.

Last edited by zenith16; 10-02-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:44 AM   #121
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

The content of the reviews matter, and they made many points that if true would certainly make their score understandable.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:48 AM   #122
zenith16
Side-Kick

I didn't say they weren't true. But those ones aren't always the best and aren't the be all and end all of all reviews. As in their the final/ only chose and that's it.

I listen to them on occasion. But I take them with a grain of salt cause some have been done just to show case they can be harsh as I've said with first reviewer news site and the other kinda alienated them selves from the people their showcasing too.

It's kinda why I wait for an over all view besides just taking it all from one place.and not every one else is done, yet.

Last edited by zenith16; 10-02-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #123
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

The overall view hasn't been good though. When a video game is scoring that low in general, something is clearly wrong.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #124
zenith16
Side-Kick

yeah well the count is not fully done yet. I do understand it's not looking fully great right now. but til it's done. Anyway res isn't what it used to be since the people that had the vision of making it scary left. it's why I suggested it's time to do with it that that's being with MGR by Kojima pro still publishes it but they have had other Dev studios take of since Capcom's doing the same with the new DMC after this they should consider that with the res series weather they still continue with it or reboot it it's time to have another dev studio take it over I 'm hoping they give to the people of dead space if at all possible, since as you in the GI test chamber capcom tried to rip off one aspect thats part of the dead space game series "game play feature" mechanic wise.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #125
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
IGN has done alot of terrible reviews over the past 6 years depending on the reviewer but at times there alot of games they reviewed harsher then they ever should have been and some just to show they can do so( I hope that person that did that isn't still there but what ever. at least it's not that same person all the time. games spot up and down and i was sure most people stopped listening to them after that issue with mass Effect 3.
Its not just IGN. RE6 has a current Metacritic score of 68 compared to RE5's 84. Across the board its doing worse on average. Heck IGN's "high" score of 79 seems suspect in comparison to all else who are giving it much worse

Closed Thread