The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #26
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 2

You named eight out of 52.

Stormwatch and Demon Knights, surprisingly, were two of the better #0s. Animal Man's was just about average, which for that title is a step down. Same with Swamp Thing, really.

DC New 52 Zero Month basically breaks down to this: for the most part, the titles that are bad have poor showings, several of the great series have good showings, and a few titles give better showings, somehow, than they have any right to.

But Wonder Woman, yes. Justice League and Batman, yes. Detective suffered from horrible cliche and Hurwitz should be ashamed for having written it, especially after his good TDK arc and his fantastic Penguin mini-series - speaking of which, the TDK zero issue was pretty bad too. Talon and Team 7 come out at very good and just about above-average, respectively, but theyre oddballs in this because they're starting their series the way all of these stories should have (or at least been included in, in some form).

Flash good. Aquaman bad. Earth 2 was despicable. Both of those latter titles have been very good, in general. Same with Red Lanterns, which is a bad zero, but has been a good series. It's like Milligan upped the ante for Stormwatch's, then didn't have the energy left for RL.

Then you have your expected-to-be-bad: Red Hood, Teen Titans, Catwoman, Deathstroke, Grifter, Suicide Squad (oh good lord was that terrible), and yet here's Nightwing with a good zero issue, penned by a guest-writer who puts out a better issue than the series regular, which is a whole other load of depressing despite the good issue.

Quite frankly, I'm now going to have nightmares because of all this. Zero month has been a terrible, varied month of grand intentions that, for the most part, didn't get delivered. I've still got several zero issues waiting to be read, but I don't imagine they're going to change this.

Mind you, I purchase at least twice as many DC comics now as I do Marvel, and that will still about hold true after Marvel NOW goes into effect. Heck, I think I buy more independent books than I do Marvel, but that might just be about equal. So this is not "lol DC suxx Marvel ruelz."

But it doesn't make it stink any less. Oh look, this is a Marvel thread.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #27
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

That doesn't seem terrible at all from what you described.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #28
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

a few books were botched like Firestorm , Hawkman, etc.. and those books were horrid , but overrallits a decent job.

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!
Old 09-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #29
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Generally, with either of the big two, you're always going to have that bell curve of awfulness, mediocrity and awesomeness. It's just how it is.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #30
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Animal Man and Swamp Thing's #0s were okay but pissed me off because of their placement. Way to kill the flow of the Rotworld arc just as it was getting interesting.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #31
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
That doesn't seem terrible at all from what you described.
Somewhere in the ten to twenty range of average to good comics, out of 52, isn't terrible?

That'd be a failing grade if we was talking fancy schooling.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #32
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

But no one realistically expects you to be reading DC's entire publishing line. So the fact that you personally actually like about 1/3rd of the #0's is actually a pretty good percentage, given that you probably wouldn't be reading much more than that anyway.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #33
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

But it doesn't make the month - the plan, the intentions, whatever - any less of a misstep.

Please. If numerous Marvel Now titles failed disastrously, which several people have said they'd like to see, or were of questionable to terrible quality despite the high-profile creative teams, you really think people wouldn't be in this thread cheering?

Old 09-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #34
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

I'm sure there would, even though that's kind of stupid. DC books have been dropping off my pull list like flies since the New 52, but I'm not especially happy about it. I wish I could read great comics from both of the Big 2, like I used to do back in the early '00s.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #35
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

You can. You choose not to.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #36
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Well, I do. I mean I want to read more. And the majority of DC's comics are now pretty terrible to me.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #37
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Does anybody have information on the Young Avengers? Also, is the brilliant Hawkeye series set before or after A V X?

Old 09-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #38
Lord
All Mighty

After major relaunches it normally takes a lot of time before most books begin to get good, after Crisis on Infinite Earths they took even longer to shed some light on the origins. Are Marvel books good? the new ones like Hawkeye and Gambit have received excelent feedback, but i sincerelly think they should have been released with the rest of the Marvel Now! line, people waiting for that to get on Marvel comics won't pick comics that are not on issue 1

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #39
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

They're both only a few issues into their runs. If anyone does look at either and go "Oh noessss! It's already on issue 4?! I can't pick it up cause I'll be sooooooo looooooostss!!!", then they probably shouldn't be reading comics period. They can easily hunt down a few issues, either wherever they shop or online, or can trade wait the first arc. If they refuse to pick up a book that early in its run for that reason, then they are the most lazy people on the face of the earth.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #40
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

Yeah, that's kind of a funny stance to take. Besides, Gambit is generally so under-utilized in the X-Men comics, what self-respecting Gambit fan would seriously say "Oh golly, you know, I'd really like to read something with Gambit in it, but four issues in has really violated my over/under of willingness to commit."

Old 09-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #41
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

The two issues I read of Hawkeye were pretty bad. Haven't read any of Gambit because... well... Gambit.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #42
CantThinkOfAName
Side-Kick

I think for the most part that DC's new 52 was a stupid idea because forcing a relaunch on everything is just dumb and, as expected, leads to mixed results. There's no feasible way that creating 52 new comics (yes some of them are just new #1's of old books, but almost all of them had new creative teams/directions). At the same time, I am reading more DC comics than i was before and I guess that's DC's ultimate goal, so I guess it worked.

At least for Marvel, while they are relaunching most books, stuff like Daredevil and X-Factor is staying the same. And most of the books were already winding out their stories/creative teams, so it's not too big a deal that Marvel wants to use that very natural situation as a chance to promote their books.

Having said that, I probably won't be reading most of the new books. That's just cuz I don't care about Avengers or X-Men.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #43
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

Do we know which books are double shipping every month? I know Avengers is, and I see that All New X-Men is at least at the beginning. Same with Thunderbolts, it ships twice in first month.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #44
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

Man Marvel shouldnt push it with some of those staffs..

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #45
Donnie Darko

I would like to check out Thunderbolts, but twice a month sucks. I am giving Amazing Spider-Man a free pass because it has done it so consistently for so long. I also really WANT to read an X-Men book, not counting Uncanny Avengers, but the original five story, shipping twice a month kills me.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #46
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

If you want to read a good X-Men book, go for Wolverine and the X-Men.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #47
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Agreed with Specter313.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #48
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

I think X-Factor is still holding up pretty well as well.

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
Old 10-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #49
Donnie Darko

Read one issue of Wolverine and the X-Men and decided against it, possibly because of Bachalo. Is that book focused more on the students or are there X-Men adventures going on with Wolverine, Gambit, Iceman and Kitty?

Old 10-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #50
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Gambit has yet to appear in that book beyond just standing in a hallway as someone else walks by.

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
Closed Thread