The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man

Old 10-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Default Daefoe slams TASM

During an interview he said "when I first saw the trailer I thought, this is crazy it's basicly the same story, this is just to grab money". He also added "I think when Sam (Rami) did it it was with good intentions".

Anyone find it odd how he basicly suggested that Webb's heart wasn't in it like Rami's and that Sam did it with the best intentions despite the fact that TASM was generally more loyal than SM1? I don't even think he saw the movie lol!

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Default Re: Daefoe slams TASM

Yeah, no one, including Raimi, was thinking of making money with Spider-man 2002. Sure.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #3
sontin
Side-Kick

TASM was more loyal to what?!

sontin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontin View Post
TASM was more loyal to what?!
El comics O!

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 10-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
sontin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
El comics O!
And which one?

TASM isn't even close to Amazing Spider-Man or Ultimate Spider-Man...

sontin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontin View Post
And which one?

TASM isn't even close to Amazing Spider-Man or Ultimate Spider-Man...
Your right,

It didn't take the ultimate characterisations bar Gwen, the look and feel of the ultimate universe and it didn't adapt general Spider-Man lore like web shooters or quips.

Yeah not even close

Avvy by OriginalMiles

Last edited by Green Goblin; 10-06-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
PeterBenParker
Side-Kick

Lol.

1. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - ****˝
2. Spider-Man 2 - ****
3. The Amazing Spider-Man - ***˝
4. Spider-Man - ***
5. Spider-Man 3 - **˝
PeterBenParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
During an interview he said "when I first saw the trailer I thought, this is crazy it's basicly the same story, this is just to grab money". He also added "I think when Sam (Rami) did it it was with good intentions".

Anyone find it odd how he basicly suggested that Webb's heart wasn't in it like Rami's and that Sam did it with the best intentions despite the fact that TASM was generally more loyal than SM1? I don't even think he saw the movie lol!
Can you post a link for this interview?

The title of this thread is misleading. Based on the quotes you provided I don't see where "Dafoe was slamming TASM." He didn't say anything negative about the film itself like he was giving the movie a bad review. He probably hasn't even watched it. He's only talking about how similar it looked to the story in SM1 via a trailer and then commented on the probability that TASM was being made to make money. That's a comment anyone could make really, cause all movies are made to make money...it's a business. And the whole "good intentions" quote is just him giving his opinion which again has nothing to do with how TASM was made. Unless there's more to the article/interview Dafoe isn't saying anything that would constitute "slamming."

Last edited by UltimateWebhead; 10-06-2013 at 03:42 PM.
UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
Rise_-
Side-Kick

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/wi...-reboot/322791

Spider-Man has had various retellings over the years, such as Ultimate Spider-Man, but various points are always kept the same, such as Ben dying, Peter getting bit. I don't think Willem knows enough about Spider-Man and that's probably why he's saying what he's saying.

TASM could be seen as being similar to SM1, fair enough. TASM 2 is definitely very different though and I think that any complaints with how Webb's Spider-Man is ripping off Raimi's are going to stop with TASM 2, as they are clearly doing their own thing now.

- Superhero Hyperbole Forums.
Rise_- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

A movie being made to make money? Thats non-sense.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

I get what he's saying, and I don't think he was inferring that Webb's heart wasn't in it. Just that when Raimi made his movie (which was in development hell for a long time) there was a more I guess purity to it (as pure as Hollywood tent pole could be), Sam being a huge fan of the character, trying to make the best movie he could, etc...

With ASM, it really was more of a cash grab, they needed to make another movie to keep the rights ASAP.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #12
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
I get what he's saying, and I don't think he was inferring that Webb's heart wasn't in it. Just that when Raimi made his movie (which was in development hell for a long time) there was a more I guess purity to it (as pure as Hollywood tent pole could be), Sam being a huge fan of the character, trying to make the best movie he could, etc...

With ASM, it really was more of a cash grab, they needed to make another movie to keep the rights ASAP.
While it does seem that they made the movie to keep the rights I felt that Mark Webb and his cast and crew were dedicated to making a faithful Spider-man moviee(taking elements from mainly Ultimate Spider-man, the early Stan Lee/Steve Ditko early run and a little new comics).

I knew there were going have similarities to the Sam Rami movie because they are doing a Spider-man origin for his telling of Spider-man. There isn't much he could deviate from. It was fun seeing Peter's development into a hero in TASM.

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
ironman29758 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:03 AM   #13
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:

I get that the studio cared less but I'm sure Webb cared just as much as Rami did.

Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 10-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #14
webhead9707
Dr. Perky

Yeah I like him as an actor, but that's like saying Passion of the Christ was a ripoff of every movie about Jesus ever.

By day, a normal mild mannered fellow. By night, he is Dr. Perky, a brutal vigilante known for breaking the limbs of the corrupt and heartless....all while in a cuddly bear costume. BEWARE BE BEAR!!!!! Summer 2011.
My Deviantart
PSN ID:NerdHerd9707
I won't push it on you but if you'd like to ask me about Christ, I'm here.
webhead9707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick

Quote:

At least someone around here gets it...

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #16
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead9707 View Post
Yeah I like him as an actor, but that's like saying Passion of the Christ was a ripoff of every movie about Jesus ever.
But he brings up a good point, that an origin story was completely unnecessary, especially since it doesn't even bother with a new take.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #17
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
But he brings up a good point, that an origin story was completely unnecessary, especially since it doesn't even bother with a new take.
No wrestling thing, no organic webshooters, no Mary Jane but Gwen (who is not kidnapped), no Green Goblin, Uncle Ben can actually reprehend Peter, Peter is heroic before becoming Spider-man, and a long etcetera of differences. It was certainly a different take, but the origin is the origin. I guess the next Hamlet movie can't have the ghost thing because we have already seen that?

ASM was made to grab money just the same as SM1.

Last edited by Senator Pleasury; 10-08-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #18
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

It still retread familiar ground in a long winded way, with something as well known as Spider-Man they should have followed The Incredible Hulk, and done a quick origin over the credits.

And Peter being heroic before gets bit, completely misses the point of the character. I would not cite that as a positive.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:47 AM   #19
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
I agree that origin was unnesseaary but it was a new take.

They adapted the Ultimate Origin Story which was different enough IMO. I also do not think because it's an origin story that means the movie sucks.

The thing with saying TASM was a cash grab is not really true. It was in production for two years.

Had the studio wanted a cash grab they simply would have tried to meet the Spider-Man 4 release date and if it sucked it would simply tarnish a franchise that has already been tarnished.

Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 10-09-2013, 02:04 AM   #20
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:

The thing with saying TASM was a cash grab is not really true. It was in production for two years.

Had the studio wanted a cash grab they simply would have tried to meet the Spider-Man 4 release date and if it sucked it would simply tarnish a franchise that has already been tarnished.
Well no, it doesn't have to be rushed to be a cash grab. There's novway they could have made a CG heavy movie from scratch within a year.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:10 AM   #21
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Well no, it doesn't have to be rushed to be a cash grab. There's novway they could have made a CG heavy movie from scratch within a year.
It was even longer than two years, James V wrote the first draft in late 2009 in case Rami dropped out.

Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 10-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #22
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

He may have written a draft, doesn't mean Sony went straight for that. It could have been scrapped and had him start from scratch, and then other writers came on, etc...

Old 10-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #23
Lord
All Mighty

It's not as if he was saying such a new thing, the reaction of a lot of people when they heard about it was "why?", so it's obvious that rebooting a film from 2002 that has inspired so many other films and was such a phenomenon is going to feel weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #24
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
It's not as if he was saying such a new thing, the reaction of a lot of people when they heard about it was "why?", so it's obvious that rebooting a film from 2002 that has inspired so many other films and was such a phenomenon is going to feel weird.
At the time yes, but not so much now.

It makes more sense to reboot Spider-Man than make a fourth.

Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 10-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #25
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
He may have written a draft, doesn't mean Sony went straight for that. It could have been scrapped and had him start from scratch, and then other writers came on, etc...
That's just may and if. All we know is that the film was in production for over 2 years. A reboot was always planned after SM4's final draft.

Avvy by OriginalMiles