The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

View Poll Results: The reboot should be based on....
A) Realism 3 2.59%
B) Dark Imagination 39 33.62%
C) Silliness 2 1.72%
D) Both A and B 64 55.17%
E) Other 8 6.90%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #51
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Default Re: Batman reboot: Should it be based on realism, dark imagination, or silliness

I think that it is a good thing that all Batman movies have followed a different approach to the character, none look like others, otherwise all would have the same generic tone like what Marvel Studios movies have.

I mean,

Burton's take is based on early Batman years, using original Bob Kane's interpretation of Batman.

Schumacher's Batman movies are influenced By Adam West Batman series and have Campy treatment of Batman.

Nolan's Batman movies have a grounded feel and a touch of realism, they have adapted the elements from comics.

Now, for the next iteration of Batman we could bring it more closer to modern Batman Comics or Batman games like Arkham Asylum.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #52
Rodrigo90
RIP Robin

Default Re: Batman reboot: Should it be based on realism, dark imagination, or silliness

But by Batman Retuns, it was ALL Burton. Hardly anything was from the comics. And people ***** about Nolan, and some say Returns is the greatest movie?

I just want them to take notes from the TAS, as the Arkham games did.
I don't mean that obscure 40's setting in mordern day or anything, that was Burton's idea.

I mean in terms of pure writing...and no I don't mean Joker busting out of Arkham on his rocket Christmas tree or anything like that either.

I mean seeing Bruce Wayne visit his parents grave, and even TALK to it. Like MOTP, that was an excellent scene, where Bruce was begging his parents to release him from his vow.

It was a cartoon. But it was way more adult than other things I've seen out there.

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #53
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
I think that it is a good thing that all Batman movies have followed a different approach to the character, none look like others, otherwise all would have the same generic tone like what Marvel Studios movies have.

I mean,

Burton's take is based on early Batman years, using original Bob Kane's interpretation of Batman.

Schumacher's Batman movies are influenced By Adam West Batman series and have Campy treatment of Batman.

Nolan's Batman movies have a grounded feel and a touch of realism, they have adapted the elements from comics.

Now, for the next iteration of Batman we could bring it more closer to modern Batman Comics or Batman games like Arkham Asylum.
Yeah Burton took a little bit from Kane's original interpretation. But Returns was a complete butcher job. Burton spat on the comics WAY more than Nolan ever did.

But you're right, each has its own style and that's what i love.

Tim Burton was more about his own ego. He wasn't a YES MAN like Shumacher, he wanted to change everything to fit his weird world of movies. He went with an opposite visual style from the West show, but he still honored the camp & used the same villains. He never really read any comics, unlike Nolan or Shumacher..but of course Joel had no balls to do his own thing. If you look at his other movies, he had the ability to one-up Burton as far as making a good Batman movie was concerned. But he instead did everything that he was told by the studio. They wanted a modern Adam West, and he gave it to em.

Thank god he did because it lead to Nolan and that will eventually lead to a similar set of movies (serious/grit/character driven/no camp) but instead of realism it will be more fantastical. Whether you love Nolan or hate him, good things will come out of it for Batman fans. Especially the purists.

If Burton was influenced a bit by Kanes original version, mixed with his own ideas....Shumacher was influenced by 60s television....Nolan was influenced by graphic novels of the 80s/90s mixed with his ideas on realism.......the reboot should be a cross between modern comics & the Arkham video games (which like u guys say is a less kid friendly take on The Animated Series).

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #54
actionavenue
Action Ave Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
A lot more B than A...only hints of A.

Basically...just turn Arkham Asylum into a live action movie and then we'll have a true Batman film.

I enjoyed the Nolan versions of Batman and his world, however, my preference is for the Burton style when it comes to Batman. It just seems that a character like Batman and his many foes fit in perfectly with Burton's original movie back in '89. Plus, I agree with you and any other person who posted that bringing in Arkham Asylum into a Batman movie, perhaps the main part of a plot, would be ideal (of course, complete with creepy atmosphere and intense action sequences).

http://zazzle.com/actionave
actionavenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #55
shauner111
Side-Kick

They should just do a new trilogy that's based on the Arkham games. Same type of universe. Expand it even more. All 3 movies have appearances from just about every rogue from the comics/games and just go for it. You can reference Joker a few times then bring him in towards the end of the trilogy for a big battle with Batman but have a ****load of cameos, fight scenes, villains used in minor roles to just move the plot forward. You can still use the premise of having 1 main villain for each of the 3 films but make it clear that they all exist and Bats is pretty much aware of most of them (already had battles with them even though he's young and in his prime).

It's the perfect time to do them since Arkham City is still buzzing. They know it's a huge success and fans love it. And i dont think they're making sequels for that game so....Come on Warner Brothers.

What's left? It's time for complete comic accuracy for the 1st time ever. Now is the time to take Nolans style and go fantasy with it (visually speaking). Enter "Arkham Asylum/City". The spoofs have been done, the most famous graphic novels have been used as influences for the Dark Knight Trilogy, the comics have been turned inside out time & time again with the last 3 filmmakers....let's have a modern comic accurate/video game adaptated MOVIE! Look to the video games now WB.

Last edited by shauner111; 10-06-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #56
Rodrigo90
RIP Robin

What game are they making exactly? Lol

Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #57
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
But by Batman Retuns, it was ALL Burton. Hardly anything was from the comics. And people ***** about Nolan, and some say Returns is the greatest movie?

I just want them to take notes from the TAS, as the Arkham games did.
I don't mean that obscure 40's setting in mordern day or anything, that was Burton's idea.

I mean in terms of pure writing...and no I don't mean Joker busting out of Arkham on his rocket Christmas tree or anything like that either.

I mean seeing Bruce Wayne visit his parents grave, and even TALK to it. Like MOTP, that was an excellent scene, where Bruce was begging his parents to release him from his vow.

It was a cartoon. But it was way more adult than other things I've seen out there.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #58
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

For me,it comes down to this: Burton=Style over substance/Nolan=Substance over style (For the most part)

I'd like to see TAS take used,which married the comic style with a meaningful take on the characters.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #59
dusk20
Side-Kick

Hasn't it been said that this new Batman will spin out of the Justice League movie? So in saying that, whatever type of Batman we get, it'll have to fit with whatever the justice League tone is like. Which sadly I think means a little lighter than Nolan. Not that it's a bad thing, but for those caring.

Personally I'd love to be a Batman Beyond approach for the next film. Set in the future, and have the older Bruce in the cave. Then after a movie or two, return to the younger Batman franchise. That way we've had time between Nolan's trilogy and can make the new Batman however they want.

dusk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #60
Sun_Down
Groovy

I don't think it necessarily has to fit into any of the above boxes. All I really want is a good film/franchise.

People make a lot of the "realism" of Nolan's movies, but they're still full of ridiculous implausible stuff. Basically "realism" means "no superpowers," but there was nothing all that realistic about the movies. So I think a World's Finest/Big Three approach wouldn't be all that outlandish, especially if they play up the huge gap between Bats and Superman, for example. That contrast could be really cool on screen.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #61
shauner111
Side-Kick

Yeah we use the term too much. There's plenty of comic book moments in the trilogy. Hyper-Reality is usually the better term for Nolans style. He more or less takes concepts that can seem a little far-out sometimes and he grounds them as much as it can be grounded. Batman & "superheroes", dreams & "dream-sharing", magic, etc.

A Worlds Finest/Trinity movie sounds cool. Maybe better than Justice League. Id rather see the big 3 (or even Flash as one more) than include Green Lantern, Aquaman and more aliens.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #62
The Guard
Side-Kick

At some point, some uber-creative (rational) creator will figure out that a Batman film can easily have some realism, but still have over the top, comic book elements, and still be a faithful, fresh portrayal of the character.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #63
Sun_Down
Groovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post

A Worlds Finest/Trinity movie sounds cool. Maybe better than Justice League. Id rather see the big 3 (or even Flash as one more) than include Green Lantern, Aquaman and more aliens.
Yeah, it gets messy in a hurry with all those types of characters. The audience will really only have to be sold WW's backstory, since most people will have a good idea about Batman's and Superman's.

Plus it would be nice to have a movie where you really develop two or three characters, as opposed to barely developing five or six. Unlikely to happen, though, in reality.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #64
Airwings
Waves of air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
did you read batman script by darren? alfred was'nt bruce butler he was an african american mechanic named big al that took bruce in and Bruce started off wearing hockey masks as a vigilante before taking batman look
That was before Nolan entered the Batman world to show how things should be done. I think Aronofsky knows that he has to make a more "normal" version of Batman. WB will also deny him to step too far away from what Batman should be.
But he could still style up the film with some of his own visions, and not just turn out to be a "Nolan copycat" or a "Nolan light"

Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #65
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Yeah we use the term too much. There's plenty of comic book moments in the trilogy. Hyper-Reality is usually the better term for Nolans style. He more or less takes concepts that can seem a little far-out sometimes and he grounds them as much as it can be grounded. Batman & "superheroes", dreams & "dream-sharing", magic, etc.

A WF/Trinity movie would also be a lot easier for any director to handle since it's fewer characters to juggle. The more I think about it, the more I prefer that to a full-on JL movie.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #66
shauner111
Side-Kick

Oh the things i would do to see a Trinity movie with Cavill, Fassbender & Blunt.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #67
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

I would make it VERY dark, but based on plausible fantasy. Granted the idea I have for a trilogy is similarly realistic like Nolan's, but still throwing fantasy in would be GREAT!

I want to see an established Batman, established crime lords (but no super villains yet), a corrupt judicial system (Harvey Dent added, but no Two Face) and a TON of violent creepiness (which I use Red Hood/Joker, Penguin, Victor Zasaz and Black Mask for that).

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #68
Vaibow
Side-Kick

Batman has been around for about a year, the press are onto him and the city are familiar with the legend of this bat man! Sightings have been reported and criminals have made statements, but notihng has been done, Jim Gordon has been asigned to bring him in, but, after some research an incident where Jim was helped by the bats (handed information) he decides to lay off the bats.
Criminal under world is controlled by a criminal known as 'the penguin' a mafia type set up.
One person can bring down the penguin, but he is locked up in arkham asylum - Batman decides to go in and extract the information.

There is my basis for the reboot opener

Vaibow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #69
Changeling
Banned User

I would love to see a dark fantasy take on Batman done by Guillermo Del Toro

Think about how amazing Mr Freeze, Clayface, Killer Croc, and ManBat could look with Del Toro directing <3

I definitely think we need a director with a distinct visual style, Nolan imo didnt have that, his Batman movies didnt have a distinct visual style, they looked like they were shot in the real world because they were. I want to see something more fantastical. I loved the Burton/ Schumacher films visual styles, we need a new vision for the new reboot

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #70
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changeling View Post

Think about how amazing Mr Freeze, Clayface, Killer Croc, and ManBat could look with Del Toro directing <3

I definitely think we need a director with a distinct visual style, Nolan imo didnt have that, his Batman movies didnt have a distinct visual style, they looked like they were shot in the real world because they were. I want to see something more fantastical. I loved the Burton/ Schumacher films visual styles, we need a new vision for the new reboot
That would be really interesting.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #71
Changeling
Banned User

This is off topic but Guillermo Del Toro doing a remake of The Neverending Story would be a dream come true

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #72
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:

Quote:
This is off topic but Guillermo Del Toro doing a remake of The Neverending Story would be a dream come true
That would be awesome

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #73
Caped Crusader
The One Man Who Beat You

A & B for sure

Caped Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #74
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Am I the only one who feels like the Arkham Games are too Schumachery sometimes?

I'm not a fan of goofy clown 'goons', neon, and all that. (And I'm especially not a fan of the character proportions in that game. Everyone looks like a tree trunk).

I'm also especially not a fan of the overdone gothic architecture in the Burton movies.

And no, no 10 year old boys running around with him. Even Schumacher thought that this wasn't fit for the screen, even for a kids movie.

FeedOnATreeFrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #75
TheWatcher
Dapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
Am I the only one who feels like the Arkham Games are too Schumachery sometimes?

I'm not a fan of goofy clown 'goons', neon, and all that. (And I'm especially not a fan of the character proportions in that game. Everyone looks like a tree trunk).

I'm also especially not a fan of the overdone gothic architecture in the Burton movies.

And no, no 10 year old boys running around with him. Even Schumacher thought that this wasn't fit for the screen, even for a kids movie.
Yes you are.

Jokers goons are dressed up as clowns, that seems right.

What neon?

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote