The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #51
chaseter
Bland User

Default Re: The Official Mitt Romney Thread II - Part 2

Nah. People vote on who will give them the most or not take away the most for them. It's why the rich business owners love the GOP and the poor entitlement class love the DNC.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #52
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Well, why would you vote against your best interest? You can say "think about what's best for the entire country" but no one gives a **** about them.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #53
chaseter
Bland User

That's what America is all about...me. The US is the Titanic. The rich will have lifeboats and we all will sink with the ship. No one cares to worry about what could go wrong. We are just all happy to get as much as we can as easily as we can.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #54
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
That's what America is all about...me. The US is the Titanic. The rich will have lifeboats and we all will sink with the ship. No one cares to worry about what could go wrong. We are just all happy to get as much as we can as easily as we can.
Its the "too big to fail" mentality.

H.E.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #55
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

OMG...Big Bird is dominating most of the narrative surrounding Romney's debate, which underscores a reason I believe he wasn't as successful as some here would suggest. There is a video featuring Big Bird giving a response to Mitt Romney that is so hysterically funny it'd make you guys pee your pants.

But I can't post a link to it here because it's NSFW due to innappropriate language. Funny as hell though.

Once you've fallen, just lay there. As you lay, simply think of how stupid you are and how your stupidity got you there.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #56
Burgundy LaRue
Side-Kick

I saw the video. Hilarious, but definitely potty-mouthed.

One can mess with a lot of things and get away with it. Sesame Street is not among them. Big Bird is not to be ****ed with.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #57
Lightning Strykez!

I laughed until I cried. So effing hysterical. I will never look at Big Bird--or any of those creatures living on Sesame Street--the same way again.

Once you've fallen, just lay there. As you lay, simply think of how stupid you are and how your stupidity got you there.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #58
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

I find it hysterically funny that people think that any of the programs on PBS would go away because the Federal Funding was pulled...those that are viably money makers would continue...those that are crap, wouldn't....so sad.

Hell, give me the commercials over those idiot asking me for $75 bucks and I'll get a CD of DIVO.... good lord...

Old 10-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #59
Burgundy LaRue
Side-Kick

It's a matter of perception. I think PBS gets 14 cents of funding for every $10,000 the government spends. It adds up in the end, but it's not much in comparison to other programs.

Sesame Street probably makes enough money to keep the network afloat by itself. But the idea of someone going after Sesame Street when looking to cut government spending is akin to selling a child's teddy bear when looking to pay your mortgage.

And that $75 CD is from IL Divo! Get your facts straight!

Old 10-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #60
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue View Post
It's a matter of perception. I think PBS gets 14 cents of funding for every $10,000 the government spends. It adds up in the end, but it's not much in comparison to other programs.

Sesame Street probably makes enough money to keep the network afloat by itself. But the idea of someone going after Sesame Street when looking to cut government spending is akin to selling a child's teddy bear when looking to pay your mortgage.

And that $75 CD is from IL Divo! Get your facts straight!
Oooh, I am soooooo sorry....lol

Old 10-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #61
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Default Re: The Official Mitt Romney Thread III

I've been reading the comments section on Yahoo, not exactly a productive pastime, I know but, they got me thinking about the whole PBS debate. Romney really created a strawman with this talking point. PBS funding accounts for .00012% of the federal budget. To put this in perspective, your annual budget would have to exceed $833,333/year before that cut would even register a single dollar. Romney really made it seem like the federal budget was being bled dry by PBS.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #62
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
I've been reading the comments section on Yahoo, not exactly a productive pastime, I know but, they got me thinking about the whole PBS debate. Romney really created a strawman with this talking point. PBS funding accounts for .00012% of the federal budget. To put this in perspective, your annual budget would have to exceed $833,333/year before that cut would even register a single dollar. Romney really made it seem like the federal budget was being bled dry by PBS.
But if you get rid of PBS then Millionaires can get a 20% tax cut and everything will equal out in Romney World. lol

Millionaires of coarse will take that extra money and hire people for the hell of it because they love nothing more then job creating

Old 10-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #63
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

I think the PBS thing was more about symbolism of where our money is going and the things that really could go it without my tax dollars rather than, the thinking that it ALONE, is going to make a huge difference.

It was not a GOOD EXAMPLE TO USE, you don't disrespect Big Bird.....I would have used something else as my example. I guess Lehrer sitting in front of him gave him the idea...
: /

Old 10-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #64
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
OMG...Big Bird is dominating most of the narrative surrounding Romney's debate, which underscores a reason I believe he wasn't as successful as some here would suggest. There is a video featuring Big Bird giving a response to Mitt Romney that is so hysterically funny it'd make you guys pee your pants.

But I can't post a link to it here because it's NSFW due to innappropriate language. Funny as hell though.
It doesn't help that the comedy shows are eating it up also.
Big Bird Doesn't Stand A Chance Against Mitt Romney - CONAN on TBS
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Jon Stewart, Lewis Black, and Big Bird weigh in on Obama/Romney debate
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 10-07-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #65
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I think the PBS thing was more about symbolism of where our money is going and the things that really could go it without my tax dollars rather than, the thinking that it ALONE, is going to make a huge difference.

It was not a GOOD EXAMPLE TO USE, you don't disrespect Big Bird.....I would have used something else as my example. I guess Lehrer sitting in front of him gave him the idea...
: /
I am guessing that was one of Romney "zingers"

I personally think picking Big Bird as an example of PBS was stupid since most people born after 1965 would have a positive feeling of Big Bird. He might have been better off using Elmo(who was more a character created 20 years ago, so less people voting would identify with him)

Old 10-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #66
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
I am guessing that was one of Romney "zingers"

I personally think picking Big Bird as an example of PBS was stupid since most people born after 1965 would have a positive feeling of Big Bird. He might have been better off using Elmo(who was more a character created 20 years ago, so less people voting would identify with him)
And using Elmo, especially that f***ing Tickle Me Elmo, would have earned him the sympathy vote from our generation!

And Kelly, you're right, it was a horrible example. Mainly because of how little of the budget it represents. It would be like me saying that I'm going to save money by not treating myself to that stick of gum I get every year.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #67
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

It was a horrible idea to use this as symbolism. I know what they were trying to do tying PBS to their "intellectual elite" viewers but damn near everyone in the US grew up on Seasame St. It's literally universally loved for many good reasons. Romney kicked the president's ass in the debate but that one thing is enough to make this even in the media. The idea that someone was standing around and deciding, "you know what, let's make a point of calling out that mouching beloved puppet class, that should get the average independent behind us" and that got approved is a stupid disconnect.

Also PBS has downton abbey and that awesome sherlock series and runs poirot at times which are all awesome. My advice: just step away Mitt, give elmo a hug, remember cookies are a sometimes food, say your sorry and it'll be ok. This advice is sponsored by the letter F the number 3 and the color blue.

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
Old 10-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #68
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moraldeficiency View Post
It was a horrible idea to use this as symbolism. I know what they were trying to do tying PBS to their "intellectual elite" viewers but damn near everyone in the US grew up on Seasame St. It's literally universally loved for many good reasons. Romney kicked the president's ass in the debate but that one thing is enough to make this even in the media. The idea that someone was standing around and deciding, "you know what, let's make a point of calling out that mouching beloved puppet class, that should get the average independent behind us" and that got approved is a stupid disconnect.

Also PBS has downton abbey and that awesome sherlock series and runs poirot at times which are all awesome. My advice: just step away Mitt, give elmo a hug, remember cookies are a sometimes food, say your sorry and it'll be ok. This advice is sponsored by the letter F the number 3 and the color blue.
Oh, I'm not going to disagree with you on that.....NOT AT ALL.....it was a moment....but I also think it is pretty stupid to try and explain it as "he thinks that cutting funding to PBS, will make a difference"...I do not think that is what he thinks....

I think there were far more things that the left can be crying foul on that that....lol, but it made for a great SNL skit last night.....

Old 10-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #69
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

Quote:
Oh, I'm not going to disagree with you on that.....NOT AT ALL.....it was a moment....but I also think it is pretty stupid to try and explain it as "he thinks that cutting funding to PBS, will make a difference"...I do not think that is what he thinks....

I think there were far more things that the left can be crying foul on that that....lol, but it made for a great SNL skit last night.....
I agree the problem is he mentioned it like it would. So it was stupid symbolically, economically and emotionally. It took him doing the best job so far in his running and added the astrick *won debate, but hates cuddly muppets that want to teach children and love you*. What bothers me most is this wasn't an off the cuff remark, people thought up this point and it was approved. Who the hell thinks they would come off well with talking getting tough on muppets?

There were a lot more issues for the left to consider, but there really can't be a better symbolic image than mitt vs seasame street as to why mitt would be wrong for america. Want an easy win, dems? Have elmo on tv asking why mitt wants him to be homeless. After three days of kids crying to their parents how the evil man wants to hurt seasame street, even hardcore republican parents wouldn't vote for him if it meant 4-8 years of their kids giving them ****.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #70
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

I don't know that it wasn't an "off the cuff" comment....no reason for me think it was thought about before hand...

Not the right example, yes....which tells me it was an "off the cuff" comment...

I don't know....it is not the main thing of the debate that I found interesting, and certainly not the most important thing I saw...and definitely not worth the amount of press and discussion it has gotten...lol

Old 10-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #71
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

Quote:
I don't know that it wasn't an "off the cuff" comment....no reason for me think it was thought about before hand...

Not the right example, yes....which tells me it was an "off the cuff" comment...

I don't know....it is not the main thing of the debate that I found interesting, and certainly not the most important thing I saw...and definitely not worth the amount of press and discussion it has gotten...lol
Mitt, as evidenced buy an actual good debate showing was well prepared and rehearsed. I don't think any word he spoke was off the cuff because he didn't make an ass of himself which he tends to do when he goes there.

I could be wrong but really tossing in PBS as an example of wasteful gov. spending means if it was off the cuff his debate team didn't give him a single example or B and much more likely, it was prepared and ready.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #72
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Quote:
I agree the problem is he mentioned it like it would. So it was stupid symbolically, economically and emotionally.
Beat me to it.
Quote:
Mitt, as evidenced buy an actual good debate showing was well prepared and rehearsed. I don't think any word he spoke was off the cuff because he didn't make an ass of himself which he tends to do when he goes there.
He does seem to find his feet extra tasty.
Quote:
I could be wrong but really tossing in PBS as an example of wasteful gov. spending means if it was off the cuff his debate team didn't give him a single example or B and much more likely, it was prepared and ready.
Good point.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #73
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue

The difference between Mitt Romney and Clint Eastwood?

Clint debated an empty chair.

Mitt debated an empty suit.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #74
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
The difference between Mitt Romney and Clint Eastwood?

Clint debated an empty chair.

Mitt debated an empty suit.

I saw two empty suits that night. Because the Mitt I've been watching the last few years didn't show up either.

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 10-09-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #75
Frodo
Side-Kick

Romney was good debate night. Then again, he's always been good in debates . I'm more stunned so many of the progressive side are acting like the election is over and Romney's most likely gonna win after one debate. I can understand Republicans and conservatives feeling energized, but the fact that so many Dem/Liberal pundits are stil moaning and moaping about the debate is pretty disturbing to me.

One of the things I respect about Republicans is that they do stick together and they don't let bad news break their spirit. Liberals in the pundits, on the other hand seem to run away and hide after one bad night and hang their heads in shame. Unfortunately , getting the Democratic party to unite on anything is like herding cats. As Will Rogers said years ago, "I'm not part of an organized political organization. I'm a Democrat".

Closed Thread