Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #76
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Default Re: The Official Mitt Romney Thread III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Romney was good debate night. Then again, he's always been good in debates . I'm more stunned so many of the progressive side are acting like the election is over and Romney's most likely gonna win after one debate. I can understand Republicans and conservatives feeling energized, but the fact that so many Dem/Liberal pundits are stil moaning and moaping about the debate is pretty disturbing to me.

One of the things I respect about Republicans is that they do stick together and they don't let bad news break their spirit. Liberals in the pundits, on the other hand seem to run away and hide after one bad night and hang their heads in shame. Unfortunately , getting the Democratic party to unite on anything is like herding cats. As Will Rogers said years ago, "I'm not part of an organized political organization. I'm a Democrat".
Agreed. I am so annoyed with Chris Matthews and others on MSNBC whining about Obama's debate. It's like...they're shattered by the realization that Golden Boy Obama is...>gasp!< HUMAN and fallible!!

Once you've fallen, just lay there. As you lay, simply think of how stupid you are and how your stupidity got you there.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #77
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I felt kind of bad for Matthews. It's like someone told him Santa didn't exist.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #78
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

LOL!

Right?!? He's totally crushed as hell.

Once you've fallen, just lay there. As you lay, simply think of how stupid you are and how your stupidity got you there.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:46 AM   #79
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

I just can't stand Obama's speaking style. It's filled with tons of breaks and pauses and it takes him forever to get to any point he's trying to make. I end up loosing interest half way through his sentences. All Romney had to do was be coherent and and seem alert.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 10-09-2012, 02:20 AM   #80
Fading
>:(

The news has been playing clips of Romney's "Big" foreign policy speech, and it's another link in the chain on how awful a president Romney would make. Not that Obama's been great on the economy, but Romney is just downright terrible.

He said he'd majorly increase defense spending more or less. Less drones, and to make up for that he'd build more submarines and naval ships each month than usual, and send in more ground troops. That we pulled out of Iraq too quickly and abruptly. Basically a Romney presidency would see defense spending go into the stratosphere based on his statements, which he'll most likely deny the first time he's questioned on it.

So, 20% tax cuts across the board. Which equals 4.8 trillion over the next 10 years. Trillions in extra defense spending. However it's all ok because the cuts to Social Security, Medicare, Medicade, PBS, and unspecified loop hole closings will magically cover the additional 6+ trillion (that we know of) his plan adds to our debt. Of course this spending is so awesome for our economy we don't need to know the specifics of why and how it works, and why all the economists are wrong on his numbers, until after we elect him.

I'm not saying Obama is doing a great job, but I honestly think a Romney presidency will crush the middle class (which is the same thing he said the Obama presidency is doing now). It really is a plan founded on creating uneeded extra spending, and dumping the burden on the middle class, and poor, while benefitting the rich. Now imagine a Romney presidency taking these plans to a Tea party Republican majorty Senate.

Last edited by Fading; 10-09-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:22 AM   #81
Fading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
I felt kind of bad for Matthews. It's like someone told him Santa didn't exist.
LMFAO, now that you've said that...it's stuck in my mind. Seeing Matthews throwing a tantrum, screaming, and crying because Obama is human after all. Who knew his political version of finding coal in a stocking was Obama losing a debate.

Last edited by Fading; 10-09-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:37 AM   #82
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadingCB View Post
He said he'd majorly increase defense spending more or less.
I never get this, nothing annoys me more then people who claim to be fiscal conservatives but want to increase defense spending. In all honesty I expect it out of Mitt, but Paul Ryan is one that comes across extremely phoney

I calculated how much the Us spent on defense since 1980 and it's like 14.2T, doesn't anybody see a problem with that

Old 10-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #83
Fading

BTW, just in case before, someone asks for quotes.

http://www.firstpost.com/world/romne...cy-483781.html

Quote:
In the Middle East, Romney promised to tighten the screws over Iran’s nuclear program; boost the U.S. naval presence in the region; build more ships and appoint one official to oversee U.S. aid efforts so that U.S. values and interests were upheld.

The Republican challenger also promised to restore a permanent U.S. aircraft carrier presence to both the Eastern Mediterranean and the Gulf – a U.S. aircraft carrier task force now usually rotates through the Gulf region – and to build 15 new ships per year, including three submarines, but did not say how he would pay for them.
Couple that with his debate line about Obama wanting to cut defense spending, and it paints a clearer picture. There's more, but given that he just did it today, I couldn't find a manuscript of the speech. His main attacks on Obama were to agree with Obama policy, back Isreal, no nukes for Iran, ect. Sometimes I think the guy doesn't think things through before he says them, lol.

Back to his plan though. It's basically dramatically increase our naval ship budget. "Tighten the screws" on US interestests in the middle east by having heavier infulence (which probably means more feet on the ground for presence). It's basically going back to that Republican narrative of big defense spending, only we can keep you safe, and anyone who says otherwise is unpatriotic! Is this really the time to increases our defense budget more? Shouldn't we be talking about decreasing the bloated budget? It's not like cutting 10% would mean our troops wouldn't have khevlar...

Edit - 1 air craft carrier costs 6 billion + to make. 15 x that = 90 billion +. 4 or so billion per sub, x3 = 12 billion. So we're over 1/10 of a trillion just on the new ships alone. That doesn't count the cost of keeping a permanant crew in those waters. Which would include, food, salaries, missiles, fuel, ect. This also doesn't include our current military budget, or the cost of the extra presence in the Middle East he proposes.

Last edited by Fading; 10-09-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:09 AM   #84
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
BTW, just in case before someone asks for quotes.

http://www.firstpost.com/world/romne...cy-483781.html

Quote:
In the Middle East, Romney promised to tighten the screws over Iran’s nuclear program; boost the U.S. naval presence in the region; build more ships and appoint one official to oversee U.S. aid efforts so that U.S. values and interests were upheld.

The Republican challenger also promised to restore a permanent U.S. aircraft carrier presence to both the Eastern Mediterranean and the Gulf – a U.S. aircraft carrier task force now usually rotates through the Gulf region – and to build 15 new ships per year, including three submarines, but did not say how he would pay for them.
Uh, unless I missed something and the Middle East became a part of the Union it isn't our place to make these people uphold our values and interests. I wish the people would just tell us to **** off, and we would actually **** off. We aren't the moral police of the world. If they came here and enforced their values and interests I'd engage in guerilla warfare until either I was dead or they were dead or leaving. It amazes me that congress has this shocked reaction when they act the same.

I'm fine with going after our enemies, but what the civillians do is their business and their interest and values are their own. As long as it isn't aiding the enemy I don't care what they do.

IDK maybe I'm reading that wrong, and he meant something else.

H.E.

Last edited by Marvolo; 10-09-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:30 AM   #85
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Back to his plan though. It's basically dramatically increase our naval ship budget. "Tighten the screws" on US interestests in the middle east by having heavier infulence (which probably means more feet on the ground for presence). It's basically going back to that Republican narrative of big defense spending, only we can keep you safe, and anyone who says otherwise is unpatriotic! Is this really the time to increases our defense budget more? Shouldn't we be talking about decreasing the bloated budget? It's not like cutting 10% would mean our troops wouldn't have khevlar...
While I think their is more to it then just one thing I look at any great empire throughout history, and one common thing I see is they have overbloated militaries just before they take a fall.

I think Ron Paul put it best at one of the debates. basically he said people in the middle east don't hate us because of our freedoms, they hate us because for the last 50+ years we have gone there and manipulated their countries for our own will. It was sort of funny watching the looks he got from some other people on stage

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by SV Fan; 10-09-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:37 AM   #86
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
While I think their is more to it then just one thing I look at any great empire throughout history, and one common thing I see is they have overbloated militaries just before they take a fall.

I think Ron Paul put it best at one of the debates. basically he said people in the middle east don't hate us because of our freedoms, they hate us because for the last 50+ years we have gone there and manipulated their countries for our own will. It was sort of funny watching the looks he got from some other people on stage
Roman Empire being a prime example. It collapsed under its own weight and corruption. The American government needs to abandon this "too big to fail" mentality along with their "God on our side" mentality. No god is going to bring itself down here to stop us running this country into the ground, and big can and most certainly will fail.

H.E.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #87
Nitehawk013
Banned User

Constitutionally, national defense is one of the things the Fed actually IS supposed to provide. So yeah...we should spend more on defense than other programs. There's no EPA or NEA in our constitution, but there is a mandate for a military.

I'd argue that there clearly is waste, but there are also places where more funding should be going. Our troops should be getting paid a heck of a lot more than they do. And they ought to get better benefits back home as well.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #88
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehawk013 View Post
Constitutionally, national defense is one of the things the Fed actually IS supposed to provide. So yeah...we should spend more on defense than other programs. There's no EPA or NEA in our constitution, but there is a mandate for a military.

I'd argue that there clearly is waste, but there are also places where more funding should be going. Our troops should be getting paid a heck of a lot more than they do. And they ought to get better benefits back home as well.
I don't think they should cut defense spending in half but how about hey let's cut it 10% by trying to find wasteful ways of spending(which I am guessing is very easy since there is alot of military contractors who are way overpaid)

Old 10-09-2012, 06:46 AM   #89
Nitehawk013
Banned User

I could cut it more than that just by getting rid of regulations that mandate that when contracts are bid, preferential treatment is given to women owned and minority owned businesses that often end up being a couple people in a garage who make the lowest bid, but then also provide the shoddiest work. And that when goods are purchased, contractors are pressed to purchase from businesses owned by women or minorities. Considering I work on a Gov contract, I can tell you I have to spend much more to buy from those businesses than I would buying from the larger, well known places.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #90
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

I'm ex-Navy and I can tell you about all kinds of waste. Every division gets a budget and if they haven't spent that budget by the end of the year they will buy anything and everything they don't even need so that their budget doesn't get cut.

All the trash that is supposed to be compacted and processed is just thrown overboard at night and its not just food. I was personally ordered to dump paint and other toxins that we used in deck so that it wouldn't take up space for when we got more of it.

Lots of messed up stuff go down in the military and I served on two ships so I know its par for the course in the Navy. I know most of the military does things their own way just because they can.

ps4 psn: djKiddVicious
Old 10-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #91
Nitehawk013
Banned User

Yep. We have the "buy down" money at the end of the FY as well. Spend it or lose it is the mantra.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #92
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs View Post
I'm ex-Navy and I can tell you about all kinds of waste. Every division gets a budget and if they haven't spent that budget by the end of the year they will buy anything and everything they don't even need so that their budget doesn't get cut.

All the trash that is supposed to be compacted and processed is just thrown overboard at night and its not just food. I was personally ordered to dump paint and other toxins that we used in deck so that it wouldn't take up space for when we got more of it.

Lots of messed up stuff go down in the military and I served on two ships so I know its par for the course in the Navy. I know most of the military does things their own way just because they can.
I remember reading a story about Halliburton, how they got a contract that basically pays them $100 every load of laundry they do. They did such a crappy job that people would start doing it themself but those people were told they have to take it to halliburton or else. Honestly they can't find somebody to do laundry though at half that price?

Old 10-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #93
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Having worked on numerous military bases as a vendor, I will strongly attest to the troops being severely underpaid. Romney wants to put a few more billion into the defense budget? Put it in the pockets of the troops! Put it into their benefits! Hell, maintain the equipment we already have before you build new stuff!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #94
chaseter
Bland User

Our troops are under serviced on duty and when they return home.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #95
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
I remember reading a story about Halliburton, how they got a contract that basically pays them $100 every load of laundry they do. They did such a crappy job that people would start doing it themself but those people were told they have to take it to halliburton or else. Honestly they can't find somebody to do laundry though at half that price?
Most of the agencies that the government controls overpays for things...Education is one of the worst. The fact that I HAVE TO GO to certain vendors, to buy school supplies rather than going to a place where I know could save my department money is just a small way....multiply that by 1,000s of districts, and that is a lot of money wasted...

Old 10-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #96
chaseter
Bland User

And some people want more government!

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #97
Nitehawk013
Banned User

Yup. every Fed group overspends like crazy to provide anything...and yet Obama and co. expect us to believe that Obamacare will magically be the exact opposite and make healthcare cheaper. LOL.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #98
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Well my mom has lupus and had a very rough life when I was growing up and couldn't get insurance because it was a pre-existing condition. Obamacare will put everyone on a level playing gripe and will reduce the cost by billions because people won't rack up hundreds of thousands that will never be payer by anyone.

ps4 psn: djKiddVicious
Old 10-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #99
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Agreed. I am so annoyed with Chris Matthews and others on MSNBC whining about Obama's debate. It's like...they're shattered by the realization that Golden Boy Obama is...>gasp!< HUMAN and fallible!!
Lol. Well Matthews has always been all over the place politically speaking. He was one of the people leading the charge to impeach and remove Clinton during Monica- Gate, he was one of GW Bush's biggest supporters during the Iraq war and only started to turn when the public did, he was very anti-Hillary during the 2008 primaries, then he revealed his man crush to Obama.

Other's like Shultz did more damage to by talking down Obama for a week like crazed banshees, then Romney did in one debate did imo.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #100
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Most of the agencies that the government controls overpays for things...Education is one of the worst. The fact that I HAVE TO GO to certain vendors, to buy school supplies rather than going to a place where I know could save my department money is just a small way....multiply that by 1,000s of districts, and that is a lot of money wasted...
I agree but I see the problem as a bit different than you do. I'll take school lunches. In florida schools were required to have OJ out for breakfast. They were then required to throw away any OJ not taken and restock fresh. The reason? Because of a law by citrus grows that was put in to escalate a very lucrative sales point for them. I see most gov. waste as being made by lobbyists and politicians trying to help out private companies and businesses.

I don't like how schools are run but it certainly isn't just gov. making bad calls some of those calls are made for them by those examples of running things right, private businesses.

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
Closed Thread