Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #751
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
How strong are Klingons? I always got the sense that they're superhumanly strong.
Like any of the alien races in Star Trek that supposedly are stronger than humans (Klingons, Romulans, Vulcans) their super strength appears and disappears when it suits the plot.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #752
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
Its the same reason a lot of people don't like DS9.
Hmmm I would not say a lot. At first yes. But actually DS9 has grown in popularity as the years has passed. Ron D. Moore thought it was his best Trek work over TNG. Though I prefer TNG first and foremost DS9 has gained more in popularity as the years have passed.

Many at the time did not like it because of it's dealings with (War, spirituality, and the more negative aspects of the Federation like Section 31). However, it really just showed a more war torn area and did show another side of the galaxy in a sense.

I adore TNG, TOS, and DS9 and I put them in that order. The ones I did not care for were Voyager and Enterprise.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #753
Eros
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Like any of the alien races in Star Trek that supposedly are stronger than humans (Klingons, Romulans, Vulcans) their super strength appears and disappears when it suits the plot.
vulcans were said to be 3 times stronger then humans in DS9 [i assume romulans as well]. Klingons were believed to stronger then humans, but was never seen on screen, they were shown to be tougher and bigger though.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #754
Eros
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Hmmm I would not say a lot. At first yes. But actually DS9 has grown in popularity as the years has passed. Ron D. Moore thought it was his best Trek work over TNG. Though I prefer TNG first and foremost DS9 has gained more in popularity as the years have passed.

Many at the time did not like it because of it's dealings with (War, spirituality, and the more negative aspects of the Federation like Section 31). However, it really just showed a more war torn area and did show another side of the galaxy in a sense.

I adore TNG, TOS, and DS9 and I put them in that order. The ones I did not care for were Voyager and Enterprise.
I found TNG to be much below DS9, only because it dealt with much more deeper themes.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #755
DarkKnight88
Side-Kick

The only Star Trek known by the general public at large are the original series and Next Generation. DS9, Voyager, Enterprise are all niche series. There was never any chance that they would be continued on the big screen.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #756
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
What happens if Bendict is not Khan but other members of his crew from 'Space Seed'? Like Joachin?

http://t.co/ycKeizBl
I must be the only one likes this theory..

Old 12-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #757
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Not a big Trek fan here, only ones I ever liked were First Contact and the last movie, but this looks superb, the scale, stakes and action all look like they have stepped up a notch which is the least expected of a sequel, but this looks to have really good character interactions too, and we know from last time the cast are very good.

I personally cant wait to see this.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 12-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #758
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

I think this looks amazing and I'm certain I will fully enjoy it. I loved the first one. This is the only Trek I've ever been able to get into, unfortunately.

Glad to see Bruce Greenwood is back in this. I still think Pike should get a spin-off show.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 12-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #759
protocida
Side-Kick

I'm pretty certain the villain is Gary Mitchell.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #760
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Quote:
Peter Weller is secret Khan!

Old 12-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #761
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Who the hell is Weller playing?

Early reports had him listed as a sort of business man, which doesn't really make sense in Star Trek unless he's a Ferengi.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #762
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Mudd?

Old 12-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #763
protocida
Side-Kick

Garth of Izaar, perhaps? Mitchell's "mentor"? They have similar ideologies.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #764
Farren
Side Kicker

Quote:
I like it too. I still think there's a chance we are looking at a Khan/some variation of Space Seed here.

The revenge angle makes me suspect otherwise though. I get a vibe that it's Starfleet that's the target here, and I don't see Khan or his posse going that route, unless this timeline makes a better connection between Khan and Starfleet.

I know Gary Mitchell seems to have become a new favorite frontrunner, but I'm not convinced.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #765
protocida
Side-Kick

Interesting theory I've read.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
After the attack on San Francisco and the total destruction of Vulcan, the Federation plans on holding a memorial ceremony for the dead in the coming weeks. Nearing the end of it's patrol along the neutral zone between the Federation and Klingon border, the Enterprise is notified of a distress beacon requesting Federation aid just within the Klingon border. The brash, young Captain Kirk orders the Enterprise to pass through the border and aid whoever it is that might need help.

The Enterprise begins orbiting the planet where the beacon is sending it's transmission from. Being the adventurous sort, Kirk beams down with the Away team and finds themselves among the ruins of an ancient Klingon city. There is a sense of tension in the air as the longer they linger, the longer they risk being found.

They quickly begin searching for the beacon when suddenly they become under attack. Masked Klingon soldiers begin firing upon the team who quickly bunker down. Simultaneously two Klingon Warbirds decloak and begin attacking the Enterprise.

The Enterprise is forced to break off from it's orbit and engage the attackers, leaving the Away Team unenforced. Things quickly grow grim for Kirk as they find themselves surrounded, when suddenly a hooded man emerges and begins to turn the tide of the skirmish.

With his aid they quickly dispatch with the rest of the Klingons and the Enterprise is able to beam the team away to safety. The man who they owe their lives is a Federation Lieutenant Commander Gary Mitchell. He claims to have been taken captive by the Klingons some time and managed to escape in a hijacked Warbird. Immediately the crew becomes suspicious of Mitchell's story. After all, how could one man hijack and captain a Klingon Warbird?

Despite some uneasiness the crew plots a course to return to Earth immediately. They return a few days before the ceremony that is set to memorialize those lost in the battles with Nero. Starfleet Command thanks Kirk for saving Mitchell, but when Kirk asks what Mitchell was doing in the first place they say they can't tell him.

From there things quickly begin to spiral out of control with an attack on Starfleet Command and a simultaneous destruction of the fleet in orbit around Earth. The perpetrators are suspected to be Klingon agents, but Kirk is not so sure. Especially not when Mitchell keeps showing up and interfering with his command.

As it turns out, Mitchell al Section 31 operative that got caught by the Klingons. Enraged that he didn't get rescued, he decides to carry out a false flag attack on the Federation so they will go to war with the "true" enemy of the Federation. It falls upon Kirk the responsability to prevent Mitchell's plan from suceeding and leading to a war that might spiral through the galaxy, leaving the Universe in complete turmoil.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #766
childeroland
Side-Kick

That might be as good as (or better than) how the movie turns out.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.
Heigo Kurosawa, Akira's brother

Last edited by childeroland; 12-06-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #767
Farren
Side Kicker

I like it

Old 12-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #768
Binker
Side-Kick

I think I noticed the trailer's "cut point" because the music buildup is slow, then out of nowhere picks up faster.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #769
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by protocida View Post
I'm pretty certain the villain is Gary Mitchell.
Now that's a great villain name.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #770
godisawesome
Side-Kick

Y'know, if it weren't for the laser deflection, I'd feel that Mitchell wasn't actually a front runner. Maybe it's a deflection shield or something? And if someone here feels that it couldn't be Kahn, I have to ask how you'd take it if it was.

-C.S. Lewis
Old 12-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #771
Octoberist
point blank

Devin Faraci and El May (Latino Review) have sources that claims its Khan though Devin is not absolute on it. If its a ploy by their sources, I think its possible JJ asked everyone in the crew to refer Benedict's character as "Khan" on set even if he's not Khan. Like 'Blue Harvest' to a whole new level. Maybe documents could would include fake 'khan' too.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #772
Superhero 101
DESI

Just saw the teaser and looks really good

Old 12-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #773
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
Y'know, if it weren't for the laser deflection, I'd feel that Mitchell wasn't actually a front runner. Maybe it's a deflection shield or something? And if someone here feels that it couldn't be Kahn, I have to ask how you'd take it if it was.
For some reason I don't see a deflection. Just him shooting his gun before he lands.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #774
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
I noticed that with Worf.

But I figured maybe this new series would try to be a bit more consistent.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #775
Binker
Side-Kick

Don't know how much of this was posted:
http://i.imgur.com/G033d.jpg

Closed Thread