Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #951
Kirindal
Side-Kick

Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Well, let's brainstorm a bit here. Other than Khan, Gary and Garth, are there any other good revenge-fueled villains from the old TV show that we're forgetting?
Well there's always Garth of Izar. Mentally unhinged Starfleet captain after getting his ability of genetic manipulation.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #952
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I hope it isn't Khan. Just because I don't think the new series should run parallel with the old one - I'd rather see new stories than new takes on old stories.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
H.E.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #953
Silvermoth
Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I hope it isn't Khan. Just because I don't think the new series should run parallel with the old one - I'd rather see new stories than new takes on old stories.
Yeah I agree with that. I even think Star Trek 3 should have an entirely new villain/characters. If you can't add to the mythology you're not rebooting right I think.

Take the modern version of Doctor Who. It not only modernised the concept but it also added three new Doctors, new companions and new, and now iconic, villains such as the Weeping Angels. That's how you do it.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #954
TheComicbookKid
Coulda Woulda Shoulda

I am I the only one who noticed how little we see of anyone in their classic colored uniforms in the trailer?

Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #955
godisawesome
Side-Kick

Okay, I've got a theory that this movie's going to reverse many of the previous themes and tropes from the olde series:

Whether the bad-guy's Gary Mitchell, Khan Noonien Singh, or Bob from Accounting, it seems likely his beef is more with Star Fleet than Kirk or the Enterprise-thus the black shirt of Star Fleet and the ominous threat seeemingly targetted at a mourning Federation. Now, we all know one of the main themes of Wrath of Khan was Khan's Ahab-like obsession with Kirk. Perhaps this time, Kirk is the one dangerously obsessed with hunting his enemy down.

The hands on the glass scene seems like a straight up homage to the end of Wrath of Khan, but I can't be the only one who thinks it looks like Spock is the one in safety trying to comfort a dying friend. Maybe their going to tease the death of Kirk?

-C.S. Lewis
Old 12-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #956
TheComicbookKid
Coulda Woulda Shoulda

Quote:
Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
The hands on the glass scene seems like a straight up homage to the end of Wrath of Khan, but I can't be the only one who thinks it looks like Spock is the one in safety trying to comfort a dying friend. Maybe their going to tease the death of Kirk?
It's probably Cumberbatch's character that's going to die and then resurrect and kick some butt for whatever happened.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #957
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
I am I the only one who noticed how little we see of anyone in their classic colored uniforms in the trailer?
Well much of the footage they are in their dress uniforms after a funeral or memorial service of some kind and then when they're on the planet or whatever they're wearing away-team raincoats. In the few set pic that have leaked out, Spock was shown to be wearing his blue shirt under the grey/black hexagonal jacket.

It all contributes to a lack of color as far as the marketing is concerned though.

Last edited by redhawk23; 12-07-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #958
Pondslider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight88 View Post
Not in this case, no.
Meh. Five has some ok character moments, and I do enjoy the "What does God need with a starship." scene at the end. Nemesis is irredeemable.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #959
Smegger56
The Smegginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
Okay, I've got a theory that this movie's going to reverse many of the previous themes and tropes from the olde series:

Whether the bad-guy's Gary Mitchell, Khan Noonien Singh, or Bob from Accounting, it seems likely his beef is more with Star Fleet than Kirk or the Enterprise-thus the black shirt of Star Fleet and the ominous threat seeemingly targetted at a mourning Federation. Now, we all know one of the main themes of Wrath of Khan was Khan's Ahab-like obsession with Kirk. Perhaps this time, Kirk is the one dangerously obsessed with hunting his enemy down.

I like that. I'm just going of this one bit with no real context, but on the trailer at exactly 46 seconds, Kirk looks royally pissed and intense. It would be great if we saw that from Kirk, having that burning obsession.

Also, with the whole 'touching the glass' bit from the japanese trailer, it looks more like Spock is safe and is comforting someone else. Just the way the 'non spock' hand is placed and spocks hand approaches. It could very well be Kirk.

Killing kirk off in the sequel? I'm all for a Kirk death if done right (looking at you Generations ) but to do it in only the second one? They would have to bring him back in the third. How? Well, all guess work with no real context. Yay for speculation

---

Also, on a side note, just a little something I threw together for my facebook cover pic. Not bad for a 5 miute jobby (if I do say so myself)

Last edited by Smegger56; 12-08-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #960
roach
I am the night

I think the villain 'dies' in the beginning because of exposure to whatever gives him super powers and he rises to get revenge on the Federation. The scene with the glass might be from the death scene and the funeral we see in the trailer is for him.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 12-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #961
vanson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
I think the villain 'dies' in the beginning because of exposure to whatever gives him super powers and he rises to get revenge on the Federation. The scene with the glass might be from the death scene and the funeral we see in the trailer is for him.
i like that one

an wether it is that or something else, i think the glass scene will be a variation on the known scene..

Old 12-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #962
Rowsdower!
Infinity and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smegger56 View Post
I like that. I'm just going of this one bit with no real context, but on the trailer at exactly 46 seconds, Kirk looks royally pissed and intense. It would be great if we saw that from Kirk, having that burning obsession.

Also, with the whole 'touching the glass' bit from the japanese trailer, it looks more like Spock is safe and is comforting someone else. Just the way the 'non spock' hand is placed and spocks hand approaches. It could very well be Kirk.

Killing kirk off in the sequel? I'm all for a Kirk death if done right (looking at you Generations ) but to do it in only the second one? They would have to bring him back in the third. How? Well, all guess work with no real context. Yay for speculation

---

Also, on a side note, just a little something I threw together for my facebook cover pic. Not bad for a 5 miute jobby (if I do say so myself)

You're clearly ripping off the poster for The Dark Knight Rises.

Jensen Ackles for Convenience Store Clerk #2
Old 12-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #963
Smegger56
The Smegginator

Quote:
You're clearly ripping off the poster for The Dark Knight Rises.

I'm only ripping off something awesome. What's wrong with that

Old 12-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #964
Rowsdower!
Infinity and beyond

Haha, nothing at all.

So I just re-watched "Where No Man has Gone Before." I guess it's pretty easy to make the argument for or against Cumberbatch being Gary Mitchell. Ditto for Alice Eve being Dehner. On one hand, the powers Gary displays could be similar to what we're seeing here with this new villain. And the whole revenge angle could be due to Kirk (or someone else) leaving him for dead on a barren planet, like Gary. The whole "Into Darkness" thing also plays into where they were when Gary got his powers.

However, other things lead me to believe it's not him... the English accent being the key thing. It's difficult to see how anything that might have transpired after Nero entered the timeline could have led to Gary's nationality presumably changing. Additionally, we don't see Benedict's eyes lighting up or anything like that. Of course, this is all contingent on the idea that JJ Abrams is trying to stick really close to the original series.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #965
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

What if the character replaces Gary Mitchell without being Gary Mitchell? What if the character is a different crew member with a different name, who in this timeline is the one affected by the galactic barrier rather than Mitchell?

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
H.E.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #966
Rowsdower!
Infinity and beyond

Yeah, that certainly seems like a possibility. It's not like that many people outside of diehard Trekkies even know who Mitchell is.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #967
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

The writers have stated that the current comic book taking place in this universe is canon. So either this is Gary Mitchell returning from the dead, or a completely unrelated event. I really don't think Khan will be anywhere near this.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #968
Rowsdower!
Infinity and beyond

Oh, I forgot about the comic. How does Gary's story fit in there?

Old 12-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #969
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Quote:
Oh, I forgot about the comic. How does Gary's story fit in there?
It's mostly a direct adaption of the original series episode. I believe it was the first arc of the comic series.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #970
Lord
All Mighty

If Gary Mitchell's the villain then i wouldn't mind that arc becoming non-canon

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 12-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #971
The Guard
Side-Kick

Does it bother anyone that we're getting yet another "revenge-driven" villain?

I mean, I get that it's a pretty popular story, but that's pretty much all that drove Nero. Hopefully Cumberbatch's villain will have a bit more to him than just wanting vengeance. Some kind of political layer to it, at least.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 12-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #972
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Does it bother anyone that we're getting yet another "revenge-driven" villain?

I mean, I get that it's a pretty popular story, but that's pretty much all that drove Nero. Hopefully Cumberbatch's villain will have a bit more to him than just wanting vengeance.
Now that you mention it, maybe the new villain (if he's mitchell) has become mad because of his powers or something like that like he originally did in the original series

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 12-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #973
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
What if the character is a different crew member with a different name, who in this timeline is the one affected by the galactic barrier rather than Mitchell?
Pink Ranger's insane theory of the day: Khan gets revived by Gorn/Klingons, and he gets affected by the galactic barrier.

~H.E.~
Old 12-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #974
J.Howlett

Based on Devin Faraci's tweets of seeing the full trailer at BNAT (that debuts with the Hobbit this coming Friday), he's thinking it's Sybock now...even without the ears.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #975
jmc
callin' it like I see it

I like the fact who the villain is is still up in the air. I like the mystery.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Closed Thread