The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 12:18 AM   #76
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Default Re: Star Trek Sequel - Part 2

First Trailer for STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Will Be Attached to Non-IMAX Screenings of THE HOBBIT

Quote:
Just yesterday Paramount announced that a special preview of the first nine minutes of J.J. Abramsí sequel Star Trek Into Darkness will exclusively be playing in 3D in front of IMAX showings of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey on December 14th. I surmised at the time that the first proper trailer for the follow-up would likely be unveiled in front of Jack Reacher the following weekend, but it appears we wonít have to wait that long. The first trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness will be attached to non-IMAX showings of The Hobbit.

TrekMovie broke the news of the trailer launch, and the story was subsequently tweeted by Darkness scribe Damon Lindelof, thus confirming its veracity. The trailer will not be playing in the IMAX screenings of The Hobbit and the nine-minute preview wonít be released online, so hardcore Trekkies will have to spring for two showings of The Hobbit if they want to soak in all the Star Trek goodness ASAP. Or they could just wait for the trailer to land online the following week.

The report notes that the trailer wonít just be a mash-up of footage from the prologue preview and will instead include footage from throughout the film, though I wouldnít expect anything too revealing given that this is still a J.J. Abrams film. Moreover, the trailer is said to be a legitimate theatrical trailer and not just a short teaser. Star Trek Into Darkness opens in 3D on May 17, 2013.

Source
Original Source

Old 11-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #77
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now

Sweet news can't wait to see the trailer.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:27 AM   #78
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Now that's more like it Marvolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush View Post
I think Warner Bros are doing this to scratch the back of Paramount and even things out. Before MI:4 we had TDKR and now Paramount is saying "your turn!". Makes sense to me.

Either way I'm really excited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Yeah, or it was part of their deal in the first place that both studios would get a go at this kind of promo within a certain time frame, so they were obligated to.
I thought the initial favour was by WB as it gave added interest to MI:GP, but you guys could be right.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 11-16-2012, 12:29 AM   #79
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Its gonna be even harder waiting for the Hobbit. And I hear that there will be a new Man of Steel trailer and a trailer for Pacific Rim! Gonna be a great time.

H.E.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:16 AM   #80
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Screw tom hanks. Wilson was the real victim.
Wilson got what he deserved. Never trust anyone that smiles too much and says very llittle...

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
Old 11-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #81
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post

I thought the initial favour was by WB as it gave added interest to MI:GP, but you guys could be right.
Well the initial favor was by Paramount because the TDKR footage came with the IMAX prints of that I thought.

Avvy by Hunter Rider

H.E.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #82
John McGuirk
Soccer Coach

Official synopsis:

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-i...actic-manhunt/

Quote:
In Summer 2013, pioneering director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takes Star Trek Into Darkness. When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.

With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction. As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

Why did that get no reaction?"
Old 11-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #83
Solidus
The Force Awakens

Very nice. Finally hearing stuff about this. Got my season 2 of TNG on blu-ray pre-ordered finally will get that next week, and a trailer/new footage of STID.

Also I'm assuming with that Gary Mitchell is not the villain like many speculated? Unless the alter his story.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #84
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

So the fleet is destroyed again?

Old 11-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #85
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Which friendships torn apart? Not Kirk and Spock's? Maybe it will be Kirk and Gary Mitchell's? He would fit everything in that description.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #86
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Very nice. Finally hearing stuff about this. Got my season 2 of TNG on blu-ray pre-ordered finally will get that next week, and a trailer/new footage of STID.

Also I'm assuming with that Gary Mitchell is not the villain like many speculated? Unless the alter his story.
Some still think it is Gary Mitchell.

Quote:
It also in a way hints that the villain in the sequel is Gary Mitchell, as previously revealed by Karl Urban. The phrase, "A personal score to settle" and a "a one man weapon of mass destruction"are a couple little tip offs. In the original series Mitchell is a friend of Captain Kirk, and a Starfleet officer on the U.S.S. Enterprise. He ends up with powerful telekinetic powers, and turns against Kirk and his crew.

H.E.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #87
Solidus
The Force Awakens

I misread that, the "one man weapon" thing it would have to be Mitchell. Also like you said the friendship will be broken. Interesting.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:11 AM   #88
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "taking the battle home" type of angle. Something I've always loved about Star Trek is that the crew is boldly going where no one has gone before. I want cool space adventure, brave new worlds and civilizations, that sort of stuff.

Still, I'm confident JJ and team will deliver a pretty awesome story.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #89
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Im somewhat weary of the fleet being destroyed. I mean Nero just did it. Hopefully it was meant figuratively. It is just a synopsis, after all.

I want to see the entire fleet engaged in a huge battle at some point.

Last edited by Marvolo; 11-27-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #90
Solidus
The Force Awakens

It would be kinda cool to see a Dominion style full out war. But to me I think them going to a "war-zone world" may not be Earth, but somewhere else? I dunno. Hard to tell from such a small blip of info. But I guess after reading that it probably is Mitchell.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #91
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Does that mean the rest of Kirk's family gets killed?

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Heís much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Heís Everyman operating on a sciĖfi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 11-27-2012, 02:18 AM   #92
Octoberist
point blank

The villain is Joker's and Raoul Silva's son: Jokey Silva.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:36 AM   #93
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

No one is going to want to join Starfleet anymore .

- CM Punk
Old 11-27-2012, 04:17 AM   #94
Octoberist
point blank

The synopsis was awkwardly written wasn't it?

Old 11-27-2012, 04:41 AM   #95
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
The synopsis was awkwardly written wasn't it?
JJ Abrams: "Must be more vague!!!"

H.E.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #96
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

There are some which still Klingon to the hope that the villain is going to be Khan. All because Benecio Del Toro was offered a role way back when...

If an already established character is going to be used as a protagonist then it is far more likely to be Gary Mitchell than Khan. Especially given the vague synopsis we now have!

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
Old 11-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #97
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Yeah, there's no friendships to be broken with Khan, unless they changed his backstory and made him friends with Kirk, like Clark and Lex in Smallville.

Everything more or less fits with Gary Mitchell in the description:

back home - an earth-based antagonist
unstoppable force of terror - Mitchell became a god-like being with immense telekinetic powers
from within their own organization - Mitchell is a member of Starfleet
a personal score to settle - hints at their friendship
one man weapon of mass destruction - again, Mitchell as a god-like being
chess game of life and death - in the original episode it started out with that 3D chess game and that was used as a metaphor
friendships will be torn apart - Kirk and Mitchell's broken friendship
sacrifices must be made - Spock urges Kirk to sacrifice Mitchell - Kirk finally agrees
protecting the crew - which Kirk does have to do against Mitchell

Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #98
bunk
superhero fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Dodds View Post
So the fleet is destroyed again?
Nero actually only destroyed a relatively small number of ships. The primary fleet was in the Laurentian system doing something.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #99
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

I think they mean destroy the foundations of the fleet itself. Not just ships, but Starfleet itself.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #100
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

Having re-read that synopsis again, I find myself thinking about this line;
"to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction"

To me, this does not necessarily mean, a man that is capable of mass destruction. It could be a weapon that is capable of mass destruction that can be wielded by one man.

Anyone agree with that?

Also, there has been no mention of this synopsis on the Paramount site as far as I can determine. Are we sure this is legitimate? Especially given the poor wording... You know, "detonated the fleet"? I think "decimated" would be a better fit there.

Closed Thread