The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #976
The Guard
Side-Kick

Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Quote:
Based on Devin Faraci's tweets of seeing the full trailer at BNAT (that debuts with the Hobbit this coming Friday), he's thinking it's Sybock now...even without the ears.
That would account for some of the skills, and make the shot of Spock and the other hand at the beginning of the trailer make a bit more sense. The trenchcoat he's wearing is vaguely "Vulcan".

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 12-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #977
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I like the fact who the villain is is still up in the air. I like the mystery.
I kinda hate it but I should like it because it is neat that a filmmaker can keep a secret in this day and age.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #978
DarkKnight88
Side-Kick

He only assumes Sybok because apparently in the new trailer the shot of the two hands touching is that of Spock and Cumberbatch. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they're brothers or anything.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #979
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight88 View Post
He only assumes Sybok because apparently in the new trailer the shot of the two hands touching is that of Spock and Cumberbatch. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they're brothers or anything.
True. Still, it would be a nice twist if it, indeed, were Sybock, only because not many picked him to be the villain.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #980
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Spock's cheating on Kirk?

Old 12-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #981
DarkKnight88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
True. Still, it would be a nice twist if it, indeed, were Sybock, only because not many picked him to be the villain.
It'd just be odd to pick the villain from one of the least liked movies. Kind of like if for the rebooted Superman the villain for the next film was Nuclear Man.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #982
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Star Trek V... odd one to take inspiration from to say the least.

I just hope they don't have the Enterprise be the only good ship in the universe (even when it clearly is in no state to go on a mission). I got tired of that quick.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #983
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
That would account for some of the skills, and make the shot of Spock and the other hand at the beginning of the trailer make a bit more sense. The trenchcoat he's wearing is vaguely "Vulcan".
Interesting choice, but I'm still thinking it's Gary Mitchell and that Devin is too stuck on the idea that JJ and team are not willing to violate the comicbook canon.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 12-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #984
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Has everyone seen the trailer yet?

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #985
J.Howlett

Quote:
It'd just be odd to pick the villain from one of the least liked movies. Kind of like if for the rebooted Superman the villain for the next film was Nuclear Man.
Respect Nuclear Man!

Old 12-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #986
Victarion
Cut

Quote:
Nolan did it to cap off his story. So I say bring on Sybok and a revamped Nuclear Man. (NM sounds like he could have potential for a pretty graphic and horrifying story).

I'm just glad he didn't take the easy way and reuse Khan.

“Evil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity – the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, let’s call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.”
Old 12-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #987
J.Howlett

Quote:
I'm just glad he didn't take the easy way and reuse Khan.
We think...

Old 12-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #988
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Star Trek gives you so much to work with, there's really no need to recycle plots and villains.

Granted, that's not necessarily the case here, but fans seems rather fixed on it.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #989
Magneto29
Companion

Don't laugh, but I don't think it's Benedict's hand in the glass cage. Someone did a comparison.
http://itreallyisthelittlethings.tum...is-clearly-not

Old 12-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #990
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now

That's some insane detective skills. Sherlock would be proud.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #991
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Weren't people saying that it was spock and kirks hands anyways? even using that comparison gif of them doing a similar gesture in wrath of khan.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #992
godisawesome
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Does it bother anyone that we're getting yet another "revenge-driven" villain?

I mean, I get that it's a pretty popular story, but that's pretty much all that drove Nero. Hopefully Cumberbatch's villain will have a bit more to him than just wanting vengeance. Some kind of political layer to it, at least.
well, judging from the smug look on his face and the touch of arrogance we hear in his voice, it seems likely this is the revenge of the proud rather than the ravings of a mad-man(Nero).

-C.S. Lewis
Old 12-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #993
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Nero was a lousy villain.

Revenge can work if it's well written. Nero's revenge never made much sense. He was upset because Spock failed to save his world? Well at least he was trying. Not like Spock owed them anything anyway. So, Spock despite his best attempt, fails to save Nero's homeworld. What does Nero do? He ends up back in time, and tries to blow up Vulcan... and then Earth (for some reason). Really, if Nero didn't have the mentality of a petty child, we wouldn't have a movie.

What makes a revenge story interesting is the wronging, and what effect that had on the person wronged. Nero wasn't really wronged, and he was a very shallow character.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #994
Octoberist
point blank

Nero can be seen as a mad man who is completely itrational blinded by his narrow mindedness. Like Captain Ahab.

That being said his character was underwritten. He could've been a sympathetic character
if he was given the chance but ultimately he had a 'villain of the week' vibe. And we know Bana can be kickass.

Luckily the movie had strong protagonists that made the movie work despite the complex setup and a villain who somehow got lost in the plot (even he was the catalyst)

Old 12-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #995
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

The protagonists and great special effects are the only reason the film was good.

Nero was a terrible villain. Like, some villains from Enterprise were better. There, I said it.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:51 PM   #996
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
The protagonists and great special effects are the only reason the film was good.

Nero was a terrible villain. Like, some villains from Enterprise were better. There, I said it.
I wouldn't be that harsh but Nero doesn't resonates, and despite his revenge plot changing the Star Trek timeline (which is a big deal), his character seems so small for an event so biG.

I wish JJ allowed Bana to have more humorous scenes to show off his comedic timing and charisma.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #997
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Why? I don't think I'm being unfair. I mean, I'm not bashing Bana. He just did what they gave him to work with. Which, really, wasn't much.

The only time I found Nero even slightly interesting was when he remarked on Kirk's future. But we got very little of that. He spent most of the movie throwing a Romulan temper tantrum. It made him seem incredibly petty and shortsighted.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #998
Marvolo
Side-Kick

The thing I didnt get is that by going back in time and killing Spock he was dooming the future Romula to the same supernova. If he went back in time and warned them of the future supernova they would have had more time to avert the disaster and save the planet. His plan makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. And even if Nero was a lunatic someone on his crew had to realize the flaw in his logic and because the Narada was a civillian ship mutiny would have been likely when Nero started talking that crazy ****.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 AM   #999
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Well, apparently in the original script, after they blew up Vulcan and Nero went to blow up Earth, his right-hand-dude was against it, and Nero killed him.

Least, that's what I read on a Trek forum.

Destroying Vulcan already didn't make much sense. Nero clearly isn't the kind of guy who thinks things through though.

You really can't analyze this movie too closely, because it really doesn't hold up. But hey, it was fun. So... that makes it better than most Trek films, which have all those plot problems, and aren't half as much fun. It's written by the guys who wrote Michael Bay's magnum opus (Transformers), considering that, it's impressive.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:23 AM   #1000
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Well, apparently in the original script, after they blew up Vulcan and Nero went to blow up Earth, his right-hand-dude was against it, and Nero killed him.

Least, that's what I read on a Trek forum.

Destroying Vulcan already didn't make much sense. Nero clearly isn't the kind of guy who thinks things through though.

You really can't analyze this movie too closely, because it really doesn't hold up. But hey, it was fun. So... that makes it better than most Trek films, which have all those plot problems, and aren't half as much fun. It's written by the guys who wrote Michael Bay's magnum opus (Transformers), considering that, it's impressive.
Yeah, it was a lot of fun.

H.E.
Closed Thread