The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 10-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #76
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun

Default Re: Is "The Dark Knight Rises" as grounded in reality as its predecessors?

It's certainly going to tough to beat the way Two-Face looked in TDK in any future films.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #77
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Default Re: Is "The Dark Knight Rises" as grounded in reality as its predecessors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
Ehhh no a purple clown suit is a costume. Luthor wears regular every days suits you'd see a business man in an office wear. You don't see anyone wear Joker's suits.
I can't speak on the new Joker in today's comics, I'm quite unfamiliar, but the Joker I grew up on didn't wear a "clown" suit like something you would see in the circus, he wore regular clothing. Some of it actually seemed expensive, but you don't see people wearing those combination of things because it's garish, bright & tacky. Just as he likes it

More specifically, as it pertains to Nolan's version, it's just regular clothes for sure, just stuff that he's thrown together that anybody might have in their closet (anyone with bad taste anyway) The Joker's suit isn't anymore a costume than Dent's suit is.

It's not tactical body armor with functional parts for stealth/combat. Or housing different compartments for gadgets or other tech complete with masks to conceal identities like the costumes Bane Catwoman & Batman wear. It's a distinct difference for the trilogy.

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather

Last edited by Doc Samson; 10-24-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #78
Cunning Stunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
Even for that. He was part of a criminal conspiracy for 8 years. You don't get a pardon for that and get to keep your job as the Police Commissioner.
He could very easily testify that Bane ********ted the letter. There is absolutely no proof whatsoever that any of that was true. The only person he admitted anything to was Blake.

Cunning Stunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #79
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunning Stunts View Post
He could very easily testify that Bane ********ted the letter. There is absolutely no proof whatsoever that any of that was true. The only person he admitted anything to was Blake.
Which makes the whole Bane revealing the truth about Dent so stupid to begin with. Gotham had no reason to take Bane's word that he was reading a letter from Gordon. Which also makes your theory look bad, too, because it means that if Gordon does what you say, then he is saying Batman did murder Harvey Dent and all of those other people, too. They still erect a statue to him anyway.

Which ever way you swing it it's bad writing.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #80
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
They all had their comic booky moments.TDK probably most of all,with Dent walking around with a nearly exposed skull.
Well to be fair, if you're going to include Two-Face...

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #81
Cunning Stunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Which makes the whole Bane revealing the truth about Dent so stupid to begin with. Gotham had no reason to take Bane's word that he was reading a letter from Gordon. Which also makes your theory look bad, too, because it means that if Gordon does what you say, then he is saying Batman did murder Harvey Dent and all of those other people, too. They still erect a statue to him anyway.

You just love any chance to take what people say and turn it around to slamming the writing in this movie, don't you?

I'm not arguing that Gotham just taking Bane's word for it is questionable at best, but seriously... These conversations would be more fun without the constant, "BAD WRITING BAD WRITING BAD WRITING!" interjections.

Cunning Stunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #82
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:

IMO Gordon will face this issue after the events of the film, an will tell th truh and face the consequences. This theme of truth and redemption was a huge part of tdkr. What actually is going to happen is not known and is irrelevant to the timeline of the film. Also, how much the people even believe bane is never explored and is of no real consequence. It matters because of how it affects gordon and bruces view of their own lie now that it is out in the open. This isn't bad writing, it is explored from the characters' perspectives.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #83
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
You just love any chance to take what people say and turn it around to slamming the writing in this movie, don't you?
Yes. It's the highlight of my day

Quote:
I'm not arguing that Gotham just taking Bane's word for it is questionable at best
It's more than just questionable at best. Nobody would two brain cells to rub together would take it on good faith that some masked terrorist who blew up half the city, took the city hostage under threat of a nuclear bomb, murdered two football teams, and then released a bunch of murderers, thieves, and rapists is telling the truth that he's reading a letter from the Police Commissioner who is a war hero to the city.

Quote:
but seriously... These conversations would be more fun without the constant, "BAD WRITING BAD WRITING BAD WRITING!" interjections.
I think these conversations would be more fun if you offered a decent rebuttal instead of just throwing a hissy fit for calling a spade a spade.

- The Joker
Old 10-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #84
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
IMO Gordon will face this issue after the events of the film, an will tell th truh and face the consequences.
Thanks for sharing your theory with me. The ending of the movie doesn't make your theory look plausible.

Quote:
This theme of truth and redemption was a huge part of tdkr. What actually is going to happen is not known and is irrelevant to the timeline of the film.
How is it irrelevant? Bruce paid for his lie by being hunted, hated and being a recluse for years. How did Gordon pay for his lie? All he got was a verbal thrashing from Blake.

Quote:
Also, how much the people even believe bane is never explored
Exactly. This revelation about how the city's hope has been built on a lie should have shown how the people of Gotham reacted to their hero Harvey being a fraud.

Nolan made Gotham City a personality by showing the reactions of the people to the dilemmas Gotham faced in the previous two movies. TDKR ignored Gotham's people when they should have had a bigger role than ever in this one.

Quote:
and is of no real consequence.
You must be joking.

Quote:
It matters because of how it affects gordon and bruces view of their own lie now that it is out in the open.
How did it affect Bruce and Gordon when it was revealed? Explain to me what changed for them after it was revealed. Explain to me how it changed Gotham other than releasing a bunch of convicted criminals.

Quote:
This isn't bad writing, it is explored from the characters' perspectives.
So explain to me all the character exploration that came from the Dent lie being exposed.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 10-25-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #85
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 578497033 View Post
All your posts are you crying.
Now who's sock account are you I wonder? Lets have a Mod check you out.

EDIT: Banned already. What a surprise.

- The Joker
Old 10-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #86
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:

I'm not arguing that Gotham just taking Bane's word for it is questionable at best, but seriously... These conversations would be more fun without the constant, "BAD WRITING BAD WRITING BAD WRITING!" interjections.
Agreed.

This guy hates the movie & the majority of his arguments against it consist solely of "Bad writing, bad writing & more bad writing."

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #87
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
Agreed.

This guy hates the movie & the majority of his arguments against it consist solely of "Bad writing, bad writing & more bad writing."
Says the person who got two moderator warnings in a day for having an attitude problem with people disagreeing with you.

Funny.

If you're going to accuse me of something, at least make it a valid accusation. I've addressed every point made, and "bad writing" is just the summation point made.

- The Joker
Old 10-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #88
batbax
Side-Kick

So why do they call him the joker? because Spending all your time in a forum dedicated to a movie you hate four months after its released is a totally sane, logical thing to do. No wonder they call him The joker.

batbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #89
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by batbax View Post
So why do they call him the joker? because Spending all your time in a forum dedicated to a movie you hate four months after its released is a totally sane, logical thing to do. No wonder they call him The joker.
This.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #90
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Personally I still am going with Gordon played a huge role in saving the city by placing the signal jammer and could have easily been pardoned for his past actions. It would send a mixed message for the city to honor Batman but shun Gordon when they both played an equal part in the conspiracy. At the end of TDKR, Gotham is in a period of rebuilding and healing. I think having Gordon reinstated is important in giving Gotham that sense of familiarity and emphasizing its resilience.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #91
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
If you can find one post I've made where I said I hate this movie I'll concede to your point.

The movie is a flawed mess, but I enjoy it for what it is. As a Batman fan, and a fan of the previous two movies, why shouldn't I be here to discuss it?

Is there a sign at the top of the forum that says this a fan club for fans of the movie who find it virtually flawless?

- The Joker
Old 10-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #92
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Personally I still am going with Gordon played a huge role in saving the city by placing the signal jammer and could have easily been pardoned for his actions. It would send a mixed message for the city to honor Batman but shun Gordon when they both played an equal part in the conspiracy. At the end of TDKR, Gotham is in a period of rebuilding and healing. I think having Gordon reinstated is important in giving Gotham that sense of familiarity and emphasizing its resilience.
I ****ing love the 15/70 shot of Gordon's face after the statue is unveiled. Oldman beautifully sells the dread & disappointment Gordon is feeling at that moment.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #93
batbax
Side-Kick

well, hate may have been a tad strong. But to say you apparently have a strong distaste for it wouldnt be a huge leap of logic. And of course theres no sign. Just saying its a bit odd. I know if I dislike something as much as you appear to dislike TDKR it would feel like a huge waste of my time to spend in a place that discusses that thing. But different strokes and all.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #94
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
The movie is a flawed mess
Only in the eyes of message board regulars.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #95
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
well, hate may have been a tad strong. But to say you apparently have a strong distaste for it wouldnt be a huge leap of logic.
You're dead right there. It's a HUGE step down in quality to the previous two movies. It's not a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination. But it's a mess. No question about it.

Quote:
And of course theres no sign. Just saying its a bit odd. I know if I dislike something as much as you appear to dislike TDKR it would feel like a huge waste of my time to spend in a place that discusses that thing. But different strokes and all.
Batman fans enjoy discussing Schumacher's Batman movies and they have virtually no popularity at all.

I can't speak for you, but as a Batman fan I love discussing the good as much as the bad. More often than not the critical discussions can be the most enjoyable.

Now if that bothers you then that's unfortunate. But after having had two stints on probation from arguing with people the way you just did with me by insulting me and my user name, it would be really foolish to get yourself permanently banned for it, batbax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
Only in the eyes of message board regulars.
You must be joking.

Do you I really have to link outside sources to prove you wrong?

- The Joker
Old 10-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #96
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
What I really hated, more than anything, was Oldman's phoned-in performance. The whole movie he was as bad as he was when he drove the Batmobile in the first film. Rather than come off like a grounded character, it felt like the 1960s Gordon, cartoonish-ly barking orders from a hospital bed (and like you point out, why anyone was listening to him after he sent nearly every single officer into the sewers to be trapped).
Yup. Gordon was so off his game in this one. So was Nolan. Easily his worst movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
I can't speak on the new Joker in today's comics, I'm quite unfamiliar, but the Joker I grew up on didn't wear a "clown" suit like something you would see in the circus, he wore regular clothing. Some of it actually seemed expensive, but you don't see people wearing those combination of things because it's garish, bright & tacky. Just as he likes it
He wore a purple suit to look like a clown. Clowns wear brightly colored clothing. You can't look like the Joker or any clowny character without a colored costume.

Quote:
So why did they bother with that dumb scene then if nobody should have believed Bane? Why did they bother have Bane find Gordon's letter. Why have that big speech?

Thanks for proving the script was stupid there.

Quote:

Truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
IMO Gordon will face this issue after the events of the film, an will tell th truh and face the consequences. This theme of truth and redemption was a huge part of tdkr. What actually is going to happen is not known and is irrelevant to the timeline of the film. Also, how much the people even believe bane is never explored and is of no real consequence. It matters because of how it affects gordon and bruces view of their own lie now that it is out in the open. This isn't bad writing, it is explored from the characters' perspectives.
Except they never showed any development from Bruce and Gordon about Dent's villainy coming out. Nobody gave a damn except Blake.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #97
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Personally I still am going with Gordon played a huge role in saving the city by placing the signal jammer and could have easily been pardoned for his past actions. It would send a mixed message for the city to honor Batman but shun Gordon when they both played an equal part in the conspiracy. At the end of TDKR, Gotham is in a period of rebuilding and healing. I think having Gordon reinstated is important in giving Gotham that sense of familiarity and emphasizing its resilience.
Then Catwoman should have got a statue as well. Gordo would have got his walking papers for keeping silent about a criminal conspiracy like that for 8 long years, and letting a law being passed and crooks being locked up all because of fraud.

Too stupid for words that he got to keep his job.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #98
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
You must be joking.

Do you I really have to link outside sources to prove you wrong?
You mean the 38 reviewers on RT that thought it was too dark & depressing? The same people who used the word "clunky" to justify unreasonable quarrels with the film's story? The same 38 people who thought it was too long & not fun enough like The Avengers?

I've read the 38 reviews & I am yet to find a valid one - where the reviewer's problem isn't that the movie didn't play out the way he or she thought it would.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #99
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
It's certainly going to tough to beat the way Two-Face looked in TDK in any future films.
He looked like The Long Halloween Two Face. Perfect since Nolan used that one for inspiration of TDK.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #100
batbax
Side-Kick

Dry Re: Is "The Dark Knight Rises" as grounded in reality as its predecessors?

Quote:
You're dead right there. It's a HUGE step down in quality to the previous two movies. It's not a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination. But it's a mess. No question about it.

Batman fans enjoy discussing Schumacher's Batman movies and they have virtually no popularity at all.

I can't speak for you, but as a Batman fan I love discussing the good as much as the bad. More often than not the critical discussions can be the most enjoyable.

Now if that bothers you then that's unfortunate. But after having had two stints on probation from arguing with people the way you just did with me by insulting me and my user name, it would be really foolish to get yourself permanently banned for it, batbax

Do you I really have to link outside sources to prove you wrong
?

I wasnt aware I was arguing with anyone. I was making a statement..Glad we have the resident mommy figure to keep us in line and let us know when and where our probations took place.doesnt bother me at all. if you want to spend hour after hour discussing something you dislike, have at it chief. Just was adding my opinion fwiw, and i was attempting to be humorous. Forgive me for insulting your....user name.