The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 10-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #101
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: Is "The Dark Knight Rises" as grounded in reality as its predecessors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
You mean the 38 reviewers on RT that thought it was too dark & depressing? The same people who used the word "clunky" to justify unreasonable quarrels with the film's story? The same 38 people who thought it was too long & not fun enough like The Avengers?
No, RT never even crossed my mind. That's the place where the kind of people who see a negative TDKR review get all upset and send death threats to the reviewer. Not that that kind of behavior invalidated the negative reviews in any way.

I'm talking about the likes of these:

http://kotaku.com/5928913/five-spoil...ll-flat-for-me

http://badmouth.net/the-dark-knight-rises/

http://geekgirlsnetwork.com/ggn/2012...ns-worst-film/

There's no shortage of these negative review across the Net. I can link more if you wish. I am rather spoiled for choice.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #102
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: Is "The Dark Knight Rises" as grounded in reality as its predecessors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
Then Catwoman should have got a statue as well. Gordo would have got his walking papers for keeping silent about a criminal conspiracy like that for 8 long years, and letting a law being passed and crooks being locked up all because of fraud.

Too stupid for words that he got to keep his job.
Batman had the deeper history in Gotham, had saved it multiple times in the past and had even taken the fall for crimes he didn't commit in an effort to save it. He had already been an important symbol to Gotham, and he became one again. Catwoman not so much. Plus she didn't sacrifice her life to save it like Batman did. Then she then skipped town. That's not statue material.

Fudgie, unlike The Joker up there, it's pretty clear you truly do hate the movie. You've called it lousy, stupid, every name in the book. As much as I'd like to, it's pretty much impossible to have a true discourse with you because every time you single out one aspect of the movie you find stupid, it's actually a straw man argument...because you seem to think the whole movie is stupid. And if the whole movie is stupid that means you wanted an entirely different movie. That's fine, but it just makes debating seem so futile and pointless.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #103
batbax
Side-Kick

The positive far outweighs the negative. People like to spin it like the movie was some sort of failure. It was critically acclaimed. In fact moreso than some of the movies others around here were hailing prematurely as gods gift to film

batbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #104
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Batman had the deeper history in Gotham, had saved it multiple times in the past and had even taken the fall for crimes he didn't commit in an effort to save it. He had already been an important symbol to Gotham, and he became one again. Catwoman not so much. Plus she didn't sacrifice her life to save it like Batman did. Then she then skipped town. That's not statue material.
Ehhh no Selina stayed behind when she could have escaped, and risked her life on the Bat-Pod blowing up Tumblers and stuff. She helped get to that bomb as much as Gordo and Bats did. She saved Batman's life as well.

Quote:
Fudgie, unlike The Joker up there, it's pretty clear you truly do hate the movie. You've called it lousy, stupid, every name in the book. As much as I'd like to, it's pretty much impossible to have a true discourse with you because every time you single out one aspect of the movie you find stupid, it's actually a straw man argument...because you seem to think the whole movie is stupid. And if the whole movie is stupid that means you wanted an entirely different movie. That's fine, but it just makes debating seem so futile and pointless.
It's cool. You don't have to reply to me. You seem to find everything in the movie flawless and always defend it from everyone who criticizes it.

You ain't the only one who is like that though.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #105
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by batbax View Post
The positive far outweighs the negative. People like to spin it like the movie was some sort of failure. It was critically acclaimed. In fact moreso than some of the movies others around here were hailing prematurely as gods gift to film
The Avengers was critically acclaimed higher than Rises and made more money than it, too.

Guess it's better than it then eh.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #106
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Yeah, also an 8.8 rating on IMDB is actually very impressive considering how divisive the film seems to be. For IMDB ratings, it's the second highest score for a CBM behind TDK's 9.0.

There's a lot of love for the film out there, I just think the negative side is more vocal. Which is fine, and quite frankly, expected.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 10-25-2012 at 01:47 PM.
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #107
batbax
Side-Kick

Quote:
The Avengers was critically acclaimed higher than Rises and made more money than it, too.

That was..pointless. Really had nothing to do with what I was saying. Saying certain people are quick to point to the 30 something negative reviews when there are over 200 positive ones, many of them giving the film 4-5 stars.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #108
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
No, RT never even crossed my mind. That's the place where the kind of people who see a negative TDKR review get all upset and send death threats to the reviewer. Not that that kind of behavior invalidated the negative reviews in any way.

I'm talking about the likes of these:

http://kotaku.com/5928913/five-spoil...ll-flat-for-me

http://badmouth.net/the-dark-knight-rises/

http://geekgirlsnetwork.com/ggn/2012...ns-worst-film/

There's no shortage of these negative review across the Net. I can link more if you wish. I am rather spoiled for choice.
Read the first one.

The guy who wrote it needs to learn how to write.

The Tosh.0 approach is the ******** approach to criticism.

Alfred's scenes in Florence were brilliant. Can't believe the guy craps on them.

Blake's speech to Bruce was the heart of the picture. Compelling from beginning to end & the road to extinguishing the lies crafted 8 years prior.

Robin. HTF can anyone have a gripe with that? Levitt was the dream Robin. An orphan, a cop, an idealist, a hero.

The Lazarus Pit was "padding"??? The man's an idiot. The best moments in TDKR, the moments that put me in full David Lean mode, were Bruce's moments in the Pit. I still after 9 viewings, get chills when Bruce makes the final climb and looks at the Syrian landscape as he walks away from the hole.

Catwoman's suit. Do we really have to be this nitpicky? Really? Like, really?

Again, the majority of complaints against this film consist of nitpicks & unfulfilled notions of what the film "should have" been.

Watch LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. Or DOCTOR ZHIVAGO. They're at the same level with TDKR yet I doubt you'll dissect them into "bad writing" despite having ridiculously similar arcs for their protagonists.

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #109
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Read the first one.
I did.

Quote:
The guy who wrote it needs to learn how to write.
That's your personal opinion.

Quote:
The Tosh.0 approach is the ******** approach to criticism.
Why is that?

Quote:
Alfred's scenes in Florence were brilliant. Can't believe the guy craps on them.
Again that is your personal preference.

Quote:
Blake's speech to Bruce was the heart of the picture. Compelling from beginning to end & the road to extinguishing the lies crafted 8 years prior.
Your personal preference.

Quote:
Robin. HTF can anyone have a gripe with that? Levitt was the dream Robin. An orphan, a cop, an idealist, a hero.
Your personal opinion.

Quote:
The Lazarus Pit was "padding"??? The man's an idiot. The best moments in TDKR, the moments that put me in full David Lean mode, were Bruce's moments in the Pit. I still after 9 viewings, get chills when Bruce makes the final climb and looks at the Syrian landscape as he walks away from the hole.
Your personal opinion.

Quote:
Catwoman's suit. Do we really have to be this nitpicky? Really? Like, really?
Catwoman's costume was a source of much criticism. Not just in this review. When it was revealed, too.

Quote:
Again, the majority of complaints against this film consist of nitpicks & unfulfilled notions of what the film "should have" been.
And again all of that is your personal opinion. You liked the Robin angle, the Florence scenes, the Pit scenes. Some people did not. However what you're doing now is veering off the original point you made which has been proven wrong; you said the only source of criticism against the movie stemmed from this forum. I don't know how you conned yourself into believing that in the first place.

As can be proven time and time again, the criticism against this movie is rampant and widespread far beyond this forum. Whether you personally agree with the criticisms or not is irrelevant. That wasn't even your original point.

- The Joker
Old 10-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #110
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
I did.

That's your personal opinion.

Why is that?

Again that is your personal preference.

Your personal preference.

Your personal opinion.

Your personal opinion.

Catwoman's costume was a source of much criticism. Not just in this review. When it was revealed, too.

And again all of that is your personal opinion. You liked the Robin angle, the Florence scenes, the Pit scenes. Some people did not. However what you're doing now is veering off the original point you made which has been proven wrong; you said the only source of criticism against the movie stemmed from this forum. I don't know how you conned yourself into believing that in the first place.

As can be proven time and time again, the criticism against this movie is rampant and widespread far beyond this forum. Whether you personally agree with the criticisms or not is irrelevant. That wasn't even your original point.
My point is that the tiny fraction of criticism the film's received online comes from petty nitpicking.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #111
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

People....discuss, debate, and argue about anything in the movie.....but leave the name calling and rudeness at home.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #112
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Quote:

No it really wasn't. It has a higher RT score, but RT score doesn't take in account the rating aside from it being positive or negative. The Avengers got a lot of positive reviews, but the majority of them weren't rave reviews or anything. Meanwhile, TDKR may not have gotten quite as much positive reviews, but the positive reviews it got were for the most part, pretty rave. Metacritic actually takes in consideration the actual score people give the films, not just whether it was positive or negative. Judging critical acclaim on just RT, or just Metacritic or just IMDB isn't great, but judging based on all three of them gives you a pretty accurate depiction of critical and fan reaction to a film.

TDKR The Avengers
RT: 87% 92%
Metracritc: 78 69
IMD: 8.8 8.4

If you averaged out their scores from all three major sites you'd get:
TDKR= 83
The Avengers=81.
Sure its extremely close and a case could be made for either one of them, but people acting like Avengers was WAY more popular among critics because it hit over 90% on RT are misguided.

If you want to add RT's fan Tomatoemeter and top critics into the mix, its still too close to call.
TDKR average: 83%
The Avengers: 85%

BTW, not saying your necessarily saying this, just figured I'd chime in.

Last edited by weezerspider; 10-25-2012 at 02:14 PM.
weezerspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #113
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
That was..pointless. Really had nothing to do with what I was saying. Saying certain people are quick to point to the 30 something negative reviews when there are over 200 positive ones, many of them giving the film 4-5 stars.
You said it was critically acclaimed. Big deal. There's great movies than got panned by critics. Same as there's crappy movies that got hailed by critics.

The day you use critics to say what a good movie is is the day you accept box office as being a good indication of great movies, too.

Quote:
My point is that the tiny fraction of criticism the film's received online comes from petty nitpicking.
Says you. They think their arguments are valid and so do plenty others. Fact.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #114
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
You said it was critically acclaimed. Big deal. There's great movies than got panned by critics. Same as there's crappy movies that got hailed by critics.

The day you use critics to say what a good movie is is the day you accept box office as being a good indication of great movies, too.

Sorry, but petty nitpicking is in the end - petty.

I could do the same with Apocalypse Now, The Godfather, The Bridge on The River Kwai & nobody would care.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #115
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
But like everything you said regarding the reviews in question, that is your own subjective opinion. You want to believe that, then that's fine.

Your original point, which can and has been factually proven wrong, was that the criticisms levelled towards this movie only came from the users here. Could not be further from the truth. I am still surprised you even believed that in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
People....discuss, debate, and argue about anything in the movie.....but leave the name calling and rudeness at home.
Thank you

- The Joker
Old 10-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #116
batbax
Side-Kick

Quote:

Lol try to keep up. I was referring to certain posters on here who use CRITCS negative reviews to point out how bad the movie is. So I was simply stating if we are using that as a barometer 90 percent of critics feel its a great film.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #117
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Meh.

The Dark Knight Rises was phenomenal and the best film of the trilogy. Why would I say this? Because I have my own brain to use without believing only what critics believe

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #118
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:

Your original point, which can and has been factually proven wrong, was that the criticisms levelled towards this movie only came from the users here. Could not be further from the truth. I am still surprised you even believed that in the first place.
Are you serious?

I never said they were coming from "here" as in SHH. I said they were coming from message boards in general.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #119
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Lol try to keep up. I was referring to certain posters on here who use CRITCS negative reviews to point out how bad the movie is. So I was simply stating if we are using that as a barometer 90 percent of critics feel its a great film.
Ehhh yeah except nobody was using the critics. They ain't the only ones that diss this movie to death. Only that Alexei mentioned the critics on RT as if they were the only ones slamming this movie.

Sounds like you need to keep up not moi.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #120
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Are you serious?

I never said they were coming from "here" as in SHH. I said they were coming from message boards in general.
Wrong there, too, then weren't you. None of those bad reviews came from message boards.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #121
batbax
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ehhh yeah except nobody was using the critics. They ain't the only ones that diss this movie to death. Only that Alexei mentioned the critics on RT as if they were the only ones slamming this movie.

Sounds like you need to keep up not moi.
no one was using the critics? did you miss Thejokers post where he posted 3 links to negative reviews? LOL. Again, the majority loved it. fact.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #122
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Meh.

The Dark Knight Rises was phenomenal and the best film of the trilogy. Why would I say this? Because I have my own brain to use without believing only what critics believe
I saw this barely even having seen the preview more than once, or reading a review, in fact I still haven't read one. I agree with those that point out this movie was and is a jumbled, but fun, mess. The plot holes were apparent to me when I saw the movie the first time.

The only time I've seen it actually.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #123
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
no one was using the critics? did you miss Thejokers post where he posted 3 links to negative reviews? LOL.
Did you read Joker's links? They were not critics. They were just people posting reviews on websites like geekgirlsnetwork.

Look: http://geekgirlsnetwork.com/ggn/2012...ns-worst-film/

Alexei was wittering on that message boards are the only place people slam this movie. Denial.

Quote:
Again, the majority loved it. fact.
Majority of what? Critics? Whoop de doo. Maybe they were afraid to get death threats from the crazy fanboys, too lol.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #124
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Wrong there, too, then weren't you. None of those bad reviews came from message boards.
True, they came from poor reviewers that would probably nitpick the crap out of 2001.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #125
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
denial.
No, the word you're looking for is clarity.