The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #401
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Default Re: Official Batman Titles thread 2.0 - - - - Part 13

Superman Family Adventures took the place of Tiny Titans in my heart now. It truly is wonderful Mysti and I highly recommend it if you've never checked it out. Lil' Gotham is also proving to be a nice surrogate. Between those 2 books and the JL8 webcomic I'm a happy camper.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #402
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

I'mma pick up Superman Family Adventures in that case if its as cute and delightful as Tiny Titans

Humankind is enslaved by giraffe
Old 11-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #403
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #404
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Oh my gosh Beppo the super monkey has a secret identity

I this

Old 11-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #405
Maximus One
Oddball

Holy hell Batman and Batgirl were AWESOME this week. Actually this was the first time I've ever bought a Batgirl book and I'm hooked now. The art is fan-****ing-tastic. And Joker is just chilling so far. Can't wait to see what happens next week. Luckily a friend of mine picked up Suicide Squad so I can just read it instead of having to add more to my weekly box. Anyways, yea I am LOVING DOTF so far and Joker's motivations this time are just great.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #406
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

So far I think its been a pretty good Joker story though i do feel all these tie ins are a bit excessive

Really keeping it to Batman, Batgirl and maybe Red Hood given Jason's past with the Joker would make the most sense I think

Digging the story though looking forward to see what Snyder has in mind for future parts of it

Old 11-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #407
Maximus One
Oddball

All I've read so far was what came out today and then Batgirl and Catwoman 13. All the tie ins make sense though given Joker's motivations this time around. Except, I don't know anything about Suicide Squad never have read a single issue or even know who is in it. I do love how Joker was written in these issues though. Good, good stuff

Old 11-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #408
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

What do you think of the Joker's new look

Old 11-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #409
Spider-Nerd
Bring on the pressure

I didn't enjoy batgirl all that much from a story perspective, but wow was that art fantastic!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #410
cryptic name
No Limits

I really loved Batman #14. I know I'm in the minority with my opinion on this was, but I think Snyder is nailing it. And Capullo's Joker is well and truly disturbing to look at.

I believe in Batfleck
Old 11-15-2012, 04:42 AM   #411
Maximus One
Oddball

I really dig Joker's look. It looked 100x cooler in Batgirl though. I mean, it is weird but I can't hate it. Believe me, I want to hate it cuz in theory it's ****ing stupid but actually put into practice and him making lame jokes and puns about it just make it awesome. If that makes any sense at all.

I'm sitting here reading Batman and Robin now and I can't help it the "Don't let the meat beat you!" line made me burst out laughing like an idiot. Lol

Old 11-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #412
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

Having just read Batman #14, I didn't really enjoy it. Not that it was bad, because it wasn't. But it didn't do anything for me. It was a fairly static reading experience. And I still think that Jock should be drawing the main story. I'll give it one more issue before deciding to drop it or not. And that's pretty disappointing that it's come to that.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #413
The Batman
The Dark Knight

It just hit me that if Capullo weren't drawing the Batman title book....I wouldn't be buying the Batman title book.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #414
nite-owl
Side-Kick

I haven't got Batman #14 yet as I accidently got Batgirl instead.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #415
Kaleb
2010 SHHFFL Champ

I enjoyed Batman #14

Old 11-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #416
Darkness Falls
The Right Amount Of Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nite-owl View Post
I haven't got Batman #14 yet as I accidently got Batgirl instead.
the batgirl issue was good

Better Call Saul
Old 11-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #417
Maximus One
Oddball

Yea man, Joker looks 1000x better in not only Batgirl but also Suicide Squad than he does in Batman. I think both were awesome though. The confrontation in Batman and Batgirl both were f'n SWEET

Old 11-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #418
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Batman #14 - You know what I didn't like the last issue but this one was hilarious. It wasn't the intent but Snyder really exposes himself as a one note writer on this book for better or worse. Exposition after exposition with suspect characterizations and a contrived plot that make it seem like a lesser elseworlds and not the flagship title.

So to me it was entertaining for all the wrong reasons I suppose and the art was really great. Capullo's best work on the book. Shame about the writing though in the sense that it takes itself too seriously. It works great when viewed as a satirical look at the dark & gory nature of many popular comic books though. Now I'll actually keep buying this book. It's entertaining for the same reasons Batman Oddyssey was entertaining. It's sheer madness on the page that proudly shouts "F*** LOGIC!!!"

I think what really stood out to me were how Gordon is still a dumbass. How Batman has been put through the ringer pretty much this entire run with no let up. At this point he's like the final girl in a slasher. It works quite well as a b level slasher movie like story because it borrows a crapload of those tropes. Snyder is throwing everything and the kitchen sink into it and it's almost an interesting invert of Morrison's run.

I mean from the way he flipped the secret illuminati like organization tied to Batman's kin story with a Thomas Wayne of his own. Now to the way he's using The Joker who Morrison still kept as very sophisticated and vainly stylish despite severe facial disfigurement. Also in the end he ends up with a "perma grin". Only difference now is that Snyder paints him as a sloppy looking barbaric mess in blue collar garb.

Instead of batgod with the prep time and esoteric adventures you have a Batman who still can't quite keep his emotions in check. He's not ready for it all he can't for see certain things. His mansion doesn't even have a sufficient enough security system with advanced cameras for Alfred to not have answered that door last issue. I mean let's forget that this is the same writer who had Batman with a bat computer contact lens I guess. This Batman is kind of a failure. He mopes and mopes and gets out of focus easily. I found it hilarious and entertaining in a latter day Frank Miller type of meta textual satire way.

Joker's just too "deus ex machina" dude is causing enough havoc to force Sam Lane and the DCU military to make their way to Gotham and take down The Joker themselves. The body count is insane in this thing it's pretty funny like it's almost inverting all these grim and gritty comic book stories subconsciously. Then The Joker doesn't even acknowledge things like RIP or anything like that. Morrison is now officially in his own continuity bubble so I hope he now runs hogwild over in his book.

I don't like this Joker and to their credit I guess I'm not supposed to. I've been reading Joker stories from across the decades since '39 since the late 80's. Seeing versions of the character in the comics that I dislike is rare so kudos to them on making that happen again. I can't wait to see Batman and Jason kick his ass down the line.

With Joker it was all good till Joker spoke to Batman as if they've been at it for over a decade like in the past but this time it doesn't really seem that effective considering it's only been 6 years. It just really doesn't feel like the pre-Flashpoint characters now for better or worse.

Since again it retconned things like Joker knowing the bat family identities and not caring cause he's into facing the masks we're supposed to believe this is the first time Batman and The Joker have ever even come close to addressing this issue. Only now The Joker gives a damn. He actually broadcasts the message to the entire bat clan. Consider this the story's equivalent of the "Alfred call" during Night of the Owls. So the new 52 is still changing things around as it goes FYI. Snyder finally owning up to the promise of just starting everything again in his own way.

Last edited by Cain; 11-15-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #419
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

cain with the review and boom goes the dynamite

something about the fact that every reviewer on earth is dickriding snyder makes it that much worse

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
Old 11-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #420
Cain
"West West Y'all"

I do get kind of scared when I see reviews for it that genuinely think it's some game changing and amazing piece of heaven. If these are the people that will review comics in the future I feel bad for their audience. I think it's flaws are part of it's entertainment but there are a lot of flaws and they can't go unacknowledged. At least not if you love Batman as a character IMO. It's the worse of the bat books starring Bruce but that's not too bad considering they're all in good shape right now.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #421
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

I think I'll like batman more if I stop reading snyder's interviews.

snyder: im writing joker as an unstoppable force of nature, a ferocious jester to batman's king

batman: joker is back and has never been meaner, he is an unstoppable force of nature

leatherface: im your jester im gonna kill your sidekicks

reviewers: we have never seen such a scary joker, it says so in the book A+

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
Old 11-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #422
Cain
"West West Y'all"

I never read his interviews but I feel there was way too much tell and not enough show in a medium that is revered for excelling at the opposite when it comes to this issue.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #423
Spider-Nerd
Bring on the pressure

My favorite part of the issue was the conversation between Dick and Bruce but it still felt a little "been there done that". You know, Bruce starts to clam up and Dick has to shake him back to reality. I mean, it's not like it's bad characterization, I just feel like we've been there and we're past it. Such is the new52 I suppose...

Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #424
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
With Joker it was all good till Joker spoke to Batman as if they've been at it for over a decade like in the past but this time it doesn't really seem that effective considering it's only been 6 years. It just really doesn't feel like the pre-Flashpoint characters now for better or worse.
This. While I don't agree that it doesn't seem effective because of the new timeline, it is ineffective anyway. If you read this book without any context of the New52, their conversation still falls flat at capturing the history between the characters.

I DO wonder how all of this would have gone down had DC not decided to reboot their continuity. Or maybe I'm just getting disillusioned by superhero comics.

But how many times have we seen this story? The Joker comes back(again), he's worse than before(again), Batman's not sure if he can stop him(again). By the story's end, Batman's gonna kick his ass and it's gonna be all hunky dory(again).

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but Snyder seems to be giving us the same old crap we've already seen numerous times. Court of Owls ended with a forced introduction of a new character who Batman fights and seemingly dies, but the body is never found. Death of the Family will probably end with Batman defeating the Joker after all the hype begging to differ.

The solicit for #17 asks "Who lives? Who dies?"

Really? Come on, now.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #425
Assassin
Detroit's Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Superman Family Adventures took the place of Tiny Titans in my heart now. It truly is wonderful Mysti and I highly recommend it if you've never checked it out. Lil' Gotham is also proving to be a nice surrogate. Between those 2 books and the JL8 webcomic I'm a happy camper.
Art Baltazar has become a friend in the past 6/7 years that i've been going to cons and i've hung out with him during those weekends as well. He's cool as hell and I'm glad to say i knew him before DC fame. i'll pick up any book with his name on it just because.