The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #626
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Default Re: Official Batman Titles thread 2.0 - - - - Part 13

Which is a shame as he seems like a real nice guy.

The only thing that holds B&R back from being amazingly spectacular is the plotting/story concepts. So far, his arcs haven't featured very pronounced or epic storylines,and its lost a lot of steam due to its crossovers with Snyder's book, I think.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #627
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Which is a shame as he seems like a real nice guy.

The only thing that holds B&R back from being amazingly spectacular is the plotting/story concepts. So far, his arcs haven't featured very pronounced or epic storylines,and its lost a lot of steam due to its crossovers with Snyder's book, I think.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #628
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

yeah, Tomasi, just like Hurwitz so far, is amazing at characterization, but his stories lacks the epic touch that makes Morrison's work so incredible imo.

Some men just want to watch the DCCU burn.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #629
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

simone is back on batgirl

/wrists

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
Old 12-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #630
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Still don't care one way or another.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #631
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

then why is your face all red V_V

Old 12-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #632
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughNTumble View Post
then why is your face all red V_V
I've recently vomited.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #633
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
simone is back on batgirl

/wrists
Look at the bright side, rumors are popping up that Simone being reinstated has empowered several creators at DC who have been getting constrained by editorial to stand up against them because Simone is now at the point where she can't be fired.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #634
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

they better make sure they have a massive tumblr social justice following before picking up that pitchfork

Old 12-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #635
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
they better make sure they have a massive tumblr social justice following before picking up that pitchfork
IMO I think Snyder has more to do with Simone getting reinstated than the fanrage that followed Simone's firing. He made it pretty clear publicly that he wasn't happy with Simone's firing.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #636
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

That's true

on the fatman on batman podcast when discussing something behind the scenes at DC he hesitated because he didn't want to get in trouble

and smith was like 'hey man i don't wanna get you in trouble'

and snyder was like 'nah it's okay, they need me'

so yeah, I only expect him to gain even more influence as time goes on

Old 12-23-2012, 01:36 AM   #637
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

I'm almost always blown away by Snyder's Batman, and based on the typical reception I see for each issue I tend to operate under the assumption it's universally acclaimed. Then I come into this thread and it's like I've fallen into an evil mirror universe where everyone has goatees and Scott Snyder is apparently writing a lame Batman comic. His work is so widely panned in this thread I sometimes need to go back and re-read the issue in question to make sure I'm not going crazy and haven't just imagined how good it was.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Old 12-23-2012, 02:00 AM   #638
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
I'm almost always blown away by Snyder's Batman, and based on the typical reception I see for each issue I tend to operate under the assumption it's universally acclaimed. Then I come into this thread and it's like I've fallen into an evil mirror universe where everyone has goatees and Scott Snyder is apparently writing a lame Batman comic. His work is so widely panned in this thread I sometimes need to go back and re-read the issue in question to make sure I'm not going crazy and haven't just imagined how good it was.
I feel the same way. For a while, I stopped coming to this thread because no one else enjoys the work. I loved what he has done with the title and eagerly await each installment (which is something that has not happened for a while.) He did well with the Court of the Owls, and I like what he has been doing with the Joker: in the last issue, the scene with the Joker Card in the water was beautifully.done. I've been thinking about those panels for a while now, and debating whether the Joker actually breached the cave or not. So, after reading the issue, I logged onto here to share the excitement only to have it snuffed, as everyone hated it. It is a bummer, because all of my comic-reading friends are Marvel fans, save one who only reads Gail Simone, and I have nowhere to share my enjoyment of the books.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 12-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #639
WeeZiTe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Totally agreed, haha.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #640
DeGenerate10
Br Ba

Quote:
I've said it here before and I'll say it again. Everyone either loves Snyder's Batman or hates Snyder's Batman. I never see anyone in the middle on it

Old 12-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #641
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Batwoman was absolutely excellent this month I loved the focus on Maggie showing her bravery and heroism even if she doesn't wear a costume

The stuff about her past was so sad as well how her family were such bigoted and abusive monsters. She's definitely better off without those morons in her life

I think she might figure out that Kate is Batwoman after this. Just a feeling i have, assuming that Kate doesn't reveal to Maggie that she's Batwoman before that

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Look at the bright side, rumors are popping up that Simone being reinstated has empowered several creators at DC who have been getting constrained by editorial to stand up against them because Simone is now at the point where she can't be fired.
I'm just glad that this means Simone shall hopefully be introducing the transgender character she spoke about in the Batgirl series after all

In which case I'll have all the reason I need to buy the series

Humankind is enslaved by giraffe
Old 12-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #642
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Bah ha ha.

You're deluding yourself Mysti, Simone will never introduce that character just like she'll never bring back Steph and Cass.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #643
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

Quote:
I wish I enjoyed it

I think I got used to examining comics too closely with morrison's run

Old 12-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #644
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystirious View Post

I'm just glad that this means Simone shall hopefully be introducing the transgender character she spoke about in the Batgirl series after all

In which case I'll have all the reason I need to buy the series
She keeps teasing it so you keep buying it. AHAHAHA!

But yeah, I'm on the "Snyder is awesome" train. Choo Choo.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #645
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I think it's that Snyder is writing a soulless summer blockbuster of a comic. It's big, it's loud, it's everything someone would normally want from a comic, but it's also totally devoid of an nuance, skill or literary beauty.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #646
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

Old 12-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #647
WeeZiTe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
I think it's that Snyder is writing a soulless summer blockbuster of a comic. It's big, it's loud, it's everything someone would normally want from a comic, but it's also totally devoid of an nuance, skill or literary beauty.
Completely disagreed. While there is definitely big and loud moments, there's still a lot of interesting ideas and thoughts behind the actiony parts. The whole idea behind Death of the Family is really interesting. I think he's doing a good job of balancing the big, action set pieces and good story.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #648
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
The same here, i said it once in this thread too, people talk about bad dialogue but what they point out is usually dialogue used on comics, it's ironic as before Snyder's Batman began to get interesting most were here praising it, but once things actually started to happen with the owls they began to complain and call it boring

Snyder's Batman one of the most exciting of the new 52, and some say they prefer getting their dose of Batman from Batman: The Dark Knight

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 12-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #649
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

It's nice to know not everyone in this thread is maddeningly crazy.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #650
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

snyders batman is awful. he started out sorta okay at the very beginning with a few issues, but it quickly went from mediocre to crap to so bad im dropping the title.