The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #51
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official Batman Titles thread 2.0 - - - - Part 13

Batman #13 was really good. It's the first issue I've genuinely enjoyed since #7. So I'll stick with it. But talk about startling. Capullo's art looks about as mundane as it comes compared to Jock's back-up strip. I'd prefer Jock do this whole story than just back-ups.

Not too thrilled about Van Scriver on Dark Knight. Put Fabok on that book and then put Francesco Francavilla on Detective.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #52
Cain
"West West Y'all"

I didn't like Batman #13 at all. I'll give it one more issue but if I don't like that one either I'm definitely done with this book until they get a new writer. Detective Comics here I come.

Pull list: Saga, Thief of Thieves, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Shadowman, Green Lantern, Red Lanterns, Justice League 3000, Action Comics, Superman/Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Red Hood & The Outlaws, Swamp Thing, All-Star Western, Earth 2, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Old 10-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #53
Mani-Man
Side-Kick

Batman 13 was good,until the last pages.
There is an unwritten comic book rule that says:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
you dont kill the most important support characters of batman or superman

They better not go that way.
The art was great,the writing seems off a little bit here and there but it was good.
So far we didnt see much new from the joker,also im confused but didnt harley got crazier after joker left? She seemed very much out of character here imo. I really want to hear a good reason why the joker cut of his face and was gone.
I will follow it but if it gets worst and worst i will stop completely with the new 52. The only real thing that holds me on the reboot is batman, if they manage to mess this up like superman and the other stuff.......then dc can go to hell.

BTW: I hope they give him his suit soon,because i really like the way joker looks in this pic:

Old 10-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #54
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WompuM View Post
Did no one read Red Hood #0? It implies that Joker has always known that Bruce is Batman. Whacky stuff. I'm wondering if it is canon or just Joker's delusion.

I dont like that.....

Old 10-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #55
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

#13 really didn't impress me in the slightest.

It just seems like Snyder is trying SO hard.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #56
WompuM
Esquire

Oh yeah. He's definitely trying very hard. He's certainly trying to make an iconic story rather than just writing a good, organic story than have it become iconic. But eagerness in a writer doesn't bother me. I liked the bit with the mayor being a legacy character. (Though the mayor's father seemed to have been killed decades ago rather than 6 years ago: The New52 everybody!) What Synder does very well is making Joker a terrifying creature hiding in the dark, whether through the use of shadows throughout the story, the Joker killing cops one by one in the dark, or the description of him hiding under Gordon's bed. The Joker hasn't been this absolutely terrifying in a long long time. Which I appreciate. I'd say my favorite bit in the issue (aside from thinking about Joker hiding under the Commish's bed) was his burn on the court of owls. The worst bit had to be Jim asking Batman if his fear was showing . . . out loud. Nobody talks like that. They think it, sure, but no body would ever ask that out loud.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #57
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
It just seems like Snyder is trying SO hard.
I've been thinking/saying this for months.

You can tell in his interviews and stories for his Bruce Wayne run that he desperately wants to be considered one of the great game changing bat writers. But anytime you try to force something, it dosen't work.

Or maybe it does in this case. His run is wildly popular, even though he is, IMO, the most overrated Bat Writer since Paul Dini on his Detective Run....even moreso, actually.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #58
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

From everything I've heard of from Snyder, he seems like a perfectly nice guy, but he also seems extremely teenager-ish.

Reading his twitter is like hearing a 16yo talk about writing Batman. And like I said, nothing against him personally, but I can definitely see why his writing has the flaws it does.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #59
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

It's a shame though, as he definitely is a talented writer - The Black Mirror and all of his American Vampire series prove that - if he just eased up on the throttle a bit, he'd be fine.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #60
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani-Man View Post
Batman 13 was good,until the last pages.
There is an unwritten comic book rule that says:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
you dont kill the most important support characters of batman or superman

They better not go that way.
The art was great,the writing seems off a little bit here and there but it was good.
So far we didnt see much new from the joker,also im confused but didnt harley got crazier after joker left? She seemed very much out of character here imo. I really want to hear a good reason why the joker cut of his face and was gone.
I will follow it but if it gets worst and worst i will stop completely with the new 52. The only real thing that holds me on the reboot is batman, if they manage to mess this up like superman and the other stuff.......then dc can go to hell.

BTW: I hope they give him his suit soon,because i really like the way joker looks in this pic:
isnt the point of the 52 is to do things they couldnt do before...that unwritten rules are gone now?

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 10-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #61
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Not really.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #62
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

so what happened in snyder's new issue? i havent picked it up, and im considering dropping the title anyways.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #63
Mani-Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
isnt the point of the 52 is to do things they couldnt do before...that unwritten rules are gone now?
No the POINT of new 52 is to make more money by changing iconic characters and their whole development that they had for 50-70 years and make them into plain,generic hero types that are "cool" for the messed up youth of today.(yeah you can tell im not a fan the 2000 youth, we the 90's were the best.)

OH btw does anybody saw the nameplate on joker....JOE!

Last edited by Mani-Man; 10-11-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #64
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Son of Kurosawa.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #65
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Absolutely loved the new issue. I'm surprised of the criticisms. It's the best Batman single issue I've read in a long time. It's probably my favorite of this run yet. I don't remember the last time I was actually frightened when reading a comic. I don't even remember the last time Joker has been this scary. The scene in the police station, my God. The fact the Joker was underneath Gordon's bed is just terrifying in itself.

I don't get the criticisms of him trying TOO hard? I see where people are coming from, but I just loved the his new twists on things in this story. The frowns instead of the smiles, Harley being switched to be Red Hood, Joker who could know Batman's identity, etc. He's shaking things up. The brother thing was a little out there, but I can forgive it since it's the New 52. And he's dead anyway.

Detective has gotten a lot better thank God. Now that was something that needed help and it looks like it got it.

Last edited by Doctor Jones; 10-11-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #66
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
It's a shame though, as he definitely is a talented writer - The Black Mirror and all of his American Vampire series prove that - if he just eased up on the throttle a bit, he'd be fine.
Wait, so you were fine with him arbitrarily making Gordon's son a serial killer? Or has this been shown before? That was the one thing that never sat right with me in Black Mirror. Otherwise I loved it.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #67
roach
I am the night

I loved this issue and agree with the Doctor.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 10-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #68
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
Wait, so you were fine with him arbitrarily making Gordon's son a serial killer? Or has this been shown before? That was the one thing that never sat right with me in Black Mirror. Otherwise I loved it.
He already was psychopathic. Although I haven't personally ever read that particular story.

Last edited by CConn; 10-11-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #69
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

Quote:
It's the best Batman single issue I've read in a long time. It's probably my favorite of this run yet. I don't remember the last time I was actually frightened when reading a comic. I don't even remember the last time Joker has been this scary.
he told a...joke

oh god he told a joke

owls

owls EVERYWHERE

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
Old 10-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #70
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Wow... how quickly Snyder has fallen.

He definitely seems a little over-ambitious lately.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 10-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #71
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

I thought the issue was fine. The Joker is scary again, and I like how he's going through a "re imagining" of himself, tracing the steps through his first murders and how he became the Joker. Even if I'm not sure why it's happening now instead of the million other times the Joker's been shot in the head, or got the glasgow smile, etc.

I didn't care for Morrison's Joker, so I'm just glad I'm getting a Joker story from another writer.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #72
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

i don't understand why joker's 'angry' or how/in what way he thinks the bat-family is making bruce weak

joker would find batman's sidekicks hilarious tbqh

Old 10-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #73
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't get the criticisms of him trying TOO hard? I see where people are coming from, but I just loved the his new twists on things in this story. The frowns instead of the smiles, Harley being switched to be Red Hood, Joker who could know Batman's identity, etc. He's shaking things up. The brother thing was a little out there, but I can forgive it since it's the New 52. And he's dead anyway.

Detective has gotten a lot better thank God. Now that was something that needed help and it looks like it got it.
In his interviews, it certainly feels like Snyder's trying too hard. He WANTS to be epic. He WANTS to be iconic. What he NEEDS to do is relax and focus on telling a story. That's why his Detective Comics run was so good.

In his writing, I just see it as Snyder losing track of the story. Court of Owls went from a really creepy, compelling story to being a cliche ridden mess. In 8-11, Snyder effortlessly undermines the Court of Owls to turn it into a forced, generic, "revenge" storyline that ends with the villain, who was forced into this story, seemingly dying, but no body is recovered. Cliche. We've seen it SO many times before that it's laughable.

The Joker's pretty chilling in this issue, but the more I think about it, the more I remain hesitant about how this whole story may end.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #74
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

I actually really like snyder's villain inventions so far (jamesjr./auctionman/tigersharkreinvention/owlman/courtofowls)

even if I don't like his writing style, I'd like to see them stick around

Old 10-12-2012, 12:10 AM   #75
cryptic name
No Limits

Anybody pick up the first issue of Legends of the Dark Knight? I'm a big fan of the original title, especially the earlier entries, and I'm excited to have a Batman anthology. Liked the second two stories and loved the art in the first story, even if the story itself was just one more reason I wish Damon Lindelof would just go away.

I believe in Batfleck
Closed Thread