HighFivingMF
Welp.

Default Re: Official Batman Titles thread 2.0 - - - - Part 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewbz View Post
I don't think the silver platter has
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
alfred's head
on it because Penguin and Two-Face are clearly shocked by its contents and I'm betting they don't know Batman is Bruce Wayne so I don't think that would have any impact on them.
Well, Bruce Wayne funding Batman is public knowledge. Of all the villains, Harvey Dent and Oswald Cobblepot are the two most likely to have mingled with Wayne and met his butler at some point.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #827
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Eh, #16 didn't impress me much. It pretty much felt like the penultimate issue of Court of Owls all over again.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #828
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

alfred's head on the platter would be the cheapest route to hollow shock value.

....though, that sounds right up snyder's alley, so....

Old 01-17-2013, 02:32 AM   #829
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

The narrative was really bad as usual. Bruce would never ever stol talking to himself. The issue itself is nothing special. Batman in Arkham fighting his way through Joker's henchmen. It's been a thousand times already. It's not that intense imo, and it pales in comparison of their last meeting in Arkham, during Batman Rip. I liked it when Joker showed Batman what he did to the family though. But apart from that, I do think this definitive Joker story is quite boring.

On the other hand, Batman and Robin 16 was awesome. Tomasi really understands Damian, and he knows how to write him. His Joker is also far more entertaining and creepy imo. Same goes for the art. While I found Capullo's art to be beautiful but too clean, Gleason's art is creepy as hell.

Some men just want to watch the DCCU burn.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:37 AM   #830
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
alfred's head on the platter would be the cheapest route to hollow shock value.

....though, that sounds right up snyder's alley, so....
Agreed.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:54 AM   #831
Number 6
Be seeing you

Wow, some of you guys have it in for Snyder around here pretty bad. I dropped Batman awhile back, kind of lost interest in the COO stuff, but I thought it was written better than the drooling retard with a pencil you guys try to make it into. I don't think it's quite worth the praise it receives, but sure as hell not worth that amount of scorn either.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:40 AM   #832
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

I liked his work on tec. I also liked his first 6 batman issues. Then it went downhill. The dude can be a good writer, but he tries to hard to be the definitive batman writer and that's where he fails imo.

His work since night of owls bores me.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #833
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Yeah, his first issues were excellent. It was after the first arc of COO that it got bad. So unless you've read the issues past that, you really can't comment on/fault our comments.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #834
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

So far this arc isn't that impressive. I'm starting to think Snyder is trying too hard to write the next great Joker story. To me it just comes off as, "Look at this scheme the Joker is plotting and see how unexpected this is!" It's becoming expected to be unexpected.

Like the whole "kingdom" concept in this issue. It's kinda neat but it comes off as trying to be too "Surprise! Surprise! Didn't see this coming did ya?"

The first issue was so damn good too. I'm thinking the platter is
Alfred's head
but I hope not.

Personally, I think Joker is just playing mind games with Batman to get him to think his loved ones are in danger. No doubt that's already been discussed here though.

Last edited by Doctor Jones; 01-17-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #835
Number 6
Be seeing you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
Yeah, his first issues were excellent. It was after the first arc of COO that it got bad. So unless you've read the issues past that, you really can't comment on/fault our comments.
Oh no, I certainly can. I may not have much validity in doing so, but there's absolutely nothing stopping me from doing it. Lincoln was crazy about all that fool's opening his mouth ****.

But seriously, I just can't help but find it interesting, because most places (critics and forum folks alike) rave about his run, but you come here and some of you guys have the most seething, nasty things to say about it. I think someone commented on this earlier, so I'm not trying to call anyone out about it or anything like that, but it kind of sticks out to me.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #836
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
So far this arc isn't that impressive. I'm starting to think Snyder is trying too hard to write the next great Joker story. To me it just comes off as, "Look at this scheme the Joker is plotting and see how unexpected this is!" It's becoming expected to be unexpected.

Like the whole "kingdom" concept in this issue. It's kinda neat but it comes off as trying to be too "Surprise! Surprise! Didn't see this coming did ya?"

The first issue was so damn good too. I'm thinking the platter is
Alfred's head
but I hope not.

Personally, I think Joker is just playing mind games with Batman to get him to think his loved ones are in danger. No doubt that's already been discussed here though.
The thing with this whole kingdom thing is that it's not a really smart scheme imo. The back-up issues with Joker bringing Penguin etc... made me think they would play a real and threatening part in his schemes, and in the end, they are just there to.... be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Oh no, I certainly can. I may not have much validity in doing so, but there's absolutely nothing stopping me from doing it. Lincoln was crazy about all that fool's opening his mouth ****.

But seriously, I just can't help but find it interesting, because most places (critics and forum folks alike) rave about his run, but you come here and some of you guys have the most seething, nasty things to say about it. I think someone commented on this earlier, so I'm not trying to call anyone out about it or anything like that, but it kind of sticks out to me.
The thing is I don't care wether most people like a story/writer or not. it doesn't matter. What matters to me is: do I feel a connection with the characters? Does the story interest me? And in that regard, Snyder's work since Night of owls doesn't interest me. I'm not waiting for the next issue. I'm just waiting for the story to end, because it bores me. I'm sticking with Batman because it's my favorite hero, I love the mythos, I love the bat-family, and I'm waiting to read the next great story, but so far, it's not in Batman that I find pleasure. On the other hand, Tec, TDK (save for the last scarecrow issue), B&R and Inc are a lot of fun.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #837
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:

Um, yeah, I didn't mean that you shouldn't be allowed to speak. That's just moronic.

But seriously, you really don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #838
Number 6
Be seeing you

I must have at least a clue about what I'm saying, surely.

But again, seriously, I not offering an opinion on the book. I'm not even really offering an opinion on your opinion, I just found it something...interesting? Odd? Whatever you want to say. And it can get pretty exaggerated, too, what with Micheal Bay comparisons and such, especially when you hear so much praise from other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Léo Ho Tep View Post
The thing is I don't care wether most people like a story/writer or not. it doesn't matter. What matters to me is: do I feel a connection with the characters? Does the story interest me? And in that regard, Snyder's work since Night of owls doesn't interest me. I'm not waiting for the next issue. I'm just waiting for the story to end, because it bores me. I'm sticking with Batman because it's my favorite hero, I love the mythos, I love the bat-family, and I'm waiting to read the next great story, but so far, it's not in Batman that I find pleasure. On the other hand, Tec, TDK (save for the last scarecrow issue), B&R and Inc are a lot of fun.
Sure. I'm loving Inc, too, myself. Not reading any of those other titles.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #839
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Well, I do find the fact that so many do enjoy it so perplexing. I have absolutely nothing against Snyder. I love the art, I mostly love his concepts, I'll continue to read the book (mainly because it's one one book I haven't stopped buying in 9 years of reading comics), but it just isn't that good.

I've thought about it, analyzed it, attempted to be as objective and open-minded as possible to the idea of it being great, but it just isn't. The Michael Bay comparison is apt; his run has been all explosions and flash with little artistic substance; great ideas peppered with stilted and cheesy dialogue; and often a lack of ability to develop any real dramatic tension or resonance.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #840
Number 6
Be seeing you

Of course, fair. It's hard for me to imagine Snyder's writing to be that bad, but yeah, like said, I got no clue beyond like issue.....7? 6...5 maybe even. I don't remember.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #841
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Thought I'd put this out there: I ****ing love Capullo's Two-Face and Riddler.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #842
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Of course, fair. It's hard for me to imagine Snyder's writing to be that bad, but yeah, like said, I got no clue beyond like issue.....7? 6...5 maybe even. I don't remember.
This is legitimately how it went...

He spent like 5-6 issues creating this really great mythology surrounding the court, really making the story seem definitive and epic and timeless in all the right ways.

Then issues 7-8 on little more than an extended fight scene - which most people here hated, but frankly, I was pretty okay with.

Issues 9-11 is where the story really degraded into little more than a trite and overused collection of plot devices - somehow, all of the timelessness was gone, replaced with little more than an unsurprising and forgettable reveal and conclusion.

Since then, it's pretty much stayed the course of trite and tired plotting, plus the dialogue has progressively gotten worse - honestly appearing more as satirical and parody than legitimate writing.

It's sad, and odd, that Snyder's writing deteriorated so quickly. It's almost as if Snyder's fame and acclaim over his first few issues immediately went to his head.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #843
Number 6
Be seeing you

Hmm, interesting. You read American Vampire, by chance?

Old 01-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #844
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

I've enjoyed the current Joker arc well enough i think all the crossovers are kind of pointless and excessive but as a Joker story its been a pretty good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
BatCow>BatHorse
I'm still at Jason telling Damian he wanted to make Batcow into a steak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1
Jim Gordon's mustache. The last sacred cow left.
Surely not even the Joker could do such a thing

Humankind is enslaved by giraffe
Old 01-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #845
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
This is legitimately how it went...

He spent like 5-6 issues creating this really great mythology surrounding the court, really making the story seem definitive and epic and timeless in all the right ways.

Then issues 7-8 on little more than an extended fight scene - which most people here hated, but frankly, I was pretty okay with.

Issues 9-11 is where the story really degraded into little more than a trite and overused collection of plot devices - somehow, all of the timelessness was gone, replaced with little more than an unsurprising and forgettable reveal and conclusion.

Since then, it's pretty much stayed the course of trite and tired plotting, plus the dialogue has progressively gotten worse - honestly appearing more as satirical and parody than legitimate writing.

It's sad, and odd, that Snyder's writing deteriorated so quickly. It's almost as if Snyder's fame and acclaim over his first few issues immediately went to his head.
Exactly. Instead of developing the mythology and finding a resolution adequate, he changed the scope of the story into some kind of big war event. I didn't work at all. Then he began to think he was gonna say loudly what others didn't. And by doing so, he destroy everything subtle about the family. Batman saying to Nightwing he's worried about Alfred because the dude is like a father to him isn't very subtle, and isn't as touching as he wanted it to be. and it's just an example.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #846
The Batman
The Dark Knight

I'm glad (somewhat) Snyder has decided to apparently do a Riddler arc. Since the dude is jonesing to make some kind of impact, finally giving Riddler an iconic storyarc of his own could do that.

But that's if its Black Mirror/Court of Owls Pt 1 Snyder instead of Court of Owls Pt 2/Death of the Family Snyder.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #847
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

idk about those riddler mutton chops

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
Old 01-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #848
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
I'm glad (somewhat) Snyder has decided to apparently do a Riddler arc. Since the dude is jonesing to make some kind of impact, finally giving Riddler an iconic storyarc of his own could do that.

But that's if its Black Mirror/Court of Owls Pt 1 Snyder instead of Court of Owls Pt 2/Death of the Family Snyder.
Riddler getting some love might be really neat but i hope they dont go overboard in trying to make him all grim and gloomy

Humankind is enslaved by giraffe
Old 01-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #849
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Riddler is getting an arc? I kinda just want this to end because that intrigues me. Riddler is one of my favorites and he deserves a great story.

And I'm enjoying Batman Inc. more myself. Then again I've enjoyed Morrison over Snyder in general.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #850
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Those with taste do

Closed Thread