Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #201
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Default Re: Official Batman Titles thread 2.0 - - - - Part 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Even taking superhero comics into account, it is still unhealthy. Huge secrets is not healthy period for relationships whether they be real or fictional.

Peter Parker hid his secret life as Spider-Man from several of his girlfriends such as Gwen Stacy and the dreaded Carlie Cooper and as a result, they completely fell apart. The current run on Daredevil just had Kirsten McDuffie reveal to Foggie that if she officially knows that her boyfriend is Daredevil, she will have to go after him. Barry Allen has tricked his girlfriend into thinking that he's dead.

The current run on Batwoman is flat out stating that Kate keeping such a huge secret from Maggie is the cause of their problems.
I agree that Kate should trust Maggie with her secret at this point

I wouldn't call their relationship unhealthy though. If Kate were keeping a secret like having an affair that would be unhealthy

But she's keeping her superhero identity secret for her own protection and for Maggie's

The more people know who she is, the worse the risk of the wrong people finding out she's Batwoman

If people found out she was Batwoman she'd be in danger and Maggie would be in danger from people wanting to get at her through Maggie

But I agree I think at this point in their relationship Kate should trust Maggie with her secret identity

Humankind is enslaved by giraffe
Old 10-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #202
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystirious View Post
I try to stay positive

It's no fun being mean and pessimistic. I'm sometimes in a bad or down mood because of my depression but I try to focus on the good things in life and what makes me happy
That's why I like you more than Lix

Old 10-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #203
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Seriously???? Are you kidding me?? Was that pre-Flashpoint??

Why would Morrison do something that stupid to this character??

Do you havea link you can post for that?

How can you say this is stupid or out of character when you didn't even read the story? It makes sense in the context of the story. not to mention it's a brilliant scene in its own right.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #204
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Quote:
Which makes that whole public move the stupidest thing Bruce has ever done!! Did he not think that Batman's enemies would get hacked off and come gunning one day??

Never liked that Bat Inc. thing!!
Read Batman Inc.

Actually, I would recommend to read thinks, before judging them.... It would be smarter.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #205
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

If there's one thing I know about Shazam, it's that him and intelligence aren't really on speaking terms.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #206
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Léo Ho Tep View Post
Read Batman Inc.

Actually, I would recommend to read thinks, before judging them.... It would be smarter.
I dunno. He gets upset when a hero isn't a white guy.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #207
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
I dunno. He gets upset when a hero isn't a white guy.
He really said that? And I'm wasting my time, answering to him? What a moron I am!

Old 10-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #208
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

The next arc in The Dark Knight is going to be focusing on Mad Hatter

I loves Jervis and I've been digging the current Scarecrow arc so I'm looking forward to seeing how this writer handles the Hatter

I dig the idea of this comic book and Detective Comics focusing on the classic rogues and I like that ones like Scarecrow and Mad Hatter be getting some love

I'd love a Riddler or Poison Ivy story in Dark Knight too

Old 10-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #209
Mani-Man
Side-Kick

Looking forward to the mad hatter story.
Im not sure about the scarecrow story so far, he comes of a little bit "redneckish",but otherwise its really interesting.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #210
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

I don't like Mad Hatter, so I'll be giving Dark Knight a miss for a while, but hopefully Superman can fill that void.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #211
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I agree that Kate should trust Maggie with her secret at this point

I wouldn't call their relationship unhealthy though. If Kate were keeping a secret like having an affair that would be unhealthy

But she's keeping her superhero identity secret for her own protection and for Maggie's

The more people know who she is, the worse the risk of the wrong people finding out she's Batwoman

If people found out she was Batwoman she'd be in danger and Maggie would be in danger from people wanting to get at her through Maggie

But I agree I think at this point in their relationship Kate should trust Maggie with her secret identity
If a person is going to have an affair with someone and not tell about, a person probably shouldn't be dating that person to begin with because there is something within that relationship that isn't working and it's doomed.

Keeping massive secrets and keeping a significant other completely out of an important part of your life is not healthy at all for a relationship. It isn't healthy for heterosexual relationships and it isn't healthy for homosexual relationships. Are you actually reading the Batwoman book, or are you just enjoying it because of Batwoman's sexuality?

Old 10-21-2012, 11:18 PM   #212
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

I don't think a hero keeping their secret identity a secret from their partner makes the relationship unhealthy

I agree that Kate should trust Maggie with her secret identity at this point but i dont think there's anything unhealthy about their relationship whatsoever

Superheroes keeping their identities secret from their loved ones is pretty common in comics. I don't think it makes any of their relationships unhealthy

Still I hope Kate does trust Maggie with her identity. I think that they've been together long enough that Kate should feel able to trust Maggie with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani-Man View Post
Looking forward to the mad hatter story.
Im not sure about the scarecrow story so far, he comes of a little bit "redneckish",but otherwise its really interesting.
I'm not digging the whole stitched together lips thing that seems a bit like the writer trying too hard but otherwise I dig it

Old 10-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #213
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
How can you say this is stupid or out of character when you didn't even read the story? It makes sense in the context of the story. not to mention it's a brilliant scene in its own right.
Tell Alfred how "brilliant" that move is......

No....it doesn't make sense to reveal your secret to a murdering maniac like Joker. Whether I read the book or not does not matter. Did I spit in your coffee or something? Can I say that it was stupid for someone to get behind the wheel after getting smashed in a bar, even if I wasn't at the bar and saw the "context" of how it started??

What's your problem.....??

Smh....I swear people are such tough guys in the safe womb of cyberspace.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #214
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
If there's one thing I know about Shazam, it's that him and intelligence aren't really on speaking terms.
Are you always snotty? You are pretty much like the image of your avatar,it seems.

I'm just here talking comics and you attack me and for what??

Take a chill.....

Old 10-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #215
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:

No....it doesn't make sense to reveal your secret to a murdering maniac like Joker. Whether I read the book or not does not matter. Did I spit in your coffee or something? Can I say that it was stupid for someone to get behind the wheel after getting smashed in a bar, even if I wasn't at the bar and saw the "context" of how it started??

Joker would have found out regardless. Dr Hurt and Jezebel kept calling him Bruce and after he was stripped and placed in a clean batsuit. Bruce had bigger problems and this story was to show Bruce at his most desperate. So context does matter, what if as in your example the drunk person is getting in the car to go and save his family who are about to die and planned to use roads no one drives on?

Anyway as stated before, it's been suggested for decades Joker already knew Bruce was Batman, and in the narrative of the New 52, it's the same.

Finally yes, the scene and story in question is brilliant, and as you haven't read you cannot form an informed opinion.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #216
Shazam
Side-Kick

[QUOTE]
Quote:
He really said that? And I'm wasting my time, answering to him? What a moron I am![/QUOTE]
Only if you believe what CConn says about someone without having dealt with them yourself. I have no beef with any of you. I'm Just on here talking comics. Trying to have fun like you.

By the way, I'm black.

And we are not monolithic in our thinking.

I just don't like being pandered to. I don't need Superman or Wonder woman to be black or hispanic or whatever.....

I didn't need Spiderman to be changed either.

I say create an original minority character and write him or her with quality and the rest will follow. Leave the classics alone.

Panther? The Falcon?? these are time tested characters....But I guess they are from a time when imaginations of writers were more fertile.

CConn doesn't like my opinion, thus he doesn't like me. Silly....smh.

Last edited by Shazam; 10-22-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #217
Shazam
Side-Kick

Post Re: Official Batman Titles thread 2.0 - - - - Part 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Joker would have found out regardless. Dr Hurt and Jezebel kept calling him Bruce and after he was stripped and placed in a clean batsuit. Bruce had bigger problems and this story was to show Bruce at his most desperate. So context does matter, what if as in your example the drunk person is getting in the car to go and save his family who are about to die and planned to use roads no one drives on?

Anyway as stated before, it's been suggested for decades Joker already knew Bruce was Batman, and in the narrative of the New 52, it's the same.

Finally yes, the scene and story in question is brilliant, and as you haven't read you cannot form an informed opinion.
All of that happen Pre Flashpoint.......and yes it makes no sense for the writer to expose Bruce in this manner.

Also......In my scenario.....the guy is drunk. He can't save himself let alone his family. And how can he even know who's driving on what road?? Come on man.......I don't think the cops will care, and neither will the family he collides with. You call a cab or get your non-drunk friend to drive you.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #218
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
All of that happen Pre Flashpoint.......and yes it makes no sense for the writer to expose Bruce in this manner.
I can tell you that both "A Death In the Family" and "Batman RIP" definitely still happened. Also Red Hood #0 hints Joker has always known.

Quote:
Also......In my scenario.....the guy is drunk. He can't save himself let alone his family. And how can he even know who's driving on what road?? Come on man.......I don't think the cops will care, and neither will the family he collides with. You call a cab or get your non-drunk friend to drive you.
Yes, but given further context the decision isn't as bad, and my context is there are no cars on the roads he needs. Context is everything when it comes to content. Which is why there isn't just one charge for murder, there is manslaughter, degrees and justifiable homicide.

The context of the story is everything.

Last edited by Llama_Shepherd; 10-22-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #219
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
I can tell you that both "A Death In the Family" and "Batman RIP" definitely still happened. Also Red Hood #0 hints Joker has always known.

Yes, but given further context the decision isn't as bad, and my context is there are no cars on the roads he needs. Context is everything when it comes to content. Which is why there isn't just one charge for murder, there is manslaughter, degrees and justifiable homicide.

The context of the story is everything.
There is no justification for driving drunk unless it's at gun point and "choice" is taken away. I think you know this.....there's no way an impaired man knows "logically" what roads have no drivers....evn sober people can't foresee such things. And even if the road has little traffic, how many cars does it take to kill an innocent?? One is too many.....right?

But whatever....

Old 10-22-2012, 11:33 PM   #220
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I agree that Kate should trust Maggie with her secret identity at this point but i dont think there's anything unhealthy about their relationship whatsoever
The whole secret thing....

Quote:
Superheroes keeping their identities secret from their loved ones is pretty common in comics. I don't think it makes any of their relationships unhealthy
And it's very often portrayed that keeping secret identities from their loved ones is a complete and total disaster.

Gwen Stacy not knowing that Spider-Man is Peter Parker led to a rift in their relationship because Gwen hated Spider-Man and she blamed him for the death of her father, but because Peter was keeping it a secret from her, he couldn't console her or do what was needed for their relationship. Carlie Cooper also left Peter out of disgust and outrage that she kept his identity as Spider-Man a secret from her.

In the latest issue of Daredevil, Kirsten McDuffie told Foggie that he better take back what he said about Matt going insane and is actually Daredevil or else she will have to launch a manhunt against him.

Pre-Crisis Superman was unable to have a relationship with Lois because of the love triangle that developed between his identities and Lois, all because he kept it a secret from her. It was only able to develop into a proper relationship when they completely rebooted the character and were able to let him tell her that he was Superman.

Barry Allen just tricked his girlfriend, Patty Spivot, that he's dead. Making her think that the Flash is a menace because he's responsible for Barry's death.

Batman is incapable of having a healthy relationship.

Quote:
Still I hope Kate does trust Maggie with her identity. I think that they've been together long enough that Kate should feel able to trust Maggie with it
Precisely.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #221
Darkness Falls
The Right Amount Of Dirty

only just recently gotten back into comics, went off for a bit after they started the new 52, but i have to say i'm really enjoying the current batman series

Better Call Saul
Old 10-23-2012, 04:53 AM   #222
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Quote:

I said the scene was brilliant, not the move. I said it made sense in the context of the story that he would do that, not that it made sense for him to unmask in front of the joker.

I don't have any problem. I just think it makes no sense for you to judge a story you didn't even read. Context of a fictionnal story is what makes such story interesting or not.

But In all honesty, I don't care about what you think. I respect other people's opinion. but to have an opinion, you have to know what you're talking about. Everyone has the right to judge an artist's work. But at least, you should respect said work enough to read or wathc it, before judging it.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:16 AM   #223
Batman jr.
Proud Nolanite

Quote:

It's ok, we all have our problems.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #224
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
The whole secret thing....

And it's very often portrayed that keeping secret identities from their loved ones is a complete and total disaster.

Gwen Stacy not knowing that Spider-Man is Peter Parker led to a rift in their relationship because Gwen hated Spider-Man and she blamed him for the death of her father, but because Peter was keeping it a secret from her, he couldn't console her or do what was needed for their relationship. Carlie Cooper also left Peter out of disgust and outrage that she kept his identity as Spider-Man a secret from her.

In the latest issue of Daredevil, Kirsten McDuffie told Foggie that he better take back what he said about Matt going insane and is actually Daredevil or else she will have to launch a manhunt against him.

Pre-Crisis Superman was unable to have a relationship with Lois because of the love triangle that developed between his identities and Lois, all because he kept it a secret from her. It was only able to develop into a proper relationship when they completely rebooted the character and were able to let him tell her that he was Superman.

Barry Allen just tricked his girlfriend, Patty Spivot, that he's dead. Making her think that the Flash is a menace because he's responsible for Barry's death.

Batman is incapable of having a healthy relationship.
I definitely agree that heroes keeping their secret identities from their loved ones is a bad idea though I wouldn't go so far as to call it an unhealthy relationship

For me an unhealthy relationship is one thats physically, emotionally or psychologically abusive or one where one or both people involved are cheating on each other stuff like that

Kate keeping her secret identity from Maggie is probably a bad idea but they love love and care for one another. Even after a big arguement all Kate can think of is how to try and fix things

So I wouldn't call their relationship unhealthy at all personally

Quote:
Precisely.
I think Williams is probably planning on having their relationship develop that way in the future

I hope Kate will tell Maggie that she's Batwoman I think Maggie deserves to know

Old 10-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #225
Drz
Real Hero

Batman Incorporated #4 preview!

Quote:

I'm so glad Morrison is doing his Jason Todd redemption he talked about 2 years ago, Bueno!!!!!!

Closed Thread