The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League

Old 10-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #76
Zeerola
Side-Kick

Default Re: Let's Talk Costumes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMan-Bat View Post

Superman's creators, Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, didn't have him wear any kind of armor because he doesn't need it.

If the Superman's outfit is just a regular fabric, how it doesn't get ripped by the bullets?

Zeerola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #77
BobJM
Who's Bad?

kryptonian fabric

BobJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #78
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Correct. Iconically it's made of a nearly indestructible Kryptonian fabric from his Kryptonian baby blankets. Comic book writer John Byrne in the '80s revamped Superman's costume an ordinary fabric that was protected by Superman's supercharged bioelectric skin-tight auras invulnerability like an invisible force field protecting his skin and coincidentally protecting his skin-tight costume from damage. Eventually the indestructible Kryptonian fabric returned because it's such an iconic part of the legendary Superman mythology.

THE DEATH OF "SUPERMAN LIVES": WHAT HAPPENED?
Release date unknown. Needs finishing funds for new filming of scenes from the Superman script, etc.

FRANK MILLER'S SIN CITY A DAME TO KILL FOR
In theaters August 22nd.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #79
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Since it's likely Henry Cavill will reprise his Superman role in Justice League, I expect the costume designer to keep the same design from MOS but offer some minor changes and adjustments. I imagine the differences are similar to the costume changes Chris Hemsworth wore in Thor, The Avengers and Thor: The Dark World.
Man of Steel director Zack Snyder said that his and Chris Nolan's version of Superman (Henry Cavill) wont appear in the Justice League movie. “See the thing is, like what Chris Nolan is doing and what I’m doing with Superman and what they’ll do with Justice League will be just it’s own thing with it’s own Batman and it's own Superman, and so we’ll be over here with our movie, so they’ll kind of get to do it twice which is kind of cool.”
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Man of Steel writer David Goyer said that he and producer Christopher Nolan are trying to make their Superman grounded in the real world (rather than grounded in the DC Universe), “What Christopher Nolan and I have done with Superman is try to bring the same naturalistic approach that we adopted for the Batman trilogy. We always had a naturalistic approach, we want our stories to be rooted in reality, like they could happen in the same world we live in. It’s not that easy with Superman, and actually this doesn’t necessarily mean we will make a dark movie. But working on this reboot we are thinking about what would happen if a story like this one actually happened. How would people react to this? What impact would the presence of Superman in the real world have? What I really like to do is write ‘genre’ stories without a cartoonish element. I did the same with Da Vinci’s Demons, and I’ll do the same with Man of Steel.”
http://collider.com/superman-man-of-...erview/199144/
Man of Steel director Zack Snyder said, "Superman lives in the real world. And it probably will be the most ‘real’ movie I’ve made."
http://hudlinentertainment.com/smf/i...ic=8289.0;wap2
Poking some fun at the concept of a superhero group that would have Batman standing alongside Green Lantern, Christian Bale and his 3:10 to Yuma co-star Russell Crowe teased that perhaps Russell Crowe could play Robin. But getting serious for a moment, Christian Bale said, “We’ve done something very good with our Batman, and so I would not do anything that wasn’t in keeping with what we were doing,” Bale explained. Reminded that Justice League would feature a different director, Bale added: “No, that’d be a whole different world. It wouldn’t work.”
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/08/23...ustice-league/
Nolan: “I don’t think our Batman, our Gotham, lends itself to that kind of cross-fertilization. It goes back to one of the first things we wrangled with when we first started putting the story together: Is this a world in which comic books already exist? Is this a world in which superheroes already exist? If you think of Batman Begins and you think of the philosophy of this character trying to reinvent himself as a symbol, we took the position — we didn’t address it directly in the film, but we did take the position philosophically — that superheroes simply don’t exist. If they did, if Bruce knew of Superman or even of comic books, then that’s a completely different decision that he’s making when he puts on a costume in an attempt to become a symbol. It’s a paradox and a conundrum, but what we did is go back to the very original concept and idea of the character. In his first appearances, he invents himself as a totally original creation.”
GB: "That doesn’t lend itself to having him swing on a rope across the Metropolis skyline."
Nolan: "No, correct, it’s a different universe."
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2008/...ristopher-n-2/

Release date unknown. Needs finishing funds for new filming of scenes from the Superman script, etc.

In theaters August 22nd.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #80
DaveMoral
Side-Kick

^You do realize that the most recent statements from Snyder as SDCC suggested MOS would be a lead in to JL, right?

DaveMoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #81
DaveMoral
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
I just think wearing a costume just because you have superpowers is a dumb reason. Other than Daredevil, I can't think of a single superhero movie where the character wore a costume just because. There has always been an obvious, practical or symbolic reason for it. I'd be fine with a scenario where it starts out as a special running suit and he changes later on because he feels like he made an impact and wants the public to view him as a superhero or something.
How about Superman inspires others?

Old 10-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #82
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSha View Post
This ^ is awesome. This is what I want. (except for the flipper feet. Unless I'm looking at it wrong)

I'm not a fan of the classic WW costume, never have been. I can't stand the star spangled underwear.

New 52 costumes all the way. This WW is even better though, mostly because of the skirt and the hairstyle that doesn't look like it's from a different decade.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #83
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMoral View Post
Well I wasn't talking about Superman, only the Flash.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #84
DaveMoral
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
Well I wasn't talking about Superman, only the Flash.
That's what I mean though. Superman inspires the costumed hero. Which is why they all end up with a crest of some sort on their chests. Flash, in this case.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #85
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:
^You do realize that the most recent statements from Snyder as SDCC suggested MOS would be a lead in to JL, right?
I realize that the most recent statement from Man of Steel director Zack Snyder at the San-Diego Comic-Con only stated that, "We know that Superman is the jewel in the DC crown. What we're trying to do is to get his house in order and then we'll see what happens." And I realize that some fanboys are reading into that statement to mean that Nolan's and Snyder's Superman will be in the Justice League, even though Snyder already made it clear that, "Justice League will be just it’s own thing with it’s own Batman and it's own Superman."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmb...?newsfeed=true

In theaters August 22nd.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #86
DaveMoral
Side-Kick

That Snyder quote was an answer to a question about Justice League.

Things change, I wouldn't take what was said 3 years ago as gospel truth. If they want to do JLA right, they'll have Cavill on board because the GA will be all "WTF?"

Old 10-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #87
RadioSha
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
This ^ is awesome. This is what I want. (except for the flipper feet. Unless I'm looking at it wrong)

I'm not a fan of the classic WW costume, never have been. I can't stand the star spangled underwear.

New 52 costumes all the way. This WW is even better though, mostly because of the skirt and the hairstyle that doesn't look like it's from a different decade.
The flipper feet was not part of my concept. Pure laziness lol I apologize

And thank you!

RadioSha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #88
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:
That Snyder quote was an answer to a question about Justice League.
I know that was an answer to a question from a fan about whether a Justice League film will happen. I don't read into that statement to mean that Nolan's and Snyder's Superman will be in the Justice League.

Quote:
Things change, I wouldn't take what was said 3 years ago as gospel truth. If they want to do JLA right, they'll have Cavill on board because the GA will be all "WTF?"
Like it or not, it was just last year at the Sucker Punch movie premiere in London (March 30th, 2011) that Snyder said, "Justice League will be just it’s own thing with it’s own Batman and it's own Superman." And I do take what he said as the truth. As with Nolan's Batman (Bale), I wouldn't get your hopes up to see Nolan and Snyder's Superman (Cavill) in the Justice League.

In theaters August 22nd.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 10-20-2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #89
Lando81
Formerly Hazmat81

Mark my words, Cavill will be Supes in the Justice League movie. Especially since it's being fast tracked for 2015. No way they'd risk confusing the masses by having a different lead 2 years after the last appearance of the character.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #90
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Out of all the costumes for a JL film, I'd be interested in the direction they'd take Wonder Woman most of all. And the overall treatment, too. If they can do it successfully I'd be all for a solo film.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:04 AM   #91
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
The second Captain America costume is more altered.

The third Captain America costume is closer to the comics than the second costume, although not as faithful as the first costume.

Seeing the CA:FA costume and the Avengers costume together really shows just how stupid the Avengers costume looks to me. They went full on comic book when they should have found a more middle ground design. Looks ridiculous.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:57 AM   #92
Zeerola
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Seeing the CA:FA costume and the Avengers costume together really shows just how stupid the Avengers costume looks to me. They went full on comic book when they should have found a more middle ground design. Looks ridiculous.
Thank you. I thought I am the only one who thought that the Avengers costume looked pretty damn stupid. While the CA:FA costume translated perfectly to the screen.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #93
ЯɘvlveR
doilooklikeiknowwhatajpeg

yep. i don't understand why they went away from that.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #94
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
I've had this exact same argument on the Marvel boards.

The second you have a highly visible Superhero in a film universe, you have enough of a reason for other characters to start suiting up in Superhero outfits. You no longer have to explain it as "alien fashion" or a USO outfit, or a pro-wrestling costume that was modified.

When you have Superman zipping around saving the world, or the Avengers saving New York on every news station, people who have always had powers, fall into powers, and even non-powered vigilantes, would start to take visual cues from "that guy on tv."

We do it all the time in real life. People seek out celebrity looks, why wouldn't other powered individuals seek out a "superhero" look?

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #95
DaveMoral
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post

The second you have a highly visible Superhero in a film universe, you have enough of a reason for other characters to start suiting up in Superhero outfits. You no longer have to explain it as "alien fashion" or a USO outfit, or a pro-wrestling costume that was modified.

When you have Superman zipping around saving the world, or the Avengers saving New York on every news station, people who have always had powers, fall into powers, and even non-powered vigilantes, would start to take visual cues from "that guy on tv."

We do it all the time in real life. People seek out celebrity looks, why wouldn't other powered individuals seek out a "superhero" look?
Exactly. It also is a nice nod to the truth of superhero costuming. Every superhero since 1938 has been inspired by Superman's design. The crest on the chest, cape, riding boots, outside trunks. Even Cap.

It's never been explained in that way in comics, but in a movie? Makes perfect sense.

Though I have no idea how to build that into JL or a spin-off solo film. Maybe only do it directly with the Flash, since GL's uniform is alien(I guess you could consider the Guardians' style inspired the Kryptonians) and WW's costume is.Amazonian. it would be hokey for Batman to.admit to it.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #96
Boosted
Side-Kick

Quote:
I know that was an answer to a question from a fan about whether a Justice League film will happen. I don't read into that statement to mean that Nolan's and Snyder's Superman will be in the Justice League.

Like it or not, it was just last year at the Sucker Punch movie premiere in London (March 30th, 2011) that Snyder said, "Justice League will be just it’s own thing with it’s own Batman and it's own Superman." And I do take what he said as the truth. As with Nolan's Batman (Bale), I wouldn't get your hopes up to see Nolan and Snyder's Superman (Cavill) in the Justice League.
Sorry, but you're right, he said Superman was his own character a year and half ago. But this summer, when asked about Superman in JL he said

"We know that Superman is the jewel in the DC crown, and what we’re trying to do is get his house in order,” he said. “And then, who knows what’s possible.”

Why would he deny it a year ago and then completely fudge and hint at shared universe now? "His house" is DC Comics.

Boosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #97
Zeerola
Side-Kick

Quote:

I have to disagree. I think it would be kinda silly if all other heroes were just Superman copycats. I mean the "I wanna be a superhero so I dress like one" schtick worked in Kick-Ass but it was a satire/parody movie. In serious movie it probably wouldn't work.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #98
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeerola View Post
I have to disagree. I think it would be kinda silly if all other heroes were just Superman copycats. I mean the "I wanna be a superhero so I dress like one" schtick worked in Kick-Ass but it was a satire/parody movie. In serious movie it probably wouldn't work.
The difference would be Kick-Ass didn't get his inspiration from a caped demi-god who actually existed in his world. Something like the existence of a Superman would loom large in people's lives, and it would be perfectly acceptable for a recently empowered character to pattern themselves after him.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #99
DaveMoral
Side-Kick

Quote:
The difference would be Kick-Ass didn't get his inspiration from a caped demi-god who actually existed in his world. Something like the existence of a Superman would loom large in people's lives, and it would be perfectly acceptable for a recently empowered character to pattern themselves after him.
That and the whole speech by Jor-El in the teaser. "You will inspire them."

Old 10-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #100
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
That and the whole speech by Jor-El in the teaser. "You will inspire them."
Yes. The existence of Superman would be the world's biggest mind ****, and would definitely result in a different mind set than the one we have looking at him as a fictional character.