The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League

Old 01-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #376
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Default Re: What if Justice League bombs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
Mos is about Aliens coming into the real world.J l is shaping up to be aliens and gods on an alien god planet. Theres no comparison.If they are going with the rumoured storyline realism goes out of the window-and i have no problem with that.
Actually, there is a comparison. MoS will have scenes on Krypton and will be exploring everything from their language to their weapons. It's the same thing, and that vague description is still valid. Regardless of Darkseid being a "god alien" or not. Not to mention that he also mentions the script is dark, and you can't get any darker than Darkseid and Apokolips.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #377
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
The general buzz on Will Beall's Gangster Squad script was very very good. If I'm not mistaken it was on The Black List and got quite a few mentions. So if he can deliver as good a screenplay as the consensus for Gangster Squad is, then people should be in for a real treat.

Having said that, it seems as if Syncopy could be becoming more involved with WB's DC projects(given remarks from the Brolans'), and a rewrite may occur.
Yeah, if anything, the problem with Gangster Squad was probably the direction and not the script itself. Although, I haven't seen the movie so I can't be sure just yet.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #378
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Yeah, if anything, the problem with Gangster Squad was probably the direction and not the script itself..
Yeah, from what I've seen Fleischer is getting the majority of the blame.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #379
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
It was over 400 million.
I expect a similar budget for Justice League. $300 M production, $150 M maketing, which would put the floor for success in the $800 M range. I think it's attainable, but when you spend almost half a billion dollars on a movie, you want it to really soar and make a huge profit, vs. making a modest profit.

Not saying it wouldn't get a sequel, but I think Justice League really needs to gross $1 B to come out looking like a smart decision at the shareholders meetings and quarterly assessments.

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #380
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

It won't bomb for the simple fact that Superman and Batman will be on screen together

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #381
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Because a variety of alien planets are unrealistic in a universe where a variety of alien planets exist?
No because the main story taking place in unrealistic setting with unrealistic characters is unrealistic.And there is nothing wrong with that mind you just not vey''Real world'' like millar is saying.So someone is ********ing
Thats like arguing LOTR or narnia is realistic.

Zionite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #382
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
It won't bomb for the simple fact that Superman and Batman will be on screen together
Without the right marketing and without the right approach? I don't know. Anything is possible. That's not to say it would BOMB, but it can absolutely underwhelm.

Think about it for a second. Assume MOS is a hit. Fine, I'll give you that. So that would give us just one established, successful brand going into JL. You can't assume Batman would excite everyone just because it's Batman. It would still be a new incarnation of the character that shares no lineage to the Nolan-verse. So that leaves us Superman, a new Batman that absolutely no one is familiar with, a newly introduced Wonder Woman, a re-introduced Green Lantern after a failed franchise, a newly introduced Flash... who's really just a character people kind of know about, possibly Aquaman... who again, is really just a character people kind of know about.

I'm sorry but that doesn't look like a recipe for success to me. Had we gotten Avengers a year after Iron Man back in 2009, a lot less people would have cared. It was the buildup and the introduction of all the super heroes leading up to it that got everyone excited. That's what made it an event. That's what Justice League needs to be, an event. Either that or just scrap it. Please.

Skrilla31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #383
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
It can definitely fall short of the $700 M plus a film of this magnitude needs to be successful. Not a huge bomb, but definitely a spiller of red ink.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #384
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:

This. But I can't help but feel a bit dissappointed. This movie is way too rushed. We are gunna get batman and supes, and use the movie to introduce the rest? I assume because of the Darkseid threat? This could work, and it could be just as big as the avengers, but I feel like the way WB is doing it, it's going to be very difficult for it to be viewed as something other than a rushed avengers rip off that just happens to be good.

They should ease into this. This movie could make or break other heroes for DC. And I for one am sick of only getting batman and superman movies. Green lantern is my favorite dc character, and the movie was just, not that great.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #385
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

This film is being rushed less than Man of Steel was, why aren't people crying foul about that instead?

Llama_Shepherd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #386
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
This film is being rushed less than Man of Steel was, why aren't people crying foul about that instead?
Probably cause that had such a long post production

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #387
Blackman
King Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
This. But I can't help but feel a bit dissappointed. This movie is way too rushed. We are gunna get batman and supes, and use the movie to introduce the rest? I assume because of the Darkseid threat? This could work, and it could be just as big as the avengers, but I feel like the way WB is doing it, it's going to be very difficult for it to be viewed as something other than a rushed avengers rip off that just happens to be good.

They should ease into this. This movie could make or break other heroes for DC. And I for one am sick of only getting batman and superman movies. Green lantern is my favorite dc character, and the movie was just, not that great.
This.

Me personally, I'd rather see solo movies. I'd much prefer a whole, good, movie of GL kicking ass on his own before a JL one.

It actually kinda urks me when DC/WB is pushing for TV shows for Wonder Woman who has so much blockbuster potential

Green Arrow, I'd rather see a movie too, but at least he's a "street level" hero so it makes more sense. But Wonder Woman who tangles with Greek mythology has so much wasted potential.

I think one of the reasons why Im so nervous for this isnt necessarily the time frame or anything. I dont really see the production of this as rushed. but I am nervous about WB not being able to make a DC franchise without Nolan's name on it (and the jury is still out on MoS. I just dont see it as a good idea to have a movie introducing 3 or more "larger than life/can sustain their own franchise" characters when they can barely get the solo films right.

But, it is what it is.

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #388
HighFivingMF
Welp.

They can still do movies while TV shows are happening.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #389
Blackman
King Kong

They can but so far they havent done a good job of that. And I wish that they would.

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #390
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
Without the right marketing and without the right approach? I don't know. Anything is possible. That's not to say it would BOMB, but it can absolutely underwhelm.

Think about it for a second. Assume MOS is a hit. Fine, I'll give you that. So that would give us just one established, successful brand going into JL. You can't assume Batman would excite everyone just because it's Batman. It would still be a new incarnation of the character that shares no lineage to the Nolan-verse. So that leaves us Superman, a new Batman that absolutely no one is familiar with, a newly introduced Wonder Woman, a re-introduced Green Lantern after a failed franchise, a newly introduced Flash... who's really just a character people kind of know about, possibly Aquaman... who again, is really just a character people kind of know about.

I'm sorry but that doesn't look like a recipe for success to me. Had we gotten Avengers a year after Iron Man back in 2009, a lot less people would have cared. It was the buildup and the introduction of all the super heroes leading up to it that got everyone excited. That's what made it an event. That's what Justice League needs to be, an event. Either that or just scrap it. Please.
A JL movie with Batman and Superman in it is guaranteed to make bank. But you're right it can still underwhelm if the film sucks. That and Batman really is such a strong brand in our culture now that even if they recast him, people will see JL just cause Batman's in it.

Other than that though to your post.

Smallville13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #391
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I think a JL movie is guaranteed to have a big OW, and then word of mouth will decide how it does beyond that.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #392
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Probably cause that had such a long post production
Actually, MOS had a compressed post-production schedule. Scenes were edited on set after they were shot and sent to the visual effects houses to begin work. In the case that the WB reversed their decision to release The Hobbit on December 14th (maybe 5-6 months prior) and had to push it back... WB would've been able to complete MOS for The Hobbit's spot.

MOS is just about completed. The only serious thing they're working on is the post-converted 3D rendering.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #393
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Even still, post production wouldn't help with hiring the director, casting, performances and direction. Which are all biggies.

Llama_Shepherd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #394
DrMylesOBoogie
Side-Kick

I saw Gangster Squad and thought the script was terrible. WB need to get David S. Goyer on this project.

DrMylesOBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #395
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMylesOBoogie View Post
I saw Gangster Squad and thought the script was terrible. WB need to get David S. Goyer on this project.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #396
the last son
Side-Kick

I'm serious. I like Goyer as a writer and don't get the hate.

the last son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #397
Joss Whedon
Side-Kick

Rumor is that the first draft is not very good at all. This isn't great news.

Joss Whedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #398
ЯɘvlveR
doilooklikeiknowwhatajpeg

^ xD

Old 01-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #399
Joss Whedon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЯɘvlveR View Post
^ xD
Problem?

Joss Whedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #400
ЯɘvlveR
doilooklikeiknowwhatajpeg

yeah i like your screen name. you wanna fight about it?