Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 04:04 AM   #826
zenith16
Side-Kick

Default Re: WiiU - Part 1

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Nintendo explains Wii U recall, third-party and Nintendo Direct feedback

(9 hours ago)

Nintendo is currently battling the chicken and the egg of the video game business. The Wii U isn't selling at levels to make it a "rational" risk for third-party developers, but how does a console sell if it doesn't have games? We spoke with Charlie Scibetta, Nintendo of America's head of corporate communications, last week at E3 about the House of Mario's business and future.

Nintendo's current strategy is to get some high-profile first party games out the door and grow the Wii U's install base that way. Scibetta tells us in the interview, "We're confident that once some of these games come out that we have planned between now and the holiday and into 2014, that it will help drive the install base and when that happens the platforms will look more enticing to third parties."

We also discuss the recent Wii U recall, which Nintendo is calling a "rebalance," as well as the rising scene of independent games and the future of Nintendo Direct.

source: victor Lucas's twitter & Joystiq

Last edited by zenith16; 06-19-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #827
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

Being that Nintendo basically made both the chicken and the egg I think they're allowed to do what they want....within reason.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #828
zenith16
Side-Kick

I should have put this up earlier. but i had to head out sorry here it is.

New Nintendo eShop releases: Super Luigi U, Bugs vs Tanks, Virtual Console explosion

(9 hours ago)

The Nintendo eShop is positively bursting with content this week. The New Super Luigi U DLC for New Super Mario Bros. U is out, and Nintendo is celebrating with a double coin promotion on Club Nintendo. Until August 1, everyone who registers the game on Club Nintendo and completes the related survey will receive 40 coins instead of the usual 20.

Meanwhile, the 3DS gets Bugs vs Tanks, a new Level 5 collaboration with Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune. We've also got a load of new Virtual Console games. On the Wii U, Mario Bros and Wrecking Crew make their debut. On the 3DS, there's Defenders of Oasis, Mega Man 6, Sonic Blast and Tails Adventure.

Next week marks the launch of a few full retail games on the eShop as well, including Game & Wario on Wii U June 23. The 3DS will get Project X Zone and LEGO Legends of Chima: Laval's Journey on June 25.

Finally, there's a pair of sales. Little Inferno on Wii U is down to $4.99 until June 26 (9am PT), while Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo is discounted to $3.99 until July 8 (9am PT). Continue Reading

source: Joystiq

Old 06-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #829
Benstamania
Shot first.

Iwata committed to change for WiiU.
Quote:
"Our focus is, first of all, to regain the momentum of the Wii U towards the end of this year, and then we'll try to establish successful third-party Wii U software titles," Nintendo president and CEO Satoru Iwata told IGN. "I believe in the importance of third-party support for Nintendo platforms. I'm very willing to change the current situation." Despite an exclusive agreement with Sega that locked in Sonic: Lost World on Nintendo platforms, third-party support on Wii U is practically non-existent now – a topic of conversation during our interview with Nintendo of America corporate communications head honcho, Charles Scibetta, last week at E3. That same week, EA told us the decision to forgo Wii U ports of its popular FIFA and Madden franchises this year was simply a "rational" business decision. Nintendo COO Reggie Fils-Aime told IGN that EA in fact does have Wii U projects in development, "just nothing coming out this fall" for the system. "Looking at this through the prism of a business decision, if I'm a third-party publisher, what I want is that I want a large, diverse installed base to invest in my development and be able to monetize against that large installed base. That's why, from a Nintendo first-party perspective, we have to drive the installed base," Fils-Aime said. "We need a diverse group of consumers. Not just core, not just casual, but a broad, diverse group of consumers within that installed base, so that whether you're Ubi with Assassin's Creed or with Just Dance, you're feeling confident that your game is going to find a home. You'll be able to monetize your development." Iwata elaborated that while Nintendo is good at some things, the company can't satisfy all on the platform. Some players want experiences that Nintendo simply can't offer – that's why third-party support is so crucial. had infinite development resources, the company may be able to satisfy all – but that's simply not the reality of the situation. "There are huge numbers of fans of Nintendo software, but at the same time, those types of players still sometimes want to play something else on our platform. Because of that, we always need third parties to support us, in order to make our platform complete."
http://m.joystiq.com/2013/06/21/iwat...ome_latest_art Should be interesting to see where Nintendo goes.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #830
Tron Bonne
NEW CHALLENGER

It'll be an uphill battle, since so many third parties are going to be focusing on Xbone and PS4. They would have to convince them to develop exclusives for the Wii U, I guess.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #831
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

It wouldn't be that difficult if sales picked up, at least for as long as games are made for both generations. When more games are made for next gen only, wii U like 360 & PS3 probably won't be able to run them.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #832
Soapy
It's happening again...

I don't know that it's as simple as getting a bigger install base. The original Wii sold like 90 million units or something crazy like that, but for the most part third parties only ever released horrible shovelware or severely dumbed down versions of popular franchises.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #833
zenith16
Side-Kick

It was the affordable price's that time and the fact that people/ casuals were into it cause stuff like keeping fit for so their kid's or themselves so they won't be obese and it kept old peoples minds active and stuff for train other peoples brains as well. If you saw that on all the ABC and north American evening news reports which there were alot of those reports were the reasons the Wii did well.

This time around they are trying to bring back every one else. and the causal were always fare weather. they will come back if it's still mostly "affordable" that they main deal to them price wise it has to be worth it, like as long as there is fun in it and if they see other stuff that interests them they be there.

But that's where micro soft screwed up in a way. they weren't really paying attention to what really drew that crowed even though it was said on the news often and the reasons were plain as day.

as long as it's fun and affordable it'll sell.

Last edited by zenith16; 06-21-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #834
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
I don't know that it's as simple as getting a bigger install base. The original Wii sold like 90 million units or something crazy like that, but for the most part third parties only ever released horrible shovelware or severely dumbed down versions of popular franchises.
I mean install base combined with having good enough hardware. As long as games get dual-gen releases that also come out on 360 & PS3 it would be possible to release those same games on wii U (maybe more expensive to port) and if the install base (& 3rd party attach rate) was high it might be worth it. As it is it's not worth the cost of porting to a unique technology and at some point more of the big games will release specifically for XB1/PS4/pc and then it will be done for 3rd party.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #835
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I mean install base combined with having good enough hardware. As long as games get dual-gen releases that also come out on 360 & PS3 it would be possible to release those same games on wii U (maybe more expensive to port) and if the install base (& 3rd party attach rate) was high it might be worth it. As it is it's not worth the cost of porting to a unique technology and at some point more of the big games will release specifically for XB1/PS4/pc and then it will be done for 3rd party.
If I remember correctly people love unique though. but they have to not put out poor ports period, when it comes to third party. that's the deal breaker there. Nintendo will have to do some thing to make other publishers do as well for the WiiU as they are doing for those other consoles. that's the challenge they face. cryteck said it's powerful enough those other people need to show those ips of there work on it as well. and that's to make hire othe dev studio's that are will to show how powerful the WiiU is . some dev studio's of the calibure of cryteck.

Last edited by zenith16; 06-21-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #836
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
If I remember correctly people love unique though. but they have to not put out poor ports period, when it comes to third party. that's the deal breaker there. Nintendo will have to do some thing to make other publishers do as well for the WiiU as they are doing for those other consoles. that's the challenge they face.
I'm talking about the wii U tech being different compared to the similarities of the XB1, PS4 & PCs. That makes it cheaper to develop for those 3 whichever is lead platform while more work is needed to translate to a wii U version.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #837
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm talking about the wii U tech being different compared to the similarities of the XB1, PS4 & PCs. That makes it cheaper to develop for those 3 whichever is lead platform while more work & I guess money is needed to translate to a wii U version.
I under stood what you meant I'm saying what they have to do is to prove it to them how it is worth it to still make games for them. other then to make another version that will be similar to the ps4 in firmware wise. I remember the excuse that was said with the ps3 . which I also think they might have to do to shut people up that make that excuse .

Since that will be the Excuse for why they aren't puttings tuff out for Wiiu or why they aren't equal versions even though it's doable and they doing it for 360 and ps3. which is lame of those other publishers, but that's what will happen.

But right now they have what they have . They have to deal with what they currently have out . they are getting rid of the basic. I would think with that you would think they are considering making a better version of the current deluxe version, since they ( other publishers )are obsessed with power and pushing cloud systems etc with the other consoles. but who knows?

Last edited by zenith16; 06-21-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #838
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
I under stood what you meant I'm saying what they have to do is to prove it to them how it is worth it to still make games for them. other then to make another version that will be similar to the ps4 in firmware. I remember the excuse that was said with the ps3 . which i also think they might have to do. But right now they have what they have . They have to deal with what they currently have out . they are getting rid of the basic. I would think with that you would think they are considering making a better version of the current deluxe version, since they ( other publishers )are obsessed with power and pushing cloud systems etc with the other consoles. but who knows?
It's a new gen so you'd expect more power to feature and be a requirement. More power or at least same ballpark power is better. You can run more games as well as all the quirky ****. Didn't people used to enjoy playing non Nintendo games on their Nintendo consoles? SNES!

Anyway too late for that now. I think they have to focus on being a great Nintendo console that caters perfectly to all their hardcore fans & once a big price drop comes in there should be enough top games for PS4 or XB1 guys to choose it as their secondary.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #839
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's a new gen so you'd expect more power to feature and be a requirement. More power or at least same ballpark power is better. You can run more games as well as all the quirky ****. Didn't people used to enjoy playing non Nintendo games on their Nintendo consoles? SNES!

Anyway too late for that now. I think they have to focus on being a great Nintendo console that caters perfectly to all their hardcore fans & once a big price drop comes in there should be enough top games for PS4 or XB1 guys to choose it as their secondary.
I'm sure the Wiiu will be picked up as a secondary . how ever it's about what can be done exclusive wise for both their main and third party. and that was what I was getting at with all that I said. more titles like X and Bayonetta 2 need to be done for it.

If they can pick up new dev studios for third party as much as their first and show how those publishers that aren't porting to the best of their ability (besides Ubisoft who's actually is doing their best and square to a small degree) to shame when they have no trouble doing so for the 360 and ps3 , the rest will role in. That's what needs to be done . people will only come to it cause of the quality of the games. they they have to all be done well. so as I said up top people have to be ask for more then just Mario, and Zelda all the time. As i said that's fine we do need those. But new stuff is needed also and done in equal terms.

Last edited by zenith16; 06-21-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #840
zenith16
Side-Kick

Conker Creator Bringing The Unlikely Legend Of Rusty Pup To Wii U

News
on Jun 21, 2013 at 03:26 PM

The creator of Conker's Bad Fur Day is developing a new 2D platformer with a sad tale.
... More

source: GI

they should bring back conkers bad fur day.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #841
zenith16
Side-Kick

Dreamfall Chapters gameplay footage is looking very pretty indeed

6 Comments
at 12:22am June 26 2013

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The developers at Red Thread Games have a talent for crafting scummy futuristic places that you really, really want to visit. They did it with both The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, and they’re reusing the classic formula again in Dreamfall Chapters. This latest gameplay footage of the Kickstarter-funded sequel shows off a sinister section of Prague.

Dreamfall Chapters Headed To Next-Gen Consoles; Wii U Is A Maybe. June 26, 2013 . 1:50pm

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey is currently in development for PC, but the game is also likely headed to next-gen consoles.

Quote:

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey is currently in development for PC, but the game is also likely headed to next-gen consoles, according to lead developer Ragnar Tørnquist.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Tørnquist shared, “We are preparing to go to consoles, without officially announcing anything. We are keen on getting this game to as many people as possible.”

Negotiations seem the farthest along with Sony thus far, with Microsoft and Nintendo in talks with the development studio, Red Thread Games. While an Xbox One release seems likely, the Wii U may or may not end up getting the game.

“We are also in dialogue with Nintendo,” Tørnquist revealed. “We’re going to be looking at it. We can’t make any promises because the the Wii U, it’s underpowered compared to the next-gen consoles and PC obviously—I don’t think that’s a secret or Nintendo would get upset at me.”

“We’re going to look at getting the game running on Wii U and then we’ll make decisions depending on how that goes and what we see the market possibilities are doing. Like I said, we don’t want to exclude anything, so we’ll try anything.”

You can watch a recent development panel from the Rezzed 2013 event during which Tornquist and other members of the development team discussed new content in Dreamfall Chapters, courtesy of Eurogamer, above.

source: pc gamer & Siliconera

Justified

Last edited by zenith16; 06-26-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #842
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Underpowered, that is the thing people are always gonna fixate on unfortunately.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #843
zenith16
Side-Kick

And that becomes deflated once they hear that the people at cryteck say that's isn't so at all. it just needs more titles like this one that will need to show that off . and if Ubisoft delivers they have shut up even more . So Nintendo the offer was made, time to pick this up as you said you planned to do with this since last week . This is where to start.

Last edited by zenith16; 06-26-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #844
Tron Bonne
NEW CHALLENGER

When people say it's underpowered, they are talking about in comparison to next gen consoles (PS4/Bone). In comparison to the PS3/360, it's fine, but people will naturally lump it in with the former, since it was released as a successor to the Wii. So, the argument shouldn't be about it's power, it should be more about how Nintendo is not even participating in the console race anymore; they're doing their own thing. It's a pro, and it's a con.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #845
zenith16
Side-Kick

I'm very aware of what they mean even when some don't think I do. especially since i've state other wise in other threads. the problem those same people say that like some certain developers but also think the Wiiu can't handle what the 360 and ps3 can handle ether cause of the shovel ware crap that happened with the Wii and what EA pulled after the origin fall out for the WiiU. and yet wii u was made to be more powerful then the 360 and ps3. also yet they have no problem putting the same stuff on the 360 and ps3 no matter what. but ok then.

As I said before, this is some thing Nintendo has to step up to the plate to do. and do some thing more anything that play a game that melt's most computer system as most cysis games have been known to do shouldn't be called under powered. it's a know fact through out the dev 's of making games. a very known one.

Last edited by zenith16; 06-26-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #846
Tron Bonne
NEW CHALLENGER

Okay, I guess, but I don't think most people are grouping it in with the PS3/360 when the concept of power is brought up.

Quote:
Old 06-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #847
zenith16
Side-Kick

No, but people think it's lesser then even those two older systems cause of what happened with the shovel ware with the Wii. The WiiU is most likely just under the ps4 and XB1 as I've stated in the Destiny thread and I know other people that have actually worked on the system have stated it is in fact so.

I think the WiiU will need a larger hard drive and if they do that they need a better version of the current deluxe version that they currently have and they will need cloud, so we won't have to hear the Excuse from dev's that don't want make a thing for the WiiU cause they are obsessed with talking about stuff like that.

Again that's up to Nintendo to do and I hope they are thinking about that. if they are going as far as to phase out the basic, I seriously hope they are thinking about doing that. if only to shut some certain fools mouths up. Most the dev's that took to well EA's over ***** fest over a bad online sale system.

Last edited by zenith16; 06-26-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #848
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

I don't understand why being less powerful than the other next-gen consoles is a problem... the PC was a lot more powerful than the PS3/360, the developers were just forced to put more effort into the console versions of games.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 06-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #849
Tron Bonne
NEW CHALLENGER

You have to think of this way. When you have systems of relative close powers, it makes it easier to both A) port from one system to another or B) to develop them jointly. When you have a system that's significantly less powerful, you can't do that. You essentially have to put more time and resources to make an entirely separate game. The best example of this would be Ghostbusters from a few years back. The PS3 and 360 versions were identical, but they created an entirely different graphical style for the Wii version, basically creating a different game for that system. Yes, you can then say it all comes down to companies doing that, but that is more time, more money, and often involves bringing in more parties to make sure the third wheel version is done on time.

The PC analogy doesn't work on a lot of levels, since PC gaming and development fluctuates based on hardward and such.

Quote:

Last edited by Tron Bonne; 07-02-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #850
zenith16
Side-Kick

Fans Petition Nintendo To End Region Locking

source:IGN

Closed Thread