The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Nintendo

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #851
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Default Re: WiiU - Part 1

Wii U is definitely more powerful than 360 & PS3 so should be getting all the multiplatform games that they are getting. The PS3/360 standard was the accepted level of gaming last gen and PS4/XB1 is expected to be the standarad for next gen. Whether someone is underpowered or overpowered from that, most console titles will be targeted to this standard so anything that is well below that may struggle and anything that is a way above that will be underutilised. It should mean that these new consoles will raise the quality of pc (multiplatform) gaming also.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #852
Tron Bonne
Climaxing

Well, should be, but it depends on sales. EA has pretty much unplugged from it, and Ubisoft, which has been the Wii U's biggest third party supporter, has basically said that this holiday season is make or break with U support. It seems to me like it may end up being a Gamecube situation again if the installer base doesn't pick up.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #853
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
Well, should be, but it depends on sales. EA has pretty much unplugged from it, and Ubisoft, which has been the Wii U's biggest third party supporter, has basically said that this holiday season is make or break with U support. It seems to me like it may end up being a Gamecube situation again if the installer base doesn't pick up.
Yeah, it might already be too late to salvage the multiplatform situation. If that happens I think they need to go for ultra competitive pricing for when their biggest 1st party titles land. Many gamers are still willing to get a wii U as their secondary console at some point.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #854
Havok83
Side-Kick

we'll probably be seeing less and less PS3/360 support in the next year anyway and that wont bode well for the Wii-U

Old 07-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #855
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

I don't care too much if they stop releasing new games for PS3/360 soon, as long as they support the existing ones for a good few years.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #856
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
we'll probably be seeing less and less PS3/360 support in the next year anyway and that wont bode well for the Wii-U
I don't see support dropping for the PS3 and 360 anytime soon. People are upgrading their consumer tech products at a much slower pace now and the install base of the PS3/360 will be MUCH higher than the PS4/XBOne for a long time coming. I honestly don't see major support for the current systems dropping for at least the next three years.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #857
Tron Bonne
Climaxing

I am going to pick up a Wii U soon, but I have to say I think the gamble Nintendo took of seeing if lightening would strike twice with the Wii U as it did with the Wii seems to have not worked out very well. I think it would've been a better idea to try and do a PS4/Bone gen console and try and re-enter the race. I don't know if that would've worked out better for them in the end or not, but I think it could have potentially helped with 3rd party support more.

Of course, time may tell a different story, and the Wii U may end up being more of a success, but it's going to need a jolt at some point to get there.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #858
zenith16
Side-Kick

Nintendo Not Interested In Lay-Offs To Improve Profits. July 5, 2013 . 10:30am

“I sincerely doubt employees who fear that they may be laid off will be able to develop software titles that could impress people around the world,” says Nintendo president Iwata.

Quote:

At Nintendo’s 73rd annual general meeting of shareholders, one individual in attendance asked why the company hasn’t carried out corporate restructuring and conducted lay-offs in order to help offset their recent financial woes.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata fielded the question, replying that Nintendo aren’t interested in reducing their employee headcount, and would prefer to strengthen their business in other ways.

“Regarding why we have not reduced the number of the personnel, it is true that our business has its ups and downs every few years, and of course, our ideal situation is to make a profit even in the low periods, return these profits to investors and maintain a high share price,” Iwata said. “I believe we should continue working toward this ideal.”

However, he continued, “If we reduce the number of employees for better short-term financial results, however, employee morale will decrease, and I sincerely doubt employees who fear that they may be laid off will be able to develop software titles that could impress people around the world. I believe we can become profitable with the current business structure in consideration of exchange rate trends and popularization of our platforms in the future.”

Nintendo aren’t against cutting unnecessary cost and running their business operations more efficiently, but this plan doesn’t involve letting a number of employees go, or publicizing the company’s restructuring plans.

“I also know that some employers publicize their restructuring plan to improve their financial performance by letting a number of their employees go,” Iwata explained, “but at Nintendo, employees make valuable contributions in their respective fields, so I believe that laying off a group of employees will not help to strengthen Nintendo’s business in the long run.”

source:Siliconera & GI

Last edited by zenith16; 07-05-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #859
zenith16
Side-Kick

Miyamoto: Manpower for HD development was 'underestimated'

(6 hours ago)

Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto pointed to Nintendo's struggles in adapting to HD development when explaining the company's Wii U software timeline during a recent Q&A session with shareholders. "When it comes to the scale of software development, Wii U with HD graphics requires about twice the human resources than before," Miyamoto said.

"We may have underestimated the scale of this change and as a result, the overall software development took more time than originally anticipated just as we tried to polish the software at the completion phase of development," he said. Miyamoto also discussed Pikmin 3, which will launch on August 4 in North America. The game was confirmed in 2008 for Wii before its development was moved to the Wii U.

"We are almost out of this phase, and we are also trying to create something unique utilizing an easier development approach called 'Nintendo Web Framework,'" Miyamoto added. The Nintendo Web Framework was announced at GDC this year, and allows developers to use HTML 5, JavaScript and CSS to create Wii U apps.
Source: Nintendo

Old 07-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #860
Tron Bonne
Climaxing

I read that earlier, and it surprised me. I know they haven't been doing HD gaming this gen, but you would think they would've been doing more research and development ahead of time, considering it had become the standard outside of them. Just another point of Nintendo just beating to their own drum and no one elses, I guess.

Quote:
Old 07-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #861
zenith16
Side-Kick

Ubisoft rules out ZombiU sequel, citing unprofitable performance

(10 minutes ago)

Ubisoft will not pursue a sequel to the Wii U launch title ZombiU, company CEO Yves Guillemot revealed in a recent Q&A with GamesIndustry.

Guillemot cites ZombiU's failure to turn a profit as the primary reason for abandoning the sequel, despite developer Ubisoft Montpelier's recent experiments with a prototype version. Guillemot notes that ZombiU's poor performance and Wii U console sales in general were driving factors in the company's decision to delay Rayman Legends for a multiplatform release later this year.

"We must find a way to ensure the creativity of those games could have a big enough audience," Guillemot said. "We hope [the Wii U] will take off. At the moment, we've said 'let's do through Christmas and see where we are from there.'"

Old 07-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #862
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

hopefully we get a sequel.. Or spiritual successor later down the road. Zombies was pretty decent.

Revelation 22:20
Old 07-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #863
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh

ZombiU wasn't a bad game, it's just that nobody bought the Wii U

Old 07-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #864
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benstamania View Post
hopefully we get a sequel.. Or spiritual successor later down the road. Zombies was pretty decent.
umm that's not likely, unless they see a profit come this holy day seasons like X mass, other wise .... high immediate sales matter to the people that sell these games . that's what they count as successful . this also explains why they pushed back Rayman legends and went multiplat too.O h yeah this was put up earlier before that news up top

source: GI

Last edited by zenith16; 07-08-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #865
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
umm that's not likely, unless they see a profit come this holy day seasons like X mass, other wise .... high immediate sales matter to the people that sell these games . that's what they count as successful . this also explains why they pushed back Rayman legends and went multiplat too.
which is why this could get a spiritual successor as he mentioned. I can see Ubisoft making a multiplatform release based on this format. Their first mistake was making the game Wii-U exclusive. Pretty much anyone other than Nintendo that does that is shooting themselves in the foot right out the gate

Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #866
zenith16
Side-Kick

In Nintendo case no they need exclusives fun and well done ones, both first and third party. the problem is there was few. as launch titles.

and this
Quote:
nathan.searcy just nowNot surprised. I personally didn't buy the WiiU for shooters (that's why I have a PS3).
Let's be frank. Everybody knows that the only reason to buy a Nintendo is to get games that feature Mario and Link. Anything good after that I consider a (happily received) bonus. I'll stick with Nintendo even if only 3 games get launched a year, presuming that those 3 games are Nintendo first party.
Nintendo is just that good of a software developer -- even a mediocre Nintendo first party game beats 90% of everything else out there, fun-wise. (Sadly, WarioWare was the rare 10% in this case).
I'm not saying there aren't other developers aren't just as good, but I don't pretend that Sony or Microsoft's 3 good games a year plus a million crappy titles is somehow 'better' for me than Nintendo's 3 good games and (fewer) crappy titles. Just because a system has a huge selection doesn't mean that those games are worth playing.
But I am rather particular about me's games. And I don't just play Nintendo games either -- I gots me a copy of Tales of Graces F on the way to me house right now!

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/08/ub...e-performance/

and this is why Nintendo is in a rut.

Anyway I think since Nintendo owns this ip this title is dead unless unexpected sales happen come the holidays. .

Last edited by zenith16; 07-08-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #867
Havok83
Side-Kick

You completely missed my point. It does Ubisoft no good making exclusives games for the WiiU. NONE. It only benefits Nintendo. Ubisoft loses out on so many potential sales limiting themselves to a platform with such a small install base. That holds true for everyone elses except Nintendo. Nintendo owning the IP means diddly squat bc again you missed the point where Benstmania and I mentioned them doing a spiritual successor. Sony owns the rights to Demon Souls but that didn't stop From Software from making the multiplatform spiritual successor to it with the Dark Souls series.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #868
zenith16
Side-Kick

well I just doubt Ubi will make a similar game, like the people that made demon Souls after they made dark Souls of which both are still getting sequel. yeah alot of the time it looks like I don't pick up what your saying Havok, of late . But I just don't see them wasting time making another similar ip with the same game play elements. if they make another zombie title, I'm sure Ubi will make the game play style so different so people won't see the connection.

After all the only reason those people that made dark Souls went and made demon Souls and they are similar is cause that is what they are known for and they are still a some what a new studio that's about all they can do while they are Expanding them selves. Ubi on the other hand has more resource and more talented people that wont put out the same thing cause they can afford not to do so, cause that not all they can do.

They won't do this same type of approach again. Ubi unlike the people that made dark Souls and demon Souls is a publisher. and it's an "if they feel like it thing as well." real creative people like to do new and different stuff , not rehash.

and this was just put up on GI

Quote:
Our Take
We're fans of the Wii U, and have high expectations for the future of the console, even if we weren't big fans of ZombiU. It's hard to argue with numbers, however, and if Ubisoft is struggling to sell games on the system, it's likely other third-party publishers and developers are as well.Every new console has its growing pains, but the Wii U's seem to be particularly painful. That being said, it will take a lot to knock over a giant as imposing as Nintendo. People might be vocal with complaints about Nintendo playing it safe by announcing so many returns to familiar franchises at E3, but what they say with their wallets is typically contradictory. Nintendo is still in the game, even if it is having a hard time.
from:Report: ZombiU Sequel Unlikely Due To Lack Of Profitability

Last edited by zenith16; 07-09-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:14 AM   #869
Havok83
Side-Kick

its okay bc I rarely understand what you write

Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #870
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

Right Havok, like Dark Souls is to Demon's Souls.. I'd like to see the same concept show up again on the PS4/XBone .

Revelation 22:20
Old 07-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #871
zenith16
Side-Kick

well this was put up on EPD.TV/ROTR that the other gamer news shows/sites didn't put up. I guess they took what they needed. any way here's what the said.

Quote:
“We hope it will take off,” Guillemot told GamesIndustry International. “At the moment, we’ve said, ‘Let’s do through Christmas and see where we are from there.’'
http://epdaily.tv/all/type-of/news/z...ns-for-sequel/

Last edited by zenith16; 07-09-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:51 AM   #872
Octoberist
point blank

Nintendo is blessed to have the 3DS. I think the games for their portables tend to be more groundbreaking, refreshing, and geek-friendly then their console games thus far.

They just need a new IP for the Wii-U. They can't stand by the old guard for too long.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #873
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Nintendo Not Interested In Lay-Offs To Improve Profits. July 5, 2013 . 10:30am

“I sincerely doubt employees who fear that they may be laid off will be able to develop software titles that could impress people around the world,” says Nintendo president Iwata.
I certainly agree with this policy.

Quote:
I like that Nintendo are so honest but this is a bit pathetic from a top company. They can't afford to not know this kind of stuff if they want to be competitive. HD has been around for so long that this information is easily accessible with just basic research. The companies who were involved in pioneering HD might make these mistakes but no company starting in HD now should be.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #874
Havok83
Side-Kick

Nintendo is like 8 years behind everyone else. The disparity between them and Sony/MS is astounding

Old 07-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #875
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Nintendo is blessed to have the 3DS. I think the games for their portables tend to be more groundbreaking, refreshing, and geek-friendly then their console games thus far.

They just need a new IP for the Wii-U. They can't stand by the old guard for too long.
True but as as victor Lucas said and finally as we see with GI saying it, this past weekend the usual Nintendo fan has to want more then just Mario and Zelda and it speaks with our wallets. and that's the only reason I'm mentioning this, what they are saying it dead on.

We can have both but some of us have to be more "open minded" for a change, then always wanting just the same thing all the time. and that's why there is a rut with Nintendo, this is the message Nintendo is picking up from us as buyers/customers "just do the same old."

That's the only reason we have so little "new" ip as we see . yeah people complain there's "nothing new" and then look what they do when there is. They don't even look at it. Zombi U was a test of sorts. If people want new ip you have to be willing to try those new ips out after you say that, when they do come.

on the subject of that.

Miyamoto Teases New Franchise For 2014. July 10, 2013 . 10:00am

“I can’t give out details, but that’s the title that’s been keeping me pretty busy lately,” Miyamoto said in a Famitsu interview.

Quote:

Nintendo’s senior managing director, Shigeru Miyamoto, reveals in the latest issue of Famitsu magazine that he’s been busy at work on helping create a new franchise.

“We’ll have Mario Kart 8 out next spring, and at that point we’ll have the whole lineup in place, so I think it’s about time we brought out a new franchise,” Miyamoto shared, according to a Polygon report of Famitsu’s interview. “I can’t give out details, but that’s the title that’s been keeping me pretty busy lately.”

While that makes it sound like a Wii U game, Miyamoto didn’t explicitly state whether the new game would be for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U.
source:Siliconera

Last edited by zenith16; 07-10-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Closed Thread