The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #376
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Well, I mean again it's not like the preview pages spoil anything. But alright, I can understand why he's upset.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #377
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Ehhhhhh, I know they technically don't act as a spoiler but they definitely are a good indicator as to where things are headed post ASM 700.

I do know that TMoB was trying to remain as spoiler free as possible through this whole thing. I know that's nearly impossible when you frequent the internet boards but he's a good dude and deserves the benefit of the doubt, at least that's how I see it.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #378
kbrooksgohan
Side-Kick

There may have been some foreshadowing of the brain switch in Spidermen # 4. It's when Miles,Gwen, and Peter are talking.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #379
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

Eh? Where?

Old 12-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #380
kbrooksgohan
Side-Kick

In the beginning of the book. When Peter,Gwen,and Miles are at peter's house. It's right after Aunt May faints.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #381
Fanged-Hunter
SwiftNinjaFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomSpawn View Post
What if it's just another clone?

The whole thing has a very Sensational Spider-Man feel to me.

I'm really torn on whether or not I want to pick this up. There's a precedent set that I expect Superior Spider-Man to retitle back to Amazing Spider-Man when Peter returns, etc. etc. and I'll want the back story that led up to it. I wouldn't be surprised if Superior ran for (example) 12 issues and then we went back to Amazing Spider-Man #713 or the dual numbering before resuming ASM's original numbering (it's been done before).

I'm just overall really....meh about Marvel Now.

ASM 700 and no more Parker just feels like a time to stop buying Spidey (and let's also note that Ben the clone as Spider-Man was the only time ASM fell out of the top 10 sellers mark).

Uncanny Avengers....the whole stolen brain psychic Red Skull feels cheesy to me.

X-Men Legacy and Wolverine & the X-Men just feel....off. The whole Cyclop/Wolverine swapping roles doesn't feel like it's coming off well for me (I liked Cyclops' more aggressive/militant direction but kinda went beyond reason for me).

For the first time I can remember, I'm seriously considering completely ending all comic purchases for the foreseeable future.

Can anyone comment on their experience transitioning from monthly comic buying to graphic novels? Maybe I could consider that route until things get back on track to interest me.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #382
dusk20
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomSpawn View Post
Based on everything we know about the new Spider-Man, no I definitely don't think it's possible.
thats cool, just thought id put that out there.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #383
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Trades are not a bad alternative, they come out fairly quickly after an arc ends and Amazon always has a ton of deals when you buy multiple trades that are related to each other.

Marvel NOW has honestly surprised me. Some of the stuff it's produced so far has me as excited about Marvel comics since Heroes Return in the late 90's when Waid was on Cap, Busiek and Perez were on Avengers and Jurgens was on Thor. There's a ton of good stuff so far. The downside is that now we're getting to (in my opinion) the crap. Avengers Arena, Cable and X-Force...stuff like that.

I think Superior Spider-Man is going to be a success when it launches late into the NOW era. Whether or not it can maintain that success after an arc or 2 in remains to be seen. Folks are certainly interested but that can all change if, let's say, 4 issues in, something happens that turns them off and they decide to bail before they become to vested.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #384
Fanged-Hunter
SwiftNinjaFox

My comic purchases have always been limited to Spider-Man, X-Men, and the occasional foray into Avengers.

Not including the occasional arcs in unrelated comics (TMNT, Batman, etc).

So right now, ASM, Wolverine, Wolverine & X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, and X-Men Legacy were my prime titles. Just not terribly impressed with the Marvel Now changes to these titles.

I always fear dropping a title because if I get hooked in later, there's a chance I'll need to OCD on back issues.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #385
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
Trades are not a bad alternative, they come out fairly quickly after an arc ends and Amazon always has a ton of deals when you buy multiple trades that are related to each other.

Marvel NOW has honestly surprised me. Some of the stuff it's produced so far has me as excited about Marvel comics since Heroes Return in the late 90's when Waid was on Cap, Busiek and Perez were on Avengers and Jurgens was on Thor. There's a ton of good stuff so far. The downside is that now we're getting to (in my opinion) the crap. Avengers Arena, Cable and X-Force...stuff like that.

I think Superior Spider-Man is going to be a success when it launches late into the NOW era. Whether or not it can maintain that success after an arc or 2 in remains to be seen. Folks are certainly interested but that can all change if, let's say, 4 issues in, something happens that turns them off and they decide to bail before they become to vested.
Oh, man that was a good time. Marvel NOW does have a lot of the same flavor to it, and I've been enjoying the hell out of most of it so far. I'm only reading the big name titles, though.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:28 AM   #386
Spider-Aziz
I like Nachos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
I would love to see Osborn vs Ock-Spidey. We need a rematch to MK:SM 12.
This, this, I want to see this

"I Never Apologize."
Want to choose me as "Villain of 2014"?
Old 12-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #387
shinlyle
King of the Haters

Honestly, I've read some of the Marvel NOW. Deadpool is goofy...almost too goofy. Uncanny Avengers had a great first issue, and the second issue was too slow for me. Avengers blew up my freakin' world, though! Great book! I have yet to try Indestructible Hulk, but it's Mark Waid, so I'll read it.

Personally, the only books I read now are as follows:
-Amazing Spider-man
-Avenging Spider-Man
-Avengers
-Fables
-Saga
-Daredevil
-Batman

I had to cut back, trades are pretty affordable, by comparison.

Check out my art!
http://shinlyle.deviantart.com/
Old 12-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #388
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Okay, after looking at those two preview pages from Superior Spider-Man #1
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Is anyone else getting the feeling that Dan Slott is taping into an Eric O'Grady/Ant-Man vibe with this? I'm not saying it IS actually Eric O'Grady, but this so-called Superior Spider-Man is definitely what TV Tropes would describe as a "Jerkass" And like that other Jerkass, Eric Cartman from South Park, this guy is incredibly arrogant yet pulls a "Screw you guys, I'm going home" whenever his back is up against the wall.

Note that also, this Spider-Man, while willing to get rough and dirty, is not actually trying to kill any of them. That, to me, appears to disqualify Doc Ock and even Norman Osborn who wouldn't have such scruples. What we do know is that the Superior Spider-Man is someone who knows Peter Parker is/was Spider-Man but not particularly close to him (I doubt someone who was would call him "Parker" as opposed to "Peter" or "Pete"), is obviously intelligent as well as articulate, has identical or at least similar powers to Spidey, but is also someone who, while able to handle himself in a fight, is NOT used to regularly engaging in superhuman brawls. Honestly, I have no clue who this could be, although I'm still holding out the possibility that the Superior Spider-Man is an amalgamation of Peter Parker and Doc Ock to the point they become an entirely new person but, at the same time, is neither one of them.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine! --Mad TV

Last edited by stillanerd; 12-12-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #389
Thwip!
Side-Kick

Dark thought (completely made up for the fun of it though)

JJJ wasnt completely cured during Spider-Island. The mutation just regressed and is en-flared somehow in 700...He takes up the mantle, allowing him finally to let go of his hate and jealousy of Spider-Man over feeling inadequate by comparison. He called Pete "Parker" constantly and would run from a fight eventually as he can be a coward at times

Old 12-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #390
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
Okay, after looking at those two preview pages from Superior Spider-Man #1
Is anyone else getting the feeling that Dan Slott is taping into an Eric O'Grady/Ant-Man vibe with this? I'm not saying it IS actually Eric O'Grady, but this so-called Superior Spider-Man is definitely what TV Tropes would describe as a "Jerkass" And like that other Jerkass, Eric Cartman from South Park, this guy is incredibly arrogant yet pulls a "Screw you guys, I'm going home" whenever his back is up against the wall.

Note that also, this Spider-Man, while willing to get rough and dirty, is not actually trying to kill any of them. That, to me, appears to disqualify Doc Ock and even Norman Osborn who wouldn't have such scruples. What we do know is that the Superior Spider-Man is someone who knows Peter Parker is/was Spider-Man but not particularly close to him (I doubt someone who was would call him "Parker" as opposed to "Peter" or "Pete"), is obviously intelligent as well as articulate, has identical or at least similar powers to Spidey, but is also someone who, while able to handle himself in a fight, is NOT used to regularly engaging in superhuman brawls. Honestly, I have no clue who this could be, although I'm still holding out the possibility that the Superior Spider-Man is an amalgamation of Peter Parker and Doc Ock to the point they become an entirely new person but, at the same time, is neither one of them.
What you're describing sounds to me like....

Phil Urich.......but he's kinda off the table after the Hobgoblin arc isn't he?

Old 12-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #391
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwip! View Post

JJJ wasnt completely cured during Spider-Island. The mutation just regressed and is en-flared somehow in 700...He takes up the mantle, allowing him finally to let go of his hate and jealousy of Spider-Man over feeling inadequate by comparison. He called Pete "Parker" constantly and would run from a fight eventually as he can be a coward at times
I've seen both sides of him. During inferno he wasn't running from jack. He was a battlefield commander and that's as an old man with no powers and people not trained for battle fighting a demon invasion. I prefer that version of him, but I have seen both.

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #392
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
What you're describing sounds to me like....

Phil Urich.......but he's kinda off the table after the Hobgoblin arc isn't he?
Plus
Phil Urich doesn't exactly talk like the Superior Spider-Man talks here. Besides, seems evident he'll still be the new Hobgoblin under Kingsley's watchful eye.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine! --Mad TV

Old 12-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #393
socool
True

Quote:

That's actually possible...oh, GOD THAT'S POSSIBLE.

He shows true respect towards Spider-Man during Spider-Island too. JJJ could actually be the Superior Spider-Man. Plus, Dan said that they were going for straight up weird...which this totally is.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #394
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Never in a month of Sundays. I'll entertain a lot of things, but not that. lol

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #395
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

Quote:

I would post proof that this isn't true, but I can't access Ryan Stegman's tumblr right now because Tumblr is down.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #396
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

FYI... I'm gonna stop coming to the Hype until AFTER Boxing Day when I can read ASM #700 without being spoiled...

So having said that, I will post the Diamond List in the Marvel Comics forum ,and to all my Spidey friends around here... Happy Holidays.

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Old 12-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #397
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
FYI... I'm gonna stop coming to the Hype until AFTER Boxing Day when I can read ASM #700 without being spoiled...

So having said that, I will post the Diamond List in the Marvel Comics forum ,and to all my Spidey friends around here... Happy Holidays.

Happy Holidays to you to as well sir, I'm glad to see you didn't pour bleach in your eyes after yesterday's little snafu.

I'd like to hear any of your thoughts (if you have any) about ASM 699.1 before you begin your brief little self exile.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #398
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck

Come on guys, we all know it's Eddie Brock under the alias "Eddie Peterson"- and passing himself off as Pete's older cousin from Jersey, while rocking his 90s Lethal Protector Mullet.....I've seen the truth behind the scenes....I know people

Old 12-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #399
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

Well now that he's gone I can confirm aunt may is indeed the Superior Spider-Man. Dan Slott's gonna be so pissed at me.

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #400
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

That makes too much sense to not be true.