Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #676
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
Yeah, maybe I was being too generous with the "Peter being back within 2 years" prediction. Maybe 2 months. Hobgoblin said Slott likes to pull the wool over readers' eyes. That could be a part of it, but I think a greater part of it is comics (and I'm speaking generally now, not just Spidey) just aren't making a lot of money these days so it seems Marvel (and DC) are just pumping out tons of vapid short-lived stunts with BIG events like Spider-Man dying (again) or Spider-Man unmasking or Spider-Man erasing his marriage that they know will be controversial enough to be picked up and reported on by the mainstream media providing some publicity and a small sales bump. Then when the bump fades they revert to the status quo. And then they do it all over again. The "nothing will ever be the same" event is a very cynical routine that's gotten much worse in the past ten years.
Aint that the truth.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #677
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

I absolutely LOVED the first issue. It was hysterically good.

Watching Ock adapt to Peter Parker's life, and essentially acting like Otto Octavius in Peter's body (which is who he is at the end of the day). The way he spoke down to the new Sinister Six as if they were rank amateurs who had the gall to call themselves that. Calling his Horizon co-workers dolts. The way he tried to impress MJ on their date by bragging about his scientific genius of tracking the new Sinister Six, and addressing her as "my dear" lol.

The ending just shows this "Superior" Spider-Man is still the nasty and evil Doc Ock at heart since
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
he was about to punch Boomerang to death before Peter's astral form or what ever he was stopped him.

- The Joker
Old 01-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #678
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

Quote:
I'm still baffled when people defend the post-BND era as good writing. Even putting aside Peter's new immature hipster persona that was at least in part editorially mandated (to seperate him from any former character development that might prevent the imaginary kids reading the book from identifying with him), the stories ranged in quality from dreck (Bob Gale) to okay, but ultimately forgettable. What story arcs immediately come to mind 3 or 4 years later as being modern classics? I know not every story can be Kraven's Last Hunt, but even the JMS run had a very memorable Spidey-vs-Morlun arc (no, not The Other, the first one). Even Back-in-Black, which had its faults and was surrounded by the Civil War mess, still had that awesome Kingpin takedown. And I still sometimes dig out those stories. No single story or arc jumps out at me from that post-BND period as something I'd ever feel like reading again. In my own humble opinion, Spidey has been mediocre and rudderless for a good long time. Flame away, but just my analysis.
Slotts Paperdoll story was good and Waids story with Shocker attacking the subway that introduced JJJs father was awesome. Not to mention pretty much every story written by Fred Van Lente and Joe Kelly. I was bummed to hear those two were leaving and giving it all to Slott, and this is coming from someone who was really high in Slott back then.

Nightcrawler: ".....British or Japanese Psylocke?"

PSN ID: Gizmo1024
playing Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Rochard, Super Street Fighter 4
Old 01-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #679
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Well Newsarama released some sneak-peaks at the art from Superior Spider-Man #2 and #3:

Well, I think we'll have an idea how Peter and Mary Jane will be "reunited" now.

Okay, they're REALLY taking the Superior Spider-Man is Doc Ock playing Batman WAY too far.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine! --Mad TV

Last edited by stillanerd; 01-09-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #680
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

I think it's hilarious.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #681
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck

I...a Spidey signal? Please let that scene end up being humorous.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #682
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

Not sure if it was posted here, but Miguel O'Hara will indeed make an appearance in Superior Spider-Man.

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/01/09/...099-to-return/

Old 01-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #683
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomSpawn View Post
I think it's hilarious.
Oh, sure it is. Good thing Batman isn't in the Marvel U or he'd sue the pants off of Jonah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
I...a Spidey signal? Please let that scene end up being humorous.
I'm pretty sure it is. in fact, I'm betting the "Spider-Signal" will be treated as a joke just like the Spider-Mobile was

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine! --Mad TV

Last edited by stillanerd; 01-09-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #684
runawayboulder
Spider-Sense...saturated

I think that's hysterical.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #685
runawayboulder
Spider-Sense...saturated

Quote:
Not sure if it was posted here, but Miguel O'Hara will indeed make an appearance in Superior Spider-Man.

Grady still has that "door to tomorrow". Maybe once "Spock" finds out about it, he starts screwing around with it.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #686
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post

Watching Ock adapt to Peter Parker's life, and essentially acting like Otto Octavius in Peter's body (which is who he is at the end of the day). The way he spoke down to the new Sinister Six as if they were rank amateurs who had the gall to call themselves that. Calling his Horizon co-workers dolts. The way he tried to impress MJ on their date by bragging about his scientific genius of tracking the new Sinister Six, and addressing her as "my dear" lol.

The ending just shows this "Superior" Spider-Man is still the nasty and evil Doc Ock at heart since
he was about to punch Boomerang to death before Peter's astral form or what ever he was stopped him.

Agree with everything in this post. Watching Ock be Ock in Peter's body is pretty hilarious, especially with all the over dramatic faces he makes and that serious look he has when he's just standing around that just looks silly on Peter. That shot of him at dinner with MJ literally looked like a donkey laughing. Great job by Slott subtly poking fun at the idea of Ock controlling Peter.

On the other hand, some of the things Ock does with Peter's powers now really are cool. That street wide web prison and that entire fight was epic. Combining Spidey's powers with Ock's evil genius plans really yields some cool results.

Peter being there adds an interesting dynamic to the story. I sort of have mixed feelings, but in a way I'm glad they didn't go the route of completely having reformed Ock just because Peter beamed some memories into his head. He's an unwilling hero at best and is still the same Ock, just killing and scheming against bad guys now instead of heroes. With Peter there to reel him in, it provides a good explanation for why Ock risks his life to save people and restrains himself from killing. Interesting place to go forward from here.

Also really like Stegman's art. His action scenes are great.

Best thing is that we're definitely going to get a new Amazing Spider-Man volume after all this is over.

Last edited by Mr. Dent; 01-09-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #687
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Looks like stillanerd might have been spot on with the Bat Spider Signal theory.

On another note, I'm hoping Shocker isn't just used as a random punching bag. I think his character has more potential than that and he strikes me as one of the few in the comic to actually be worthy of being in an incarnation of the Sinister Six. Though I get that this version is purely set up to be a joke version as they're acknowledged as not being worthy of the name in story.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #688
Thwip!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post

Agree completely with you Joker

Quote:

So excited about this, such a spidey 2099 fan

Also digging the previews for #2 and #3. that's some pretty art right there

Old 01-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #689
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Yeah, maybe I was being too generous with the "Peter being back within 2 years" prediction. Maybe 2 months. Hobgoblin said Slott likes to pull the wool over readers' eyes. That could be a part of it, but I think a greater part of it is comics (and I'm speaking generally now, not just Spidey) just aren't making a lot of money these days so it seems Marvel (and DC) are just pumping out tons of vapid short-lived stunts with BIG events
Since when have comics NOT done this?

Old 01-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #690
Nathan

A Spider-Signal? What the fu...

Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #691
Saint
The Devil's Robot

What? All the fanboy drama was for nothing? Jeeze, who would have guessed.

Also? Hilarious this, hilarious that, I win and you lose.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #692
THUNDERSTRIKE
YOU THINK THIS IS EASY?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
A Spider-Signal? What the fu...
...ck?!?

Destroyer of Castles and Slayer of the Witch and her ancient Demon-Lord.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #693
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
Looks like stillanerd might have been spot on with the Bat Spider Signal theory.
What theory is that?

Old 01-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #694
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
What theory is that?
To be fair, it wasn't so much about the "Spider-Signal." In an article on what I thought we could expect from the Superior Spider-Man, I speculated the following:

Quote:
...when it comes to J. Jonah Jameson, it will be the reverse of how things used to be. Instead of thinking Spider-Man is a “menace,” he’ll ironically now see him as a “hero” and be one of his biggest defenders. Given that Jonah is the mayor of New York City, I think will be seeing a lampooning by Slott of the Batman and Commissioner Gordon dynamic between Doc Ock and Jonah, in that while the ’ol skinflint will be constantly singing Spider-Man’s praises, Doc Ock will privately think he’s nothing but an imbecilic clown that he has to put up with and suck up towards.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #695
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

stillanerd linked to a blog before Superior one hit where he speculated on a bunch of things. One was that we might see a parody of sorts of the Batman/Jim Gordon relationship with Spider-man/JJJ. Though I should have said that as stillanerd doesn't really mention the Spider signal (though he does show the comic cover with the Spider-signal shown).

Edit: Pipped to the post by stillanerd. lol

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #696
WolfCypher
A NEW CHALLENGER

Quote:

Despite how I love S-Man, good GRIEF...do we really need anymore dark/serious/emo/violent Spider-Men? We're gonna have 4 with moody Miguel, gruff Kaine, serious Flash, and humorless Spock.

There goes the "Friendly Neighborhood".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Lauper
Taffy butt! You have a taffy butt!
There's treasure in that butt
I want that taffy butt!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #697
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCypher View Post
Despite how I love S-Man, good GRIEF...do we really need anymore dark/serious/emo/violent Spider-Men? We're gonna have 4 with moody Miguel, gruff Kaine, serious Flash, and humorless Spock.

There goes the "Friendly Neighborhood".
That's actually a really good point.

"My mum always said 'if someone doesn't like you, **** 'em. They've got bad taste.'" ~ Bob Hoskins on confidence.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #698
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck

I'm going to start asking for lottery numbers from StillANerd, dude's a precog.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:50 AM   #699
Will Nolte
Side-Kick

Quote:

I dunno, that grin Slott gives the camera at the end makes it look like he is trying to troll us again. If anything, the Miguel appearance will be like F.A.C.A.D.E.'s...

Old 01-10-2013, 03:15 AM   #700
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Actually, Spock is a quite humorous guy.