Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #751
Miken Ayers
Side-Kick

Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomSpawn View Post
No, I read that part. I was referring to the fact that DC has no grounds of a lawsuit just because Spider-Man has a searchlight with his emblem on it like Batman does. They would lose that lawsuit immediately.

Besides, it could even just be an homage to Batman anyway. DC Comics exist in the Marvel universe.
Also DC would have to prove the spider signal boosted the books sales and that it's not Spider-Man selling the book.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #752
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miken Ayers View Post
Also DC would have to prove the spider signal boosted the books sales and that it's not Spider-Man selling the book.
Probably not even that Spider-Man's sales went up, but that Batman's went down. And parody is very explicitly protected under the First Amendment. Anybody who think there's even close to grounds for legal action is...well, just wrong.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #753
THUNDERSTRIKE
THE DEVIL MADE ME EAT IT

just read the first issue...

whichever way you choose to look at it, good or bad, DESPITE that, what an overrated issue this was... that final panel just proves how Slott and Marvel gamed us all by being so deceptive with all this overhype regarding the "death" of Peter...

or should I say how they "suckered" us all... I had a feeling that the odor of bull**** was in the wind...

boy, did WE all get played...

I am created the Destroyer, Shatterer of the accursed Castle that shall collapse and crumble into a forgotten ruination.
So falls Zehnc Dee'Ya, the unstable B***hQueen, and
S'melya, her suckup, and Sleech, an ancient and savage Over
Seer.
The B***h lies in the guise of her deceptive words and lies helpless in the ruin of her useless life, unable to save herself.
None are so blind to the obvious truth than the misled travellers that gather within the halls of her Castle at Rotting Hill.

TYALYZE
Old 01-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #754
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERSTRIKE View Post

whichever way you choose to look at it, good or bad, DESPITE that, what an overrated issue this was... that final panel just proves how Slott and Marvel gamed us all by being so deceptive with all this overhype regarding the "death" of Peter...

or should I say how they "suckered" us all... I had a feeling that the odor of bull**** was in the wind...

Haha, I see what you did there.

Here's my question, did peter actually die in 700 at all? I mean his body, mind and spirit are still alive in it's original form.

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #755
THUNDERSTRIKE
THE DEVIL MADE ME EAT IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by moraldeficiency View Post
Haha, I see what you did there.

Here's my question, did peter actually die in 700 at all? I mean his body, mind and spirit are still alive in it's original form.
if his body and consciousness still exist, then he's alive, as far as I'M concerned...

so in my mind, Peter is NOT dead...

so take THAT, you Peter haters...

I am created the Destroyer, Shatterer of the accursed Castle that shall collapse and crumble into a forgotten ruination.
Seer.
The B***h lies in the guise of her deceptive words and lies helpless in the ruin of her useless life, unable to save herself.
None are so blind to the obvious truth than the misled travellers that gather within the halls of her Castle at Rotting Hill.

TYALYZE
Old 01-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #756
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERSTRIKE View Post

Yeah, but come on, THUNDERSTRIKE. You've been reading comics for longer than even me. Did you honestly think they were going to kill off Pete?

And before I forget, Kudos to you with all the symbolic references with issue numbers and such! With the emphasis that this was the last issue of Amazing and the Ditko alternate cover was suppose to be for Spidey's first appearance, I was thinking bookending. You pointed out that it was used for the ending of one series (Amazing Spider-Man) and was meant for the ending of another (Amazing Fantasy). And again on the pick-up of the first official full issue of Superior Spider-Man being in Avenging Spider-Man 15.1, mirroring Spidey's first appearance in Amazing Fantasy 15. Again, nice pick-up!

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Old 01-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #757
THUNDERSTRIKE
THE DEVIL MADE ME EAT IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Gnome View Post
Yeah, but come on, THUNDERSTRIKE. You've been reading comics for longer than even me. Did you honestly think they were going to kill off Pete?

And before I forget, Kudos to you with all the symbolic references with issue numbers and such! With the emphasis that this was the last issue of Amazing and the Ditko alternate cover was suppose to be for Spidey's first appearance, I was thinking bookending. You pointed out that it was used for the ending of one series (Amazing Spider-Man) and was meant for the ending of another (Amazing Fantasy). And again on the pick-up of the first official full issue of Superior Spider-Man being in Avenging Spider-Man 15.1, mirroring Spidey's first appearance in Amazing Fantasy 15. Again, nice pick-up!
deep down inside, no, not really... but they sure as hell were playing it that this is the death of Peter and the end of the Amazing Spider-Man title with all this "end of an era" stuff that they were proclaiming on page one of ASM 700 and in the final notes in the letters section...

and then you have Stan Lee himself, who hasn't answered every letter in a letters section for YEARS now, answering each and every letter in that "final" issue... they sure played all that and us so perfectly by THAT little bit of grandstanding...

and on a side note, I happened to notice that out of all the industry celebrities in the comics world reminiscing, John Romita Sr was nowhere to be found with any comments of ANY sort about Spidey or the book itself... wonder what was up that Marvel's art director couldn't put in a word or three?... perhaps he didn't want to be a part of it all?

Peter's obviously STILL around and Otto is STILL an unreformed dikk and there's no damn way in HELL that ASM 700 was the final issue... what we saw in that last panel in SSM #1 only confirms positively what I already suspected and knew... that ASM WILL be back and SSM will eventually fall to the wayside as a footnote/asterisk in Spidey history...

like I said earlier, good or bad, ASM 700 was the Spidey Grand Scam of 2012... and shame on Slott and Marvel for running game on all of us and trying to pull the wool over our eyes with a cheap, overrated and overhyped storyline and marketing stunt...

Seer.

TYALYZE

Last edited by THUNDERSTRIKE; 01-12-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #758
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Marvel did this for 4 months with the X-Men at the start of 1995. Uncanny X-Men became Amazing X-Men and so on. Later that year they did the same thing with Spider-Man for 4 months leading into 1996. Everything became Scarlet Spider. They did it again with all Avengers related books for all of 1997. That was called Heroes Reborn.

Nobody should be surprised that Marvel takes us all for retards at this point.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #759
THUNDERSTRIKE
THE DEVIL MADE ME EAT IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
Marvel did this for 4 months with the X-Men at the start of 1995. Uncanny X-Men became Amazing X-Men and so on. Later that year they did the same thing with Spider-Man for 4 months leading into 1996. Everything became Scarlet Spider. They did it again with all Avengers related books for all of 1997. That was called Heroes Reborn.

sadly, they've been taking us all that way for YEARS now...

I guess they consider comic readers as just mindless sheep...

Seer.

TYALYZE
Old 01-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #760
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post

Spider-Man section at least

Fan of classic comics? Join here
- ran by great folks
Old 01-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #761
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
No, I read that part. I was referring to the fact that DC has no grounds of a lawsuit just because Spider-Man has a searchlight with his emblem on it like Batman does. They would lose that lawsuit immediately.

Besides, it could even just be an homage to Batman anyway. DC Comics exist in the Marvel universe.
It's not just the searchlight with a spider emblem in that panel that copies Batman. It is everything. The spider signal is just a part of it. Every single little thing in that panel points to Batman. You have the spider signal, you have a darker & more aggressive superhero, you have a darker tone overall, and the look and feel of the city in that panel just yells Gotham. Look at that panel again and tell me that the buildings and atmosphere don't remind you of Gotham City at all.

You can pretty much photoshop that image and replace Spider-Man with Batman (as well as the spider on the signal with a bat) and you would never suspect that panel is from a Spider-Man book. If I did that and told you it was from a Batman comic, no one would doubt me.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #762
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
It's not just the searchlight with a spider emblem in that panel that copies Batman. It is everything. The spider signal is just a part of it. Every single little thing in that panel points to Batman. You have the spider signal, you have a darker & more aggressive superhero, you have a darker tone overall, and the look and feel of the city in that panel just yells Gotham. Look at that panel again and tell me that the buildings and atmosphere don't remind you of Gotham City at all.

You can pretty much photoshop that image and replace Spider-Man with Batman (as well as the spider on the signal with a bat) and you would never suspect that panel is from a Spider-Man book. If I did that and told you it was from a Batman comic, no one would doubt me.
Seeing how Gotham was based off of NYC, and this takes place in NYC, the first part of your post is just objectively idiotic. I mean, everything you're saying is. But that bit was just over the top.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #763
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Quote:

I said that panel reminds me of Batman & Robin #01
But Batman is not more aggressive, unless you think ASB&R or TDKR (Frank Miller stories)

- ran by great folks
Old 01-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #764
spidey99
Side-Kick

I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one who can not stand Ramos' art. This is Spider-Man, the Flagship Character of Marvel Comics!!!! Why can't we get an artist who can draw? I see so much Great artwork on some low tier books, and we get what could be a cool story, ruined by Ramos' artwork.
I've said it a lot before, nothing against Ramos, I'm sure he's a great person, but his artwork makes any comic I read of his, just pure crap. My Opinion, of course, but it's what decides if Marvel gets my money, or not.

Sigh...
Keep On Thwipin'!!!
Sam

Old 01-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #765
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey99 View Post
I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one who can not stand Ramos' art. This is Spider-Man, the Flagship Character of Marvel Comics!!!! Why can't we get an artist who can draw? I see so much Great artwork on some low tier books, and we get what could be a cool story, ruined by Ramos' artwork.
I like Ramos penciling, but I do agree about lower characters getting great artists and Spider-Man gets Ramos. Why not someone Superior?

- ran by great folks
Old 01-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #766
Thwip!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey99 View Post
my only concern right now for Superior Spider-Man comic, is if Ramos will be doing any artwork on it? All the art I've seen online from Stegman looks pretty nice, and I'd pick up Superior Spidey in a tpb with Stegman's art. But if Ramos is going to be doing artwork in the book as well, then I'll probably pass. I just do not like Ramos' artwork. Every Spidey issue I've tried to read with Ramos' art, just ruins the story so damn much. Just my opinion of course, like i said before, Ramos might be the nicest person on the globe, but I can't understand what it is he's drawing, and that just shoves me right out of the story. ASM 700? Ouch, that probably would have been a great story to me, but damn did I hate the artwork. But yeah, I do have it in my collection now, from a good friend who sells me his read comics in lots for cheap... But 700 just sucked in my opinion cause of Ramos.

Keep On Thwipin'!!!
Sam
Ramos is coming on to rotation in April i believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
Welp, here's my more extensive take on Superior Spider-Man #1. Feel free to disagree and comment at your leisure.
I've grown to avoid your theories because they're too often prove to have been spoilers :P :P :P

My question is, in #700 we saw Peter say that since he had to knock SpOck out of the window in an attempt to kill him then Peter himself could never be Spider-man again once he deliberately attempted to take a life. So if Peter comes back, will he want to be Spider-Man, will he believe he can be given that he tried to kill someone, albeit a villain but still.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #767
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Of course it would. Because ****ing Batman would be in it. I could photoshop Spider-Man into any Batman comic and it'd look like a Spider-Man comic, too. This is an incredibly stupid argument.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #768
spidey99
Side-Kick

When I see this picture by Ramos, I just don't get it. This is horrible art. (my opinion)

And then see Stegman's art in Aveng Spidey 15.1 of the same scene... I so wish they'd have just had Stegman doing the art for ASM 700, the story would have had a large impact on me, and not thrown me so far out of the issue as Ramos' art did.

My opinion, but it's so frustrating to a life long Spidey-aholic like myself to see what they try to pass off as artwork sometimes. Johnny Romita Senior so needs to come back on Amazing full time!!! (hey, I can dream)

Keep On Thwipin'!!!
Sam

Old 01-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #769
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

That's not Stegman's art, it's Paco Medina's. Stegman is the artist on Superior, not Avenging.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #770
spidey99
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's not Stegman's art, it's Paco Medina's. Stegman is the artist on Superior, not Avenging.
D'oh, I'm posting while watching the game... that and I'm old, and on pain meds. B-) I have excuses!!! hehe. Thanks for clearing that up.

Keep On Thwipin'!!!
Sam

Old 01-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #771
THUNDERSTRIKE
THE DEVIL MADE ME EAT IT

HERE'S a PERFECT example of how Ramos can't draw ****... the anatomy and physique is just all ****ed up...

this is just plain godawful horrendous...

Seer.

TYALYZE
Old 01-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #772
spidey99
Side-Kick

Exactly Thunderstrike... good example.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #773
Mr. Dent
Banned User

He draws like that on purpose.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #774
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

I...can't tell if you're defending him or agreeing with us.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #775
OctoHaz
Doc Ock Fangirl

I'm probably one of the last people to defend Ramos, art-wise; I intensely disliked his work to start with. (See: the "Countdown" Doc Ock arc in Spectacular in 2004.)

Since then, he's kind of grown on me... plus, I do see improvement. His art in ASM 700 was a heck of a lot better than it was in "Countdown" -- in my opinion, anyway.

Closed Thread