The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #126
Adamantium
Your King

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
Actually he says that when he is about to give over the throne of Asgard so my impression would be (without Tyr involved) that this is a very emotional day for Odin most of all, giving up the throne (permanently, I am guessing due to the fanfare, not just due to Odinsleep), and maybe there is a degree of pride in thinking his son is ready now, and now he can get some much deserved rest. Thor has not quite shown how arrogant he can be at that point in the film, Odin says later he is a fool for thinking he was ready. The big question is, if Thor has now proven himself, then what is stopping Odin from giving over Asgard to him now??? My impression from Thor 1 is that Odin is growing more and more weak with age, and I'm not sure just a good Odinsleep is what is going to cure it. I've also wondered if Odin perhaps has forseen his own death, and was trying to get the new king in, and things going smoothly and as planned before that happened.

Yeah, I can see that. I just took it that way because Odin had that look of disappointment when Thor was flipping Mjolnir up in the air and being cocky and laughing coming down the aisle towards the throne. And his Mother was trying to eye motion him to settle it down and looked at Odin's response to Thor's behavior. I definitely can see that with Odin being even more weary than what even and Odin Sleep will cure. I got that from Loki and Frigga talking about how that the Odin Sleep wasn't prepared for and it was unexpected. I suspected he was worn in different ways, such as in his spirit, just emotionally and physically tired of all the drama he's endured in association with all he's done and how he's questioned those things and if he's done the right thing etc. Kind of second guessing himself and the choices he's made. I really hope they have a really in depth story that is extremely thought provoking. Excuse me, but who cares about the GA if they just want some cool action sequences and a fluff Sesame Street story to go along with it. They had that excuse in Phase One...(they could just simplify the stories more to lay the groundwork and draw people in easier). It's all been established and now is the time to dig deep and tell some really interesting stories.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #127
elizah72
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 5

would definitely to see more thought provoking storylines and characterizations, one of my favorite aspects of Thor was the fascinating family dynamics. I just hope it doesnt get screwed up, or lost, in the next one.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #128
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
I always interpreted Odins demeanor when calling Thor his firstborn and teary eyed as that he was disappointed in who Thor was as far as his arrogance and childish behavior.
Not a chance. Those a tears of an emotional father passing on the baton.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #129
Adamantium
Your King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Not a chance. Those a tears of an emotional father passing on the baton.
So that banishment was passed as a result of 1 isolated act on Thor's part? I didn't get that I guess. I saw it as enough mercy. The time had come to let his son suffer detrimental consequences for his childish ways and actions. I've seen that look, also seen the look on a mother's face concerned and widening her eyes like as to say Thor knock it off and then looking on and seeing what the father's reaction is. Not arguing with you, just sharing why I felt that way.

Last edited by Adamantium; 10-16-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #130
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
So that banishment was passed as a result of 1 isolated act on Thor's part? I didn't get that I guess. I saw it as enough mercy. The time had come to let his son suffer detrimental consequences. I've seen that look, also seen the look on a mother's face concerned and widening or eyes like Thor knock it off and then looking on and seeing what the father's reaction is. Not arguing with you, just sharing why I felt that way.
you're both right. to an extent, I'm sure Odin sees the arrogant behavior all along as a bad thing, but he has at that point convinced himself Thor is ready and is emotional about handing everything over to him (possibly also because he is so tired and weakening and is feeling like it's now or never). However, I really felt Frigga's reaction was more of a "Oh, you! Silly boy!"

Old 10-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #131
piccolo
Doom is watching you

Small thing but i'm really hoping we get more helmet this time.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #132
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

That's what she said.

http://myth-smith.com/
Old 10-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #133
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
I could never accept that. I love the Mythology to much.
Yeah but this isn't mythology this is the MCU, didn't you hear Odin call Thor his first born in the first film?

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 10-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #134
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Yeah but this isn't mythology this is the MCU, didn't you hear Odin call Thor his first born in the first film?
I'm not a big fan of being beholden to a mistake in the previous film. It would be nice if they reconed those statements and add some strategic context that forgives the screw up made by the writers and directors of the first film.

TIH and Avengers comes to mind. They reconed the ending of TIH to make it fit with what the Avengers wanted to do.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 10-16-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #135
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
I really hope they have a really in depth story that is extremely thought provoking. Excuse me, but who cares about the GA if they just want some cool action sequences and a fluff Sesame Street story to go along with it. They had that excuse in Phase One...(they could just simplify the stories more to lay the groundwork and draw people in easier). It's all been established and now is the time to dig deep and tell some really interesting stories.
Quote:
would definitely to see more thought provoking storylines and characterizations, one of my favorite aspects of Thor was the fascinating family dynamics. I just hope it doesnt get screwed up, or lost, in the next one.
I'm hoping for a more in-depth story too. I'm sure there's enough to the material to support it. Family dynamics, universal politics, culture(s).

Old 10-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #136
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Oh em geeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 10-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #137
Godzilla2000
Brunette Bomb Blast

I was thinking of this last night, but seeing as how Kurse seems to be the nemesis Thor will fight, I was thinking that Tyr might be set up as the foe that Loki will deal with. Maybe Tyr, being the brute he seems to me to be the sort that would have tormented the "weaker" Loki as a kid, perhaps having some knowledge of Loki's true heritage.

"Ignorance is not bliss"

- Let's go for a walk!

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 10-17-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #138
elizah72
Side-Kick

I am actually thinking that between Tyr and Malekith that Loki will be playing at working with one or both, to take over Asgard, but there will be a backstabbing involved in the end, in typical Loki fashion. He's sure to continue to be playing games with people, no matter where his character arc takes him. Would love to see him instigate a fight between the warriors 3, if he is indeed being forced to work with Thor and his crew. We need to see more mischievous Loki.

The word vengeful used to describe Malekith in the official description is interesting. That would indicate that he has reason to feel slighted or harmed by someone and is getting them back, rather than just be a character simply out for power and love of killing. Even Laufey had reasons to be vengeful towards Odin (he stole his casket, and one assumes Laufey thinks Odin murdered his infant child). To those who follow the comics closely, any thoughts on why Malekith would be so vengeful, and towards whom?

Old 10-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #139
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

lol...so laufey was vengeful towards Odin, Possibly malekith, and surtur. Old man's got one hell of a bounty over his head ahahha

Old 10-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #140
Godzilla2000
Brunette Bomb Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
lol...so laufey was vengeful towards Odin, Possibly malekith, and surtur. Old man's got one hell of a bounty over his head ahahha
Yes, it's the new smash sitcom Everybody Hates Odin. But people really watch it just to see what kind of mischief Loki's cooked up this week.

"Ignorance is not bliss"

- Let's go for a walk!
Old 10-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #141
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
So that banishment was passed as a result of 1 isolated act on Thor's part? I didn't get that I guess. I saw it as enough mercy. The time had come to let his son suffer detrimental consequences for his childish ways and actions. I've seen that look, also seen the look on a mother's face concerned and widening her eyes like as to say Thor knock it off and then looking on and seeing what the father's reaction is. Not arguing with you, just sharing why I felt that way.
You lost me ....

You were referring to the "First born" comment and how he shed a tear. That was a tear of a father passing the baton to his son. Any father would at a time like that .... He's proud and emotional regardless of Thor's imperfections. Not only is his son taking the throne, he's also relinquishing a position he's held for so long. Yet another reason to be emotional.

Frigga's reaction was that bashful "oh Thor!" look for doing something so out of place amidst a serious ceremony.

The incident with him banishing Thor, that was Thor letting him down ... not to mention being openly disrespectful with his "You are an old man and a fool" comment.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #142
elizah72
Side-Kick

incidentally how long is filming expected to last?

Old 10-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #143
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of being beholden to a mistake in the previous film. It would be nice if they reconed those statements and add some strategic context that forgives the screw up made by the writers and directors of the first film.

TIH and Avengers comes to mind. They reconed the ending of TIH to make it fit with what the Avengers wanted to do.
It wasn't a "mistake" unless the writers actually intended Thor in the movies to be Gaia's son. Unless that is the case ( and I highly doubt it ), it is simply the way it is in the movies. To say otherwise would be a, *ahem*, mistake.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #144
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:

I wouldn't call it a "screw up", Tyr's never really been that important in the comics so it's not a big deal.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 10-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #145
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
You lost me ....

You were referring to the "First born" comment and how he shed a tear. That was a tear of a father passing the baton to his son. Any father would at a time like that .... He's proud and emotional regardless of Thor's imperfections. Not only is his son taking the throne, he's also relinquishing a position he's held for so long. Yet another reason to be emotional.

Frigga's reaction was that bashful "oh Thor!" look for doing something so out of place amidst a serious ceremony.

The incident with him banishing Thor, that was Thor letting him down ... not to mention being openly disrespectful with his "You are an old man and a fool" comment.
Exactly. Couldn't have been understood any differently in my opinion. I saw it as a tear of a father passing the Throne to his son.

I would like to find out how old Odin is. We have a general age for Thor...being around 1000 years old (I think it's awesome that he is that old in the MCU)...but I wonder how old Odin is

oh oh oh...you know what I would like? Some flash backs for thor. Previous battles, say a fwe hundred years ago? Or a flashback of him coming to earth in viking times

Old 10-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #146
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
oh oh oh...you know what i would like? Some flash backs for thor. Previous battles, say a fwe hundred years ago? Or a flashback of him coming to earth in viking times
oooh! Agreed!!!!

Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #147
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
incidentally how long is filming expected to last?
Through December, based on a tweet from Jaimie Alexander at the end of July.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #148
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
Through December, based on a tweet from Jaimie Alexander at the end of July.
Thank you!

Old 10-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #149
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Thank you!
You're welcome!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #150
Doc Ock
1951-2014

I just want a good Thor movie with a good Thor story doing Thor stuff in a Thorwesome way that Thorocks.