The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 01-29-2013, 04:20 AM   #301
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Default Re: Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns Animated - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
So far, I think MOS is going more with the god-like, mythical approach to Superman. I'm guessing that showing him being arrested in the promotional materials is more about showing that the film will have a more plausible exploration of how the military would react such a figure emerging.
I see Superman being feared by the general public and arrested as another example of going too far in attempts at realism, and an attempt to create angst in this case, contradictory to the Superman mythos. Even in the early comics by creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, Superman was admired by the general public and recognized as a hero.
From Action Comics #6 (1938) by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster:

From Action Comics #7 (1938) by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster:

It makes sense that the majority of the public admire and trust Superman as a hero as traditionally Superman's very public altruistic behavior is established early on. Superman has traditionally publicly used his abilities morally to assist humanity, helping those in need, saving lives in broad daylight, performing acts of charity, and Superman traditionally smiles and is friendly, has a natural Midwestern charm, looks and acts completely human, is outwardly positive, open, doesn't even hide behind a mask, and traditionally gets positive press reports from reporters Clark Kent and Lois Lane. Superman was meant to be a positive role-model, and to be a positive role-model the people must trust in the moral core of Superman.

Quote:
"I don't think it's meant to be a "he's dark and sad" kinda thing.
This quote from David Goyer is telling, "In the case of Blade, he is acting heroically, but the rest of the world thinks he’s a vigilante, as is the case with Batman. I don’t think I’d ever be good to write Superman because it is the opposite…" [The interviewer says, "He's angst free."] David Goyer says, "Yeah, and I wouldn’t know the angle because I’m so angst ridden, so I wouldn’t know what to do with a character like that."
http://www.slashfilm.com/david-goyer...rite-superman/
Goyer explained in his introduction to Geoff Johns' Superman Secret Origin that Geoff Johns' Superman Secret Origin is a big influence on his script. "In which young Clark is told the truth about his heritage. He races out into the night, sobbing, stumbling through the cornfields. Eventually, his foster father, Jonathan, finds him. 'I don’t want to be someone else,' says Clark. 'I don’t want to be different. I want to be Clark Kent. I want to be your son.'" David Goyer says, "Right there in that moment, Geoff contextualized Superman in a way that I’m not sure has ever really been done before. I had an ‘aha’ experience when I read that. For the first time I was able to grasp how lonely Clark must have been when he was growing up. And what a sacrifice Clark must continually make by being Superman. As I write this, I am midway through my first draft of a new Superman screenplay. It’s a task that has stymied many talented filmmakers in the years since Donner’s film. And for all I know, it will end up stymieing me as well. But I’ve got one advantage that the screenwriters who came before me didn’t have– and that’s access to all the wonderful Superman stories written by Geoff Johns– first and foremost being the Secret Origin issues."
http://www.blastr.com/2010/12/did-da...-give-away.php
David Goyer's Superman script also seems similar to Mark Waid's Superman Birthright, which follows a young Clark Kent as a globetrotting freelance reporter who hasn’t yet become a superhero. Goyer's script reportedly has Clark Kent reluctantly grappling with whether or not he should become Superman.
http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/201...eeding-bullet/

This has gone off topic.

Better Call Saul
On AMC February 8th.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #302
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMan-Bat View Post
I see Superman being feared by the general public and arrested as another example of going too far in attempts at realism, and an attempt to create angst in this case, contradictory to the Superman mythos. Even in the early comics by creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, Superman was admired by the general public and recognized as a hero.

I actually like the handcuffs poster. Because lets face it, a being with Superman powers is terrifying. He can fly, shoot lasers from his eyes and has incomparable strength, among other things. But the thing that makes Superman a character we can like, is his heart of gold, his morals, basically that he is just a good guy. That's one of the reasons I think, at least conceptually that, Bizarro is a great villian. So what I see on the poster, at least for now, is the same character in an updated world, an approach of verisimilitude. Let's see how the movie does.

And yes, Frank Miller The Dark Knight Returns Part II is out today. I'm planning on buying it this or the next week along with the first part (I haven't seen it). I want to watch it in a double feature.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #303
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMan-Bat View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
From Action Comics #6 (1938) by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster:

From Action Comics #7 (1938) by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster:

It makes sense that the majority of the public admire and trust Superman as a hero as traditionally Superman's very public altruistic behavior is established early on. Superman has traditionally publicly used his abilities morally to assist humanity, helping those in need, saving lives in broad daylight, performing acts of charity, and Superman traditionally smiles and is friendly, has a natural Midwestern charm, looks and acts completely human, is outwardly positive, open, doesn't even hide behind a mask, and traditionally gets positive press reports from reporters Clark Kent and Lois Lane. Superman was meant to be a positive role-model, and to be a positive role-model the people must trust in the moral core of Superman.

This quote from David Goyer is telling, "In the case of Blade, he is acting heroically, but the rest of the world thinks he’s a vigilante, as is the case with Batman. I don’t think I’d ever be good to write Superman because it is the opposite…" [The interviewer says, "He's angst free."] David Goyer says, "Yeah, and I wouldn’t know the angle because I’m so angst ridden, so I wouldn’t know what to do with a character like that."
http://www.slashfilm.com/david-goyer...rite-superman/
Goyer explained in his introduction to Geoff Johns' Superman Secret Origin that Geoff Johns' Superman Secret Origin is a big influence on his script. "In which young Clark is told the truth about his heritage. He races out into the night, sobbing, stumbling through the cornfields. Eventually, his foster father, Jonathan, finds him. 'I don’t want to be someone else,' says Clark. 'I don’t want to be different. I want to be Clark Kent. I want to be your son.'" David Goyer says, "Right there in that moment, Geoff contextualized Superman in a way that I’m not sure has ever really been done before. I had an ‘aha’ experience when I read that. For the first time I was able to grasp how lonely Clark must have been when he was growing up. And what a sacrifice Clark must continually make by being Superman. As I write this, I am midway through my first draft of a new Superman screenplay. It’s a task that has stymied many talented filmmakers in the years since Donner’s film. And for all I know, it will end up stymieing me as well. But I’ve got one advantage that the screenwriters who came before me didn’t have– and that’s access to all the wonderful Superman stories written by Geoff Johns– first and foremost being the Secret Origin issues."
http://www.blastr.com/2010/12/did-da...-give-away.php
David Goyer's Superman script also seems similar to Mark Waid's Superman Birthright, which follows a young Clark Kent as a globetrotting freelance reporter who hasn’t yet become a superhero. Goyer's script reportedly has Clark Kent reluctantly grappling with whether or not he should become Superman.
http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/201...eeding-bullet/

This has gone off topic.
That may all be true, but Clark having some uncertainty and angst on his way to becoming Superman wouldn't be a first for the mythos. We'll have to see how he's portrayed once he has grown into being Superman. At the end of the trailer, when he says the line about his father not thinking the world would be ready and him asking, "What do you think?", I hear a playful challenge and a belief in humanity. A recent interview from Goyer:

Quote:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Goyer: “I’m happy that movie [Man of Steel] is gonna be coming out this summer because I think it’s the kind of movie that the world needs right now.”

Reporter: A hero?

Goyer: Yeah; he’s an unabashed hero.
More recent interviews from Goyer and Snyder have shown them making the distinction between "serious" and "depressing", with Snyder noting that they're trying to make something fun.

But yeah, sorry this is too off topic now. We should probably go to the MOS thread if we want to continue.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 01-29-2013 at 12:54 PM.
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #304
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

One of my favorite shots from part 2.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #305
Visceral
Side-Kick

Nolan writes his films in a post 9/11 world. So realistic or not a serious take on the character is that the military would recognize superman as a threat at first, his noble intentions wouldn't be recognized until he takes down the fanatical zod.

I need to know that every single one of you would die for the man next to him.
Visceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #306
Sparta*
~Servant of Shao Kahn~

So what are the thoughts on part 2? I am going to pick it up and watch it tonight, but curious on anyones thoughts if they've seen it?

Sparta* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #307
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparta* View Post
So what are the thoughts on part 2? I am going to pick it up and watch it tonight, but curious on anyones thoughts if they've seen it?
Page 6 of this thread.

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...=397267&page=6

Old 01-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #308
Sparta*
~Servant of Shao Kahn~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
oh oops haha im way behind!

Old 01-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #309
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

To put it simply, it's uh-mazing.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #310
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
To put it simply, it's uh-mazing.
It really is, I think it's definitely the best film so far and in my opinion was better than the book. I think seeing it in action really helps, my favourite scene is definitely the debut of Superman.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #311
Sparta*
~Servant of Shao Kahn~

Im gonna watch part 1 tonight again right before part 2, get the full experience. How did everyone get a copy so early though?! isnt it out today?

Old 01-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #312
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparta* View Post
Im gonna watch part 1 tonight again right before part 2, get the full experience. How did everyone get a copy so early though?! isnt it out today?
I did the same thing and it was pretty fluid. Oh and it's pretty simple to get it early if you know where to look.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #313
Anno_Domini
Banned User

If Ledger had lived, do you think we would've gotten such an amazing Batman vs Joker climatic fight in TDKR like Part 2?

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #314
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Not really.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #315
Sparta*
~Servant of Shao Kahn~

I think its hilarious that bob kane says hes "fair" yet he copyrighted batman to himself and totally screwed bill finger over, thus in the industry when someone doesnt get credit for a creation its called getting "fingered" lol he tore jerry robinson apart but he is no better at all, if he was fair like he said it'd be batman created by bob kane and bill finger, not just bob kane!

Old 01-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #316
Visceral
Side-Kick

I do think Bane was somewhat inspired by the mutant leader.

I need to know that every single one of you would die for the man next to him.
Visceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #317
BattleCat
Side-Kick

Just picked it up. Can't believe how cheap the blu ray was. I can't wait to watch it.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #318
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

I can't wait to watch this tonight. I'm stoked.

Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #319
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush View Post
I can't wait to watch this tonight. I'm stoked.
Enjoy it, I can't wait to watch it again

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #320
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Do you guys think they're ever going to package Parts 1 and 2 together? Or should I just save myself the time of waiting and get both now?

H.E.(R?)
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #321
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Do you guys think they're ever going to package Parts 1 and 2 together? Or should I just save myself the time of waiting and get both now?
I think they will do it... but when is anyones guess. I would just grab both now.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #322
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I'd recommend getting both now, they're fantastic. It's not like having one package for both changes much (unless they sell it on one disc with both parts spliced together into one movie).

Snow Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #323
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

It's going to be really tough for DC Animated to top what they did for both parts of TDK Returns. This was good enough to be released in theaters IMO.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:07 PM   #324
kguillou
Side-Kick

Just watched it. Very well done. Liked it more than the comic (the comic was a bit too all over the place for my tastes). The action was great and brutal. Emerson was great as the Joker and Mark Valley once again shines as Superman. My only gripe was Peter Weller's voice...seemed off at points. He sounded best when he was using his dark, growling voice but when, for example, he was giving the speech, he really didn't sound right.

Regardless of that minor gripe, this was a very well done film. Dark knight parts 1 and 2 are right up there with Wonder Woman and Year One as DC's best animated films thus far. Can't wait for superman: Unbound!

kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #325
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

Holy mackerel! This is 13.99 at Target and Amazon. I totally ordered it, I prefer to own a physical copy anyways. This just saves me having to get it later.