The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #876
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

Not everyone is watching on a TV, but here's some TV calibration tips to watch the movie at greater video quality. You'll at least need one of those calibration disks (one decent one is free, others you can buy retail) or video files at a minimum.
You can always hire someone who hopefully knows what they're doing to do it for you. They might have better tools than just a calibration disk and filter.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #877
cloverfan98
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

Can some one help me? I need to know what is THE DEFINETIVE, ULTIMATE, AND GREATEST VERSION of The Dark Knight Rises to get? Is there a store exclusive I need to get? Is the blu ray trilogy have the best versions of BB and TDK? will the cuncurent dvd trilogy set have the same features? is there an ever better version of the Trilogy coming down the road that I need to wait for? Please help! And thank you!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #878
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverfan98 View Post
Can some one help me? I need to know what is THE DEFINETIVE, ULTIMATE, AND GREATEST VERSION of The Dark Knight Rises to get? Is there a store exclusive I need to get? Is the blu ray trilogy have the best versions of BB and TDK? will the cuncurent dvd trilogy set have the same features? is there an ever better version of the Trilogy coming down the road that I need to wait for? Please help! And thank you!
There's a (hopefully) better version of the trilogy , already announced to be released next year (in the 3rd quarter of the year). Its called the ultimate collector's edition.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #879
cloverfan98
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
There's a (hopefully) better version of the trilogy , already announced to be released next year (in the 3rd quarter of the year). Its called the ultimate collector's edition.
The new version thats out now looks pretty sweet already so this would be even better? Any info on whats in it?

Old 12-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #880
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverfan98 View Post
The new version thats out now looks pretty sweet already so this would be even better? Any info on whats in it?
This one is just a repackaging of Begins and TDK blu ray with the new Rises that was just released.

The collector's one we just know it will be released next year. No details yet.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #881
Dragon_316ca
Side-Kick

I finally snag a blu-ray combo pack copy at my local Wal-Mart store just minutes ago. Well watch it later tonight on my 46 inch HDTV.

Matthew Modine: You can't really relate to Thor, for instance! I like the story, but I don't relate to him -- I can't use his hammer!
Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #882
litobirdy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoxer View Post
I would do the same lol. That guy that's sell his on eBay for 800 alright has quite a few bids.
Dont know where you guys are seeing these insane prices on ebay. If you do a search for bat cowl dark knight rises and edit he search to look for completed listings, the average selling is $80's

Old 12-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #883
blackholesun

Ok i bought the standard DVD version from the supermarket and watched it again last night but i am slightly confused by the DVD's run time. In total the film runs 2hrs 37 mins so thats 157 mins whereas the blu-ray claims to run 164 mins and all sites online have the film length as 2hrs 44 mins also!
When i watched the film i didnt notice anything missing from the IMAX version that i previously watched so i checked an online copy and low and behold the run time came up as 2hrs 44 mins again. So without me having to sit there and watch the film again online does anybody have any idea as to why the DVD version is slightly shorter than the blu-ray release? The blu ray certainly hasn't been advertised as being an extended cut so what gives? :/ Anyone?

Old 12-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #884
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:
Originally Posted by litobirdy View Post
Dont know where you guys are seeing these insane prices on ebay. If you do a search for bat cowl dark knight rises and edit he search to look for completed listings, the average selling is $80's
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Knight-...-/221162510984

Old 12-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #885
litobirdy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
Ok i bought the standard DVD version from the supermarket and watched it again last night but i am slightly confused by the DVD's run time. In total the film runs 2hrs 37 mins so thats 157 mins whereas the blu-ray claims to run 164 mins and all sites online have the film length as 2hrs 44 mins also!
When i watched the film i didnt notice anything missing from the IMAX version that i previously watched so i checked an online copy and low and behold the run time came up as 2hrs 44 mins again. So without me having to sit there and watch the film again online does anybody have any idea as to why the DVD version is slightly shorter than the blu-ray release? The blu ray certainly hasn't been advertised as being an extended cut so what gives? :/ Anyone?
w/o credits its 2:37 mins.. credits are 7 mins worth so adds up to 2:44

Old 12-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #886
litobirdy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
ah ok, but like i said, always better to look at completed listings, gives u a much better idea of how much they are actually going for. He is not going to sell it for $800.. even has 5 offers pending lol..

Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #887
blackholesun

Quote:
w/o credits its 2:37 mins.. credits are 7 mins worth so adds up to 2:44
I wondered if it was the credits but on the DVD the whole film including the end credits is 2:37 mins so this is why im confused! I checked an online copy at 2hrs 30 mins and the film was in a different place to my DVD at 2hrs 30 mins! Whats missing from the DVD version?

Old 12-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #888
litobirdy
Side-Kick

Quote:
I wondered if it was the credits but on the DVD the whole film including the end credits is 2:37 mins so this is why im confused! I checked an online copy at 2hrs 30 mins and the film was in a different place to my DVD at 2hrs 30 mins! Whats missing from the DVD version?

hmm check your blu ray player i guess lol

Old 12-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #889
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Okay, I just typed in Dark Knight Rises bat cowl edition and it gave me a list of all the insane prices. The first one that showed up was the one going for 800 bucks, followed by the ones going for 100-200 bucks. Strange....

Old 12-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #890
litobirdy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoxer View Post
Okay, I just typed in Dark Knight Rises bat cowl edition and it gave me a list of all the insane prices. The first one that showed up was the one going for 800 bucks, followed by the ones going for 100-200 bucks. Strange....
I specifically stated completed listings.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #891
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Still doesn't change the fact that I will be selling mine for at least $250 on amazon.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #892
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:

What part of the world are you in? DVD in territories with the PAL standard will have a shorter runtime than a DVD in North America (NTSC standard). PAL has a slightly different frame rate, which causes the runtime discrepancy. For Blu-ray, the runtime is the same no matter where you are because the frame rate is standardized across the world.

Here is a converter that matches what you described:

http://www.paradiso-design.net/ntsc_...rsion_faq.html

Put in 164 minutes (2 hours, 44 minutes) and click the "In PAL" button. It will then give you 157 minutes (2 hours, 37 minutes). Likewise, you can put in 157 minutes and click the "In NTSC" button and it will give you 164 minutes.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #893
blackholesun

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
What part of the world are you in? DVD in territories with the PAL standard will have a shorter runtime than a DVD in North America (NTSC standard). PAL has a slightly different frame rate, which causes the runtime discrepancy. For Blu-ray, the runtime is the same no matter where you are because the frame rate is standardized across the world.

Here is a converter that matches what you described:

http://www.paradiso-design.net/ntsc_...rsion_faq.html

Put in 164 minutes (2 hours, 44 minutes) and click the "In PAL" button. It will then give you 157 minutes (2 hours, 37 minutes). Likewise, you can put in 157 minutes and click the "In NTSC" button and it will give you 164 minutes.
Thank you so much im such a noob lol i was just worried there was something missing from the film, which lets face it would be tragic

Old 12-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #894
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Thank you so much im such a noob lol i was just worried there was something missing from the film, which lets face it would be tragic
Everybody was a noob once

Old 12-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #895
blackholesun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
Everybody was a noob once
Lol dunno mines been going on for quite some time, perhaps its a strong indication that i need to quit being such a dinosaur and actually upgrade to blu-ray

Old 12-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #896
Travesty
Dats right!

Quote:
Lol dunno mines been going on for quite some time, perhaps its a strong indication that i need to quit being such a dinosaur and actually upgrade to blu-ray
If you don't have an HDTV yet, it's not a big deal, but if you do, then yes, you should upgrade. Plus, Blu Ray players are cheap now.

*Dat Kane and his gifs!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #897
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
If you don't have an HDTV yet, it's not a big deal, but if you do, then yes, you should upgrade. Plus, Blu Ray players are cheap now.
Pretty much every new release Blu-ray comes with a DVD copy of the film. Often the prices are very similar between the DVD and Blu-ray/DVD combo. I remember Inception's Blu-ray/DVD combo was cheaper than the DVD. Made zero sense for anyone to buy the DVD under that scenario. Catalogue Blu-ray releases tend to not have a DVD copy included. But for new releases, it makes a lot of sense to buy the Blu-ray combo pack so you don't have to rebuy the film later on when you do get a Blu-ray player.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #898
Hawkeye70000000
Side-Kick

I don't quite understand the limited quantities of the dark knight rises batcowl edition. I was able to buy one for only $25 and the cowl and stand seem to be made by the same quality as the bat pod edition for the dark knight was made of. Yet, only 35,000 were commissioned for the US, 3500 in Canada, 50,000 in UK. It looks cool, awesome to have and showcase but I wonder why such limited quantities and the case seems to made of cheap quality plastic. I not sure if I should open it or go buy another copy to have to watch.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #899
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

It could just be that they wanted it that way. Limiting the quantities, to make it a more sought after collectible.

Or maybe there was less demand if retailers took a hit on the Batpod Edition of The Dark Knight. So maybe they saved on some costs by making less. Just guesses, though.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #900
ND Irish
Side-Kick

Just received my Bat-Cowl edition from Amazon. I love it but Im considering selling it while seeing all the ridiculous prices people are paying for it. I believe the 'Ultimate' set will be much more worthwhile next year

Closed Thread