The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #951
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,587
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
Because Nolan likes the 2.35:1 aspect ratio for regular theatrical presentations.
As evident by Nolan's heavy use of IMAX's aspect ratio.

__________________
It's like a non-consecutive 24-hour dance party.
CConn is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #952
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick
 
MagnarTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,985
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

The IMAX on the blu-rays are cropped a bit to get it to 16:9. I wonder what the reason is for not shooting the rest of the non-IMAX footage in the IMAX movies at 16:9. Maybe to get the IMAX material to stand out more? Well mission accomplished by the aspect disparity I guess.

MagnarTheGreat is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #953
Tequilla
Side-Kick
 
Tequilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: P
Posts: 1,694
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
As evident by Nolan's heavy use of IMAX's aspect ratio.
You cant forget that the 1:43 is intended to be seen in a Imax theater. Its very different than a normal 1:43 picture projected in a typical theater .

Tequilla is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #954
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,587
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
You cant forget that the 1:43 is intended to be seen in a Imax theater. Its very different than a normal 1:43 picture projected in a typical theater .
Yes, but it was still shown in that ratio at about 4000 non-IMAX screens in the US alone.

__________________
It's like a non-consecutive 24-hour dance party.
CConn is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #955
litobirdy
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 320
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

its so annoying, all these aspect ratio complaints. if you are really THAT bothered by it, buy the dvd version only and really suffer with nasty video

litobirdy is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #956
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick
 
Tacit Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 10,237
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

I think Ghost Protocol had the right idea of having a consistent aspect ratio throughout, cropping the IMAX scenes down to 2:35:1.

Tacit Ronin is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #957
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,587
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by litobirdy View Post
its so annoying, all these aspect ratio complaints. if you are really THAT bothered by it, buy the dvd version only and really suffer with nasty video
I'm sorry we're having a discussion that upsets you so.

It's not THAT troublesome to me, but as someone who really enjoys abd analyzes film from an almost academic perspective, it does kind of surprise me that Nolan and Pfister would be content with such consistent ratio-switching.

It would be akin to a musician switching back and forth between mono and stereo. Sure, as a viewer you can live with it, but its perplexing wht the artist themselves wouldn't find some other solution or alterbative.

__________________
It's like a non-consecutive 24-hour dance party.
CConn is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #958
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero
 
ChrisBaleBatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shadow Moses
Posts: 18,504
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
The IMAX on the blu-rays are cropped a bit to get it to 16:9. I wonder what the reason is for not shooting the rest of the non-IMAX footage in the IMAX movies at 16:9. Maybe to get the IMAX material to stand out more? Well mission accomplished by the aspect disparity I guess.
Do you mean why not film the entire thing with IMAX cameras? Because from what I've heard, the IMAX cameras are very loud. And it makes the more personal scenes where actors are talking more of a hassle. I think, atleast from what I've read, that the IMAX cameras are so loud that if they would be used during scenes with alot of dialogue that the actors would have to re-record their lines in a studio.

ChrisBaleBatman is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #959
Tequilla
Side-Kick
 
Tequilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: P
Posts: 1,694
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
I'm sorry we're having a discussion that upsets you so.

It's not THAT troublesome to me, but as someone who really enjoys abd analyzes film from an almost academic perspective, it does kind of surprise me that Nolan and Pfister would be content with such consistent ratio-switching.

It would be akin to a musician switching back and forth between mono and stereo. Sure, as a viewer you can live with it, but its perplexing wht the artist themselves wouldn't find some other solution or alterbative.
I think the transitions are really smooth. It never was an issue when i rewatched Rises or TDK




Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
I think Ghost Protocol had the right idea of having a consistent aspect ratio throughout, cropping the IMAX scenes down to 2:35:1.
Its definitely more consistent , but from 1:44 to 2:35 its a lot of trimming.

Tequilla is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #960
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick
 
MagnarTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,985
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBaleBatman View Post
Do you mean why not film the entire thing with IMAX cameras? Because from what I've heard, the IMAX cameras are very loud. And it makes the more personal scenes where actors are talking more of a hassle. I think, atleast from what I've read, that the IMAX cameras are so loud that if they would be used during scenes with alot of dialogue that the actors would have to re-record their lines in a studio.
No, I mean, non-IMAX cameras...make the other portions of the filming 16:9 like lots of other movies without IMAX cameras.

MagnarTheGreat is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #961
Tequilla
Side-Kick
 
Tequilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: P
Posts: 1,694
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
No, I mean, non-IMAX cameras...make the other portions of the filming 16:9 like lots of other movies without IMAX cameras.
Because he , like a lot of directors , since the birth of anamorphic lenses , prefers a wider image. It gives so much more information , and is fantastic when you are framing people and objects.

Altough imax isnt very wide , it compensates by having such a vast well defined image projected in a huge screen.

In homevideo , outside of the beautifully detailed image of the Imax shots , you lose some of the qualities of the format.

Tequilla is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #962
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,484
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

I think they should have an option to play with or without letterbox.

The aspect ratio switching doesn't really bother me though. It only bothers me that I can't seeing the full IMAX image on my TV, heh.

BatLobsterRises is online now  
Old 12-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #963
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,587
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
I think the transitions are really smooth. It never was an issue when i rewatched Rises or TDK.
That wasn't my point at all.

You're really in "defend Nolan at all cost" mode.

__________________
It's like a non-consecutive 24-hour dance party.
CConn is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #964
Tequilla
Side-Kick
 
Tequilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: P
Posts: 1,694
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
That wasn't my point at all.

You're really in "defend Nolan at all cost" mode.
No. Not really I am by no means a big fan of the extraction they end up making for Imax. I understand your point. I just think that they are satisfied because the transitions are smooth , and they were happy with the extractions (they probably think about the reframing immediately when they are filming).

Tequilla is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #965
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz
 
BlueLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,241
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

Long time ago, in the VHS era, I had an issue with those "This film has been modified to fit you screen" transfers. It bothered me that I could not see the entire film, I preferred the letterbox. Now, I'm a little dissapointed that the IMAX sequences are cropped a little too. The transitions doesn't bother me, the fact that I can't see everything the way it was meant to does. I didn't have the chance to see neither TDK or Rises on IMAX, perhaps in 20 years in one of those special screenings...

__________________

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #966
Tequilla
Side-Kick
 
Tequilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: P
Posts: 1,694
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLightning View Post
Long time ago, in the VHS era, I had an issue with those "This film has been modified to fit you screen" transfers. It bothered me that I could not see the entire film, I preferred the letterbox. Now, I'm a little dissapointed that the IMAX sequences are cropped a little too. The transitions doesn't bother me, the fact that I can't see everything the way it was meant to does. I didn't have the chance to see neither TDK or Rises on IMAX, perhaps in 20 years in one of those special screenings...
The biggest offenders were the pan and scan. Messing with the motion of the frame.

Kinda crazy how the industry let them do that sort of thing.

Tequilla is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #967
jacobed
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,646
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

In terms of quality. This movie is unparalleled on blu ray. Holy crap it looks so amazing

jacobed is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #968
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,484
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
In terms of quality. This movie is unparalleled on blu ray. Holy crap it looks so amazing
It is by far the best looking Blu-ray in my collection as of now. The IMAX resolution is just beast. They MUST do a new transfer of TDK to match this.

And I really hope one day they do another IMAX marathon of the whole trilogy. Didn't get to do it this time around. The fact that you can't see TDK and TDKR with the full IMAX aspect ratio makes seeing the films in an IMAX theater a true special occasion.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is online now  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #969
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick
 
redfirebird2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,793
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
Yes, but it was still shown in that ratio at about 4000 non-IMAX screens in the US alone.
Do what? TDKR had an estimated 11,800 screen count during its opening weekend. Only 332 of those screens were IMAX or LieMAX. It was shown on an estimated 11,468 regular theatrical screens in consistent 2.35:1. It was shown on fewer than 100 real IMAX screens in a combination of 1.43:1 and 2.35:1. It was shown on around 230-240 LieMAX screens in a combination of 1.78:1 and 2.35:1. More than 97% of the screens running it during opening weekend were showing it in a consistent 2.35:1 presentation. That is Nolan's preferred aspect ratio in a regular sized theater.

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/cha...wknd=29&p=.htm

redfirebird2008 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #970
MessenjahMatt
Avatar v *Pumps Fist*
 
MessenjahMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Photoshop
Posts: 800
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

Got my Blu from Amazon today, Movie disc was loose in the case and skips past the Blake/Gordon scene near the beginning These 3 disc cases never hold that first disc securely enough.

__________________
- Wallpapers & Avatars -
Inception - The Dark Knight - The Dark Knight Rises
MessenjahMatt is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #971
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!
 
DaRkVeNgeanCe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 12,825
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

Sorry to hear that Matt thats a real bummer

__________________
MY VIDEO REVIEW SHOW: EPIC FILM GUYS
www.youtube.com/epicfilmguysny www.facebook.com/epicfilmguys
1939-2014: 75 YEARS OF THE BATMAN
SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #972
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now
 
CapedCrusader14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,353
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

That's bad Matt

I think the Blu-Ray looks gorgeous, but it's not the best looking film in my collection. That's a tie between Blade Runner and Alien.

CapedCrusader14 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #973
RoboAmish
Side-Kick
 
RoboAmish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 710
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

HMV rang me up today and told me I have until tomorrow to pick up the cowl edition I preordered

I never had a chance to get down until now in fairness but it was supposed to be kept for me for two weeks. Methinks someone else was enquiring about my cowl edition and was told they could have it if I cancelled my order. I shall be marching in in the morning to get my bloody prize

RoboAmish is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #974
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User
 
Kane52630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Skynet
Posts: 65,911
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

Got my Limited Cowl edition today! It's so purty.

I'll take some photos right now. The one I got sadly is no. 34,190 of 35,000.

__________________
Short Changed Hero
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #975
Mace Dolex
Powerful User
 
Mace Dolex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,913
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

The DVD/BR of The Dark Knight had a separate feature of all IMAX scenes in full wide glory I wonder why there was no special feature like that with TDKR.

__________________
There are farts that smell bad and then there are farts that smell really bad, if you have one of those real bad smelly ones then that's the first signs of diarrhea.
Mace Dolex is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.