The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League Parts One & Two

View Poll Results: Re-cast Hal?
Yes 128 58.45%
No 91 41.55%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Default Re-cast Hal Jordan for JL movie? Yay or Nay?

Should they get someone other than Ryan Reynolds or stick with him?

Please state your reasons.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Robin91939
Master Tim

Default Re: Re-cast Hal Jordan for JL movie? Yay or Nay?

The Incredible Hulk underperformed as well. Excluding budget, they took in about the same amount at the domestic box office (130/116). Which means that they received about the same amount of attention from viewers... Green Lantern was just a failure because it cost more to make...but it still about as many asses into the seats as Hulk's flick did.

Neither got sequels.

People thought that there was a fundemental problem with the character or that the public just didn't like them...

Then The Avengers happened. We got Hulk in small doses, and done by a director who understood what made that character fun and successful and it worked.

Reynolds wasn't the reason the first film failed -- he delivered a great rendition of Hal Jordan. A Hal Jordan that I think would be a great foil for a veteran Batman or a serious Superman. A Hal Jordan straight from the New 52.

If a director who is worth his salt and understands Green Lantern comes onto this project, he can deliver us everything Martin Cambell didn't or couldn't. And I will take that bet and bet on Reynolds' Hal Jordan.

Hulk WAS recast....but the FILM was kept within continuity. And the actor was recast for reasons not having to do with his performance...

But it's pretty universal that comic book fans don't blame Ryan Reynolds for the failure of that movie. Just as they didn't blame Norton for his. Norton wouldn't have been recast if it weren't for a diva/power struggle between him and Marvel. Reynolds has no such situation. So when comparing the FILMS, Marvel made the smart choice and left The Incredible Hulk as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe's continuity. Even though it underperformed. Again, if Norton and Feige hadn't had a power struggle, Norton would have returned as well...

Fan didn't hate Reynolds' Hal Jordan. Actually, a large portion of them LIKED his portrayal, and felt that he deserved a better script. GIVE HIM THE BETTER SCRIPT.

The major narrative in this very thread is that people "wish they could keep Reynolds, but erase Green Lantern from the continuity." You can't do that...

People are also forgetting that erasing Green Lantern from the DC Continuity would also take away Mark Strong as Sinestro in an eventual Green Lantern Sequel or a Justice League follow-up. And that would be a crime.

Keep Reynolds as part of the team. Keep the film as a vague point in the continuity. There's no need to reference Hector Hammond or anything like that....

But keep what worked. Ryan Reynolds and Mark Strong.

-R

Old 10-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
mclay18
Side-Kick

Keep Reynolds. For the exact same reasons Robin91939 listed.

Give him the better script and a meaty supporting role, and Reynolds would knock it out of the park. I really think he could.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 10-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin91939 View Post
The Incredible Hulk underperformed as well. Excluding budget, they took in about the same amount at the domestic box office (130/116). Which means that they received about the same amount of attention from viewers... Green Lantern was just a failure because it cost more to make...but it still about as many asses into the seats as Hulk's flick did.

Neither got sequels.

People thought that there was a fundemental problem with the character or that the public just didn't like them...

Then The Avengers happened. We got Hulk in small doses, and done by a director who understood what made that character fun and successful and it worked.

Reynolds wasn't the reason the first film failed -- he delivered a great rendition of Hal Jordan. A Hal Jordan that I think would be a great foil for a veteran Batman or a serious Superman. A Hal Jordan straight from the New 52.

If a director who is worth his salt and understands Green Lantern comes onto this project, he can deliver us everything Martin Cambell didn't or couldn't. And I will take that bet and bet on Reynolds' Hal Jordan.

Hulk WAS recast....but the FILM was kept within continuity. And the actor was recast for reasons not having to do with his performance...

But it's pretty universal that comic book fans don't blame Ryan Reynolds for the failure of that movie. Just as they didn't blame Norton for his. Norton wouldn't have been recast if it weren't for a diva/power struggle between him and Marvel. Reynolds has no such situation. So when comparing the FILMS, Marvel made the smart choice and left The Incredible Hulk as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe's continuity. Even though it underperformed. Again, if Norton and Feige hadn't had a power struggle, Norton would have returned as well...

Fan didn't hate Reynolds' Hal Jordan. Actually, a large portion of them LIKED his portrayal, and felt that he deserved a better script. GIVE HIM THE BETTER SCRIPT.

The major narrative in this very thread is that people "wish they could keep Reynolds, but erase Green Lantern from the continuity." You can't do that...

People are also forgetting that erasing Green Lantern from the DC Continuity would also take away Mark Strong as Sinestro in an eventual Green Lantern Sequel or a Justice League follow-up. And that would be a crime.

Keep Reynolds as part of the team. Keep the film as a vague point in the continuity. There's no need to reference Hector Hammond or anything like that....

But keep what worked. Ryan Reynolds and Mark Strong.

-R
Agreed on all points.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I think when you have a movie that failed as hard with critics and the general public alike as Green Lantern did, you have to start from scratch to truly give the character a new chance. Reynolds wasn't terrible, but he was pretty forgettable, and the character deserves better.

I voted recast.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

I'd rather they didn't. but if they do i hope chris pine gets the role.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
Boom
I got nothin'

I thought Reynolds was fine. Replacing him would be casting blame where it doesn't belong.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Is Ryan Reynolds really the best actor for the role?

He was okay but he didn't own the role like Christopher Reeve, Patrick Stewart, or RDJ.

Maybe we should aim for a better fit.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
I thought Reynolds was fine. Replacing him would be casting blame where it doesn't belong.
Didn't Reynold's act more like Wally West than he did Hal Jordan?

Old 10-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #10
the last son
Side-Kick

I don't see what the big deal is about re-casting him. Most of the GA has already forgotten that movie. People, are so afraid of competing with Avengers that they really think people won't go see the movie because Reynolds is not in it. I doubt he even wants to be in it. I'm a huge comic fan and I have never seen that movie more than once.

I'll never forgive Reynolds for ruining Blade Trinity almost by himself.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #11
Chewy
REDACTED

Um, recast

No but seriously they need to do everything in their power to distance this project from the Green Lantern movie

Old 10-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
DaveMoral
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Didn't Reynold's act more like Wally West than he did Hal Jordan?
Nope. He was Hal for sure. Hal Jordan is a cocky jerk when he first gets the ring.

In all probability they'll recast. But it wasn't Reynolds that was the problem with GL.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
batman44
Go Speed GO

I'd rather have Reynolds be brought back.

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #14
Deathstroke
Banned User

Recast. I don't want JL built on a major box office failure like Green Lantern 2011. They need a new fresh approach for Green Lantern that fits in with Snyder's "Man of Steel" and has a similar tone to that film. Trying to fit GL 2011 and MoS into the same universe will undermine the quality of the MoS franchise and JL.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #15
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

Although I did like him better as Deadpool except for the last part where it went all stupid...

Old 10-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #16
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMoral View Post
Nope. He was Hal for sure. Hal Jordan is a cocky jerk when he first gets the ring.

In all probability they'll recast. But it wasn't Reynolds that was the problem with GL.
But if being cocky and sarcastic is Ryan Reynold's specialty why would he be the best choice for a post origin Hal Jordan who is no longer cocky and sarcastic.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #17
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Don't recast Hal just go with John stewart instead. Adds diversity and lets you keep your distance from the john carter of 2011.

Two birds with one stone.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #18
DaveMoral
Side-Kick

Quote:
But if being cocky and sarcastic is Ryan Reynold's specialty why would he be the best choice for a post origin Hal Jordan who is no longer cocky and sarcastic.
He's got more range than Van Wilder. Give him something to work with that respects him as an actor.and not a typecast comedic face.

That said, who says JL's Hal is that far post-origin that he's the serious leader Hal of later years? I think they ciuld tobe down the more Van Wilder elements while still jeeping that cocky "I got this" attitude. It's perfect for butting heads with Batman's grim loner.

I get the concern of keeping Reynolds as GL given the performance of that movie. But I wouldn't see JL being built on the strength or weakness of GL, but on the strength or weakness of MOS. That's the lynch pin movie, GL would be just sorta there. Hopefully they can sell GL in the League and make the movie they should have made as a sequel soft-reboot. And by that I mean keep Strong and Reynolds and make the movie about their falling out and Sinestro's expellation from the Corps. Then do more practical costuming instead of mocapped suits. Do a practical CGI enhanced veraion instead. Start it with GL's appearance in JL.

Like I said, in all likelihood Hal will be recast but I think with the right script and the right director who has an actual vision for what to do with GL, Reynolds is a great Hal Jordan.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:39 AM   #19
Edguy
Banned User

John Stewart & Wally West

I prefer the dynamic between those two, I just feel it's a lot more natural with Flash being the funny and clumsy one, and GL being his serious pal

Hal Jordan, at least what I've read with my minimal comic exposure, is more like a frat boy, kind of..

Old 10-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #20
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

I think if they can cast Reynolds again, then go for it. For no other reason than to help establish a bit of visual continuity...

Old 10-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #21
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Keep Reynolds.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 10-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #22
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I'd love Ryan Reynolds back its nit his fault the script wasn't up to scratch he has all the qualities needed for Hal Jordan.

Personally though I think they'l recast but not Hal they'll probably go with John Stewart.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 10-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #23
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
well thats not all he can do as shown in buried,amytiville horror,smoking aces,safe house,etc. that he has more range than just being cocky and sarcastic

Old 10-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #24
az824
Side-Kick

I'm kind of torn, I actually didn't think GL was that bad (not saying it was good either) but there's so much negativity around it I almost feel like he does need to be recast. I voted recast and mostly cause I kind of want to see Chris pine in the role

Old 10-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #25
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

An extremely big yay. I don't even want Green Lantern (the movie) to be a part of the universe. Superman should be the first superhero on earth and Man of Steel should be the first movie in the universe.

Plus, I didn't like Reynolds as Hal.

Closed Thread