The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #976
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,309
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Yeah, I place far more blame on Whiplash's story.

That being said, I still like the movie. It gets too much flack.
agrees... it even flows better with all the films

i think it gets the most heat basically because it was the first sequel and "true" set-up for avengers, and people didn't get it.

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #977
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista
 
Crimson King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,918
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

I wasn't a fan after the first viewing, but when I watched it again months later, I had no problem with it.

__________________
kingwrites.com // @kingmatte
Crimson King is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #978
Chewy
REDACTED
 
Chewy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,016
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

War Machine, Whiplash and Black Widow were all given jack to do but I don't think Iron Man 2 should be used as an example of crossing over characters being a bad idea.

It just shows that you really shouldn't start shooting your movie until you have actually written a script

Chewy is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #979
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,771
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
It won't detract from anything if it fits with the story. And you can't tell the IM3 story in its own world. That goes against everything they've built with the MCU.

It would definitely detract from the story (and the MCU as a whole) if Janet Van Dyne made her debut in the MCU in IM3 practically sexually assaulting Tony Stark.

That would be a supreme disservice to the character (Janet is *nothing* like that), and would likely be perceived as intruding on Edgar Wright's territory, since Janet reasonably should make her debut in the Ant-Man movie.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is online now  
Old 11-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #980
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

Although I think it was one of the weaker movies, I still think IM2 was great. I'd say it was messy more than anything.

__________________
"Turkey sucks and you suck, and who made you boss?"
Hawkingbird is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 02:50 AM   #981
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,958
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
It would definitely detract from the story (and the MCU as a whole) if Janet Van Dyne made her debut in the MCU in IM3 practically sexually assaulting Tony Stark.

That would be a supreme disservice to the character (Janet is *nothing* like that), and would likely be perceived as intruding on Edgar Wright's territory, since Janet reasonably should make her debut in the Ant-Man movie.
"Edgar Wright's territory"?? It's not his movie, it's Marvel's movie and they can use their characters however they like. The fact of the matter is the Ant-Man movie is going to have very little hype on its own; by introducing elements of it in more popular titles it will gain more acknowledgement from a GA who have never even heard of Ant-Man or The Wasp/Jan.

Now, we know AIM will play a pretty big role in IM3 and possibly Ant-Man, that's the thread that connects them. If Jan is involved with AIM (and by extension Hank who is probably an AIM employee as well) it would make sense for her to be in the movie at least.

And this school of thought that some people have that character making cameos in a shared universe somehow detracts from the movie is silly, especially when those characters aren't even established heroes yet and can basically just act as easter eggs in those films. This is the same reaction people had when that rumor about Strange appearing in Thor 2 surfaced.

Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 03:36 AM   #982
DOOZlovesBOOZ
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 318
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

Id have to agree that IM2 shouldn't be used as a precursor on how cameos will affect future movies. Introductions to other character wont hurt as long as they are woven into the story properly and there acctually given something to do.

DOOZlovesBOOZ is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #983
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,771
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
"Edgar Wright's territory"?? It's not his movie, it's Marvel's movie and they can use their characters however they like. The fact of the matter is the Ant-Man movie is going to have very little hype on its own; by introducing elements of it in more popular titles it will gain more acknowledgement from a GA who have never even heard of Ant-Man or The Wasp/Jan.

Now, we know AIM will play a pretty big role in IM3 and possibly Ant-Man, that's the thread that connects them. If Jan is involved with AIM (and by extension Hank who is probably an AIM employee as well) it would make sense for her to be in the movie at least.

And this school of thought that some people have that character making cameos in a shared universe somehow detracts from the movie is silly, especially when those characters aren't even established heroes yet and can basically just act as easter eggs in those films. This is the same reaction people had when that rumor about Strange appearing in Thor 2 surfaced.
"Edgar Wright's territory" was poor phrasing on my part, but the point is that Jan definitely belongs to Ant-Man and/or Avengers primarily, and should therefore debut in one of those franchises; to have her first appearance in an IM movie doesn't make much sense.

But again, more importantly, in that trailer scene, Szostak is definitely *not* acting the way Janet Van Dyne would act towards Tony Stark, period. *If* that turns out to be Janet, and she enters the MCU by sexually assaulting Tony Stark, I'm opting out of the Avengers franchise entirely, because it would be headed down the wrong road completely.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is online now  
Old 11-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #984
Marathon
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 98
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
"Edgar Wright's territory" was poor phrasing on my part, but the point is that Jan definitely belongs to Ant-Man and/or Avengers primarily, and should therefore debut in one of those franchises; to have her first appearance in an IM movie doesn't make much sense.

But again, more importantly, in that trailer scene, Szostak is definitely *not* acting the way Janet Van Dyne would act towards Tony Stark, period. *If* that turns out to be Janet, and she enters the MCU by sexually assaulting Tony Stark, I'm opting out of the Avengers franchise entirely, because it would be headed down the wrong road completely.


Agreed.

Marathon is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #985
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,958
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
"Edgar Wright's territory" was poor phrasing on my part, but the point is that Jan definitely belongs to Ant-Man and/or Avengers primarily, and should therefore debut in one of those franchises; to have her first appearance in an IM movie doesn't make much sense.

But again, more importantly, in that trailer scene, Szostak is definitely *not* acting the way Janet Van Dyne would act towards Tony Stark, period. *If* that turns out to be Janet, and she enters the MCU by sexually assaulting Tony Stark, I'm opting out of the Avengers franchise entirely, because it would be headed down the wrong road completely.
We don't know what's going in that scene, period. Even if Janet is sexually assaulting Tony (which she probably isn't) it is not out of her character completely. Jan is outgoing and self-confident in the comics and in this day and age that also means flirtatious..not to mention Tony and Jan dated at one point in the comics anyway and this would presumably be before Jan has much to do with Hank besides a professional relationship at best. Either way, that's a pretty butthurt reason to drop the whole franchise. Your loss though.


Last edited by Mr. Dent; 11-15-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #986
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,771
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
We don't know what's going in that scene, period. Even if Janet is sexually assaulting Tony (which she probably isn't) it is not out of her character completely. Jan is outgoing and self-confident in the comics and in this day and age that also means flirtatious..not to mention Tony and Jan dated at one point in the comics anyway and this would presumably be before Jan has much to do with Hank besides a professional relationship at best. Either way, that's a pretty butthurt reason to drop the whole franchise. Your loss though.
Anybody with eyes and private parts knows what's going on in that scene.

And there's a huge difference between "dating" someone and being "flirtatious," as opposed to knocking somebody around and throwing them against the wall as foreplay. Tony is clearly not enjoying this nearly as much as Szostak is; and if the gender roles were reversed, 99.99% of audiences watching that scene would say it's rape.

Szostak is playing a bad, bad girl. Janet Van Dyne is not a bad, bad girl. Whitney Frost is; Justine Hammer is; Sasha Hammer is; Sunset Bain is; Monica Rappaccini is; hell, even Bethany Cabe can be.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014

Last edited by cherokeesam; 11-15-2012 at 11:24 AM.
cherokeesam is online now  
Old 11-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #987
OrangeCloud
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 125
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

There is also a difference between sexually assaulting someone and manhandling them.

Doesn't look like she's doing anything other than reminding Stark of her own authority.

OrangeCloud is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #988
Matarreyes
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 92
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

I am firmly on the "Black Widow and Fury sucked in IM2" bandwagon.

If this actress is indeed Wasp, I expect it would be worse that that. A hot spy was still fitting with the theme of Ironman movies (that are heavily rooted in technology, and have the structure of corporate thrillers). Wasp is out of place in this kind of movies. And before you say that MCU is infinite and open and adaptative, I disagree. IM movies have a certain feel to it that excludes magic and overboard fantasy or Sci-fi elements such as tiny flying females. The fact that the Ironman suit looks "plausible" is part of its charm, and also part of their appeal to the GA.

Matarreyes is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #989
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP
 
Steyin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,496
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

I still don't know what all this "sexually assaulting" talk is about. I've watched the trailer numerous times and saw no such thing.

__________________
I'm just a kid from Brooklyn

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #990
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator
 
Hunter Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Camp Manuel
Posts: 138,938
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyin View Post
I still don't know what all this "sexually assaulting" talk is about. I've watched the trailer numerous times and saw no such thing.
The armor is pinning Tony down in one shot so in fanboy world the next step is sexual assault.

__________________
thinkmcflythink.com
Movie fans, hop in your Delorean and check it out!

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #991
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,771
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCloud View Post
There is also a difference between sexually assaulting someone and manhandling them.

Doesn't look like she's doing anything other than reminding Stark of her own authority.
By pressing her body against his, tilting her head slightly to the side, lowering her eyelids and leaning her lips towards his....? Dude. That's erotica-speak for "we about to get busy up in here."

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is online now  
Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #992
Matarreyes
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 92
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4



Notice how she first manhandles him, but later lingers in very close proximity staring at his lips? Itīs this second part of her movement that looks like she is sexually assaulting him to me.

Matarreyes is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #993
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,771
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matarreyes View Post


Notice how she first manhandles him, but later lingers in very close proximity staring at his lips? Itīs this second part of her movement that looks like she is sexually assaulting him to me.
Exactly.
And if this were a fight instead of foreplay, Tony would be, well, fighting back. Instead, his arms hang limply at his sides, and he looks baffled and confused. *Possibly* under the influence of something here, but it's more likely simply a case of that voice inside Tony's head saying: "Holy ****....here's this hot milf about to rip my clothes off, and for the first time in my life, I can't say I'm happy about that."

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is online now  
Old 11-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #994
Matarreyes
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 92
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

Incidentally, WFT with his clothes and the location? Tony Stark cosplaying as christmas elf in a local diner?

Matarreyes is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #995
The Infernal
Life's End Boss
 
The Infernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 6,504
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
You're right, but wouldn't you agree that not all cameos are "just because?" MCU movies will have small sections of crossovers, and they're better because of it.
Not really. Like I was saying in my previous posts, I still think it would detract from the movie. I'm not saying no to all cameos, I wouldn't mind some, but I think in the case of Janet that she would be out of place in an Iron Man movie. Generally I think that Iron Man 3 should stick to its own story and characters. No Avengers set ups.

__________________
Lady Luck is smiling at me. She knows something I don't.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #996
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme
 
R_Hythlodeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: vienna, austria (europe) 6.784 km east of new york
Posts: 5,377
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
I don't think Widow was the problem with IM2 at all..... Whiplash however....
WM stealing screentime from both BW and Whiplash was the problem. But this was discussed before.

__________________
every Summer
Some Dude **** Sexy Chick **** The Supporting Cast **** Evil British Guy
in
RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------


ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic


R_Hythlodeus is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #997
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme
 
R_Hythlodeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: vienna, austria (europe) 6.784 km east of new york
Posts: 5,377
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

I would be surprised of we see any fellow Avenger that has not been introduced to the MCU yet making a cameo in IM3. I just don't see that happen.

__________________
every Summer
Some Dude **** Sexy Chick **** The Supporting Cast **** Evil British Guy
in
RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------


ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic


R_Hythlodeus is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #998
The Infernal
Life's End Boss
 
The Infernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 6,504
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

Agreed. To me it would be much like the Dr. Strange in Thor 2 rumours. It doesn't seem natural or likely and these films should be left to tell their own stories first before trying anything like that.

__________________
Lady Luck is smiling at me. She knows something I don't.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #999
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

This thread is now closed it has a continuation thread Here

Thread Manager is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.