Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #976
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Yeah, I place far more blame on Whiplash's story.

That being said, I still like the movie. It gets too much flack.
agrees... it even flows better with all the films

i think it gets the most heat basically because it was the first sequel and "true" set-up for avengers, and people didn't get it.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #977
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

I wasn't a fan after the first viewing, but when I watched it again months later, I had no problem with it.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #978
Chewy
REDACTED

War Machine, Whiplash and Black Widow were all given jack to do but I don't think Iron Man 2 should be used as an example of crossing over characters being a bad idea.

It just shows that you really shouldn't start shooting your movie until you have actually written a script

Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #979
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
It won't detract from anything if it fits with the story. And you can't tell the IM3 story in its own world. That goes against everything they've built with the MCU.

It would definitely detract from the story (and the MCU as a whole) if Janet Van Dyne made her debut in the MCU in IM3 practically sexually assaulting Tony Stark.

That would be a supreme disservice to the character (Janet is *nothing* like that), and would likely be perceived as intruding on Edgar Wright's territory, since Janet reasonably should make her debut in the Ant-Man movie.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 11-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #980
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Although I think it was one of the weaker movies, I still think IM2 was great. I'd say it was messy more than anything.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:50 AM   #981
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
It would definitely detract from the story (and the MCU as a whole) if Janet Van Dyne made her debut in the MCU in IM3 practically sexually assaulting Tony Stark.

That would be a supreme disservice to the character (Janet is *nothing* like that), and would likely be perceived as intruding on Edgar Wright's territory, since Janet reasonably should make her debut in the Ant-Man movie.
"Edgar Wright's territory"?? It's not his movie, it's Marvel's movie and they can use their characters however they like. The fact of the matter is the Ant-Man movie is going to have very little hype on its own; by introducing elements of it in more popular titles it will gain more acknowledgement from a GA who have never even heard of Ant-Man or The Wasp/Jan.

Now, we know AIM will play a pretty big role in IM3 and possibly Ant-Man, that's the thread that connects them. If Jan is involved with AIM (and by extension Hank who is probably an AIM employee as well) it would make sense for her to be in the movie at least.

And this school of thought that some people have that character making cameos in a shared universe somehow detracts from the movie is silly, especially when those characters aren't even established heroes yet and can basically just act as easter eggs in those films. This is the same reaction people had when that rumor about Strange appearing in Thor 2 surfaced.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:36 AM   #982
DOOZlovesBOOZ
Side-Kick

Id have to agree that IM2 shouldn't be used as a precursor on how cameos will affect future movies. Introductions to other character wont hurt as long as they are woven into the story properly and there acctually given something to do.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #983
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
"Edgar Wright's territory"?? It's not his movie, it's Marvel's movie and they can use their characters however they like. The fact of the matter is the Ant-Man movie is going to have very little hype on its own; by introducing elements of it in more popular titles it will gain more acknowledgement from a GA who have never even heard of Ant-Man or The Wasp/Jan.

Now, we know AIM will play a pretty big role in IM3 and possibly Ant-Man, that's the thread that connects them. If Jan is involved with AIM (and by extension Hank who is probably an AIM employee as well) it would make sense for her to be in the movie at least.

And this school of thought that some people have that character making cameos in a shared universe somehow detracts from the movie is silly, especially when those characters aren't even established heroes yet and can basically just act as easter eggs in those films. This is the same reaction people had when that rumor about Strange appearing in Thor 2 surfaced.
"Edgar Wright's territory" was poor phrasing on my part, but the point is that Jan definitely belongs to Ant-Man and/or Avengers primarily, and should therefore debut in one of those franchises; to have her first appearance in an IM movie doesn't make much sense.

But again, more importantly, in that trailer scene, Szostak is definitely *not* acting the way Janet Van Dyne would act towards Tony Stark, period. *If* that turns out to be Janet, and she enters the MCU by sexually assaulting Tony Stark, I'm opting out of the Avengers franchise entirely, because it would be headed down the wrong road completely.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #984
Marathon
Side-Kick

Quote:
"Edgar Wright's territory" was poor phrasing on my part, but the point is that Jan definitely belongs to Ant-Man and/or Avengers primarily, and should therefore debut in one of those franchises; to have her first appearance in an IM movie doesn't make much sense.

But again, more importantly, in that trailer scene, Szostak is definitely *not* acting the way Janet Van Dyne would act towards Tony Stark, period. *If* that turns out to be Janet, and she enters the MCU by sexually assaulting Tony Stark, I'm opting out of the Avengers franchise entirely, because it would be headed down the wrong road completely.

Agreed.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #985
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:

We don't know what's going in that scene, period. Even if Janet is sexually assaulting Tony (which she probably isn't) it is not out of her character completely. Jan is outgoing and self-confident in the comics and in this day and age that also means flirtatious..not to mention Tony and Jan dated at one point in the comics anyway and this would presumably be before Jan has much to do with Hank besides a professional relationship at best. Either way, that's a pretty butthurt reason to drop the whole franchise. Your loss though.

Last edited by Mr. Dent; 11-15-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #986
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
We don't know what's going in that scene, period. Even if Janet is sexually assaulting Tony (which she probably isn't) it is not out of her character completely. Jan is outgoing and self-confident in the comics and in this day and age that also means flirtatious..not to mention Tony and Jan dated at one point in the comics anyway and this would presumably be before Jan has much to do with Hank besides a professional relationship at best. Either way, that's a pretty butthurt reason to drop the whole franchise. Your loss though.
Anybody with eyes and private parts knows what's going on in that scene.

And there's a huge difference between "dating" someone and being "flirtatious," as opposed to knocking somebody around and throwing them against the wall as foreplay. Tony is clearly not enjoying this nearly as much as Szostak is; and if the gender roles were reversed, 99.99% of audiences watching that scene would say it's rape.

Szostak is playing a bad, bad girl. Janet Van Dyne is not a bad, bad girl. Whitney Frost is; Justine Hammer is; Sasha Hammer is; Sunset Bain is; Monica Rappaccini is; hell, even Bethany Cabe can be.

Last edited by cherokeesam; 11-15-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #987
OrangeCloud
Side-Kick

There is also a difference between sexually assaulting someone and manhandling them.

Doesn't look like she's doing anything other than reminding Stark of her own authority.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #988
Matarreyes
Side-Kick

I am firmly on the "Black Widow and Fury sucked in IM2" bandwagon.

If this actress is indeed Wasp, I expect it would be worse that that. A hot spy was still fitting with the theme of Ironman movies (that are heavily rooted in technology, and have the structure of corporate thrillers). Wasp is out of place in this kind of movies. And before you say that MCU is infinite and open and adaptative, I disagree. IM movies have a certain feel to it that excludes magic and overboard fantasy or Sci-fi elements such as tiny flying females. The fact that the Ironman suit looks "plausible" is part of its charm, and also part of their appeal to the GA.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #989
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

I still don't know what all this "sexually assaulting" talk is about. I've watched the trailer numerous times and saw no such thing.

My LEGO Gallery
Old 11-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #990
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyin View Post
I still don't know what all this "sexually assaulting" talk is about. I've watched the trailer numerous times and saw no such thing.
The armor is pinning Tony down in one shot so in fanboy world the next step is sexual assault.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 11-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #991
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCloud View Post
There is also a difference between sexually assaulting someone and manhandling them.

Doesn't look like she's doing anything other than reminding Stark of her own authority.
By pressing her body against his, tilting her head slightly to the side, lowering her eyelids and leaning her lips towards his....? Dude. That's erotica-speak for "we about to get busy up in here."

Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #992
Matarreyes
Side-Kick

Notice how she first manhandles him, but later lingers in very close proximity staring at his lips? Itīs this second part of her movement that looks like she is sexually assaulting him to me.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #993
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matarreyes View Post

Notice how she first manhandles him, but later lingers in very close proximity staring at his lips? Itīs this second part of her movement that looks like she is sexually assaulting him to me.
Exactly.
And if this were a fight instead of foreplay, Tony would be, well, fighting back. Instead, his arms hang limply at his sides, and he looks baffled and confused. *Possibly* under the influence of something here, but it's more likely simply a case of that voice inside Tony's head saying: "Holy ****....here's this hot milf about to rip my clothes off, and for the first time in my life, I can't say I'm happy about that."

Old 11-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #994
Matarreyes
Side-Kick

Incidentally, WFT with his clothes and the location? Tony Stark cosplaying as christmas elf in a local diner?

Old 11-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #995
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
You're right, but wouldn't you agree that not all cameos are "just because?" MCU movies will have small sections of crossovers, and they're better because of it.
Not really. Like I was saying in my previous posts, I still think it would detract from the movie. I'm not saying no to all cameos, I wouldn't mind some, but I think in the case of Janet that she would be out of place in an Iron Man movie. Generally I think that Iron Man 3 should stick to its own story and characters. No Avengers set ups.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #996
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
I don't think Widow was the problem with IM2 at all..... Whiplash however....
WM stealing screentime from both BW and Whiplash was the problem. But this was discussed before.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #997
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

I would be surprised of we see any fellow Avenger that has not been introduced to the MCU yet making a cameo in IM3. I just don't see that happen.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #998
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Agreed. To me it would be much like the Dr. Strange in Thor 2 rumours. It doesn't seem natural or likely and these films should be left to tell their own stories first before trying anything like that.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #999
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

This thread is now closed it has a continuation thread Here

Closed Thread