The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #326
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - Part 14

My favourite line in the Comic con was this-
"What if a child dreamed of being something,order than what society ordained for him?what if he aspired to something greater?"
The bolded screams Superman.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #327
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero#1 View Post
He said..My father beleaved, That if the world found out who I really was, They reject me, I fear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
I thought it was: "They'd reject me --- out of fear." Unless Yoda has a writing credit
Krumm is right. He said out of fear.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #328
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

I'm pretty sure he did too. I imagine he says it to Lois and I'm confident that Clark will want to aid the world with his powers even if he only dons the suit when Zod hits the fan.

Smallville13, I think you're right about the flashback origin, though you make it sound a little thin. I think and hope it'll be more drawn out and the first act might be fairly long.
I also dont think the transition between the first and second act will be that traditional and obvious. I dont think the second act will start with Clark in Metropolis. Sounds too much like Superman:TM and rather uninspiring. But you might be right though since Clark on a bike in Metropolis looks to be a longer sequence that probably wouldnt fit in the end. And it'll probably happen before Zod invades which is probably in the middle of the movie.

And regarding the success of MOS and people's anticipation. Well, I'd hate to be the buzzkill, but I think some people in here might be somewhat disappointed with it. I'm pretty sure it wont suck, but it's entirely possible it might just be ok and that people are putting too much into it and simply expecting too much.
In any case anticipation's a *****.
I myself want it to be the biggest CBM yet since it's Superman and looking at that cast and crew just makes it of biblical proportions. But I'm gonna try to ignore that and just expect some stellar entertainment though on a different tangent than Avengers. I'm not really expecting narration on the same level as BB and TDK. Not expecting it, but hoping.

Last edited by Rust; 10-27-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #329
protocida
Side-Kick

The movie's structure, give or take a few details, seems pretty clear to me.

Act 1: Clark travels the world, intercut with Flashbacks of Krypton and Clark's childhood and adolescence. He uses his powers to help people during the oil rig fire and ends up in Alaska, where he uses the Codex to activate the Fortress of Solitude. This sends a tracking beacon to the Black Zero.

Act 2: Clark arrives in Metropolis, joins the Daily Planet and is introduced as Superman. Zod appears, Superman confronts him, the U.S. Army becomes involved, Superman is captured by the government and later surrendered to Zod's forces alongside Lois.

Act 3: We learn more about Zod's plans before Superman and Lois escape. Superman then convinces the Army to fight by his side and confront Zod's forces as they begin their takeover in Metropolis. Final battle, villains are defeated, sequel hooks are introduced and Superman becomes Earth's first superhero.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #330
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by protocida View Post

Act 1: Clark travels the world, intercut with Flashbacks of Krypton and Clark's childhood and adolescence. He uses his powers to help people during the oil rig fire and ends up in Alaska, where he uses the Codex to activate the Fortress of Solitude. This sends a tracking beacon to the Black Zero.

Act 2: Clark arrives in Metropolis, joins the Daily Planet and is introduced as Superman. Zod appears, Superman confronts him, the U.S. Army becomes involved, Superman is captured by the government and later surrendered to Zod's forces alongside Lois.

Act 3: We learn more about Zod's plans before Superman and Lois escape. Superman then convinces the Army to fight by his side and confront Zod's forces as they begin their takeover in Metropolis. Final battle, villains are defeated, sequel hooks are introduced and Superman becomes Earth's first superhero.
Sounds about right

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 10-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #331
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:

If this is right then the story sounds about on par with Batman Begins with the advantage being more opportunities for spectacle.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #332
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
If this is right then the story sounds about on par with Batman Begins with the advantage being more opportunities for spectacle.
Which is IMO, absolutely perfect.

As long as it's not literally copying it, with really obvious similarities in the themes, dialogue etc, then i'm fine with it having the same basic structure.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 10-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #333
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

So many great lines from all the shown material so far, I gotta say.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #334
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:

Sounds about right although Im not too thrilled with the similarities with BB especially in the 1st act.But I expect we are going to get this.
What Im really curious about though is the Story hook Nolan and Goyer came up for Superman-They said they figured a unique way of approaching him .Im interested in seein what approach it is.

By the way,any guesses on what drives Clark to exile in Alaska?

Old 10-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #335
protocida
Side-Kick

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Jonathan's death.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #336
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Smallville13, I think you're right about the flashback origin, though you make it sound a little thin. I think and hope it'll be more drawn out and the first act might be fairly long.
I also dont think the transition between the first and second act will be that traditional and obvious. I dont think the second act will start with Clark in Metropolis. Sounds too much like Superman:TM and rather uninspiring. But you might be right though since Clark on a bike in Metropolis looks to be a longer sequence that probably wouldnt fit in the end. And it'll probably happen before Zod invades which is probably in the middle of the movie.
Yeah. I agree about the start. There must be more padding to the Alaska scenes. What is the apron Cavill was wearing in one of those scenes. Is this worn by fishermen when they are gutting fish? Do we think Cavill will be flying by this point?

I think a somewhat drawn out sequence of Clark biking through the city whilst emphasizing the scale and scope of the city as sprawling and buzzing (if it's anything like TDK it will essentially just be Chicago though with a Daily Planet building, so hopefully they give Metropolis it's own personality).

And I definitely agree with the Batman Begins structure with act 1. That's definitely what I was referencing. I think it might be the only way to do it too. We won't get some linear narrative that will keep making big jumps through time (baby, 10-year old saving bus, 20-something in tornado). It will have a base point (Alaska) that it will keep flashing back from.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #337
superhero#1
Side-Kick

So the backstory of krypton.The explaining of why his suit come from krypton, The zod and jor-el sequences on krypton, The story about zod getting imprisoned and why he got imprisoned, The story about how he eventually take over black zero, The down fall of krypton,The send off of baby kal-el.
How many flashbacks of krypton they will show?

Are will there be a flashback of krypton that's about 25 to 30 minutes long.His childhood suppose to be flashbacks too?It was easy for them to tell batman origin in flashbacks because it's short.With superman you have another layer and that's krypton.They can't mix together flashbacks of krypton with flashbacks of his child hood in smallville.That would be off balance and confusing.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #338
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
So the backstory of krypton.The explaining of why his suit come from krypton, The zod and jor-el sequences on krypton, The story about zod getting imprisoned and why he got imprisoned, The story about how he eventually take over black zero, The down fall of krypton,The send off of baby kal-el.
How many flashbacks of krypton they will show?

Are will there be a flashback of krypton that's about 25 to 30 minutes long.His childhood suppose to be flashbacks too?It was easy for them to tell batman origin in flashbacks because it's short.With superman you have another layer and that's krypton.They can't mix together flashbacks of krypton with flashbacks of his child hood in smallville.That would be off balance and confusing.
True. I don't think the Krypton scenes will be flashbacks from Clarks perspective cause there's no way he would be reminiscing on those. It's either probably gonna be explained with Jor-El narrating when Clark finds this scout ship/fortress/whatever with Jor-Els hologram filling him in. Hell maybe he will do like what Dumbledore showed Harry with that cauldron and actually let Clark experience what happened as an observer. That or the Krypton scenes will be told adjacently to that main plot, not as flashbacks.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #339
protocida
Side-Kick

I believe it'll open in war-torn Krypton, with Jor-El stealing the Codex and putting it on the spaceship, lauching it moments before the planet explodes. It crash-lands in Smallville, Kansas, and Jonathan and Martha find baby Kal-El.

Cut to adult Clark in Alaska, remembering this. He goes about his day, doing stuff, probably even being "directed" to Alaska by the Codex that he carries arounds his neck. As he does bartender and fisherman stuff, we get the four main flashbacks: Humorous baby Kal-El stuff, the bus crash, the reveal and the tornado.

The tornado segues directly into the oil rig fire, which ends up Clark rescuing people and continuing forwards to Alaska, where finally finds the Fortress, interacts with Jor-El's holographic projection and we get some more Krypton flashbacks as Jor-El tells Clark about Zod's coup.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #340
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Which is IMO, absolutely perfect.

As long as it's not literally copying it, with really obvious similarities in the themes, dialogue etc, then i'm fine with it having the same basic structure.
I could see it now...

1. Martha to Clark: Why do we fall son? So we can learn to fly right back up...

2. Jor-el to Clark: You must become more to your opponent if you're to achieve inspiring hope...

3. Thug: Where are you????

Superman: UP here!

Old 10-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #341
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Superman to Zod: Wherre is Black Zero ?

*\S/T*
Old 10-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #342
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Quote:
They can't mix together flashbacks of krypton with flashbacks of his child hood in Smallville.That would be off balance and confusing.
Well, the [ahem] Comic Con footage says different...Costner's Pa Kent has a voice-over when Kal-El is "accepting his destiny" from "Jor-El."

I think they've already proven that that editorial vision can work...

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
Old 10-27-2012, 11:35 PM   #343
Wheels
Encore! Encore!

I hate the destiny stuff. Wish they would've went in a different direction. Oh well, it's not a huge deal.

Quote:
I gave you cookies!
-- Bo Dallas
Old 10-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #344
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I don't think..or at least I didn't get the impression that Clark is becoming a hero because of the destiny route based on what was shown in the Comic Con trailer.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #345
X Knight
Saber Class

Zod to Superman: "KNEEL to ME!!!"

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 10-28-2012, 02:45 AM   #346
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Yeah. I agree about the start. There must be more padding to the Alaska scenes. What is the apron Cavill was wearing in one of those scenes. Is this worn by fishermen when they are gutting fish? Do we think Cavill will be flying by this point?

I think a somewhat drawn out sequence of Clark biking through the city whilst emphasizing the scale and scope of the city as sprawling and buzzing (if it's anything like TDK it will essentially just be Chicago though with a Daily Planet building, so hopefully they give Metropolis it's own personality).

And I definitely agree with the Batman Begins structure with act 1. That's definitely what I was referencing. I think it might be the only way to do it too. We won't get some linear narrative that will keep making big jumps through time (baby, 10-year old saving bus, 20-something in tornado). It will have a base point (Alaska) that it will keep flashing back from.

I reckon we'll first meet Clark as the fisherman. In fact, I think the first shots from the teaser of him petting the dog is also from the beginning of the movie, excluding an introduction on Krypton.
While on the trawler he'll probably get into the whole oil rig incident. Then he'll probably shave off the beard and hike his way to the next job working at a diner wearing that apron (remember the call sheet). That'll probably introduce him to Lois leading him closer to Metropolis and his "destiny".

And yeah, I imagine the (hopefully drawn-out) flashbacks will occur simultaneously with Clark soul-searching in Alaska, realizing his potential particularly after the oil rig incident. The flashbacks might end with Jonathan's funeral and Clark arriving at the FOS where Jor-El lays it out for him thereby ending the 1st act. I do hope that it doesnt show him putting on the suit, but rather him waiting still somewhat reluctant, and the Zod-invasion ultimately makes him put it on when he realizes the world really needs him, be it ready or not.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:09 AM   #347
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

With everything that's going on in this film, something tells me that we really won't get any time to explore seeing Superman/Clark deal with any real significant local everyday criminal activities and that Superman will be regulated to primarily natural disasters and alien invasions for the first film.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:28 AM   #348
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

And thank god for that. It's irrelevant for Superman these days. Let Spider-man and Batman deal with muggers, thugs and druglords. Superman is big league issues.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:48 AM   #349
The Shield
It's really Happening!

I know one thing I can do without and that is a lame montage of Supes and a bunch of random saves. Stupid criminals and cat burglars. Blowing out house fires from the sidewalk and such... lame, lame. However, something like the punishment of a cereal rapist or even the scene in Birthright with the local Gun shop owner. That, I can get behind.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 10-28-2012, 05:18 AM   #350
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Yeah, the part where he fires at that dude and stops the bullet in front of him is pretty sweet. Something to that effect would be cool IF it was somehow part of the story and not just thrown in randomly.