Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #351
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
I know one thing I can do without and that is a lame montage of Supes and a bunch of random saves. Stupid criminals and cat burglars. Blowing out house fires from the sidewalk and such... lame, lame. However, something like the punishment of a cereal rapist or even the scene in Birthright with the local Gun shop owner. That, I can get behind.
oh yeah; especially the latter part.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #352
Smallville13
Side-Kick

My 2 biggest concerns for this film are:

1. The whole 'destiny'. The "You will give the people an ideal to strive toward..." is great at the end of All-Star but in a completely different context. I hope maybe it will be a monologue given at the end of the film as Clark has already found what he can be and can do. But as long as he comes to it on his own and is not following directions from Jor-Els ghost. I actually really liked the idea that Jor-El and Lara just sent away the rocket not knowing where it would end up but just had hope. But I've since come around to the idea that it makes sense for Jor-El to have programmed directions into it. He would have chose a planet with humanoids identical to Kryptonians, so Kal would fit in. But I don't like the idea that he sent Kal to be this messiah with godly powers and lead the way for the whole human race. It goes completely against Jor-El being a scientist and observer.

2. The Clark Kent glasses disguise. This has been starting to bother me a bit with the comics and stuff whereas it never did before. The truth is this will be the hardest sell of the movie. The only time I've ever really bought it working is in All-Star Superman. There's a sketch page from Frank Quitely where he shows the different profiles of Clark and Superman and just by changing his posture, body language, and larger clothing they become unrecognizable as one-another. But since the only shot we've seen of Clark walking into the Daily Planet so far he is wearing that form-fitting shirt I do wonder how they will do it. I hope it's not one of those things where we just suspend our disbelief cause everyone (as in real life) knows that Clark Kent is Superman. I honestly wonder that Lois Lane will be in the know from the beginning and actually help make the disguise. There's no way especially considering how close it seems she and Supes get from the comic-con trailer (big kiss) that she won't recognise him with glasses on.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #353
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

It's possible that they may add some type of Kryptonian tech plot device to his glasses where his glasses are especially made for concealing his identity and uses some type of Krypto technology that makes people think that he can't be superman, well only for those who don't know the secret that is.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #354
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
It's possible that they may add some type of Kryptonian tech plot device to his glasses where his glasses are especially made for concealing his identity and uses some type of Krypto technology that makes people think that he can't be superman, well only for those who don't know the secret that is.
Yeah, I can't see it. It's not a very elegant solution. Simple is best.

Perhaps if he's portrayed as just another head amongst a huge buzzing office (which it will be since everyone will be in Superman-mania since it's his first appearances) and doesn't draw attention to himself. I think Henry will still have to change up his mannerisms and acting though to make it work.

The best thing the disguise has got going for it is no-one is looking for him. It's the hiding in plain sight that works. It's hard to consider cause we're the audience and know that Clark Kent is Superman.

Last edited by Smallville13; 10-28-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #355
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Yeah, I can't see it. It's not a very elegant solution. Simple is best.

Perhaps if he's portrayed as just another head amongst a huge buzzing office (which it will be since everyone will be in Superman-mania since it's his first appearances) and doesn't draw attention to himself. I think Henry will still have to change up his mannerisms and acting though to make it work.

The best thing the disguise has got going for it is no-one is looking for him. It's the hiding in plain sight that works. It's hard to consider cause we're the audience and know that Clark Kent is Superman.
It'll be especially harder to believe when we have characters that have closely interacted with Superman presented in not being able to tell Clark Kent and Superman apart, especially with Lois's character who is definitely going to be interacting with the character in a strong way in this film.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #356
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I don't know, the glasses or the overall disguise has never been hard to sell on me, I'm sure it won't be this time either.

And personally I dig the "destiny" stuff, as long as it's not overdone (like "fear" in BB). A line here and there and some allusions will be enough.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #357
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
It'll be especially harder to believe when we have characters that have closely interacted with Superman presented in not being able to tell Clark Kent and Superman apart, especially with Lois's character who is definitely going to be interacting with the character in a strong way in this film.
Yeah exactly. Like I said perhaps if he has a really muted presence in the Daily Planet and the only person who he interacts with is Lois who knows he's Superman like the Smallville tv show.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #358
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
I don't know, the glasses or the overall disguise has never been hard to sell on me, I'm sure it won't be this time either.

And personally I dig the "destiny" stuff, as long as it's not overdone (like "fear" in BB). A line here and there and some allusions will be enough.
You like that Jor-El chooses for Kal-El to be Superman? Care to explain?

Edit: I'm not saying that this opinion is wrong.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #359
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I think the disguise is a part you almost automatically has to buy when it comes to Superman. I mean if one can't suspend their disbelief that far…

Old 10-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #360
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
My 2 biggest concerns for this film are:

1. The whole 'destiny'. The "You will give the people an ideal to strive toward..." is great at the end of All-Star but in a completely different context. I hope maybe it will be a monologue given at the end of the film as Clark has already found what he can be and can do. But as long as he comes to it on his own and is not following directions from Jor-Els ghost. I actually really liked the idea that Jor-El and Lara just sent away the rocket not knowing where it would end up but just had hope. But I've since come around to the idea that it makes sense for Jor-El to have programmed directions into it. He would have chose a planet with humanoids identical to Kryptonians, so Kal would fit in. But I don't like the idea that he sent Kal to be this messiah with godly powers and lead the way for the whole human race. It goes completely against Jor-El being a scientist and observer.

2. The Clark Kent glasses disguise. This has been starting to bother me a bit with the comics and stuff whereas it never did before. The truth is this will be the hardest sell of the movie. The only time I've ever really bought it working is in All-Star Superman. There's a sketch page from Frank Quitely where he shows the different profiles of Clark and Superman and just by changing his posture, body language, and larger clothing they become unrecognizable as one-another. But since the only shot we've seen of Clark walking into the Daily Planet so far he is wearing that form-fitting shirt I do wonder how they will do it. I hope it's not one of those things where we just suspend our disbelief cause everyone (as in real life) knows that Clark Kent is Superman. I honestly wonder that Lois Lane will be in the know from the beginning and actually help make the disguise. There's no way especially considering how close it seems she and Supes get from the comic-con trailer (big kiss) that she won't recognise him with glasses on.
I have no problems with this and I think he will develop his disguise more as the film progresses.

If Cavill did as good as job as Reeve did, it shouldn't be a problem. Reeve flawlessly distinguished Clark from Superman. His posture, hairstyle, mannerisms and voice were all very different than that of him when he was Superman. I can proudly admit I have been fooled by it, if only just slightly because I know its the same guy.

So again, if he can do as good a job as he did, it shouldnt be anything to worry about.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 10-28-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #361
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:
You like that Jor-El chooses for Kal-El to be Superman? Care to explain?

Edit: I'm not saying that this opinion is wrong.
The optimal thing for me is for it to be a mix of things that makes Kal-El becomes Superman. It doesn't have to be either/or for me.

Though I am of the opinion that both ways can work and be done good. I've loved Superman stories where many different reasons for Kal-El becoming Superman has been alluded to. I don't dislike any of the reasons per se.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #362
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

With October coming to an end soon, I hope something newsworthy appears in November.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #363
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
I have no problems with this and I think he will develop his disguise more as the film progresses.

If Cavill did as good as job as Reeve did, it shouldn't be a problem. Reeve flawlessly distinguished Clark from Superman. His posture, hairstyle, mannerisms and voice were all very different than that of him when he was Superman. I can proudly admit I have been fooled by it, if only just slightly because I know its the same guy.

So again, if he can do as good a job as he did, it shouldnt be anything to worry about.
So do we think that Cavill should/will be doing the whole 'bumbling reporter' act. Or be more like a regular joe like in the John Byrne reboot?

Based on the extremely minor footage we've seen so far. Unless he changes his demeanor when he gets out of that elevator (when he's putting on his glasses at the Daily Planet) it seems we'll be getting something closer to the Byrne interpretation.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #364
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
The optimal thing for me is for it to be a mix of things that makes Kal-El becomes Superman. It doesn't have to be either/or for me.

Though I am of the opinion that both ways can work and be done good. I've loved Superman stories where many different reasons for Kal-El becoming Superman has been alluded to. I don't dislike any of the reasons per se.
Yeah I can see it hopefully not being a problem. With the Jonathan Kent teaser talking about "Having to choose what kind of man you want to be". I think Clark will be in control of his own 'destiny'.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #365
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
So do we think that Cavill should/will be doing the whole 'bumbling reporter' act. Or be more like a regular joe like in the John Byrne reboot?

Based on the extremely minor footage we've seen so far. Unless he changes his demeanor when he gets out of that elevator (when he's putting on his glasses at the Daily Planet) it seems we'll be getting something closer to the Byrne interpretation.
It doesn't have to be the bumbling reporter. As long as theres enough differentiation as far as his mannerisms, etc. then it would be fine.

IMO, I think we need a middle ground between the bumbling reporter and regular joe interpretations for this film.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 10-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #366
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Yeah I can see it hopefully not being a problem. With the Jonathan Kent teaser talking about "Having to choose what kind of man you want to be". I think Clark will be in control of his own 'destiny'.

Destiny vs. Choice is an main theme of Superman anyways. I don't see them emphasizing one over the other.

#Hypsters4Sawyer

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 10-28-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #367
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

I doubt the reporter will be bumbling, just more lowkey. Like he does his job well and is aggressive when getting stories, but around the office he's just kind of...there. Kind of quiet.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #368
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
I could see it now...

1. Martha to Clark: Why do we fall son? So we can learn to fly right back up...

2. Jor-el to Clark: You must become more to your opponent if you're to achieve inspiring hope...

3. Thug: Where are you????

Superman: UP here!

SUPERMAN: They told me there was nothing out there, nothing to hope for. But the night my parents found me, I found a glimpse of something. I've looked for it ever since. I went around the world, searching through all the world's beauty. And there is something out there in the light, something inspiring, something that will stop at nothing until it gets peace... Me.

JONATHON: You must become more than just a man. You must become... a Super Man.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 10-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #369
X Knight
Straight Edge Soul

Reporter Clark doesn't have to be a bumbling idiot.......but he should at least by quiet, low-key, and mild mannered.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 10-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #370
Marvin
Side-Kick

Superman doesn't wear a mask and he flies into the clouds when he's done he's godly work on earth. This is all the disguise needed. The fact that he doesn't present the idea of one.

If my best friend looked just like Michel Jordan, would I start to suspect them of being one and the same at some point...

Old 10-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #371
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Superman doesn't wear a mask and he flies into the clouds when he's done he's godly work on earth. This is all the disguise needed. The fact that he doesn't present the idea of one.

If my best friend looked just like Michel Jordan, would I start to suspect them of being one and the same at some point...
I totally agree that works for the general public.

But if you were a journalist who was interviewing Michel Jordan on a regular basis... wouldn't you start to realise 'hey, they don't just look alike, they ARE the same person'?

Not that it matters to me, I like the simplicity of it, and I think it's the one thing that doesn't need grounding in realism.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 10-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #372
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

I think that Clark Kent will Not get a permanent job of a reporter at the Daily Planet, he will be working as a freelance journalist and an internet blogger in this movie.

So, he would not be meeting with Daily Planet staff on a daily basis and I expect him to appear at DP Office with glasses.

I can see some people commenting as he would have some resemblance to Superman but nobody will actually suspect that He is Superman. Hiding in plain sight.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 10-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #373
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
Reporter Clark doesn't have to be a bumbling idiot.......but he should at least by quiet, low-key, and mild mannered.
Yeah...a lot of people confuse "mild mannered" with "incompetant joke".....having him be quiet, mild mannered, and unobtrusive as Clark is a nice counterpoint to a dynamic, commanding, take charge leader like Superman.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #374
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Yeah...a lot of people confuse "mild mannered" with "incompetant joke".....having him be quiet, mild mannered, and unobtrusive as Clark is a nice counterpoint to a dynamic, commanding, take charge leader like Superman.
This.

*\S/T*
Old 10-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #375
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
I think that Clark Kent will Not get a permanent job of a reporter at the Daily Planet, he will be working as a freelance journalist and an internet blogger in this movie.

So, he would not be meeting with Daily Planet staff on a daily basis and I expect him to appear at DP Office with glasses.

I can see some people commenting as he would have some resemblance to Superman but nobody will actually suspect that He is Superman. Hiding in plain sight.
That would be an interesting take. I could see it.

Closed Thread