The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #726
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - Part 14

God, I hate the new 52 with a passion. I hardly recognize the character and I ain't talking about the new costume in the comics....

I hope they stay far away from the likes of the new 52 and Earth 1.....and if we don't get a new trailer by the end of the year..there will be hell to pay!lol

Old 11-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #727
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Thoughts on Earth One Vol 2.

The whole thing with waiting for his fortress(?) to build a protective suit and the time it took felt real plot contrived.

The whole Superman can't have sex issue is retarded. Sorry guys, Supes can, and none of us can make the grade compared to him. I hate in the last issue of Superman #13 they established that Supes can't feel hot water either. I hate this and it's not what I consider my continuity. Of course he can feel. Of course bullets impacting on him don't hurt him, but he can tap into his senses and still feel them and channel into how much he feels upping the intensity if he actually wants to feel the hate behind each shot. Same for sex, it'd be way more sensual than what humans are capable of. Ugh. Why am I even writing this. Damn you JMS. How about using the pages for amazing concepts and ideas and not juvenile arguments.

Lex^2 just felt like it was different for the sake of being different, whilst not adding anything. I felt this for a lot of Batman: Earth One too.

And the cat thing was sweet, but just out of place. Seriously what was the narrative purpose of this other than some throwback that the cat was watching him while he was hugging some chick.

Comics can be better than this.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #728
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
God, I hate the new 52 with a passion. I hardly recognize the character and I ain't talking about the new costume in the comics....

I hope they stay far away from the likes of the new 52 and Earth 1.....and if we don't get a new trailer by the end of the year..there will be hell to pay!lol

I know, in the New 52 they've got him acting like this other character who disappeared years ago, what's his name now........

Oh yeah, Superman.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #729
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:

I'm with you. I really wanted to like it, and I got about the first 12 issues of AC, Superman and JL... but there are just so many things I don't like about it, and it seems like they plan on sticking to the new characterisation.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 11-03-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #730
Wheels
HR Supporter

I liked ACTION a lot in the beginning but then I started losing interest by about issue 5 or 6.

Quote:
Because I'm a total mark and the first words I ever spoke when I came out of my mother's wound, was that one day, I was going to be the WCW Champion.
-- Vince Russo
Old 11-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #731
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Action comics 14 preview.
http://www.maxim.com/comics/exclusiv...tion-comics-14
How can you say thats not awesome.Honestly I hope the new superman animated series draws influence from this.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #732
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

My problem with the new 52 Superman is that the artists are not able to keep his facial look consistent and he looks like a teenager, not saying that he should look like 30 year old but at least he should look like a 22 year old.

*\S/T*
Old 11-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #733
Mike22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
How can you say thats not awesome.Honestly I hope the new superman animated series draws influence from this.
There's a new animated series, when did that happen??

Old 11-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #734
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike22 View Post
There's a new animated series, when did that happen??
Oh no it hasnt happened yet but there probably is gonna be one since MOS is coming out.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #735
Mike22
Side-Kick

Oh, thanks for clearing that up.
So before or after MOS?

Old 11-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #736
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike22 View Post
Oh, thanks for clearing that up.
So before or after MOS?
No idea.Probably Expect an annoucement around that period though.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #737
GoldCrest
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSpider View Post
I'm hoping the new trailer is with The Hobbit. Haven't really paid much attention to this since July.
Same here. I haven't paid attention to the filming of MOS since the first teaser trailer.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #738
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
That's looking good. I liked the last issue too with Krypto, as well as the Obama president Supes issue. I'm at least hoping for a strong finish to Morrison's Action run. Have to agree about the New 52 though. The whole thing seems poorly conceived and half-baked. And it's depressing that they wiped out thousands of legacy issues and we'll never see Action Comics #1000 or anything.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #739
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Eh. Never really cared one way or the other what the number on the cover was besides for the purposes of knowing what order to read them.

I'm not sure how The New 52 seems poorly conceived or half-baked. Not sure how long it's been since there have simultaneously been at least one critically acclaimed and high-selling book each for Justice League, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, and Aquaman. Not to mention the surprise success of stuff like Animal Man and Swamp Thing. Of course there are a batch of bad books, but there were before too.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #740
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Eh. Never really cared one way or the other what the number on the cover was besides for the purposes of knowing what order to read them.

I'm not sure how The New 52 seems poorly conceived or half-baked. Not sure how long it's been since there have simultaneously been at least one critically acclaimed and high-selling book each for Justice League, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, and Aquaman. Not to mention the surprise success of stuff like Animal Man and Swamp Thing. Of course there are a batch of bad books, but there were before too.
I think it's more about principle. They did away with everything we had been following for years and aren't looking back. I don't think there's anything that could have stopped all those stories you mention being written in the old continuity. It's just we have to have them in a vague universe now that's not sure what has even taken place there before. Even the minds that be at DC really don't seem certain. That's what I mean by half-baked and poorly conceived. Shouldn't they have mapped it all out?

Old 11-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #741
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
I think it's more about principle. They did away with everything we had been following for years and aren't looking back. I don't think there's anything that could have stopped all those stories you mention being written in the old continuity. It's just we have to have them in a vague universe now that's not sure what has even taken place there before. Even the minds that be at DC really don't seem certain. That's what I mean by half-baked and poorly conceived. Shouldn't they have mapped it all out?
Same thing happened with Crisis. The previous continuity you like so much was also a reboot that muddled up the continuity that came before it. It happens.

Leaving things vague helps from putting writers in a corner since this is supposed to be a new continuity. If someone has an idea for a new Parasite origin that's integral to their story, it's better to let them do that than to say "You can't. We already posted on the internet that this Parasite story already happened." Having the lead-in event fracture time to the point where some things happened differently or not at all really is the best way to give the writers as much freedom to try as much as possible while still revealing the iconic moments they deem necessary to have happened.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #742
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Same thing happened with Crisis. The previous continuity you like so much was also a reboot that muddled up the continuity that came before it. It happens.

Leaving things vague helps from putting writers in a corner since this is supposed to be a new continuity. If someone has an idea for a new Parasite origin that's integral to their story, it's better to let them do that than to say "You can't. We already posted on the internet that this Parasite story already happened." Having the lead-in event fracture time to the point where some things happened differently or not at all really is the best way to give the writers as much freedom to try as much as possible while still revealing the iconic moments they deem necessary to have happened.
Yeah you're definitely right regarding freeing up the writers. But comics are already so malleable. Like you say a Crisis or anything can just change the universe. But like I said it's about principle. And respecting the long history of the books being written before all these young editors were in diapers. I really think the New 52 was nothing more than a publicity stunt.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #743
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Oh, yeah. It definitely was a publicity stunt. Every comic event is. Just whether or not the talent does something good with the opportunity.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:59 AM   #744
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh, yeah. It definitely was a publicity stunt. Every comic event is. Just whether or not the talent does something good with the opportunity.
I'm not sure the "talent" really has all that much freedom to take advantage. DC has been in the corporate kung-fu grip of WB for years.

Read this article about Perez's frustration with the Superman line. The comment by the user FlameApe sounds pretty spot on as well.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/0...rience-new-52/

Last edited by StarvingArtist; 11-04-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:10 AM   #745
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Here's to still hoping that MOS may actually show Superman really leaving such a strong impression upon humanity that the film actually shows on how humanity in general are taking the steps towards achieving their great potential as opposed to it just being something that Jor-el only references or talks about in the past films while nothing within a film shows to support that statement.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:51 AM   #746
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

You mean like All-Star's PROJECT? Might be a bit too much for the series.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #747
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Here's to still hoping that MOS may actually show Superman really leaving such a strong impression upon humanity that the film actually shows on how humanity in general are taking the steps towards achieving their great potential as opposed to it just being something that Jor-el only references or talks about in the past films while nothing within a film shows to support that statement.
Yeah this is the main point of Superman and I hope they don't miss it too. Even in the sequel having Supes save a Mars colony like in that Action Comics preview would show that kind of progress. But it's the small things too. Just the greatness he inspires in everybody.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #748
bgshw44
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSpider View Post
I'm hoping the new trailer is with The Hobbit. Haven't really paid much attention to this since July.
it HAS to be with The Hobbit, if not, i will be severly concerned that this could be another wb marketing disaster

Lets go WB make another superman movie!!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #749
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgshw44 View Post
it HAS to be with The Hobbit, if not, i will be severly concerned that this could be another wb marketing disaster
For some reason I feel like they're gonna try to wait until all the Iron man hype dies down. They are going to release drips and drops of stuff until a month before MOS. Then 2 weeks before MOS comes out there going to ad blizz.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 11-04-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #750
JOE

Don't be surprised if it doesn't come out in December. Last December, everyone in TASM forum was waiting for a trailer that was rumoured to come. The forum got pretty messy when they found out it wasn't until February. They launched it randomly at like 3:30 a.m but when it came out... It was worth the wait. Patience everyone, Synder only has 1 chance to make a good impression with this movie. The teaser doesn't count because all it lets people know is that there will be a Superman movie coming. This first trailer will set the tone. I hope they don't rush it and make it just okay to get it out by the Hobbit release. I'd rather they waited until January or February like TASM did and really "wow" everyone.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Closed Thread