The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 10-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
MAKAVELI25
Side-Kick

Default Is "The Dark Knight Rises" as grounded in reality as its predecessors?

I think one of the things I love the most about BB and TDK is that the stuff might not be necessarily realistic, but it is at the very least plausible. Would you say the same for TDKR?

MAKAVELI25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
ThePhantasm
BADASS!

Default Re: Is "The Dark Knight Rises" as grounded in reality as its predecessors?

Sure, why not? As plausible as a huge military microwave emitter that boils only water and not the blood in people's bodies.

Wonder Gal | Cav-El | Batfleck | #TrustSnyder
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Default Re: Is "The Dark Knight Rises" as grounded in reality as its predecessors?

TDKR and BB are having a similar grounded tone, but I feel that TDK was the most grounded version.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Yes. None of the movies are actually realistic and if Rises seems less so compared to the others it's only because the scope of the story is so large. These are, after all, movies about a guy dressed in a glorified Halloween costume battling crime. Nolan shooting on location and basing a lot of the tech on real world technology doesn't change that.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

I'd say Batman Begins is less realistic than Rises. Some of the ninjitsu, fear toxin, microwave bomb stuff, and other details seem less plausible than the city being held hostage in TDKR.

The least plausible thing in Rises was the healed back injury in a matter of days/months. They could've made the training sequences more impressive to make it seem possible, I thought.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

TDKR was VERY realistic.

CIA in Kazakhstan, Patriot Act/Dent Act, Lazarus Pit in Syria/Arab Spring, LOS/Al-Qaeda...

The only surreal things in the film are some of the gadgets (Bruce's knee brace, Bat-Pod, Selina's identity wiper).

The Bat might as well be an F-22 so I'll keep that off the surreal list.

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
kvz5
HBIC

Yes.

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
TheGuy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
Yes. None of the movies are actually realistic and if Rises seems less so compared to the others it's only because the scope of the story is so large. These are, after all, movies about a guy dressed in a glorified Halloween costume battling crime. Nolan shooting on location and basing a lot of the tech on real world technology doesn't change that.
Agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
I'd say Batman Begins is less realistic than Rises. Some of the ninjitsu, fear toxin, microwave bomb stuff, and other details seem less plausible than the city being held hostage in TDKR.
BB is definitely the least realistic of the trilogy.

1. Begins
2. TDKR
3. TDK
Quote:
The least plausible thing in Rises was the healed back injury in a matter of days/months. They could've made the training sequences more impressive to make it seem possible, I thought.
Bruce took 4-5 months to heal. It's undoubtedly plausible that a trained fighter(he did took a lot of time off) recovers in that amount of time. I think the least plausible in Rises is Bane's mask. He got beat up by the prisoners decades before the events of Rises, and yet he still needed a mask to ease pain of a source we don't know.

TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Also, I think TDKR paints a very plausible picture of what would happen if a terrorist group would invade and take a major American city.

As me and my brother left the theatre, that's all we talked about. It could happen.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep

I think the problem is that people held those films up in an unrealistically realistic light, as though there was absolutely no suspension of disbelief. As far as I'm really concerned, a man getting over a broken back or dislocated vertebrae in a matter of months is as plausible as a man having half his face burned off and walking around still able to function normally, for one example. So yes, it is, but people expected it to be absolutely clinical and 100% accurate to real life when the preceding films weren't.

Uroboric Forms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

There is a difference between Grounded and Realistic, Nolan's movies are Grounded, but they are Not Realistic.

*\S/T*
Old 10-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

True. Realistic is a tough word to crack. I see TDKT as a whole more as a combination of grounded and realistic, they have verisimilitude. But the important thing is that it created a world in which all of the events of the films can happen, and that makes us connect with the characters on a deeper level.

I think if the next batch of films manage to create a world that can achieve the same connection, even if the world is thematically different, they would be on the right path.

"Batman: Promises"

"Harley Quinn: Ridiculous Thoughts"
"La Broma Mortal"
BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

I wouldn't call any of the Bat films realistic, I would rather call them "aesthetically grounded". It has a very lived in feel, a world you recognize as your own; this helps you get immersed in the more modern themes and ideas that are dramatized. With that said, these films' regard for things like physics are not even a cut above its comic book counter part (especially TDKR). But that is a good thing, at least most of the time. Nolan wisely understood that he is still making comic book films.

Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Darren Aronofsky's take on Batman reboot was supposed to be ultra grounded and realistic.

*\S/T*
Old 10-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #15
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Mr. Vigilante-10 Years

I would have to say Rises is on the exact same level as far as realism goes, as the other two films.

- BEN AFFLECK IS BATMAN-#TrustBatfleck -
SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #16
the last son
Side-Kick

I want someone to explain to me how Batman in general is not realistic? It has not happened but again I see no reason how it is not realistic.

the last son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #17
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Because in the real world after about a week the police would have figured out who Batman was and arrested him (example: Gotham was being watched by a satellite in TDKR, and that could be used to track Batman), provided he wasn't dead because in the real world people don't suffer from "Stormtrooper syndrome" where they couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat and they don't attack one at a time when in a fistfight.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #18
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Because in the real world after about a week the police would have figured out who Batman was and arrested him (example: Gotham was being watched by a satellite in TDKR, and that could be used to track Batman), provided he wasn't dead because in the real world people don't suffer from "Stormtrooper syndrome" where they couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat and they don't attack one at a time when in a fistfight.
I disagree.

If 2 armed robbers with body armor could get the upper hand on the LAPD for an hour, a trained ninja with billionaire resources could easily evade them for years.

There are still dozens of murderers at large being sought out by FBI and other federal agencies. None of them have Batman's training or money. You do the math.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #19
VenomShock
Side-Kick

I'd say it's about second.

Batman Begins seems the most plausible to me, it took great care to be, it knew which world it wanted to occupy.

The Dark Knight Rises seems at about a similar level. I'm going to say it's slightly less, if not equal.

The Dark Knight without a doubt to me is the least grounded and most unrealistic of the three, it's still very grounded, just not quite as much as the others.

VenomShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #20
jmc
callin' it like I see it

I've said this before, the struggle between grounded drama and superhero film is never more paramount than in TDKR.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #21
Victarion
The Iron Captain

Nolan puts up on illusion of realism. The only thing in the movie that really stood out was the response to Bane's threat. Would that really keep the government at bay for 5 months? I get the purpose, though: to add a more seemingly realistic set-up to a No Man's Land scenario.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #22
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Honestly, I think the LOS plot is more over the top and unrealistic than the actual government response. If a terrorist group could actually raise an army in the sewers of a major city, get their hands on nuke, trap the entire police force and threaten to detonate the nuke if the outside world interfered...who the heck knows how the government would respond? That would be completely unprecedented.

It's just that the chances of that happening are pretty much zero.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #23
Victarion
The Iron Captain

The forced peace of the Dent Act made it more reasonable. Corporate crime was the big thing in Gotham after the streets were cleaned up. Bane milked Daggers pretty well to set things up.

I was more thinking about enemy occupation; not necessarily who the enemy's troops were.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #24
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now

Some of the things in Rises were much more plausible than Begins but they both draw a thin line in how it handles it's grounded in reality tone. The Dark Knight is easily the most grounded.

CapedCrusader14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #25
TheGothamKnight

As realistic as the movie with ninjas in the mountains and a microwave emitter vaporizing water in mains but not bodies or the movie with a guy who is able to talk perfectly fine after having half his face burnt off and falling from the top of a building and surviving? Yes.

TheGothamKnight is offline   Reply With Quote