Old 10-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #101
Nathan

Default Re: Green Arrow series in the works at The CW - Part 3

Sooo... business suit and blond wig?

Old 10-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #102
jaymes_e06
TRINITY

... but a SEXY buisness suit and a FUNKY blonde wig.

Huh huh, who's with me?

:o
Old 10-22-2012, 12:10 AM   #103
DrDoom
Dictator

And she uses a bullhorn to fight crime

"Please, no human can hold such power"

"You're WRONG!"....."ONE can"
Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #104
Deathstroke
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
Either way, you dont have Dinah Laurel Lance, no matter if she goes by her middle name or not and have her around to be just the helpless love interest. Gail Simon and others have worked to hard to make her, her own character. Ill give them a season or 2 but if they never get her out of her current role, it would probably be enough for me to stop watching.
That's a bit extreme. This show isn't even about her. It's about Arrow. He's the hero. It makes sense why they aren't really pushing her towards Black Canary. That should probably come towards the end of the series, if anything.

The 'Laurel' name change was probably intentional to avoid any issues with DC and the character. They're obviously doing their own thing with this character. If they were following the comics, Dinah would probably only be a young teenager at this point. She's generally much younger than Oliver, who is into his 40s when he meets her I think.

As far as Laurel goes, she's actually wielding a tazer or gun in the upcoming episodes this season (see Arrow NYCC preview) like Rachel in BB, so she will have some self defense abilities and be into the action.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:39 AM   #105
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Slightly changing a characters age, is not as disrespectful as changing their, well character. Hence his disapproval. It doesn't matter if the show is about Green Arrow, they should show the same respect for his supporting universe as they do for him, for example:

Smallville had an amazing Lex Luthor (best character in the series)
The Dark Knight trilogy all round great supporting cast
Avengers had a pretty good Nick Fury

etc. Now, let's say the Bruce Wayne TV series got commissioned years ago, but R'as Al Ghul, instead of being a ninja with extreme fighting abilities, was a ruthless businessman, you could see people having the same problem.

If, as you say, they are distancing themselves from the character, the could have introduced another new character.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #106
Deathstroke
Banned User

I wouldn't go that far. I don't consider Black Canary as critical to his supporting universe. Especially at this point, when he's basically at Year One.

Basically they need to spend a few years getting Oliver/Arrow established first as a superhero before attempting to bring in other heroes.

He's still a rookie. Way too soon for his supporting superhero family.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #107
Spider‐Man
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
I wouldn't go that far. I don't consider Black Canary as critical to his supporting universe. Especially at this point, when he's basically at Year One.

Basically they need to spend a few years getting Oliver/Arrow established first as a superhero before attempting to bring in other heroes.

He's still a rookie. Way too soon for his supporting superhero family.

At comicon panel Googenheim said she'd become a hero 'not as soon as you'd like but a lot sooner than you'd expect.' and said when you see that you'd go 'oh yeah, I understand that statement now.' that says to me not only does she become BC but they know when it will be. My feeling is it will be first season since first season is all they're guaranteed at this point.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #108
Nathan

I wonder how they'll pull it off. Oliver was 5 years on an island, doing hardcore training, to become the man he is today. How are they going to transform Laurel into a righteous ass kicker?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #109
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

I don't think she will be fighting crime as a vigilante 'ass-kicker' or anything like that. I think she will continue to fight crime as a lawyer and she will get dubbed the black canary somehow because of her cries or yells for justice. They will think of something clever.

IMO seeing how the show is going with no powers and a strong protagonist in GA, I don't think we need a crime fighting Black Canary to add to the mix. Yeah it would be nice to see and the fanboy in me would like for characters to stay true to the comics whether Golden Age or Silver, but making her character a crime fighter super-hero with no powers or with through a chemical accident would just be jumping the shark given how the show has set itself up so far.

If the writers just all of a sudden say Laurel has secretly been taking Brazilian jujitsu and hapkido in the 5 years since Oliver's absence in order to make her a better lawyer then THAT will make me dislike and not watch the show lol.

Keep her how she is. Bring in huntress, The Question, and all the other non-super-powered heroes and I'm good. Smallville did an okay job with Black Canary and the use of super-powered heroes & villains (notice I said 'okay'). I wouldn't mind if this show just kept everything grounded in some form of reality as much as possible. I could live with that for a few seasons if not its entirety.

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Old 10-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #110
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
etc. Now, let's say the Bruce Wayne TV series got commissioned years ago, but R'as Al Ghul, instead of being a ninja with extreme fighting abilities, was a ruthless businessman, you could see people having the same problem.

If, as you say, they are distancing themselves from the character, the could have introduced another new character.
From the comics and cartoons I always considered Ras more of a businessman, war lord, international terrorist than a ninja with extreme fighting abilities. So if a tv show was to make him a ruthless businessman similar to Kingpin that controlled the criminal underworld I wouldn't see where most would have a problem with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMoral View Post
Also, for good measure, Golden Age Black Canary(Dinah Drake) wore a blonde wig amd was actually black haired. Her husband, and father of Laurel, was GCPD detective Larry Lance. Is Laurel's father's name Larry in the show?
Nope his name is Quentin.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #111
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Now I've never read any issues of Green Arrow. I know him from mainly JLU and Young Justice. But is he supposed to have a stick up is butt all the time like Stephen Amell plays him in Arrow ?

I mean, he's kind of an a$$hole all the time.

Tony Stark was also an a$$hole in Iron man but you loved him for it. Shouldn't Oliver Queen be a bit more like that ?

He lacks that charm that always works great for rich, handsome characters like this. Green Arrow in JLU and YC is a much more relaxed, not-so-uptight character. Even Justin Hartley's interpretation of the character is more in line with what I'd imagine it should be like. Just a charming loveable guy.

This guy is always being too serious and angry or something, but maybe that'll change.

And does Green Arrow always say "You have failed this city" ? It's getting kinda tired by now.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #112
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
Now I've never read any issues of Green Arrow. I know him from mainly JLU and Young Justice. But is he supposed to have a stick up is butt all the time like Stephen Amell plays him in Arrow ?

Tony Stark was also an a$$hole in Iron man but you loved him for it. Shouldn't Oliver Queen be a bit more like that ?

He lacks that charm that always works great for rich, handsome characters like this. Green Arrow in JLU and YC is a much more relaxed, not-so-uptight character. Even Justin Hartley's interpretation of the character is more in line with what I'd imagine it should be like. Just a charming loveable guy.

This guy is always being too serious and angry or something, but maybe that'll change.

And does Green Arrow always say "You have failed this city" ? It's getting kinda tired by now.
"You have failed this city" is his calling card...kind of like Spoon! lol

Yeah, he was usually represented to be more of a smart-mouthy, charismatic, environmentalist, for the people type of person. This show has made him more like Bruce Wayne in the Batman series being a d**k in public to cover his identity.

Last edited by Midnight Black; 10-22-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #113
Nathan

Maybe he needs more time to grow into the Oliver from the comics. I don't know if I could pull off fun and charismatic after 5 years of hell on earth.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #114
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Black View Post
From the comics and cartoons I always considered Ras more of a businessman, war lord, international terrorist than a ninja with extreme fighting abilities. So if a tv show was to make him a ruthless businessman similar to Kingpin that controlled the criminal underworld I wouldn't see where most would have a problem with that.
I second this statement. Personally, I'm all for reinterpretation so long as they incorporate and start from some core element of said character so as to be somehow recognisable. Is it unfortunate that in this case it's that she's Ollie's love interest? Maybe. But fan response could very potentially been worse if the love interest wasn't Black Canary but someone new while the show is also probably better off with her not being a superhero or ass-kicker.

This is especially so if Huntress is going to be a recurring character. And doubly so if she too plays a potential love interest for Ollie. Having Laurel know martial arts and/or be competent in a fight would render the two of them a little too same-y; resulting in a lack of character diversity. Moreover, in a setting where most people aren't master fighters, it's important to actually have characters who aren't good in a fight.

Lastly, it's interesting there's all this hate being levelled at Laurel and the liberties the show has taken with her character while at the same time, no one is clamouring for Speedy/Thea to go tagging along with Ollie on his nightly fights against crime; even though the changes they've made to her character is as much or even more than Laurel's.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #115
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

^^ THIS^^

Old 10-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #116
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

do they call him ollie on the show at all or is just oliver.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #117
protocida
Side-Kick

Speedy calls him "Ollie".

Old 10-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #118
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Laurel called him Ollie as well.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #119
3dman27
super-hero wannabe

only his friends callhim ollie to everyone else he's either " oliver" or"mr. queen"

Old 10-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #120
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post

For me, the thing to remember is that, as of the most recent episode, he's only been back from 5 years of hell on a 'deserted' island for, what? About a week? It's going to take time for him to readjust and probably figure out how exactly he wants to handle his 'public persona'

That's kind of one of the reasons (as I believe I've stated) that the sister is bugging the hell out of me right now, he surely has at least SOME PTSD and her constant pushing him to gush about his experiences on the island, and how alone SHE was while he was 'dead' and how it's all about HER, surely isn't helping him sort things out.

Just my opinion though.

~Agents of SHIELD
Old 10-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #121
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

They did say they have an idea for Speedy. I have three speculations to what they might plan for him:

1) His sister will become Speedy and join him as a crimefighter. They foreshadowed that in the first episode when he called her Speedy and even more in the second episode where she tells Ollie to "let someone in" on everything that happened. Not to mention that she is currently doing drugs and Speedy did drugs in the comics too.

2) They will introduce Roy Harper eventually and he will become Speedy. This is pretty straightforward but it's the least likely of the three possibilities IMO.

3) There won't necessarily be a Speedy but John Diggle will become some sort of sidekick or ally of Arrow. He may find out Oliver is Arrow down the road and then join him as his partner, and maybe even driver (like Kato), or he will serve as the Alfred-type of ally, meaning he will sit in the background and cover for Oliver whenever he is not around or has to leave a public place to go out as Arrow.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #122
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Maybe he needs more time to grow into the Oliver from the comics. I don't know if I could pull off fun and charismatic after 5 years of hell on earth.
That could be.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #123
HighFivingMF
Welp.

They said they already have plans for Roy. Also, full season order!

Old 10-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #124
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Yep good for them for a the full season order.

They should just start out Roy as a junkie who Ollie used to know in high school or something, have them be close, Ollie helps him get clean and have him join in the good fight in season 2. Then of course you know introduce Chesire and maybe adapt Artemis.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #125
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

If Roy is introduced it will be as Arsenal I imagine, so as not to mix him up with Thea, who could be more like Mia Dearden's Speedy.

Closed Thread