The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 05-15-2013, 02:19 AM   #376
Spade
Cool and Chiseled

Default Re: DC Relaunching Everything? - Part 10

Still don't get why classic Brainiac is in the future. Wasn't the whole point of the reboot to do these characters differently? Morrison's Brainy-pede wasn't that bad.

Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #377
CLARKY
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
I don't think anybody's surprised. A lot of us assumed the New 52 was only going to be a short-term boost. I think the only really surprising thing about the New 52 is just how genuinely bad so many of its comics have been. It's kind of reassuring, to be honest: you can pull out all the tricks you want and get a bit of short-term gain, but genuine quality is the only insurance for long-term success.

That's probably overly optimistic, actually. Lots of Marvel's top-selling comics suck too.
Surprised? No. I knewsince the beginning that takingthe red trunks of Superman was clearly not the right type of change comics needed. I completely, completely agree with you on this: it wasa short term boost, which is a even worse idea, since the only real thing working on the long term is, like you said, genuine quality.
But they (DC) sell their new stuff with such a strong conviction, that, sometimes, I forgot that it's possible to be THAT stupid, and find myself thinking "oh yeah, why not? After all this could work too". I agree most of their New 52 is..."bad" in general. It seems to me it's getting worse and worse since... Identity Crisis more or less. Does anyone else get that vibe too?
Sadly I just buy Aquaman and some Snyder's stuff on batman. I'll stop GL with issue #20, I suppose.
Really, sometime I wonder where the hell are they thinking. You can't, you absolutelycan't make so often so many ****** decisions without actually thinking it through. And be paid for it.

CLARKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #378
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Because crossovers aren't about the villains, so they won't waste space on the promotional material showing them.
Villains are part of the story. Why not show the heroes teamed up against the villains, since that makes sense. As opposed to showing the heroes always fighting, which is just dumb. It's not a waste of space, it's utilizing it.

I just always hate the whole hero vs. hero thing. It's dumb and pointless.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #379
CLARKY
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
I just always hate the whole hero vs. hero thing. It's dumb and pointless.
Same here.

CLARKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #380
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Demon Knights, Legion of Super-Heroes, Dial H, and Threshold have been cancelled.

I am saddened by the bold. When it comes to Legion I say "finally!!!" Levitz was on cruise control which is why I dropped the series altogether very early on. He may be one of the greatest Legion writers but nothing he has to say today with them is interesting in anyway.

Those characters are too iconic and important to the DCU tapestry to be given such shoddy treatment. Keep them on ice until a really passionate & imaginative creative team actually wants to do something with them. Stop giving them irrelevant volumes just because it's the Legion. They deserve better.

I knew Threshold wouldn't last so I didn't even bother. Today's market has no room for wacky Keith Giffen stuff as proven by the cancellation of OMAC last year.

Anyway I won't replace DK or Dial H with anything. I'm done picking up books from any of the upcoming waves. I've let DC get me engaged in niche series to see them abruptly end for far too long now (since the days of Hawkworld to be specific).

Most recently (last few years) it's been done with too much frequency for my taste. R.E.B.E.L.S., Zatanna, Xombi, Voodoo, I Vampire and OMAC are a few of many that I got really into in the 2010's only to see them disappear forever without a trace.

So now I'm just content with what I read right now well enough and if anything I read gets cancelled well it's just another $3 left in my bank account at the end of every month.

Pull list: Saga, Thief of Thieves, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Shadowman, Green Lantern, Red Lanterns, Justice League 3000, Action Comics, Superman/Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Red Hood & The Outlaws, Swamp Thing, All-Star Western, Earth 2, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #381
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

I'm in the same boat here. With the book's I'm getting this month, in the next couple of months, five of my books are either ending or getting cancelled on the DC end and three of my Marvel books are ending. I only intend on getting one new book so far to replace the loss of eight titles. Nine, since I'm anticipating Marvel to announce the end of Journey into Mystery relatively soon. And taking into account in the past, I've already lost 11 books because I decided to either drop them (like Nightwing and Batgirl) or lost them to cancellation (like I, Vampire and Frankenstein).

Last edited by hippie_hunter; 05-19-2013 at 05:18 PM.
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #382
Anubis
Sup?

Try Saga and Manhattan Projects over at Image instead.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #383
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I'm in the same boat here. With the book's I'm getting this month, in the next couple of months, five of my books are either ending or getting cancelled on the DC end and three of my Marvel books are ending. I only intend on getting one new book so far to replace the loss of eight titles. Nine, since I'm anticipating Marvel to announce the end of Journey into Mystery relatively soon. And taking into account in the past, I've already lost 11 books because I decided to either drop them (like Nightwing and Batgirl) or lost them to cancellation (like I, Vampire and Frankenstein).
You bite your tongue, sir!

Old 05-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #384
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post

XCain

Pull list: Saga, Thief of Thieves, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Shadowman, Green Lantern, Red Lanterns, Justice League 3000, Action Comics, Superman/Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Red Hood & The Outlaws, Swamp Thing, All-Star Western, Earth 2, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Old 05-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #385
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Quote:
Since the relaunch I've ended up with 18 titles gone from my pull list either due to cancellation (including Frankenstein and Men of War) or me just dropping them [Ie: Batwoman, GL family books outside the main book, both Legion books, Teen Titans, Justice League, Batgirl, Nightwing, Swamp Thing, Stormwatch, 'tec, Action Comics]

I initially replaced a few of the cancelled ones with some wave 2 titles (Earth 2, Dial H, World's Finest) but now that James Robinson is leaving I will probably end up dropping Earth 2 eventually as well depending on where the next writer takes it.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #386
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I'll get those when Image releases the inevitable hardcovers for those books.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #387
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
You bite your tongue, sir!

With sales the way they are, I think it's pretty obvious that August's issue is going to be the last one. Marvel canned Red She-Hulk with no announcement.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:48 AM   #388
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah, I figured it'd happen sooner or later once Kid Loki left the series. JiM would always have had an uphill battle, and Sif's never captured people's interest the way Kid Loki managed to.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #389
Anubis
Sup?

But is it still good?

Old 05-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #390
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Very much so. Kathryn Immonen's been doing a great job finally exploring what gods other than Thor think of being on Earth. Seriously, it's taken this long to actually get into how the rest of the gods--the ones who aren't the son of the spirit of Earth and haven't spent decades as a human--are acclimating to the world around them. The whole first arc of Sif's JiM stuff was her (rather rough) transition to accepting that Earth is her home and the gods aren't quite what they used to be. (Not that they're weaker, they're literally just not free to do whatever the hell they like in their own private dimension.)

Old 05-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #391
SpideyInATree
Never Go Full Retard

I knew it was only inevitable that they were cancelling Dial H but it still saddens me that it's happening.

http://www.glitchpoint.com

Check out their song Ignition
SpideyInATree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #392
Anubis
Sup?

Was that any good?

Also, do I think your opinion is s**t?

Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #393
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I scrolled down quickly and caught Anubis' last post. I immediately thought "he's probably referring to something I said." Then I thought better of it. If he were talking about me he wouldn't be questioning whether my opinions were junk. It'd be assumed.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #394
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

I am so happy that Simone has brought Sarah Rainmaker back in The Movement

She was my favourite Gen 13 character and one of my favourite Wildstorm characters as well

Makes me so happy to see another lesbian hero in the new DCU now and I already cannot wait to buy the next issue when it comes out

Humankind is enslaved by giraffe
Mystirious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #395
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Paul Jenkins is the latest writer to go off on the big two and DC in particular.

Quote:
I’m going to remove myself from working for the foreseeable future with Marvel or DC, and I’ll be working exclusively from now on with BOOM! Studios. I’m finally going to make myself happy again in the process.

In recent years, I have watched, helpless, as editors made pointless and destructive changes to scripts and artwork that they had previously left alone. It bugs me that the creators were a primary focus when the mainstream publishers needed them, and now that the corporations are driving the boat, creative decisions are being made once again by shareholders.

So I am fully committing to working with BOOM! Studios, where I have already enjoyed more creative freedom in the last six or seven months than I can possibly articulate. Ross Richie has reanimated a beast that I had thought was extinct: namely, he has created an environment of trust between the creator and the editor. The culture of BOOM! is one that I admire; one that I miss terribly, and I can easily recognize: I told Ross recently that working with BOOM! reminds me of my days at Marvel Knights.
Quote:
DC is in the toilet right now. It reminds me of the way Marvel was just before we did Marvel Knights. I’ll let you draw your own conclusions about the similarities and connections. Suffice it to say they have created a culture of dishonesty that affects too many creators. And the worst part of all is that they bully their creators. They tried to bully me, and I told them to go to Hell. The horror stories are many and varied. I have a few of my own, and I have heard way too many of them from various creators who are being beaten into submission with the threat of losing their jobs if they do not play ball.

DC seem to have developed a culture where they think “professionalism” is screwing a creator in some fashion, and then pretending to be friendly at a convention. Professionalism is about handing in quality work on time, or about being friendly to fans at conventions, or about working towards a mutually beneficial goal. Professionalism is about dedication to your craft, not about running around the offices like a demented gerbil telling everyone how busy you are – so busy, in fact, that you forget to do any actual work. Here’s what pisses me off about this situation: it does not take a rocket scientist to see that there are a lot of very unhappy creators at DC lately. Well, can you imagine how many more are unhappy that we don’t know about because they feel if they speak out they will be blacklisted? Can you imagine the miserable conditions some of these creators are subjected to? (Disclaimer: not all creators, I am sure. Some are perfectly happy. Just not me.) The point is that DC has begun to act like a bully, to subject people to s***** working conditions as if it is doing them a favor. If I have seen good comics come from the creator/publisher collaboration, why the hell would I allow myself to be subjected to that nonsense at this stage of my career? I have numerous other interests, including film and video game work and my first novel.
With Ed Brubaker, Greg Rucka, Nick Spencer, Chris Roberson, Rob Liefeld and others walking, all saying basically similar things, and add in Garth Ennis and Warren Ellis publicly saying they're glad they don't work at DC/The Big Two (respectively) anymore? things aren't looking good in the industry.

Last edited by chamber-music; 06-07-2013 at 12:23 PM.
chamber-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #396
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Interesting stuff. I'm hoping all these disgruntled employees find major success in the Indy field using Image, Boom, Dark Horse, etc. so that those stocks can rise. I'd love to see the comics industry stop being a two party system.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #397
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I don't think DC and Marvel will ever lose their power monopoly on the American comic industry especially now they subsidiaries of large multinational corporations. The comics aren't even a big part of the companies business either. Comics are effectively a marketing tool for movies, television shows and merchandise.

The sad fact is that they hold the big name household superheroes. People will always want to read comics about the likes of Batman and Spider-Man and there will always be comic writers willing to put up with almost anything for the chance to write them.

I can see more Marvel writers getting disgruntled in the near future with Marvels ever increasing event wide driven sales tactics. I think I remember a writer or two has already saying that sort of thing is interfering with titles in a way that is detrimental to the overall quality of the books.

Last edited by chamber-music; 06-07-2013 at 02:25 PM.
chamber-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #398
Lord
All Mighty

How bad are the conditions in Marve and Dc exactly? I thought the writers could work at home while the biggest pressure was on the artists

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #399
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

more and more of these stories keep coming from DC. they're treating their creators like crap and the quality of their output reflects that. their sales are showing it too.

things need to change at DC. they need new leadership. they need to clean house and regain the respect of all the creators they've screwed over.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #400
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

This is interesting, as all of the horror stories I have heard of Marvel occurred during the Shooter days. Not that I doubt any have emerged since or are now, it is just that those were the ones I repeatedly encountered.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote