The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results: How much will Iron Man 3 make world wide?
500 Million 2 1.14%
550 Million 4 2.29%
600 Million 4 2.29%
650 Million 6 3.43%
700 Million 9 5.14%
750 Million 10 5.71%
800 Million 16 9.14%
850 Million 30 17.14%
900 Million 33 18.86%
950 Million 9 5.14%
1 Billion 31 17.71%
1.1 Billion 11 6.29%
1.2 Billion 3 1.71%
1.3 Billion 1 0.57%
1.4 Billion 0 0%
1.5 Billion 6 3.43%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #301
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Default Re: The Iron Man 3 Box Office Prediction Thread

^ point

Jesus Christ that was over 30 years ago, how long does it take people to move on.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 03-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #302
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
You live in the city where Superman was born.
Yeah I always knew he was created here, never knew Metropolis was based on Cleveland though.. pretty awesome. I'm basically famous now right?

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
Old 03-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #303
DieSmiling
WINNING

Domestically I see the floor at $350mm and the ceiling at $425.

Internationally is tougher. It wouldn't shock me if this did monster overseas numbers after the Avengers.

Prediction:
Domestic: $405mm
Overseas: $580mm
WW: $985mm

Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #304
Marvin
Side-Kick

I'm sure it's been said but this film faces the cbm second sequel curse. I doubt it will overcome it, however we may have an inversion here due the first sequel sucking.

Also Shane Black? I know he's got this bad ass reputation amongst people that loved 90's buddy action films and he himself talks a big game...somehow between that and avengers people aren't really taking to the idea that marvel just went and give their a list franchise to some cheap replacement.

Is Ironman really that big a draw without Avengers? Coming off of IM2 that is.

IM3 faces a seasoned star trek and Fast 6 as it's comp going into the later weeks.

Just some stuff to think about.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #305
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Only whiny internet fanboys pretty much had a beef with IM2. The critics liked it and more importantly the GA loved it as well they should since it was awesome.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #306
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I'm sure it's been said but this film faces the cbm second sequel curse. I doubt it will overcome it, however we may have an inversion here due the first sequel sucking.

Also Shane Black? I know he's got this bad ass reputation amongst people that loved 90's buddy action films and he himself talks a big game...somehow between that and avengers people aren't really taking to the idea that marvel just went and give their a list franchise to some cheap replacement.

Is Ironman really that big a draw without Avengers? Coming off of IM2 that is.

IM3 faces a seasoned star trek and Fast 6 as it's comp going into the later weeks.

IM3 isn't facing a "second sequel curse" of any sort. IM3 has the biggest hype of any Iron Man movie to date; IM3 is coming hot on the heels of Marvel's piece de resistance, the biggest box office blockbuster in history that didn't have James Cameron attached to it; and IM3 has the biggest hype and buzz of any movie in 2013. The trailers show the biggest, most jaw-dropping action of any Iron Man movie ever. The villains are genuine certified blue-ribbon Hollywood eeee-vil, i.e. Guy Pearce and Ben Kingsley. Unlike, say, a couple of TV funnymen like, say, Topher Grace and Thomas Haden Church.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 03-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #307
Marvin
Side-Kick

The second sequel curse doesn't refer to hype. However the fact is the second sequel curse embraces it, nurture's it, only to be betrayed by it.
ie see all the hype for the seconds sequels of this genre in the past.

As for Ben Kingsley and Guy Pearce...ya I just looked up their recent works. If Whedon didn't deliver in the way that it did(thank goodness favreau didn't get that one), and this film was simply coming off of that "much loved" IM2, than an odd looking villain paid by the villain from other failed tent pole endeavors probably wouldn't be as big a sell. If I'm not mistaken, the last most people saw of old Ben was that Persia movie and other failed films before that. Guy Pearce's last big appearances were that Lock out, that Prometheus, Lawless, all fall short in terms of what's needed here imo.

Unlike say TDKR(not a fan btw) which had a supporting cast of "new to the genre scene hot actors".

I don't think the "GA" loved IM2 as much as they loved "IM1" unlike say Spidey/Bat's/Xmen...etc But I could be mistaken.

I'm sure it will make some money, but I think the hype is misleading at the moment. And Marvel is loving it, those guys are obsessed with hype.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #308
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
The second sequel curse doesn't refer to hype. However the fact is the second sequel curse embraces it, nurture's it, only to be betrayed by it.

As for Ben Kingsley and Guy Pearce...ya I just looked up their recent works. If Whedon didn't deliver in the way that it did(thank goodness favreau didn't get that one), and this film was simply coming off of that "much loved" IM2, than an odd looking villain paid by the villain from other failed tent pole endeavors probably wouldn't be as big a sell. If I'm not mistaken, the last most people saw of old Ben was that Persia movie and other failed films before that. Guy Pearce's last big appearances were that Lock out, that Prometheus, Lawless, all fall short in terms of what's needed here imo.

Unlike say TDKR(not a fan btw) which had a supporting cast of "new to the genre scene hot actors".

I don't think the "GA" loved IM2 as much as they loved "IM1" unlike say Spidey/Bat's/Xmen...etc But I could be mistaken.

I'm sure it will make some money, but I think the hype is misleading at the moment. And Marvel is loving it, those guys are obsessed with hype.
But Whedon delivered, thats what matters, and now the MCU is firmly in the minds of the GA. The trailers for IM3 have shattered YouTube records for views and likes. We don't even know the numbers from iTunes and Yahoo yet, they're probably huge as well. There was an article showing social media analysis that showed very very positive responses from people who viewed the trailers. The Superbowl spot, despite most of us thinking it wasnt anything special was still on top of the list of most memorable movie spots when results were compiled the next day

Anyway, all the hard figures available right now point to IM3 making some serious bank. The only thing that will derail it is negative critic reviews. And are you going to seriously question Ben Kingsleys actual acting talent? Yeah he's been in some bad movies lately but which actor hasn't? And don't get me started on Pearce, the guy is widely respected as one of the best character actors out there by anyone who knows film.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #309
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Quote:

Well both got the same 'A' from CinemaScore and they're about the most reliable of any polling company for films.

Compare that to XMFC and Thor which both got a 'B+' and TIH & Captain America TFA both got an 'A-', & Green Lantern which got a 'B'. Both TDK and TDKR also got an 'A' and Avengers got an "A+".

Last edited by kedrell; 03-22-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #310
Mr.M
Side-Kick

I am going with about a 160-180 million OW. 420 Domestic. 9.5-1 billion WW.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #311
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the last most people saw of old Ben was that Persia movie and other failed films before that.
Or maybe his performaces in Hugo and Sexy Beast

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 03-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #312
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

I think Hugo was the most recent and by all accounts I heard it was a very good movie...that is if that kind of movie is up your alley. It wasn't for me so I never saw it.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #313
DieSmiling
WINNING

I'm curious how fans respond to the marketing campaign (and potential tone) of IM3. They're obviously going a bit darker and more intense than the first two, more badass, less funny.

On some levels I think that will work extremely well, but I'm worried they might lose some of the charm that made IM so popular in the first place.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #314
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
Or maybe his performaces in Hugo and Sexy Beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I think Hugo was the most recent and by all accounts I heard it was a very good movie...that is if that kind of movie is up your alley. It wasn't for me so I never saw it.
He said that Prince of Persia was the last movie that most people saw him in. I don't think a lot of people saw Hugo or Sexy Beast.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #315
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

He was also in Shutter Island recently. Never saw it, myself. That made nearly as much $/sold as much tickets WW as PoP did(which itself was a flop).

Old 03-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #316
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

iron man 2 was good, especially from a GA perspective. avengers is less than a year old and hugely popular. RDJ is one of the most bankable stars. IM3 is in 3d. China's involvement will boost its gross in asian markets. China has a massive population, so lots of people to potentially spend money on IM3.

If it reviews well, lets say between 80-95% on RT, then this movie will break 1 billion.

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 03-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #317
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
iron man 2 was good, especially from a GA perspective. avengers is less than a year old and hugely popular. RDJ is one of the most bankable stars. IM3 is in 3d. China's involvement will boost its gross in asian markets. China has a massive population, so lots of people to potentially spend money on IM3.

If it reviews well, lets say between 80-95% on RT, then this movie will break 1 billion.
^ I agree

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 03-23-2013, 05:36 AM   #318
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
He was also in Shutter Island recently. Never saw it, myself. That made nearly as much $/sold as much tickets WW as PoP did(which itself was a flop).
I've seen Shutter Island like 4 times and it's never registered to me that it was Ben Kingsley hahaha.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #319
Juicy J
Side-Kick

In terms of superhero releases next year, this is how I see it going
1. Iron Man 3, just over a billion. Coming almost exactly a year after the biggest superhero movie of all time, its a no brainer that IM3 will dominate. As if that wasn't enough, every single trailer and TV spot has premiered to immense hype. Guaranteed first spot.
2. MoS. I genuinely think this movie will make between 750-800 mil, off of Nolan's name and positive word of mouth. I know there is somewhat of a stigma on superman movies, but from what I can tell I think this is the one to break that curse and reignite the superman hype.
3. Thor TDW. Once again, Avengers hype will no doubt carry this to big box office numbers, I'm thinking 700-800 mill also. I could see it surpassing MoS, but since I think Superman will probably beat it out I put him at number 2.
4. Wolverine - genuinely no clue. I say 600 if I had to guess, but I couldn't tell you.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #320
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Don't see Wolverine going much higher than $450m. But it may surprise us. It really is a weird type of x-factor.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #321
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Don't see Wolverine going much higher than $450m. But it may surprise us. It really is a weird type of x-factor.
Yeah now that I think of it 600 is waaaaay to high, I take that back.
No previous X film has made it over half a billion dollars and I really don't see this one doing any different.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #322
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

With Wolverine it's in a curious place. It's an X-property IP but it has split off from the main line. XOW was awful but the most recent X-film was XMFC and that was more or less good and well received. But will The Wolverine get any credit from that? Very unusual situation there.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #323
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Exactly. Sort of no precedent for this situation.
I think it'll probably bring in some decent coin, but I don't see it surpassing any of the other three Marvel/DC properties this year. Unless we're including Kick Ass.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #324
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Kick Ass 2 wont get my money,
I HATED the original.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #325
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

I predict..one hundred...billion...jillion...fafafillion...shibbi tydoo...dollars.

#wtF

#IbelieveinBatfleck2k16
Closed Thread